Is it time to start talking 0-16?

STLuLu

On 9/22/2019 at 3:12 PM, STLuLu said:

If you're under the belief that the Jets will start winning when Darnard comes back, which team(s) on the schedule do you think the Jets have a real chance to beat? Or should I say which team(s) do you think won't show up to pay?

Image result for ny jets schedule 2019 printable

It's time to talk 0-16 for the Dolphins.  The Jets will probably win 6-7 games.

On 9/22/2019 at 3:17 PM, FidelioJet said:

I think the better questions is...let's say we do go 0-16 - or simply get the #1 pick.

What do we do with it knowing there are supposedly two generational type QB's available.

Trade down and take in a haul....

Trade Darnold and take one of the QB's...

It's sad but these are legitimate questions we have to ask.

no they aren't

On 9/27/2019 at 5:35 PM, peebag said:

What top talent?  Please be specific.

You love to downvote me... so you obviously disagree... I listed the players in the original post if you were paying attention but below I have clearly defined it in a more bullet point fashion.

Mosley is on of the best linebackers in the league.

Bell is one of the best RBs in the league.

Jamal Adams (beyond the hate here) is one of the best safeties in the league.

Marcus Maye is an above average FS that needs to stay healthy.

Crowder is an above average slot WR.

RA is a WR that can take the top off the defense

Herndon was a top 10 TE in his rookie year.

Hewitt, Copeland, Jenkins and Cashman have shown that they are very good at their respective postions.

Poole is one of the best nickel CBs in the league.

Hairston showed against NE that he is at the very least a #2 CB, Roberts although gets beat has his moments.

The Defense is not the issue here and the Offense can't run without their first string QB... part of that is coaching and part of that is the players around Darnold. Darnold lifts the play of the team around him. I think that has been evident. He has hidden the huge problems around him. Whether that continues into this year, we have yet to see. but last year with that trash they had on the field Darnold looked good. The skill positions of the Jets have improved with the addition of Bell and Crowder and have some returning pieces that were good last year in Herndon and RA. I am curious to see how good the Jets play with a full team, which they have not done yet this year.

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

You love to downvote me... so you obviously disagree... I listed the players in the original post if you were paying attention but below I have clearly defined it in a more bullet point fashion.

Mosley is on of the best linebackers in the league.

Bell is one of the best RBs in the league.

Jamal Adams (beyond the hate here) is one of the best safeties in the league.

Marcus Maye is an above average FS that needs to stay healthy.

Crowder is an above average slot WR.

RA is a WR that can take the top off the defense

Herndon was a top 10 TE in his rookie year.

Hewitt, Copeland, Jenkins and Cashman have shown that they are very good at their respective postions.

Poole is one of the best nickel CBs in the league.

Hairston showed against NE that he is at the very least a #2 CB, Roberts although gets beat has his moments.

The Defense is not the issue here and the Offense can't run without their first string QB... part of that is coaching and part of that is the players around Darnold. Darnold lifts the play of the team around him. I think that has been evident. He has hidden the huge problems around him. Whether that continues into this year, we have yet to see. but last year with that trash they had on the field Darnold looked good. The skill positions of the Jets have improved with the addition of Bell and Crowder and have some returning pieces that were good last year in Herndon and RA. I am curious to see how good the Jets play with a full team, which they have not done yet this year.

Outside of the top 3 you listed, the rest of those players are just marginally average at best.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, FTL Jet Fan said:

Why? Miami will have the first two picks, their own and the Steelers we will win just enough to knock us down a few slots. Have  you not seen the pattern over the years? With Brady leaving the division whenever he decides to retire it will be a battle of the young QB's in the AFCE just what the NFL wants after Brady is gone. Miami will draft a QB, Darnold , Allen, and whatever the Pats do. 

Wow. We look to be way behind everyone else in the AFC East going forward next year.

I forgot Miami has Pittsburgh's 1st round pick. If their GM knows what he's doing they are going to have an incredible offseason. Looking at the Bills defense and organization, they look to be a team going in the right direction also. The Patriots will be good as long as Belichek wants to stay on as HC.

Meanwhile we are mired in no mans land, our best hope being that our former GM, who we all agree was terrible at player evaluation in the draft, miraculously picked a FQB when he couldn't pick anything else correctly.

Add in the fact that John Dorsey and Dave Gettleman who are both way better GMs then Macc passed on any of the QBs in '18 other then Mayfield, yet both seem to have picked guys who have upgraded the team around them. Lets just say things aren't looking rosy around here.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow. We look to be way behind everyone else in the AFC East going forward next year.

I forgot Miami has Pittsburgh's 1st round pick. If their GM knows what he's doing they are going to have an incredible offseason. Looking at the Bills defense and organization, they look to be a team going in the right direction also. The Patriots will be good as long as Belichek wants to stay on as HC.

Meanwhile we are mired in no mans land, our best hope being that our former GM, who we all agree was terrible at player evaluation in the draft, miraculously picked a FQB when he couldn't pick anything else correctly.

Add in the fact that John Dorsey and Dave Gettleman who are both way better GMs then Macc passed on any of the QBs in '18 other then Mayfield, yet both seem to have picked guys who have upgraded the team around them. Lets just say things aren't looking rosy around here.

It's almost like stockpiling picks is a smart strategy for a non-contending team or something, as opposed to spending big on free agency and directly costing yourself picks (compensatory).  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's almost like stockpiling picks is a smart strategy for a non-contending team or something, as opposed to spending big on free agency and directly costing yourself picks (compensatory).  

