The narrative that Gase can be excused due to back up QBs has been crushed this week..

Beerfish

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like that would be germane to the conversation, yes

Yet i can’t say with confidence that if the jets played a bad defense, that the offense would look any more competent, even with darnold.  Yeah, they mailed it in today.  But what’s going to happen when they actually try after the bye and still lose to Phily, Dallas and NE?  Then most of the offense will be mailing it in.  

The headline to this tragedy is that there are no quick fixes, the jet offensive roster is bottom 5 and the only starters who look to be locks for next season are darnold, bell, crowder and herndon.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gardner Minshaw - 204 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Jacoby Brissett - 310 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Kyle Allen - 261 yards, 4 tds - WIN

Mason Rudolph - 174 yards, 2tds - almost win but not quite

Daniel Jones - 336 yards, 2tds and 2 tds rushing, WIN

Teddy Bridgewater - 177 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

The Rams just scored 3 points, with a missed FG if you must add that in, in the first half against the same defense the Jets played last week. 

And the Rams are healthy...

A little patience... let's see what they have the last 10 games.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well, Gase allegedly wanted Daniel Fells and one of the big free agent centers and didn’t get those, and given that he refused to appear on camera during the draft, it’s a fair bet that he didn’t like any of those picks. Likewise, he didn’t want to pay Le’Veon Bell. Put all of this together and it seems like Gase knew coming in that the roster was awful and needed a major overhaul, but didn’t want to burn Major resources on short-term, band aid players (like expensive RBs).

Did Gase want to burn the third overall on a DT or was that a Maccagnan decision meant to save his own ass? Did Gase—who has a history of hating high-maintenance players—want Jachai Polite? Chuma Edoga? Did Gase, the offensive coordinator, really want the one skill guy they drafted to be a blocking TE? Probably not. When he finally pushed Maccagnan out, the die was already cast and everything sucked. And that was before mono and sprained knees and pulled groins took away what little real talent was available to him. You want your coach to compete every week, but, practically speaking, Gase is ****ed until next spring and he knows it. 

Lit major my ass. I've seen better narratives on cereal boxes.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What about Todd Monken?

I mean, that would have been fine? You’ll recall that Gase wasn’t even a consideration until he found out he wasn’t getting the Browns job and he had Peyton shmooze Chris Johnson. I don’t think Gase was anyone’s first choice, nor do I think Gase particularly wanted to be here, but here we are. I just object to this idea that there are alternatives to Gase who could have faced down the disadvantages he’s faced since day one and performed any better. If Gase never wins a game here, he still deserves credit for ousting Maccagnan and getting Joe Douglas in here, and paid like a big-boy GM. Do you think that a Maccagnan-Monken administration would have made it three years?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean, that would have been fine? You’ll recall that Gase wasn’t even a consideration until he found out he wasn’t getting the Browns job and he had Peyton shmooze Chris Johnson. I don’t think Gase was anyone’s first choice, nor do I think Gase particularly wanted to be here, but here we are. I just object to this idea that there are alternatives to Gase who could have faced down the disadvantages he’s faced since day one and performed any better. If Gase never wins a game here, he still deserves credit for ousting Maccagnan and getting Joe Douglas in here, and paid like a big-boy GM. Do you think that a Maccagnan-Monken administration would have made it three years?

Of course not. Maccagnan was a world-historical disaster, and whatever else Gase does or doesn’t accomplish here, he’ll always have a small piece of my heart for shanking him. But I think you’re retconning that plus his general redass coachiness into a sense of competence, and there just isn’t any actual evidence to support that. If he’s a good coach, why doesn’t he coach good? To put it another way, would this team have looked in any way different the last three weeks if it had been coached by Todd Bowles?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

We’re down two QBs. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gardner Minshaw - 204 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Jacoby Brissett - 310 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Kyle Allen - 261 yards, 4 tds - WIN

Mason Rudolph - 174 yards, 2tds - almost win but not quite

Daniel Jones - 336 yards, 2tds and 2 tds rushing, WIN

Teddy Bridgewater - 177 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I would imagine the next guy up for ANY of those teams would be functional.

And against 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

1. This is a miserable, undesirable, trash, career-killing job. We were always going to be sorting through c-list candidates regardless, so it didn’t bother me that we ended up with Gase, who’s as accomplished a c-lister as we could have gotten. And when you consider that the A-List was Arians and Flores, I mean, the pool is fairly shallow regardless. 

2 I like Gase for the same reasons I liked Mangini—they seem to have little patience for Jets f*ckery and take pride in exiling it as they see fit. Obviously, it takes more to be a franchise builder than simply burning down the building, but at least Gase has had the wherewithal to get right to it. 

