Doctor Says Darnold Should Be Shut Down For The Season

BroadwayRay

I know a lot of you are going to dismiss this as nonsense from Francessa’s doctor, but everything I’ve read about mono and spleen ruptures coincides with what he’s saying. He says they shouldn’t even consider resting him less than two months, but even then, there would still be risk.  

Mike Francesa Gets A Doctor's Opinion On Sam Darnold's Mono Recovery

LISTEN: Dr. Steve O'Brien Joined 'Mike's On'

Mikes-On-Screen.jpg?t6bZlrBKhENrn_NEDyex
MIKE'S ON
SEPTEMBER 20, 2019 - 5:

It’s not often that NFL players miss time due to infectious mononucleosis, but that’s what Sam Darnold is currently dealing with.

Listen to your team news NOW.

The Jets quarterback missed Week 2 after being diagnosed with the illness, and it’s still unclear when he will be able to return to the field. Most people recover from mono within two to four weeks, but the effects of the illness can sometimes linger for months.

On Friday, Mike Francesa got a doctor’s opinion on when Jets fans can expect Darnold back in action. Dr. Steve O’Brien joined “Mike’s On” and explained the possible risk of the second-year QB returning at all this season.

“There’s no precedent for someone coming back in the same year,” Dr. O’Brien said on WFAN. “They should not consider any contact for at least two months, and that’s in the ordinary case. Now, in a case of an NFL situation, you have a 290-pound guy with a plastic helmet coming at full speed at an unprotected guy. I’d love to be wrong here, but if something happened to him there would be no excuse. There’s no data to argue for him (coming back this year).”

Darnold was diagnosed on September 12, so as of Friday he has only missed eight days. Two months out would see the 22-year-old back sometime in the middle of November. But that two-month recommendation is supposed to be a minimum amount of resting time, so he could be out even longer depending on how his body recovers and on how his own doctors decide to treat this.

Dr. O’Brien pointed to the lack of data surrounding NFL players dealing with mono as another reason to be cautious about bringing Darnold back.

“There’s no data on this either way, and that’s the problem. What there is data on is what’s called auto-rupture. So not only can the spleen be big, but as we talked about, it can be vulnerable. And auto-rupture can be disastrous.”

Dr. O’Brien is worried about the threat to Darnold’s spleen if he were to come back soon. A ruptured spleen is a serious medical issue that can prove to be fatal in some cases.

In the meantime, the Jets will start Luke Falk at quarterback. New York’s offense struggled heavily against Cleveland without Darnold, and the opponents are only getting tougher. On Sunday, the Jets are in Foxborough to take on the Patriots.  

Francesa and O'Brien also discussed CJ Mosley, who also missed the Cleveland game and will likely be unavailable in Foxborough. 

Click on the audio player above to listen to Mike Francesa's full interview with Dr. Steve O'Brien.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

For every dr opinion you find that he should be shut down there are other dr options that he can get back on the field this season

Francesa being the Jet hater he is could have found Drs. If both opinions and have them debate it. Instead he went for the opinion he wanted to promote. 

I'm not saying Francesa is putting out fake news, but I am saying he is bias 

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

For every dr opinion you find that he should be shut down there are other dr options that he can get back on the field this season

Francesa being the Jet hater he is could have found Drs. If both opinions and have them debate it. Instead he went for the opinion he wanted to promote. 

I'm not saying Francesa is putting out fake news, but I am saying he is bias 

Or that's the Dr. Francesca has on every week during football season for years now.

27 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I know a lot of you are going to dismiss this as nonsense from Francessa’s doctor, but everything I’ve read about mono and spleen ruptures coincides with what he’s saying. He says they shouldn’t even consider resting him less than two months, but even then, there would still be risk.  

Mike Francesa Gets A Doctor's Opinion On Sam Darnold's Mono Recovery

LISTEN: Dr. Steve O'Brien Joined 'Mike's On'

Mikes-On-Screen.jpg?t6bZlrBKhENrn_NEDyex
MIKE'S ON
SEPTEMBER 20, 2019 - 5:

It’s not often that NFL players miss time due to infectious mononucleosis, but that’s what Sam Darnold is currently dealing with.

Listen to your team news NOW.

The Jets quarterback missed Week 2 after being diagnosed with the illness, and it’s still unclear when he will be able to return to the field. Most people recover from mono within two to four weeks, but the effects of the illness can sometimes linger for months.

