How to Survive Without Darnold and Win Patriots Week and Shock the World and Not Stop Believing

Vader

People relying on the jets defense to win games have not watched this team for the last 5 or 6 years.

The defense always folds.

Even last week, oh the defense playing well!  then give up that massive 85 yard play and a number of awful penalties.

the defnese is not going to rescue this team and there is no way we can score 30 points vs a good team let alone a medicore team with no Darnold.

Put this false hope to bed, the jets may hang with the pats for a quarter or two but in the end they will get trounced.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is a terrible gameplan.  Its exactly what the pats expect.

The way to win this game is let Falk go bananas and sling it all over the yard.  Go down guns blazing.

That’s how u are losing the game 70-0. With 10:00 left in the third qtr 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I 

I think you are wrong on this one. 

BB was clearly agitated in todays presser. 

The team is in turmoil this AB situation ruined the entire game plan, they practiced with him all week at WR. 

The NY Jets not only shock NE but the entire NFL by beating them on Sunday. 

Adam Gase has had good results vs NE throughout his entire career. 

joewilly12 

If Luke Falk wins this game it will cause a QB controversy and rip the locker room apart.

It is critical that we lose this game.  We can't get to 9-7 unless we go 0-3.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

It isn’t happening. Not a member of the Jets will believe it is either.

We’re a mediocre team at best with horrific depth and injuries against a good healthy team with depth.

Keeping it within 17 points would be impressive for me.

At least OP has a game play which is a lot more that we've seen from Gase in week 1-2.  Of course it's not all that likely, especially the part about confusing Brady...cause that ain't happening but at least I'll have something in mind to look for at game time.    

I think a reasonable, optimistic goal should be to have the offense score two TDs with Falk looking at least respectable. The Pats defense is likely the best one he’ll ever see, so just moving the ball on maybe two drives would be nice. If Falk goes out and throws five picks, I’ll start to be a little worried. It’s clear Gase is punting until Darnold comes back, but he’s gotta make sure the team doesn’t outright quit before then. 

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Luke Falk wins this game it will cause a QB controversy and rip the locker room apart.

It is critical that we lose this game.  We can't get to 9-7 unless we go 0-3.

SAR I

You are one of my favorite posters because of your optimism, but the last sentence makes no sense 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is a terrible gameplan.  Its exactly what the pats expect.

The way to win this game is let Falk go bananas and sling it all over the yard.  Go down guns blazing.

Kinda hard to sling it all over the yard when your lying on your back with your ankle at a right angle. . 

• Haha 2

I believe there is a zero chance of winning this game and prefer to look down the road.  I would put Bilal on the active roster for this game.  The last thing I would do is give Leveon a ton of touches in a unwinnable game and have him get the sh.t beat out of him and have that hurt linger.  Let Powell take the hits.  I don't play Mosely  at all.  I let him heal up so he's good for the rest of the season.  Why risk further injury in this unwinnable game.   Trumaines can plant his ass on the bench another week and let the young guys get some reps.  I switch out some of these O line guys to see what combination is working best for when the kissing bandit returns at QB.   I take  shots at Brady and take the 15 yard penalty if it's late  That's for 20 years of making me effin miserable.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Vader said:

LeVeon Bell and Gregg Williams.

So. Jets are toast and will lose by 40 points. Ok. 

For the Pats to score, Brady has to be on the field. 

How do we limit this? Ball control. A game plan that will shock the world. Keep the ball in Bell’s hands for 80% of the offense, keep the clock running. Don’t get down by too much. Keep it close. A running game sometimes takes all game to 

1) wear a defense down

2) break out with a big run 

3) set up the play action for a big play 

if we can stay committed to a run game with an OL that has the best run blockers playing and in a game plan that is both straight ahead and creative, we can limit the Pats snaps and keep Brady cold.

partner this ^ with an inventive defensive effort meant to confuse, and keep the offense from explosive plays — last week Gregg Williams had a great game plan. 

The defense should play much more zone and keep the O in front. Make the tackle. Zone blitzes but mostly coverage and play light DL that can rush the passer. If the pats run the ball, that’s a strategic victory.

obviosly, not easy. But Luke Falk knows the offense well. It’s always any given Sunday. Remember when Rex started a game and ran like 20 times in a row? 

backs against the wall, maybe the team can pull it together, come up with something truly creative and cash it in.

