Should the Jets make a run at Trent Williams or Jalen Ramsey?

TxJetfan

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Why are some of you worried about giving up a first rounder for a known pro bowl player at a need position?

8B948458-094C-491D-87EA-D8BB0AB456EA.png

It’s not like they’ll be missing out on anything and they already have their QB and yes I need to charge my phone. 

Pick numbers having a 6 in them are almost all bust. WTF is that draft list. I could pick better picks out of random names out of a hat selected than the moron scount and Gm's that selected these all pro bums.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

No and no.  Build through the draft.

The more I think about it, the more I agree with you.  Looking at the top O-lines, most of those players were drafted by them.  Not a lot of piecing together through trade or free agency. Indy (big improvement last year), Dallas, Pittsburgh, even NE does it for the most part...another thing they have in common regarding the O-line...most have DEPTH!!!

I can't see Joe D give up a top choice in the draft for any of these 2.  I believe Joe D wants to develop through the draft that's why he got a 6 year contract.  There's still a lot to build around believe it or not.  New staff and major injuries have hurt the start of the season.  It is what it is.  Time to just deal with the season ahead.  Another season in JET misery paradise.  

I agree. I have no problem with signing guys who are released like taco, but I want JD to have his full compliment of draft picks going into the draft. Right now we are down a 7th it looks like but have all of the rest.

Let this team fight through the adversity and see who does what. Using high draft picks for aging stars who haven’t played this season yet is not smart. Trading for consistent malcontents is not smart either.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

We are a four win team at best flirting with a top three pick.

Is a headache like Ramsey, who is going to want Revis money in a couple of years, REALLY worth picking a top three player and having him under control for 5 years?  UM.....no.

You build through the draft.  I get it, everyone is gunshy after Idzik and Mac.  Any misstep and you are clamoring for the wolves.

But the ONLY way this franchise gets out of its decade-long rut is to hold the picks, draft well for three years, and be ready to rock.  If you drink the Kool-Aid and go for the easy fix, we are back to the Idzik-Mac debacle.

This place would explode if we had a Revis part II situation on our hands a year or two from now.  

I think if Trent Williams agreed to a reasonable 4 year contract starting this year and JD thought he would hold up as a solid LT for Darnold, the Jets should give up to their 2020 2nd round pick for him.  

It is not really logical to think you have a FQB but Beachum as his LT.  If you have a FQB, you need to pay an LT.  Hopefully TW would come at a slight discount given his situation.  

When the other clowns were playing QB, the Jets did not need to pay for an LT.  Now they do.  The team has many needs.  The first round pick next year will be too high.  Knock of the LT and look for EDGE, WR and CB in the draft/FA.  

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

and then you will never do a deal as a GM.  

that's just not how you negotiate with others who you have to deal with again.  

the offer is fine - the sliding scale thing just doesn't work.  

I can't imagine that language like this is not routinely voiced by successful GM's in trade discussions.

The team getting the player is going to want that player for as many games as possible, because as the season continues their return on investment value continues to decline.

Maybe if I phrase the idea differently then we can agree.

For instance the Jets offer 2020 2nd & 5th round picks, give Wash a deadline that the agreement must be made by Monday after week 3.  Then a vague statement of "we have some other things in the works to move on to if this trade is not able to be completed by that date.  Perhaps, later on the year though we could still offer you something, of course at lesser value than this, if a trade is at that time in both of our team's best interests"

then after week 4 call them up and offer a 2nd & a 6th  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Trent for a 2nd.

This is the time to play C Edoga at LT .  Start developing him now when you have the third string Qb behind center.   You know what you have with K Beachum at LT ( he's not going to be back next year ).

The Jets aren't winning anything this year , and why it's stupid to invest in a 31 year old LT Trent Williams.  Time to start building an offense line that's going to be around for awhile, and not for the short haul.

36 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

Ramsey will probably  go to Redskins 

No teams giving the Jaguars fair compensation if they can't sign him to a longterm contract .( he wants to play for a team with no state income tax- keep more of his money) .   That's isn't the Redskins.

I think the Raiders are a strong possibility .    One they have two number one picks( only one going to the Jaguars).  Second they have extremely young secondary as none of their CB's are even 25.   ( not counting safety L Joyner who play nickel CB) .   J Ramsey is only 24( 25 in October) so he has a lot of prime years left.      If the Raiders offered the Bears number 1 pick, and G Conley ( their best CB) I can't see the Jaguars not taking that deal.  

