The narrative that Gase can be excused due to back up QBs has been crushed this week..

Beerfish

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’ve been saying this all summer: the only way this team was going to be respectable is if Darnold came out putting up Pat Mahomes numbers and Darnold hasn’t been healthy for one second of the 2019 regular season. The idea that Gase can make Luke Falk—who started getting non-scout-team practice reps literally five days ago—put up numbers against the Browns and Pats is absurd. 

We punted on 4th and 2, down 16, with three minutes left. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This is the problem, every year with Jets fans - the two variables change, but it’s always staged as a binary argument.

It’s not binary. 

Our roster sucks, because Rex/Idzik/Mac for 10 years..

Gase was an absurdly bad hire and sucks, also.

Yeah I agree. I'm not defending Gase per se. I just think our offense would suck regardless of the coach, when you look at the talent level as a whole.

3 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Yeah I agree. I'm not defending Gase per se. I just think our offense would suck regardless of the coach, when you look at the talent level as a whole.

Yup, fair.

but to be at week 3 and incapable of regularly converting first downs in this league, pssssh... that’s as much on Gase as it is the players

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I see what you’re saying and, yes, it sucks and, yes, you’d like to see more YOLO stuff from Gase, but I don’t think he’s wired to pretend they were competitive today, at any point. 

So we traded up to get our franchise QB and then hired a more expensive Brian Flores?

I think Gase was gutless today. I also think Gase wasn’t gonna try to do something that would cause more injuries. I don’t think Gase trusts his OL and I think the rest of the team feels the same way. Robby called out the OL today and I don’t think anyone is safe to start in 2 weeks. It’s still Gases’s responsibility to fix it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Gardner Minshaw - 204 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Jacoby Brissett - 310 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Kyle Allen - 261 yards, 4 tds - WIN

Mason Rudolph - 174 yards, 2tds - almost win but not quite

Daniel Jones - 336 yards, 2tds and 2 tds rushing, WIN

Teddy Bridgewater - 177 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

How many of those teams have lost their first 2 QBS, 2 starting WRs, starting TE, and their O-line is completely mismanaged while playing a total of 3 games together?

On the defensive side how many are down their best player, 1st round draft pick, 3 starting LB's, and have a CB who pulled an Albert Haynesworth?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Pac said:

How many of those teams have lost 2 of their starting WRs, their starting TE, and their O-line has played a total of 3 games together?

On the defensive side how many are down their best player, 1st round draft pick, 2 starting LB's, and have a CB who pulled an Albert Haynesworth?

Only played 3 games together? You guys all realize how players are able to sign one day, and play the next, right? Most schemes are eerily similar to other teams'. 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

So we traded up to get our franchise QB and then hired a more expensive Brian Flores?

We don’t know that Gase is more expensive than anyone and his principle occupation is getting that expensive young QB to look like a legitimate NFL starter. Until that happens, the team is doomed unless Joe Douglas is a draft savant who can put together a contender in two years or less

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

Only played 3 games together? You guys all realize how players are able to sign one day, and play the next, right? Most schemes are eerily similar to other teams'. 

What is the name of the scheme that lets players run free unaccounted for at the QB?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Gardner Minshaw - 204 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Jacoby Brissett - 310 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Kyle Allen - 261 yards, 4 tds - WIN

Mason Rudolph - 174 yards, 2tds - almost win but not quite

Daniel Jones - 336 yards, 2tds and 2 tds rushing, WIN

Teddy Bridgewater - 177 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

Gardner Minshew - 6th round pick (178th overall), 2019 draft

Jacoby Brissett - 3rd round pick (91st overall), 2016 draft

Kyle Allen - UDFA, 2018

Mason Rudolph - 3rd round pick (76th overall), 2018 draft

Daniel Jones - 1st round pick (6th overall), 2019 draft

Teddy Bridgewater - 1st round pick (32nd overall), 2014 draft

Jones started the season as Eli's backup and the plan was for him to sit behind Eli for most of the season. He's started sooner than the Giants possibly would have liked, but I don't think it's quite right to have called him a backup. But certainly, the other QBs listed would not be starting if the preferred QBs were all healthy (or, in the case of Brissett, hadn't abruptly retired days before the season began).

I watched Minshew play and he threw some absolute rainbows but he also missed some fairly easy passes.

Interestingly, Minshew, Rudolph and Allen play under defensive-minded head coaches (Marrone and Rivera respectively). Bridgewater and Jones play under offensive-minded head coaches.