Imagjne pulling it off. It isn’t impossible. I smell chicharon. 

So ground and pound. We have the pound, D has averaged 16pts, allowed? got no O, The O has to average at least 22 in general. D and ST's can't do 

it all.

We CAN'T stay committed to the running game. The patsies are well aware of what we'll attempt to do. They're going to stack the box and take Bell out of the game. Then, they'll bracket Jamison Crowder also, thereby severely limiting the passing game. Our defense will not be able to keep up with the patsies high flying offense. Sunday will be a lower bottom than anything you've seen in recent memory. This is the life of a Jets fan.

3 hours ago, Vader said:

How do we limit this? Ball control. A game plan that will shock the world. Keep the ball in Bell’s hands for 80% of the offense, keep the clock running. Don’t get down by too much. Keep it close. A running game sometimes takes all game to 

1) wear a defense down

if we can stay committed to a run game with an OL that has the best run blockers playing and in a game plan that is both straight ahead and creative, we can limit the Pats snaps and keep Brady cold.

partner this ^ with an inventive defensive effort meant to confuse, and keep the offense from explosive plays — last week Gregg Williams had a great game plan. 

The defense should play much more zone and keep the O in front. Make the tackle. Zone blitzes but mostly coverage and play light DL that can rush the passer. If the pats run the ball, that’s a strategic victory.

obviosly, not easy. But Luke Falk knows the offense well. It’s always any given Sunday. Remember when Rex started a game and ran like 20 times in a row? 

backs against the wall, maybe the team can pull it together, come up with something truly creative and cash it in.

" for the Pat's to score, Brady has to be on the field"

Wrong. Patriots defense will outscore the jets on Sunday.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think a reasonable, optimistic goal should be to have the offense score two TDs with Falk looking at least respectable. The Pats defense is likely the best one he’ll ever see, so just moving the ball on maybe two drives would be nice. If Falk goes out and throws five picks, I’ll start to be a little worried. It’s clear Gase is punting until Darnold comes back, but he’s gotta make sure the team doesn’t outright quit before then. 

Agree.

The Jets have one more blowout loss in them before the wheels start to come off in the locker room.  

Assuming the Jets get killed this weekend, their only chance to have an interesting season is to get Darnold back for the Eagle game and have him play well immediately. 

3 hours ago, Vader said:

1) wear a defense down

Not sure this is the way to go. Belichick is know for taking away the best option which is Bell so expect 8 man fronts. I think we need to run but late. We need to use Falks strengths and open up the run through the pass.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

We CAN'T stay committed to the running game. The patsies are well aware of what we'll attempt to do. They're going to stack the box and take Bell out of the game. Then, they'll bracket Jamison Crowder also, thereby severely limiting the passing game. Our defense will not be able to keep up with the patsies high flying offense. Sunday will be a lower bottom than anything you've seen in recent memory. This is the life of a Jets fan.

Beating the Pats is the bottom?

3 hours ago, Vader said:

We have implemented this game plan on Monday night and scored 3 points. 

3 hours ago, Vader said:

Not sure what you meant by best run blockers playing. Lev Bell leads in league in broken tackle % and still only is averaging 3 yards a carry. That’s because he is constantly breaking tackles behind the line of scrimmage. 

3 hours ago, Vader said:

Luke Falk knows the offense well. It’s always any given Sunday

I would actually like to see more throws on first down in this game. The box is going to be stacked with 8 all day with the attention on Bell. Throwing on first downs with quickly times passes will open more holes for Bell on the shorter downs to distance. Face it, if we win Falk is going to have to sling it around a little. Putting him in long third downs against these corners is only going to make it worse. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You are one of my favorite posters because of your optimism, but the last sentence makes no sense 

Thank you.

Here is why the last sentence makes perfect sense:

In order for the Jets to save the season and make a run towards the playoffs, the players need to be sold on the concept of "hope".  Hope that CJ Mosely returns healthy, Sam Darnold returns healthy, Williams, Jenkins, McLendon, etc.  Herndon coming back.  Hope that on October 6 at 1pm in Philadelphia, the Jets find themselves only 1 or 2 games out of the wild card with 13 games to go and the whole team focused at the job at hand.

And the only way the Jets get to that New Opening Day and live up to this concept of "hope" is if everyone important is healthy and ready to go on October 6.  So the fewer important players we start this Sunday in New England, the better.  The New England game doesn't matter.  It was a loss on the schedule back when it was released in April.  It's a loss whether by 3 points or 30.  So we let it go, we lose, we come out with no further injuries, and clear minds needed to avoid an imploding locker room before the bye.