Jalen Ramsey listed Vegas as where he would like to play.  ( so a longterm deal is very possible- not to mention they have all that Antonio Brown money hanging  around.

1 hour ago, ljr said:

I can't imagine that language like this is not routinely voiced by successful GM's in trade discussions.

The team getting the player is going to want that player for as many games as possible, because as the season continues their return on investment value continues to decline.

Maybe if I phrase the idea differently then we can agree.

For instance the Jets offer 2020 2nd & 5th round picks, give Wash a deadline that the agreement must be made by Monday after week 3.  Then a vague statement of "we have some other things in the works to move on to if this trade is not able to be completed by that date.  Perhaps, later on the year though we could still offer you something, of course at lesser value than this, if a trade is at that time in both of our team's best interests"

then after week 4 call them up and offer a 2nd & a 6th  

You are getting better but calling them a week later and lowering doesn’t work. Plus if Sam takes five sacks them can turn around and say second and fourth. Lol

30 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

No teams giving the Jaguars fair compensation if they can't sign him to a longterm contract .( he wants to play for a team with no state income tax- keep more of his money) .   That's isn't the Redskins.

I think the Raiders are a strong possibility .    One they have two number one picks( only one going to the Jaguars).  Second they have extremely young secondary as none of their CB's are even 25.   ( not counting safety L Joyner who play nickel CB) .   J Ramsey is only 24( 25 in October) so he has a lot of prime years left.      If the Raiders offered the Bears number 1 pick, and G Conley ( their best CB) I can't see the Jaguars not taking that deal.  

Jalen Ramsey listed Vegas as where he would like to play.  ( so a longterm deal is very possible- not to mention they have all that Antonio Brown money hanging  around.

one year in Washington, then Vegas

Why are some of you worried about giving up a first rounder for a known pro bowl player at a need position?
8B948458-094C-491D-87EA-D8BB0AB456EA.thumb.png.3370ba78c99f76c617d3265fd86ccf85.png
It’s not like they’ll be missing out on anything and they already have their QB and yes I need to charge my phone. 

Because there’s no chance in hell Ramsey signs here long-term. We’d be giving up the # 2 or 3 overall pick for a 1-year rental.

20 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

We are a four win team at best flirting with a top three pick.

Is a headache like Ramsey, who is going to want Revis money in a couple of years, REALLY worth picking a top three player and having him under control for 5 years?  UM.....no.

You build through the draft.  I get it, everyone is gunshy after Idzik and Mac.  Any misstep and you are clamoring for the wolves.

But the ONLY way this franchise gets out of its decade-long rut is to hold the picks, draft well for three years, and be ready to rock.  If you drink the Kool-Aid and go for the easy fix, we are back to the Idzik-Mac debacle.

agree with most of this.  there have been many teams that waded whole heartedly into the free agent market and got a bad team for their efforts.  the biggest hurdle the jets need to overcome is the very poor 2nd-4th round drafting over the past 7 seasons or so.  these are the guys that make up the meat and potatoes of the team and both idzik and mac missed wildly on these choices.  it's going to take time and simply trading for williams and/or ramsey may help those two positions but do they really help the team overall?

17 hours ago, EdReed22 said:

Adams and Williams straight up for Ramsey. We trade a loud mouth and a slacker for another shutdown CB who is also a loudmouth.

There's a lot of talk on these boards about trading Leo and Adams. Why get rid of Leo when we have no idea of how good Q. Williams will be? Plus, it's more than a stat line that gives the full measure of how well a player is doing.  Leo does a lot of good things that don't appear in stats.  As for Adams, who takes his spot if he's gone? Too often, we as fans are reacting out of emotion instead of logic.  The trade I would make would be Trumaine Johnson, but that can't happen until next offseason due to the cap hit.  We have a new coach and GM dealing with a banged up roster and poor draftees left over from the previous regime. I feel we need to not over react only 2 games in although the next couple of weeks (games) don't look too promising.  I'd suggest we give these guys (HC and GM) some time to put their stamp on this team and as hard as it is for us Jets fans, be a little patient....for now

16 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

LOL, I thought the raiders had great young talent at CB and like 10 backups equally talented.