Jet's Luke Falk has proved everyone wrong before

joewilly12

Jets’ Luke Falk has proved everyone wrong before

September 20, 2019 | 1:52pm | Updated 

Washington State coach Mike Leach saw one of his former pupils play well for the Jaguars on Thursday night and expects another to do the same thing for the Jets on Sunday.

Gardner Minshew threw for two touchdowns to lead the Jaguars over the Titans on Thursday. Now, Luke Falk will try to pull off an even greater feat for the Jets in Foxborough on Sunday against the Patriots.

“He’s a real good game manager. He knows all the tricks,” Leach said in a phone interview. “One distinction, that is pretty hard to ignore, is he’s the all-time leading passer in the history of the Pac-12 that throws it more than anybody. I think he’s a great game manager. He’s always been a student of the game and utilizes all his weapons out there, which I think is kind of the most important job of a quarterback.”

Falk put up prolific numbers for the Cougars under Leach in three-plus years as the starter. As Leach mentioned, his 14,481 passing yards are the most in Pac-12 history. He also holds the conference record with 119 passing touchdowns. He threw for the eighth-most passing yards in FBS history and the 10th-most passing touchdowns.

Leach said Washington State began recruiting Falk, who missed his junior season in high school due to Utah transfer rules, late in the process. Washington State needed a quarterback, but did not have a scholarship. Falk had no scholarship offers, according to Leach. Only Cornell was recruiting him and it does not give scholarships.

Falk walked on at Washington State and quickly became its No. 2 quarterback. He became the starter late in his freshman season and then started the rest of his college career.

Luke Falk had a prolific career as a walk-on at Washington State.Getty Images

Despite having such a prolific college career, Falk lasted until the sixth round in the 2018 NFL Draft. Leach said he is still unsure what NFL scouts did not see in Falk.

“It’s interesting to me. Somehow they always think our guys have weak arms, which they don’t,” Leach said. “He’s a tall, statuesque guy. He’s not as fast as some of them would have liked. Other than that, I don’t know. It’s a great question. I can’t say I know the answer to that. I certainly would have taken him sooner than they did.”

While Falk faces a daunting task on Sunday against a 2-0 Patriots team that has not allowed a touchdown yet this season, Leach believes in him.

“I think he’s going to do a good job,” Leach said. “I read that everybody felt he knew the offense better than all of them, which doesn’t surprise me. That’s characteristic of him. He does a great job of studying and knowing his personnel. Obviously, New England is definitely a challenge but I think Luke will do a really good job.”

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

What if Luke Falk pulls this off and passes the Jets to a victory? I mean it's possible. What if he really does it? Does Darnold get his job back right away or do we ride the hot hand of Luke Falk? Its a problem Id love the Jets to have.

If Luke Falk beats the pats, he will be the 2nd best QB we ever had. Sam who?

• Thumb Down 1

23 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Nice fluff piece, Falk isn’t beating NE in  Bean town.

Look Aaron Rodgers isn’t beating NE in bean town.

He’s a limited QB, with what looks like nice accuracy. I hope he becomes Sam’s back up long term.

The Patriots don't play in Boston ? Most of NE can't stand Massholes...We only share great tastes in our teams. Massholes are despised, especially in my great state of Maine...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I know where you play, I’m not bothered about your infighting, if Vermont is better then Massachusetts or Maine, your all pretty much the same, insufferable.

I’ve yet to meet a humble Patriots fan. You seem to be a bunch who lack any self awareness and come across as arrogant.

I take it your ”Maine” motivation to join a Jets chat forum is to Troll and generally be smug ,and come and laugh at the losers..

I can never understand people who join other teams forums, although I think it’s a good insight into their psyche.

I do wonder how many would be Pats’s fans if they had to endure the level of play we’ve seen for the last decade?

Enjoy while you can, people don’t play forever even the great Tom Brady.

Don't you realize that the forum with the most trolls is the Patriots forum??? YOU might not understand...

Patriots and Red Sox fans all know suffering. We've spent decades enduring jokes and heartbreak. Sox went 80+ years and the Pats 30 +years...

My boys only know the success of these teams. I barely remember last century...

You chose the wrong franchise...

• Thumb Down 6

39 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

What...

Your the victim? - And your team has Won 6 Super Bowls since 2001?  - Yet the pain from 20 years ago was unbearable lol  ? 

You can’t make this up..

OK...

The greatest moment in Jets history, in the last 50 years, was when Nameth handed the Lombardi to NE... 

"Victim" is a NJ term...

• Thumb Down 7

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s a limited QB, with what looks like nice accuracy. I hope he becomes Sam’s back up long term.

That’s perspective and reality. It’s his first NFL start. Survival will be his #1 priority.

• Upvote 2

Who was the last QB to beat the Patriots in Gillette during the regular season? It's so rare I truly don't know. 

Damn, I wish we were healthy at 100% with Sam & Herndon, especially with 3 of their starting Olineman down. But we're not, so we literally have no chance because we can't take advantage of what is a clear weakness, Brady does not do well with pressure & the Pats who have been living with a horseshoe stuck far up their azz are playing the banged up Jets with a 3rd string QB & not the Baltimore Ravens this weekend which would be the game of the week. 

