Why so many injuries?

Jetster

This team just doesn't seem like it was prepared to start the season physically. I watch a lot of football & the bad luck this Jet team has seems over the top. We lose Avery for the season, Mosely gets hurt, now Jenkins is out. It's not often you watch an NFL game & the announcers tell you the entire LB group is out.

Before the 1st game Robbie was questionable, my god we hadn't even started the season yet. We lose QW after a few plays in the opener. Now already KO & Winters (shocking) are banged up & questionable. It's becoming absurd. 

Sam Darnold & Mono is a fluke, then you add the benching of Trumaine Johnson & the suspension of our starting TE & Copeland & we're down to our 3rd string QB. The result is just a sh*tshow of epic proportions. We waited all offseason for this? 

And fans are killing the new Coach? Gase is an NFL coach, he's not a miracle worker. 

And typical of the New York Jets, the one week where the Patriots are in a bit of turmoil with the whole Brown situation & more importantly might have THREE STARTING OLINEMAN OUT of this game, starting LT, and both Guards & they're already playing with their backup Center with Andrews shelved but we aren't healthy enough to take advantage. Such is the life of a Jet fan. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Probably just bad luck. It is possible Gase is just managing the roster more cautiously for the long term with the early bye week. Maybe a lot of these guys who are out/questionable would just be playing if it were later in the season and we were in the playoff mix. Given the opponent, our QB situation and the week 4 bye it may just be a time to try and get healthy.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Probably just bad luck. It is possible Gase is just managing the roster more cautiously for the long term with the early bye week. Maybe a lot of these guys who are out/questionable would just be playing if it were later in the season and we were in the playoff mix. Given the opponent, our QB situation and the week 4 bye it may just be a time to try and get healthy.

The early bye is a blessing this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Sam Darnold & Mono is a fluke 

Contra Case

Fans are giving 14 a pass because we can't consider the possibility he's not worth the Jerseys we all bought.

Sam Darnold is a USC QB and has been living a college style lifestyle, finding the sweatiest 19 year olds to make out with at bridge and tunnel bars near Penn Station 

Remind you of anyone? He's a hot dog and a headband away from Sanchito. 

USC QB's motto should be "Hey, I'm only here for the Puss." 

At least Joe Willy had the decency to disinfect his mouth properly with whiskey. 

also he's never available. 2 years he's missed time. it's like all the selfishness of Sanchez with the durability of Chadwick 

nice guy im sure. maybe next time they can draft someone who's seen snow before 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Perrone_Jets said:

And we can't forget the 4 pre-season game too...those games can injure a player if he need show work to get a spot in the 53-man roster for the regular season.

Sent from my SM-A205G using JetNation.com mobile app

It’s weird, because they didn’t play those games, the starters, other than a cameo… With the lack of two a day practices and games,  I think it makes them even more vulnerable when they actually play game together, chemistry is not there, perhaps injuries from playing at full speed game... Perhaps more time in a preseason games as a full team with starters Coulda helped us and got us game ready... yeah a chance of injury, but we see that can happen anytime 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Contra Case

Fans are giving 14 a pass because we can't consider the possibility he's not worth the Jerseys we all bought.

Sam Darnold is a USC QB and has been living a college style lifestyle, finding the sweatiest 19 year olds to make out with at bridge and tunnel bars near Penn Station 

At least Joe Willy had the decency to disinfect his mouth properly with whiskey. 

also he's never available. 2 years he's missed time. it's like all the selfishness of Sanchez with the durability of Chadwick 

WTF?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

No contact and not full speed in offseason workouts.

No contact and not full speed in minicamp.

Barely any contact in camp. Shorter practices.  Softer practices.

Barely any playing time/contact in preseason.

All means early regular full-speed season games are going to blow alot of dudes out, injury wise.

While today's NFL player is massive and incredibly fast compared to days past, today's players have no idea what a real two-a-day practice or old school training camp is like. 

They're both incredibly powerful, and incredibly soft at the same time.  Like untempered steel.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

NFL starting QB is a prized job!  There are only 32 of these jobs in the world and it's very difficult to find qualified candidates.

Guys like Gardner Minshew, Luke Falk, Jacoby Brissett, Case Keenum, Mason Rudolph, Kyle Allen and possibly others will be starting this weekend.  All while Drew Brees (SB), Sam Darnold (#3 overall pick), Nick Foles (SB), Ben Roethlisberger (3 SB), Cam Newton (SB), Andrew Luck (All Pro) are out either this weekend, for the rest of the season or forever because of injuries/illnesses.

The NFL has worked hard to protect QBs but there's nothing they can do to stop the hand slap that hurt Brees, the non-contact elbow injury suffered by Ben or the mononucleosis contracted by Darnold.

The most amazing thing to me is the drop-off from starter to backup at the QB position.  DLineman often rotate easily, backup OGs can step in sometimes unnoticed, RBs rotate with reasonable consistency.....but very, very few teams have a backup QB where the drop-off is negligible.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The most amazing thing to me is the drop-off from starter to backup at the QB position.  DLineman often rotate easily, backup OGs can step in sometimes unnoticed, RBs rotate with reasonable consistency.....but very, very few teams have a backup QB where the drop-off is negligible.

Because at any given time, there's only about 15 guys, maybe 20, in the entire world who can do the job effectively.  

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

And typical of the New York Jets, the one week where the Patriots are in a bit of turmoil with the whole Brown situation & more importantly might have THREE STARTING OLINEMAN OUT of this game, starting LT, and both Guards & they're already playing with their backup Center with Andrews shelved but we aren't healthy enough to take advantage. Such is the life of a Jet fan. 

I think it’s just bad luck but to address this ^ ... we weren’t going to win anyway as long as Darnold is out.

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

This team just doesn't seem like it was prepared to start the season physically. I watch a lot of football & the bad luck this Jet team has seems over the top. We lose Avery for the season, Mosely gets hurt, now Jenkins is out. It's not often you watch an NFL game & the announcers tell you the entire LB group is out.

Before the 1st game Robbie was questionable, my god we hadn't even started the season yet. We lose QW after a few plays in the opener. Now already KO & Winters (shocking) are banged up & questionable. It's becoming absurd. 

Sam Darnold & Mono is a fluke, then you add the benching of Trumaine Johnson & the suspension of our starting TE & Copeland & we're down to our 3rd string QB. The result is just a sh*tshow of epic proportions. We waited all offseason for this? 

And fans are killing the new Coach? Gase is an NFL coach, he's not a miracle worker. 

i'm thinking it has to do with trying to get every player evaluated.  i'm pretty sure there weren't many players who were locks at their positions.  and there just isn't as much practice time available these days to go around.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Contra Case

Eat a Snickers Bit! 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Gase had similar luck in Miami year in and year out... perhaps there’s something to the way his program handles strength and conditioning or something along those lines 

This makes sense. The Rex Ryan Jets were oddly healthy all the time. I think that was a Sal Alosi, “way too many opioids thing” but still.

30 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I doubt it’s about being unprepared or some type of conspiracy....it’s simply bad luck.  The odds Of Darnold getting mono is probably slim yet it happened

I remember my first girlfriend getting mono when we first started dating. We madeout everyday all day. She also smoked my pole daily, so I figured that helped start the throat sickness lol.

• Haha 1

yea, I don't think it's anything but crap luck  with a sprinkle of Gase being extra cautious and resting guys with our bye coming up.  I don't hate it.   We have no chance tomorrow with our 3rd stringer (of course I hope I'm wrong).....why play guy's if they're hurting.  Rest up for 2 wks and come out swinging Week 5 with Darnold under center and lets win some games..