Job Interview

Preston Howley III

Help me out. I have an interview with a Wall Street finance company on Monday, and needless to say, I'm a bit nervous.

I have an aversion to being interviewed in a professional environment the way normal people have an aversion to going to the dentist.

As you all can attest, I'm a candid person.

When he asks me, "why do you want to be a stockbroker", my honest answer would be

"Actually, I don't. This is a temporary thing, and I'm only doing this because It will look great on my resume, when I go to apply for the job(s) I really want".

But what should I say?

Feel free to give me other tips, too. Keep in mind, I have no Sales experience. Teach me how I can interpret that as a positive and not a negative.

Help me out. I have an interview with a Wall Street finance company on Monday, and needless to say, I'm a bit nervous.

I have an aversion to being interviewed in a professional environment the way normal people have an aversion to going to the dentist.

As you all can attest, I'm a candid person.

When he asks me, "why do you want to be a stockbroker", my honest answer would be

"Actually, I don't. This is a temporary thing, and I'm only doing this because It will look great on my resume, when I go to apply for the job(s) I really want".

But what should I say?

Feel free to give me other tips, too. Keep in mind, I have no Sales experience. Teach me how I can interpret that as a positive and not a negative.

Jetmo-If you are truly just "using" this job, the best thing to say is that would like to use thsi job as a "foundational experience to grow myself professionally and contribute positive things to a team"

Chances are, if this is a professional interviewer, your body language and demeanor are going to key him that you are not in for the long haul.

Maybe it will work out and he is just looking to fill a hole for a period of time, or he thinks he can work with you.

When I am filling a position, I usually don't give a crap about experience but am looking at enthusiasm, demeanor, earnestness, and willingness to make sacrifice.

You can usually tell in the first 5 minutes how it is going to go. Often, I can tell from a resume.

Good luck

Thanks for the feedback, Scott.

The truth of the matter is, i don't know if I'll like this job, and I don't know if I'll be good at this job. I have zero experience. I'm going in blind.

I have a hard time selling myself with BS, but I guess I don't have much of a choice. Sincerity and candor are not going to cut it, in this case.

Am I enthusiastic? Will I give 100%? Of course. But saying it, and being given an opportunity to demonstrate it, are two different things.

To score, you have to get to first base.

Sometimes the umpire calls a ball a strike, on full count.

In any event, I'm sure the attrition rate and turnover in this position is high. Wall street is dog eat dog, and it'll chew you up and spit you out in a hurry. But for all I know, I could take to it like a duck to a pond, and be their for 30 years.

"Why do you want to be a stockbroker?"

"I want to make some money, pay off my student loans, and then go buy a house in Virginia."

Next.:elmer:

Thanks for the feedback, Scott.

The truth of the matter is, i don't know if I'll like this job, and I don't know if I'll be good at this job. I have zero experience. I'm going in blind.

I have a hard time selling myself with BS, but I guess I don't have much of a choice. Sincerity and candor are not going to cut it, in this case.

Am I enthusiastic? Will I give 100%? Of course. But saying it, and being given an opportunity to demonstrate it, are two different things.

To score, you have to get to first base.

Sometimes the umpire calls a ball a strike, on full count.

In any event, I'm sure the attrition rate and turnover in this position is high. Wall street is dog eat dog, and it'll chew you up and spit you out in a hurry. But for all I know, I could take to it like a duck to a pond, and be their for 30 years.

"Why do you want to be a stockbroker?"

"I want to make some money, pay off my student loans, and then go buy a house in Virginia."

Next.:elmer:

Jetmo-The best policy is usually to try to be as up-front as you can be. If you display your typical enthusiasm that I witness, and are candid about you experience, but as well your want to succeed personally as well within a team, you have the majority of teh battle won.

I would rather train someone with little or no experience, but with ambition, than someone who is just looking to plug a hole.

Of course, it is all dependent on the interviewer and the company as well.

It is always best to go on any interview you can get, and you will get more comfortable with them, and yourself in them, and that will set you up properly when the good fit comes along.

You will be fine.

This is your jumping off point.

Stay positive and maintain good eye contact.

As a young guy, you want to show you are ambitious, aggressive, have good work habits, are responsible, willing to learn, are able to sell whatever the commodity is, and like interacting with people.

It's a sell job, you need a job to pay the bills- do you tell him you love posting on a football message board during work hours? Of course not!

Put your best foot forward and let the chips fall where they may.

This is your jumping off point.

Stay positive and maintain good eye contact.

As a young guy, you want to show you are ambitious, aggressive, have good work habits, are responsible, willing to learn, are able to sell whatever the commodity is, and like interacting with people.

It's a sell job, you need a job to pay the bills- do you tell him you love posting on a football message board during work hours? Of course not!

Put your best foot forward and let the chips fall where they may.

"As a young guy..."

I'm 40. I think that can be a negative, unfortunately.

All the rest is true, especially about interacting with people. What I want to stress to the VP (the Vice President of the company is interviewing me) is that I have a repertoire with the baby boomers- I identify with them; I listen to their music, I speak their language. I know their politics.

I can sell them stuff.

So maybe age won't be a negative, it can be a plus.

"As a young guy..."

I'm 40. I think that can be a negative, unfortunately.

All the rest is true, especially about interacting with people. What I want to stress to the VP (the Vice President of the company is interviewing me) is that I have a repertoire with the baby boomers- I identify with them; I listen to their music, I speak their language. I know their politics.

I can sell them stuff.

So maybe age won't be a negative, it can be a plus.

Jetmo-Have you researched the company, so that you can speak to it with at least a conversational tone?

Again, even if you don't truly want this to be your launching point in your career, it is still worth teh investment of your time to practice for what come down the line as your true interview want.

You gotta start somewhere. Ages should not be discriminatory here. I assume he was able to see your age on the resume, and he would not be calling you in unless he saw something that intrigues him.

This is a 2 way street.And teh more questions you ask, the more impressed they will be. That is your forte

Well, 40 is a good age- not too old, not too young.

It gets harder after 50, when companies think that they might have to pay someone a pension for not putting in a lot of years. You still have 20 years in the working world before retirement (on average), so I dont think your age will work against you.

Stay positive!

Jetmo-Have you researched the company, so that you can speak to it with at least a conversational tone?

Again, even if you don't truly want this to be your launching point in your career, it is still worth teh investment of your time to practice for what come down the line as your true interview want.

You gotta start somewhere. Ages should not be discriminatory here. I assume he was able to see your age on the resume, and he would not be calling you in unless he saw something that intrigues him.

This is a 2 way street.And teh more questions you ask, the more impressed they will be. That is your forte

I'll PM you the company website (please don't publicly disclose it). I have been reading it, and absorbing what I can.

I'm just gonna try and be loosey goosey, and treat this like a big adventure. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Well, 40 is a good age- not too old, not too young.

It gets harder after 50, when companies think that they might have to pay someone a pension for not putting in a lot of years. You still have 20 years in the working world before retirement (on average), so I dont think your age will work against you.

Stay positive!

Thanks.

I'm just gonna pretend I'm in a movie.

I'm Mickey Roarke in the Pope of Greenwich Village; I'm Christopher Walken in the Dogs of War.

Jetmo - keep an open attitiude about it. If you do that, everybody wins. You don't know for sure you won't like it and there are certainly plenty of folks who have accumulated a few piaster's in that profession. Then approach the interview with a combination of humilty up front, but in the background be running the they'd be crazy not to hire you tape. Good luck Dude!

Archived