3. I’d be apoplectic if Bowles and Macc we’re still here and the team looked like this on the field. They’re the ones who made this bed. Gase, however, just waked in on it, knows it sucks, and clearly wants to purge most of what he sees. I say we have to give him a chance to do that. If it works, awesome! If it doesn’t? Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Totally agree with this. Gase might not be the answer but he is trying things differently. People are being called out. Expectations are higher. The results aren't there yet and hopefully that changes soon.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. This is a miserable, undesirable, trash, career-killing job. We were always going to be sorting through c-list candidates regardless, so it didn’t bother me that we ended up with Gase, who’s as accomplished a c-lister as we could have gotten. And when you consider that the A-List was Arians and Flores, I mean, the pool is fairly shallow regardless. 

2 I like Gase for the same reasons I liked Mangini—they seem to have little patience for Jets f*ckery and take pride in exiling it as they see fit. Obviously, it takes more to be a franchise builder than simply burning down the building, but at least Gase has had the wherewithal to get right to it. 

3. I’d be apoplectic if Bowles and Macc we’re still here and the team looked like this on the field. They’re the ones who made this bed. Gase, however, just waked in on it, knows it sucks, and clearly wants to purge most of what he sees. I say we have to give him a chance to do that. If it works, awesome! If it doesn’t? Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Fair enough. 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My man. I'm in. The Shanemeister @TomShane  nailed it.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What if Gase wants to keep Jamal?

What do kids say?

Oh, SNAP!

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you accept that the talent level is putrid and you’re looking for signs of decent coaching, it’s worth noting that the Jets offense isn’t turning it over and they’re not racking up penalties. Poorly coached teams do both. What you’re seeing is overmatched QBs trying to throw to receivers who are trying to do things they can’t do behind a patchwork OL populated by four guys who probably won’t be starters in the NFL one year from now and the fifth is Brian Winters. 

The best thing I could think of that could happen to the Jet OL right now is if Winters goes off deer hunting during the bye week (he says he can’t wait to teach his new born baby how to off deer) and he gets fcu*in trampled.

To me Winters is the microcosm of ALL that is wrong with the Jets.  A scrub who could never start on ANY NFL team other than the Jets but was able to parlay being drafted by them into totally undeserved riches.  Somehow lasting with the Jets FOR YEARS.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The problem with gase is #1 it is not the coaches job to tear anything down.  Coach the damn team.

#2 He tore down in Miami and showed zero ability to build up.

He is supposed to be an excellent innovative quality offensive coach and the jets look like the worst offense we have had in years.

Frick, guys like Morton and Bates and Gailey had as little talent as we have now and had some respectable showings.

He's the coach, not the GM. coach.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

And against 3 of the top 5 defenses in the league

Gee you think the fact that they easily bslap the jets has anything to do with that? 

The Jets are 0-3 and have the worst looking offense we have had in years and the excuse mongers are out.

Reminds me of the same things people defended bowles about.

3 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The best thing I could think of that could happen to the Jet OL right now is if Winters goes off deer hunting during the bye week (he says he can’t wait to teach his new born baby how to off deer) and he gets fcu*in trampled.

To me Winters is the microcosm of ALL that is wrong with the Jets.  A scrub who could never start on ANY NFL team other than the Jets but was able to parlay being drafted by them into totally undeserved riches.  Somehow lasting with the Jets FOR YEARS.

We can argue all day about the DL and DBs getting all the resources, how this guy is a player and this guy sucks. What is not arguable is under Idizik and then Coffee Boy, those resources were so allocated, and ALWAYS at the expense of the OL. There was always some nonsense excuse, most talented player, steal of the draft, all that nonsense. How many times did they say that, year after year. And so you're in the market for the Osmele and Kalil types; old, at the end,  looking for that final payday. Now when the OL was good, no sin picking up a Pete Kendall or ALan Faneca to fill it out. But it should be complementary, not your go to way to build your OL. The last 2 1st round OL guys this franchise took were drafted by Mangini/Tannebaum, and neither Mangold nor Brick has played a meaningful down in the last 3 seasons. 

• Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The problem with gase is #1 it is not the coaches job to tear anything down.  Coach the damn team.

#2 He tore down in Miami and showed zero ability to build up.

He is supposed to be an excellent innovative quality offensive coach and the jets look like the worst offense we have had in years.

Frick, guys like Morton and Bates and Gailey had as little talent as we have now and had some respectable showings.

He's the coach, not the GM. coach.

Correct.  He hired a puppet gm so he can do this all himself.

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Gee you think the fact that they easily bslap the jets has anything to do with that? 

The Jets are 0-3 and have the worst looking offense we have had in years and the excuse mongers are out.

