BCJet

Jags DE Yannick Ngakoue

I noticed Thursday night that Yannick Ngakoue didnt seem to get in on the sack fest against the Titans and it seemed like he was losing snaps to Josh Allen who had a big game.

Apparently Ngakoue turned down and contract extension in training camp, but now could possibly be expendable with Allen playing so well.  Rarely do good pass rushers become available in FA, and if he did, it could really allow us to fill a hole at edge rusher and not have to address it in the draft.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I noticed Thursday night that Yannick Ngakoue didnt seem to get in on the sack fest against the Titans and it seemed like he was losing snaps to Josh Allen who had a big game.

Apparently Ngakoue turned down and contract extension in training camp, but now could possibly be expendable with Allen playing so well.  Rarely do good pass rushers become available in FA, and if he did, it could really allow us to fill a hole at edge rusher and not have to address it in the draft.  

This is just the latest version of Jet draft logic....Lam Jones over Munoz, O'brien over Marino, Blair Thomas over Cortez Kennedy/Junior Seau, Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp etc. I swear, I think Macc knew he was toast after the draft, and he did his absolute best to destroy if for the team going forward. As usual, he did that part of his job to a tee.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

This is just the latest version of Jet draft logic....Lam Jones over Munoz, O'brien over Marino, Blair Thomas over Cortez Kennedy/Junior Seau, Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp etc. I swear, I think Macc knew he was toast after the draft, and he did his absolute best to destroy if for the team going forward. As usual, he did that part of his job to a tee.

What Jets "draft logic?"  The Jets passed on Munoz because of his knee, Marino because of the cocaine (and the fact that he didn't seem to give a sh*t about heaving INTs his last couple of years at Pitt), Sapp because of the weed.   Maccagnan, and Idzik before him, certainly did not seem to shy away from questionable characters with injury concerns.  People have been lambasting him for it all along.  

• Upvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 2

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac was not going to draft someone ranked lower by the various magazines. 

You know this is true for the first round

but if he just followed those magazines for rounds 2-7, we’d have a playoff roster

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

What Jets "draft logic?"  The Jets passed on Munoz because of his knee, Marino because of the cocaine (and the fact that he didn't seem to give a sh*t about heaving INTs his last couple of years at Pitt), Sapp because of the weed.   Maccagnan, and Idzik before him, certainly did not seem to shy away from questionable characters with injury concerns.  People have been lambasting him for it all along.  

It's the logic of passing up difference makers who will make a major impact on a team, take them to a different level. Not guys who are role player types, guys who need players as good, if not better than them, to raise their games. How many games did Munoz miss in his career because of his knee? Played 185, 184 starts. How many times were Marino or Sapp suspended for drug use?  That's the point. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac was not going to draft someone ranked lower by the various magazines. 

Guy literally used Tankathon to create his draft board.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

We should have drafted Allen

So ******* infuriating. 

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

He looked good the other night seems to have nose for the football. 

Meanwhile w continue the DL drafting year after year that has gotten us nowhere. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

He looked good the other night seems to have nose for the football. 

Meanwhile w continue the DL drafting year after year that has gotten us nowhere. 

Worse, they can't even get on the field.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Worse, they can't even get on the field.

Exactly and when the finally do will they be a game changer. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly and when the finally do will they be a game changer. 

😎 Is Wesco in the FBI witness protection program?

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

😎 Is Wesco in the FBI witness protection program?

They should have stuck with Neal Sterling at TE until Herndon gets back. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They should have stuck with Neal Sterling at TE until Herndon gets back. 

Shame what happened there. He looked like a promising young guy. You see that Rutgers is going to play Monmouth if FB in a couple of years?

• Upvote 1

Just now, section314 said:

Shame what happened there. He looked like a promising young guy. You see that Rutgers is going to play Monmouth if FB in a couple of years?

Yes and the way Rutgers looks Monmouth might beat them, always a decent football program. 

1 hour ago, section314 said:

It's the logic of passing up difference makers who will make a major impact on a team, take them to a different level. Not guys who are role player types, guys who need players as good, if not better than them, to raise their games. How many games did Munoz miss in his career because of his knee? Played 185, 184 starts. How many times were Marino or Sapp suspended for drug use?  That's the point. 