Two weeks off, everyone back healthy, we take one of the two games against the Eagles and Cowboys, and from 1-4 we start our march towards 7-6 in the easy part of the schedule and ultimately our shot at 9-7.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Your kidding right. SAR's optimism has never made the slightest sense. Losses = wins, boat load of woulda,coulda shoulda hypothetical nonsense. QB with a 4-14 record and almost as many INT's as TD's gets labeled "Franchise". Jets are hurting and with their draft history it's not getting better anytime soon. Optimism is a road traveled by losers. SAR rents an apartment on it. 

16 minutes ago, Same Old said:

Your kidding right. SAR's optimism has never made the slightest sense. Losses = wins, boat load of woulda,coulda shoulda hypothetical nonsense. QB with a 4-14 record and almost as many INT's as TD's gets labeled "Franchise". Jets are hurting and with their draft history it's not getting better anytime soon. Optimism is a road traveled by losers. SAR rents an apartment on it. 

You picked the wrong quarterback.  Lamar Jackson was just sitting there and you took the Jim Kelly lookalike who isn't Jim Kelly instead.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Vader said:

1) wear a defense down

While I agree with your premise of the general game plan that most likely has the best chance of success, executing said plan will be nearly impossible, imo. Bell is the Jets only threat on offense. Any D is going to play to stop him on damn near every down. Add the fact that we are down to our 3rd string QB, forget it. Pat's D has looked great this year. Between our weak WR group and our 3rd string QB, the Pats D will play to stop Bell on every down. Bell would need to play at a hall of fame level to be able to carry this offense and make this game competitive, imo. 

13 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

While I agree with your general premise of the general game plan that most likely has the best chance of success, executing said plan will be nearly impossible, imo. Bell is the Jets only threat on offense. any D is going to play to stop him on every down. Add the fact that we are down to our 3rd string QB, forget it. Pat's D has looked great this year. Bell would need to play at a hall of fame level to be able to carry this offense, imo. 

Of course- it is dependent on execution 

Look it’s going to be entertaining, even if it’s a sh*t show.

Lets see how much fight they put up? :-

If Gase can show some innovation even if it fails?

If the Oline can improve from some of the worst play I’ve ever seen?

If they continue to bench under performing players, and if it can light a fire in them?

If Falk can play a good game even under the circumstances he’s in?

If Cashman and the other Rookies, UDFA, low cost vets continue to play well?

If Star players like Lev Bell continue to play hard?

Lots of questions and some answers will be given to this Sunday. When you hit the bottom there is no where else to go.

The next month is going to be very tough, but there will be no hiding. We will know any real strengths, and show all the weaknesses. It will be the template of our future. 

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

People relying on the jets defense to win games have not watched this team for the last 5 or 6 years.

The defense always folds.

Even last week, oh the defense playing well!  then give up that massive 85 yard play and a number of awful penalties.

the defnese is not going to rescue this team and there is no way we can score 30 points vs a good team let alone a medicore team with no Darnold.

Put this false hope to bed, the jets may hang with the pats for a quarter or two but in the end they will get trounced.

Unfortunately Beer is correct. Ever since Todd Bowles took over this defense, it has sucked. Rex consistently kept this defense with high rankings and did not fold anywhere near as often. When Bowles took over this defense it almost immediately went into free fall from any respectable rankings. The defense went from top 10, to the teens in 2016, and into approximately 25th in 2017 and then pretty much remained there despite Bowles getting a 1st round defensive pick almost every year. The fact is he SUCKED and anyone that was actually watching could have seen that LONG before the 2018 season.

Greg Williams is a much more respectable name in defense that's proven over and over again. However he just hasn't worked with this defense long enough. He lacks the talent to put up a truly formidable defense against the patsies.

Here's how this game is going to go:

The patsies will score first, they almost always do. 

The patsy defense will stack the box in an effort to stop Bell - and it will work.

They are also going to bracket the next best threat which is likely Jamison Crowder.

Luke Falk will not be successful throwing against this defense as they will disguise coverages and force him into probably two or more turnovers.

This game has ROUT written all over it. I'm thinking given how badly this team is playing right now, that 35-0 would not at all surprise me.