On Friday, Mike Francesa got a doctor’s opinion on when Jets fans can expect Darnold back in action. Dr. Steve O’Brien joined “Mike’s On” and explained the possible risk of the second-year QB returning at all this season.

“There’s no precedent for someone coming back in the same year,” Dr. O’Brien said on WFAN. “They should not consider any contact for at least two months, and that’s in the ordinary case. Now, in a case of an NFL situation, you have a 290-pound guy with a plastic helmet coming at full speed at an unprotected guy. I’d love to be wrong here, but if something happened to him there would be no excuse. There’s no data to argue for him (coming back this year).”

Darnold was diagnosed on September 12, so as of Friday he has only missed eight days. Two months out would see the 22-year-old back sometime in the middle of November. But that two-month recommendation is supposed to be a minimum amount of resting time, so he could be out even longer depending on how his body recovers and on how his own doctors decide to treat this.

Dr. O’Brien pointed to the lack of data surrounding NFL players dealing with mono as another reason to be cautious about bringing Darnold back.

“There’s no data on this either way, and that’s the problem. What there is data on is what’s called auto-rupture. So not only can the spleen be big, but as we talked about, it can be vulnerable. And auto-rupture can be disastrous.”

Dr. O’Brien is worried about the threat to Darnold’s spleen if he were to come back soon. A ruptured spleen is a serious medical issue that can prove to be fatal in some cases.

In the meantime, the Jets will start Luke Falk at quarterback. New York’s offense struggled heavily against Cleveland without Darnold, and the opponents are only getting tougher. On Sunday, the Jets are in Foxborough to take on the Patriots.  

Francesa and O'Brien also discussed CJ Mosley, who also missed the Cleveland game and will likely be unavailable in Foxborough. 

Click on the audio player above to listen to Mike Francesa's full interview with Dr. Steve O'Brien.

The Age of “ Cool Hand” Luke Falk begins.....*

*if you try hard enough you can find a Dr. To say anything. That being said, anything under 6-8 weeks puts Sam at risk. 

I had mono once (it had nothing to do with kissing), and I had a special treatment which cured it. An old Yemenite man put pigeons on my spleen, one after another, and each one died. They suck up the poison out of you. It is a cure recommended by the Maimonides, the great doctor and Torah scholar. it works. i wonder if anybody in conventional medicine heard of this. If not, pass it on. I am being serious.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

I had mono once (it had nothing to do with kissing), and I had a special treatment which cured it. An old Yemenite man put pigeons on my spleen, one after another, and each one died. They suck up the poison out of you. It is a cure recommended by the Maimonides, the great doctor and Torah scholar. it works. i wonder if anybody in conventional medicine heard of this. If not, pass it on. I am being serious.

I think I saw them do that in The Beastmaster.

0GVAAuPkDKU_ce7np.png

I personally think he should be very careful. He will get more hits than most NFL QBs because of our dreadful OL. This is a completely lost season without seeing him develop but they need to be really careful with this. Unbelievable and unfortunate situation.

A 6-10 to 8-8 season would have been disappointing to the people here that were overestimating the talent on this team but it at least would have been great for watching Darnold progress and develop. Now, Sunday has become a literal joke where I just laugh at everything. I want him back as much as the next guy but he needs to be careful and listen to doctors. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

A player's health and life is more important than football. In a season where we had no chance with a 100% healthy roster, bringing back Darnold before he is completely healthy would be an awful decision. Even if we were competing, it would be an awful decision. 

The more time he's out the more time he's out with sluts to put his career in jeopardy.

4 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I personally think he should be very careful. He will get more hits than most NFL QBs because of our dreadful OL. This is a completely lost season without seeing him develop but they need to be really careful with this. Unbelievable and unfortunate situation.

A 6-10 to 8-8 season would have been disappointing to the people here that were overestimating the talent on this team but it at least would have been great for watching Darnold progress and develop. Now, Sunday has become a literal joke where I just laugh at everything. I want him back as much as the next guy but he needs to be careful and listen to doctors. 

You are still The Captain in my eyes.  

20190922_124519.thumb.jpg.148247d4faf4f9dd35ac8913cbc45f7a.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

A Dr who hasn't seen his blood work, who hasn't seen the scans of his spleen, who has no idea if or how much his spleen is enlarged makes a medical diagnosis on the air? 

What is he a hack or a chiropractor? 

It’s funny when doctors try to diagnose from afar with no information. 

• Upvote 1