Let’s be fair.   A game with mono struck Sam Darnold and a bunch of crap. I am worried about Gases tendencies to pass well short of the 1st down market (also his specialty in Miami) but let’s gets this team together and healthy first 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Not an excuse... They look like sh*t...

But like some posters here are saying... How about we see this team with Sam throwing before we deem this as inept as you think it is...

He could be terrible... but how can you really judge 3 games into a season with a new starting QB each week. A coach can't even make adjustments because he is preparing a new QB every week... 

Again, not an excuse... just an incomplete until further notice...

16 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Not an excuse... They look like sh*t...

But like some posters here are saying... How about we see this team with Sam throwing before we deem this as inept as you think it is...

He could be terrible... but how can you really judge 3 games into a season with a new starting QB each week. A coach can't even make adjustments because he is preparing a new QB every week... 

Again, not an excuse... just an incomplete until further notice...

Week one didn’t count?

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

We can argue all day about the DL and DBs getting all the resources, how this guy is a player and this guy sucks. What is not arguable is under Idizik and then Coffee Boy, those resources were so allocated, and ALWAYS at the expense of the OL. There was always some nonsense excuse, most talented player, steal of the draft, all that nonsense. How many times did they say that, year after year. And so you're in the market for the Osmele and Kalil types; old, at the end,  looking for that final payday. Now when the OL was good, no sin picking up a Pete Kendall or ALan Faneca to fill it out. But it should be complementary, not your go to way to build your OL. The last 2 1st round OL guys this franchise took were drafted by Mangini/Tannebaum, and neither Mangold nor Brick has played a meaningful down in the last 3 seasons. 

You’re right ALWAYS a stupid excuse.  And when real talent is staring a Maccagnan right through his coke bottle glasses he looks elsewhere.  Dalvin Cook, NFL rushing leader wrecked Oakland today.  You draft him in the 2nd instead of a second consecutive Safety then you don’t have to pay Bell a big contract, hence more resources to build an OL.

But the negligence regarding the OL is just criminal when any idiot knows that’s where you start to build a team.  The FACT that one of Darnold’s key attributes is escapability and pocket presence is a key factor in him personally masking what is now clearly the WORST OL in the NFL.  

Most QBs would/will be buried playing behind it.

They should cut them ALL this week, or just move this team to Canada or Alaska...getting tired of it.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Well, Gase allegedly wanted Daniel Fells and one of the big free agent centers and didn’t get those, and given that he refused to appear on camera during the draft, it’s a fair bet that he didn’t like any of those picks. Likewise, he didn’t want to pay Le’Veon Bell. Put all of this together and it seems like Gase knew coming in that the roster was awful and needed a major overhaul, but didn’t want to burn Major resources on short-term, band aid players (like expensive RBs).

Did Gase want to burn the third overall on a DT or was that a Maccagnan decision meant to save his own ass? Did Gase—who has a history of hating high-maintenance players—want Jachai Polite? Chuma Edoga? Did Gase, the offensive coordinator, really want the one skill guy they drafted to be a blocking TE? Probably not. When he finally pushed Maccagnan out, the die was already cast and everything sucked. And that was before mono and sprained knees and pulled groins took away what little real talent was available to him. You want your coach to compete every week, but, practically speaking, Gase is ****ed until next spring and he knows it. 

good idea yes GIF by Robert E Blackmon

5 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Let's be real.  Todd Bowles's offense looked better last year without Le'Veon Bell and the same or worse OL and without Crowder.  

Because Darnold was able to do a lot in masking what is the worst OL bar none in the NFL, by using his great pocket presence.  That’s one of the main reasons I have been so high on Darnold becoming a superstar.  I watched him make numerous plays last year basically all by himself, running for his life almost every play (because this is the worst OL in football) and then hitting a receiver in the tightest of windows because there is no separation.

Now you take most QBs in the NFL not named Darnold they are going to be roadkill playing behind this OL.

Much of the same would be occurring with Bowles as coach right now.  Outside of the 100Mill just spent on those FAs, the rest of the Jet Roster is the worst in the NFL.

Thank you Mike Maccagnan.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

More importantly we are ****ed till next spring. We are trapped in an endless cycle of bad Coaches, GM’s and owners.

At this point after years of ever worse play, I think I’d be happy just to see the Jets play to average NFL level play.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet i can’t say with confidence that if the jets played a bad defense, that the offense would look any more competent, even with darnold.  Yeah, they mailed it in today.  But what’s going to happen when they actually try after the bye and still lose to Phily, Dallas and NE?  Then most of the offense will be mailing it in.  

The headline to this tragedy is that there are no quick fixes, the jet offensive roster is bottom 5 and the only starters who look to be locks for next season are darnold, bell, crowder and herndon.

Quick fix 1 call plays deeper than line of scrimmage.

The play calling was terrible. Gase should be fired