Yeah, while we have half our fan base (and a previous FO) who believe winning a 3rd or 4th game at the end of a season will help "change the culture".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/22/2019 at 3:24 PM, GreenFish said:

We'll get more clarity as the season progresses. Darnold has only played one game this year and may not have been at full strength. He's 21. We really don't know what we have in him. 

At the moment, I'm thinking trade back and get a haul. We need to flood this team with talent and key positions (CB, Edge, WR, OL). Enough with investing in LB, and DT

Both good points. Plus, they're probably better building off building up the rest team so that if they do bring in another QB he'll have a team around him to help him out.

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Honestly 2-14, 3-13 is pretty realistic. 

If that’s the case, I gotta wonder if Douglas looks at QBs with a top 5 pick. 

If Trevor comes out and we get the 2 pick get the best package possible in a trade down 

Maybe we can get Bradley Chubb plus the Broncos first round pick which will be top 5 

• WTF? 1

On 9/29/2019 at 10:09 AM, STLuLu said:

No, but if Gase would've done a decent job at play calling Siemian wouldn't have got smeared by Garrett. 

Huh?

Garrett got flagged for a late hit on that play.  How is the coach supposed to call a play that prevents an opponent from hitting his QB illegally?

20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas already has shown he knows what he’s doing. He knew this was a dog sh*t roster, far from contention.

Which is why he didn’t satisfy the “TRADE FOR A CORNER AND WE’RE CHALLENGING NE FOR THE DIVISION!” Or the “TRADE FOR CLOWNEY AND THE LOMBARDI IS OURS!” Crowd.

He knows there’s no quick fixed or one move to finish off this roster.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Joe Douglas already has shown he knows what he’s doing. He knew this was a dog sh*t roster, far from contention.

Which is why he didn’t satisfy the “TRADE FOR A CORNER AND WE’RE CHALLENGING NE FOR THE DIVISION!” Or the “TRADE FOR CLOWNEY AND THE LOMBARDI IS OURS!” Crowd.

Yep.  The only moves of significance he made were to try to help Darnold (Kalil, Thomas acquisitions).  

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  The only moves of significance he made were to try to help Darnold (Kalil, Thomas acquisitions).  

Ummmm, the only thing Joe has done is trade picks for sh*tty players. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Alex Lewis was a compensatory 7th and Thomas was a 2021 6th rounder.  I'm not weeping for our future over those moves to address positions that can help Darnold.  

Oh my bad, I thought stockpiling picks was a smart strategy for a non-contending team or something.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Oh my bad, I thought stockpiling picks was a smart strategy for a non-contending team or something.

It is EXCEPT when its an effort to help Darnold, which is literally the only thing that matters for this franchise right now.  Hence why I'm hesitant to trade any offensive players at the moment unless their contracts are expiring (like Robby Anderson). 

Some people are advocating moving Le'Veon but I wouldn't do that, especially since the best we could get is probably a 3rd rounder.  

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Huh?

Garrett got flagged for a late hit on that play.  How is the coach supposed to call a play that prevents an opponent from hitting his QB illegally?

Garrett didn’t have anyone lined up on him on one of the sacks on Simian

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hated the D Thomas trade. Joe Douglas didn’t get a full offseason but hasn’t shown sh*t yet as far as I’m concerned. I’m more than willing to give him a chance but he has not wowed me at all. I like the Hairston pickup a lot but it’s overshadowed by the kicker situation, Kalil and trading a 6th to the Pats for a horrible/useless WR. It’s not f*cking hard to figure this sh*t out so he better not be another dud. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is EXCEPT when its an effort to help Darnold, which is literally the only thing that matters for this franchise right now.  Hence why I'm hesitant to trade any offensive players at the moment unless their contracts are expiring (like Robby Anderson). 

Some people are advocating moving Le'Veon but I wouldn't do that, especially since the best we could get is probably a 3rd rounder.  

I'm not sure that I agree that wasting picks in a futile effort to "help" Darnold is a good thing but whatevs.  This team is so ****ed it really doesnt matter in the long or the short.  They're years away from being competitive.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, JiF said:

I'm not sure that I agree that wasting picks in a futile effort to "help" Darnold is a good thing but whatevs.  This team is so ****ed it really doesnt matter in the long or the short.  They're years away from being competitive.  

Basically my point was we need to try to chase picks of significance now that we know the season is lost.  Jamal Adams should net us some nice draft capital.  Leo won't but it makes no sense not to try.  

8 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I hated the D Thomas trade. Joe Douglas didn’t get a full offseason but hasn’t shown sh*t yet as far as I’m concerned. I’m more than willing to give him a chance but he has not wowed me at all. I like the Hairston pickup a lot but it’s overshadowed by the kicker situation, Kalil and trading a 6th to the Pats for a horrible/useless WR. It’s not f*cking hard to figure this sh*t out so he better not be another dud. 

Everything he's done outside of Hairston has been a disaster but who cares?   There was nothing Joe Douglas could do to save this season from disaster. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Basically my point was we need to try to chase picks of significance now that we know the season is lost.  Jamal Adams should net us some nice draft capital.  Leo won't but it makes no sense not to try.  

Sure, it makes total sense but that's not really how the NFL has worked, traditionally.  And I think Gase and Douglas are as traditional as it gets.  The team isnt trading Jamal Adams or Leo or anyone for that matter, that takes effort and nobody in this organization gives a **** enough about winning to actually try and improve this team.