Sar had it right, you rest the injured, you take your lumps & you go into the bye to get healthy & straighten out the issues on this Oline. Jets will miss the playoffs because of that Bills game by 1 game. After we get through this tough schedule filled with injuries, Sam & the Jets will go on an epic roll to end the season. JD then goes to work on 2020. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tiffany980 said:

Don't you realize that the forum with the most trolls is the Patriots forum??? YOU might not understand...

Patriots and Red Sox fans all know suffering. We've spent decades enduring jokes and heartbreak. Sox went 80+ years and the Pats 30 +years...

You can't  be serious. I'm supposee to feel sorry for you?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tiffany980 said:

Not sure too many of us "chose" to be Jet fans. Its more of a thing you inherit like the diabeetus. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

as much as I want to root for this kid,  Jets are going to get crushed.  NE knows we are just going to rely on Leveon to run the ball, so they are just going to stack the box and put pressure on the run and dare the pass... With their solid secondary, we have zero weapons on offense sans Leveon where we can make any kind of threat passing the ball.  Gilmore will shut down Robby,  double Crowder underneath then what else do we have?  Nothing.  LIterally nothing... Bellamy?  haha. Falk may just pass screen it to Leveon at the line for a -2 yd loss everytime.  You need some kind of passing game to compliment you're running game and vice versa to be successful in this league..  It's gonna be another "defense constantly on the field" type game.  We all know it.  We need stories like this about Luke Falk to give us a small, small , small glimmer of some kind of hope.  But like they say, any given Sunday.  I guess.    (btw, sorry if my first post on here is doom and gloom..haha.  Just calling it like I see it..)

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Nixhead said:

What if Luke Falk pulls this off and passes the Jets to a victory?

That would be really great.

I mean it's possible.

Is it tho?

What if he really does it?

That would be really great.

Does Darnold get his job back right away

Of course he does.

or do we ride the hot hand of Luke Falk?

One fluke win (Falk win? Ficken win?) is not a "hot hand".

Its a problem Id love the Jets to have.

Having a long-term quality backup to pair with Sam would be great.  Falk doesn't have to win Sunday to potentially be that guy.

I seen Luke play in some Washington State games the guy is very underrated. The guy should have been picked in the first 3 rounds. This guy at one point was considered a first round pick what killed him was he took a concussion in his final Bowl game Appearance and left the game early teams didn't get to see him not to mention he got lost in a biggest QB draft class overshadow with kids like Darnold,Mayfield ect. I dont want to jinx him but I think alot of people are going to be shocked sunday this kid at this point knows the system better than Simien or Darnold.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JetsBoom99 said:

as much as I want to root for this kid,  Jets are going to get crushed.  NE knows we are just going to rely on Leveon to run the ball, so they are just going to stack the box and put pressure on the run and dare the pass... With their solid secondary, we have zero weapons on offense sans Leveon where we can make any kind of threat passing the ball.  Gilmore will shut down Robby,  double Crowder underneath then what else do we have?  Nothing.  LIterally nothing... Bellamy?  haha. Falk may just pass screen it to Leveon at the line for a -2 yd loss everytime.  You need some kind of passing game to compliment you're running game and vice versa to be successful in this league..  It's gonna be another "defense constantly on the field" type game.  We all know it.  We need stories like this about Luke Falk to give us a small, small , small glimmer of some kind of hope.  But like they say, any given Sunday.  I guess.    (btw, sorry if my first post on here is doom and gloom..haha.  Just calling it like I see it..)

welcome to the jungle 

no they aren't going to win. but will they cover?  LOL

10 hours ago, Nixhead said:

What if Luke Falk pulls this off and passes the Jets to a victory? I mean it's possible. What if he really does it? Does Darnold get his job back right away or do we ride the hot hand of Luke Falk? Its a problem Id love the Jets to have.

Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady all over again!

1 hour ago, JetsBoom99 said:

as much as I want to root for this kid,  Jets are going to get crushed.  NE knows we are just going to rely on Leveon to run the ball, so they are just going to stack the box and put pressure on the run and dare the pass...

This is what I do not understand about most coaching in the NFL....

EVERYBODY who has ever watched the game for any length of time knows this is what the plan is.  So why not come out and throw the ball deep?  Throw it deep a few times.  Get them off balance a bit.  I mean, what have you got to lose?  We might go 0-3?  You are going to go 0-3 if you try and run the ball two times in a stacked box and give Falk 3-8's every series as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

All of this.  Falk would prevent us from needing to spend a few million on a veteran backup for a while.  Or having to carry 3 QB's.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

For some odd reason I think this kid Luke Falk is going to beat NE tomorrow. 

I think this is the cycle that I go through. Hopeless on Monday, hopeful by Friday. Saturday that gut feeling is pumping out a W. Sunday, I mourn. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Brooks Bollinger 2.0

Stop the madness. 

• Thumb Down 1

8 hours ago, Tiffany980 said:

Bullsh*t. If you dont suck Bradys cock 100% on a Pat's board. They ban you.immediately.

I luved in Boston in the 1990s. There were no Patriots fans then. You're all bandwagon phonies that either used to be Giants fans, or simply dont have any history as an NFL fan and don't know the game at all. 

Now **** off. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Nixhead said:

If Luke Falk plays well and overcomes 99-1 odds by beating the Pats then I think Darnold's spleen might mysteriously remain enlarged unto Falk next loses.