Is it a cardinal sin to give up high draft picks as a rebuilding team?

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

I had guys like Trent Williams in mind with this thread. Would you protect your QB right now until you can find your guy for the next 10 years? But it would cost a 2nd. It’s beneficial that your QB doesn’t get killed but it’s also a 2nd rounder gone. Not ideal when April rolls around. BUT is ideal for the development of Darnold and his health 

2nd rounders could be in play but they have to be longer term solutions. I can’t see spending that much on any player 30 and older. We have to bite the bullet and deal with the fact that we were mismanaged and had horrible drafting the last 5 years when we knew we’d be drafting a young QB that would need support. It’s REALLY a bad and I don’t think some people realize how bad it actually is. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

2nd rounders could be in play but they have to be longer term solutions. I can’t see spending that much on any player 30 and older. We have to bite the bullet and deal with the fact that we were mismanaged and had horrible drafting the last 5 years when we knew we’d be drafting a young QB that would need support. It’s REALLY a bad and I don’t think some people realize how bad it actually is. 

Beachum got abused Monday night. That can’t happen when Sam comes back.

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Beachum got abused Monday night. That can’t happen when Sam comes back.

It’s going to happen and it sucks and is unacceptable but we can’t compound mistakes. Keep in mind that Sam has a unique skill set where taking in the blitz and letting things break down, can be turned into good plays. We have to hope for the best and make sure he is 100% recovered and not risking his life since he wil inevitably get clobbered behind this line. Can’t take ANY chances with the spleen situation.

Next offseason, we invest EVERYTHING into offense to properly support him. Worry about edge and corner whenever. Enough is enough and we won’t be a playoff team next year anyways so might as well make up for lost time and give offense every resource possible. What a disaster. This is why I absolutely hate Mac. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

By the time the trade deadline (Oct 29), we will  at best, be 2-6.  Hopefully Joe Douglas has a brain and trades Le'Veon Bell and Robby Anderson.  We shud get a 2 and a 5 for Bell and a 4 for Robby.  I dont think anyone else on the team is worth much of anything, and you keep Mosely and Adams as defensive leaders.  My guess is with an easier final 8 we end up 6-10 or just on the fringe of the range of elite players coming out.  At least we would have a 1, two 2s, a 3 and two 4's and hopefully come away with 4 impact players- assuming Douglas is not another fraud.

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s going to happen and it sucks and is unacceptable but we can’t compound mistakes. Keep in mind that Sam has a unique skill set where taking in the blitz and letting things break down, can be turned into good plays. We have to hope for the best and make sure he is 100% recovered and not risking his life since he wil inevitably get clobbered behind this line. Can’t take ANY chances with the spleen situation.

Next offseason, we invest EVERYTHING into offense to properly support him. Worry about edge and corner whenever. Enough is enough and we won’t be a playoff team next year anyways so might as well make up for lost time and give hike every resource possible. What a disaster. This is why I absolutely hate Mac. 

Our last two gm were so freaking bad. 

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Next offseason, we invest EVERYTHING into offense to properly support him. Worry about edge and corner whenever. Enough is enough and we won’t be a playoff team next year anyways so might as well make up for lost time and give hike every resource possible. What a disaster. This is why I absolutely hate Mac. 

I feel you. Good post. This makes a ton of sense. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I been thinking about the Jets unique situation with being a rebuilding team that has only a few steps to go and how far they would be willing to go in trades that include very good to elite talent. Is there a limit or unsaid rule that a rebuilding team shouldn’t be giving up high picks for players no matter the ability of the player or need in position. Especially for a rookie GM.

No draft picks are lottery tickets. Sometimes they work sometimes they don’t. If you have a proven talent trade for it 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s just my opinion. What do I know. I and many here, sure as sh*t know way more than the Mac and that’s unacceptable. How did that even happen? This is why I hate the Johnsons but that’s another story. 

I respect it. I really just wanted to start some good conversation. I think people got caught up on my own personal stance than anything though lol..

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I been thinking about the Jets unique situation with being a rebuilding team that has only a few steps to go and how far they would be willing to go in trades that include very good to elite talent. Is there a limit or unsaid rule that a rebuilding team shouldn’t be giving up high picks for players no matter the ability of the player or need in position. Especially for a rookie GM.

NADA

NEVER

We are probably looking at a top 5 pick, and QUITE possibly a top three.

There is NOBODY worth that out there in a trade.  You have to figure if there is, they are someone who is a locker room cancer, or is looking for BIG money soon.  Why give up a high pick that you can pay lower for five years?

The FA's by Douglas have not worked out so far, but this really is not worth getting a twist over.  Once in a while you find a Pete Kendall when you go Yard Sale-ing. 

Now, if he starts signing guys next year to big money that don't work out, AND he drafts poor.....

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Few steps huh

A03E827C-CF3F-41BE-8341-D6E988924540.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I hate when people say WR1,2,3 ... CB1,2,3. 

a lot of these jobs can be filled with young talent in FA with how young edge rushers hit the market last year.

And what young talent is signing here?

The only young talented player on the block worth trading an early 1st for is Jalen Ramsey. Problem is that would be a 1-year rental, because there’s no chance in hell he signs here long-term.

Draft, draft, draft.
  • Upvote 1

Because the label #1 WR is far and wide between. It is not an actual position. We have WR’s. We don’t have enough good WR’s that can play X. That’s is the actual issue. I don’t refer to WR/CB by No.1 types or No.2 types. That’s all I was saying. 

Well whatever you want to call our receivers is fine. Point is Quincy Enunwa’s career might be over, and Robby Anderson is set to hit free agency. So we need 2 new starting WR’s.

It depends what you do with those draft picks;

it has been over a decade (06/07) since the Jets had a first or second round pick get through a second contract, most were gone during or after the rookie contract...

Chez and Mo are the only picks to sign second contracts and only last a year maybe two, out of ~30 picks in 15 years 

• Sympathy 1

Most of you were saying 10-6 before the season but now it’s different lol...

And? Things change in a heartbeat in the NFL. Supposed potential contenders become bottom feeders overnight, and vice versa. You have to adjust expectations on the fly and make moves accordingly.

I had us at 7-9 prior to the start of the season. This is a sh*t roster outside of Mosley, Bell, Darnold and maybe QW.
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

good teams build through the draft and player development.  We draft Kyle Wilson.  Pats draft Gronkowski 15 picks later....   We draft Adams, let 2 good QBs go and then lose 3 seconds to get Darnold  who can’t get on the field. 

Think about Brick, Mangold, Harris, Revis, Cotchery etc..... DRAFT.

Good teams are good because they draft well, not because they don’t trade away draft picks. 

I prefer Jets to trade picks outside of top 10. Haven’t done squat with them in over a decade anyway.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Good teams are good because they draft well, not because they don’t trade away draft picks. 

I prefer Jets to trade picks outside of top 10. Haven’t done squat with them in over a decade anyway.

Unless we get a repeat of the Idzik 12 or MAC.  I am not kidding when I say that I could have done better than MAC.

• Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think some of you guys are getting caught up on agreeing or disagreeing with my stance on the Jets roster rather than understanding the real question.

should rebuilding teams trade valuable assets?

Draft assets?  No way.   Not now.  Maybe when you become a playoff team and are ready to make that final push to a Super Bowl you trade away a pick for an impact player.  But right now the needs are many and the talent isnt good.