I don't  blame the Jets for passing on everyone except Marino. I mean Sapp was in total free fall in the draft. I remember Munoz in his draft and I was put off by the know issue. 

3 hours ago, BCJet said:

If this were a Jags message board and the DE you were talking about was Leo Williams there would be a chorus of, "Everyone got a sack except Wiliams!" posts and, "We should trade him."  Instead it's another team's player and rather than getting rid of him we want him?

55 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If this were a Jags message board and the DE you were talking about was Leo Williams there would be a chorus of, "Everyone got a sack except Wiliams!" posts and, "We should trade him."  Instead it's another team's player and rather than getting rid of him we want him?

Yep - EXACTLY the same logic, except for one little thing - Ngakoue has 8, 12 and 9.5, sacks in each of his first 3 years for a total of 29.5 while Leo has never had over 7 in a season for a total of 17 career sacks.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Yep - EXACTLY the same logic, except for one little thing - Ngakoue has 8, 12 and 9.5, sacks in each of his first 3 years for a total of 29.5 while Leo has never had over 7 in a season for a total of 17 career sacks.

That's absolutely a fair point.  But it would still be interesting to see Leo play with someone else, almost anyone else who is a significant outside pass rusher though.  The Jags front 7 has been excellent pretty much the entire time Ngakoue has been there.  Leo has played with average talent IMO.  Was really hoping to see what the entire cast of Leo, QW, Anderson, Mosley, Jenkins would look like when on the field at the same time for more than a couple quarters.  BTW...when on the field together this year they gave up 0 points thru almost 3 quarters of play.

5 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

i watched that game. he ws pure MEH.

i, btw, also advocated drafting him over Q. 

ahhh yes. Ngakoue.... the Pass Rusher from Maryland....

I remember it like it was yesterday. 2nd round of the 2016 NFL draft...

me - "he's gotta be the pick. We need a pass rusher sooo bad. It's a slam dunk"

Pennington - "The New York Jets select.... Christian Hackenburg" 

scanners_shot7s.jpg

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

ahhh yes. Ngakoue.... the Pass Rusher from Maryland....

I remember it like it was yesterday. 2nd round of the 2016 NFL draft...

me - "he's gotta be the pick. We need a pass rusher sooo bad. It's a slam dunk"

Pennington - "The New York Jets select.... Christian Hackenburg" 

scanners_shot7s.jpg

Bad memory then he was a 3rd rd pick??

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Bad memory then he was a 3rd rd pick??

huh.... he was on the board when we picked in the 2nd. Didn't make it to our 3rd, who become Jordan the ghost jenkins

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

That's absolutely a fair point.  But it would still be interesting to see Leo play with someone else, almost anyone else who is a significant outside pass rusher though.  The Jags front 7 has been excellent pretty much the entire time Ngakoue has been there.  Leo has played with average talent IMO.  Was really hoping to see what the entire cast of Leo, QW, Anderson, Mosley, Jenkins would look like when on the field at the same time for more than a couple quarters.  BTW...when on the field together this year they gave up 0 points thru almost 3 quarters of play.

Ive felt the same about Leo and will give him this season to see if playing in a new defense with Q next to him will help but I just dont think he has that next gear to be a true dominant player.  

Just now, Paradis said:

huh.... he was on the board when we picked in the 2nd. 

Oh ok he didn't go till the 3rd though..

8 hours ago, section314 said:

It isn't much of a point. The Jets traditionally drafted safe.  Yes, they missed on Munoz, Sapp and Marino.  Did I say any different?   I don't think that is the problem with Idzik or Maccagnan, though Maccagnan was a bit too cautious at the top of round 1.  What you are saying is that we need to draft better, but that isn't exactly earth shattering.  

I don’t think ANY of us would bitch if the 65 defensive lineman we have selected actually turned out to be great players but almost all of them are out of the league. It’s mind-boggling how we have continued to do this year after year. Stay the **** away!!! Aaron Donald is literally a once in a generation player. Chances are we will not draft the next Donald. Stay away!! 

16 minutes ago, cant wait said:

he’ll be a free agent next season. can the jags afford to tag him? 

They probably can since the cap has gone up so much and will increase huge once the new TV deal is done, but we have the same cap advantage, so maybe we overpay him similar to CJ.   I did read more on him and apparently he isnt great against the run, but if you get 12 sacks, who cares.

• Like 1