The narrative that Gase can be excused due to back up QBs has been crushed this week..

Beerfish

You add competent QB play to this team and suddenly it doesn't look so talent-poor. Look no further than our roommates to see how a good QB literally changes everything in the NFL.

Great QBs elevate the talent around them. Garbage ones are dragged along (or down) by the talent around them.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

You add competent QB play to this team and suddenly it doesn't look so talent-poor. Look no further than our roommates to see how a good QB literally changes everything in the NFL.

Great QBs elevate the talent around them. Garbage ones are dragged along (or down) by the talent around them.

So true, but can even a good QB be dragged down by a bad Head Coach?

• Upvote 2

I can understand not blaming Gase for these first 3 games when our QB is out but what I don’t understand is how Gase has “staunch defenders” right now when he’s done nothing to deserve it.  To me, the jury is still out.  On the positive side, he has shown little patience with some Macc guys but who exactly has he made better?

It almost feels like there’s a new phenomenon developing amongst Jet fans where we’re being optimistic for no reason. It’s like “bizarro SOJ”.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can understand not blaming Gase for these first 3 games when our QB is out but what I don’t understand is how Gase has “staunch defenders” right now when he’s done nothing to deserve it.  To me, the jury is still out.  On the positive side, he has shown little patience with some Macc guys but who exactly has he made better?

It almost feels like there’s a new phenomenon developing amongst Jet fans where we’re being optimistic for no reason. It’s like “bizarro SOJ”.  

Agreed, it’s just burying your head in the sand and pretending all is OK.

I figure it’s their way of dealing with we are the worst team in football. Some may counter with the Dolphins, but they are actually trying to lose.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gardner Minshaw - 204 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Jacoby Brissett - 310 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Kyle Allen - 261 yards, 4 tds - WIN

Mason Rudolph - 174 yards, 2tds - almost win but not quite

Daniel Jones - 336 yards, 2tds and 2 tds rushing, WIN

Teddy Bridgewater - 177 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

How many are #3 QBs off practice squad... Your post doesn't work

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

There is.  Its called the Delusional Homer Club.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It should be noted that no one has ever seen the terms of Gase’s contract. It’s not impossible it’s a 3 year deal with copious amounts of room for him to bail if a job comes open that he actually wants 

Haha .. in what world is Adam Gase today a top candidate for any HC job 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

100%. QB more important than coach 

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

Most of those players were around those teams for a while, had experience or were high picks.  None of those teams played at NE and none of those QBs were on the practice squad a little over a week ago and none were 3rd QBs.  Now imagine those teams having to use a third QB

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, SAR I said:

Shh.  Don't tell them the truth.  Ruins the Whoa Is Me Same Ol' Jets Fan narrative they've worked so hard to craft.

SAR I

the narrative was not built by fans but by the franchise that has worked hard for decades to be so terrible

3 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the narrative was not built by fans but by the franchise that has worked hard for decades to be so terrible

Nah, the Jets' record is 100% because of their crappy fans.  Just like the Patriots' fans turned around their franchise into 6 time Superbowl winners by "thinking positively" or some other BS.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He wasn’t even a top candidate this past offseason. But he asked Manning to get him a job. And here we are. 

Look, this job has the reputation of being a dumpster fire crossed with a nuclear accident, and our owners are braindead imbeciles who get erect at the mention of "toughness" in interviews. For f___'s sake, they took Bowles on the word of Charlie Caserly, who cannot be trusted with sharpened cutlery. Literally Bellichick laughs at Caserly. They weren't going to scour the college ranks for a real innovative guy like Kingsbury; that's not their CV. So really Gase is about the best you could hope for. Have to get past the nonsense and start dealing with this reality. And that is the OL has been neglected for so long this is going to be very difficult. Not impossible, difficult. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If you wanted to give Gase literally any of those QBs to start today, I’m sure Adam Gase would have taken them.

then isn't his fault for not finding that guy along with the gm? Look the GM is in a hard spot since the transition happened at a crappy time.. But Gase needs to game plan for the qb in the game like these other coaches did.

The Oline has no injuries and is still missing assignments that is scheme and coaching, they are not putting players into position to succeed and then calling them out for missed assignments is not acceptable. I am not for coddling players but the coach needs to accept his part of the blame and fix the issue. After 3 weeks nothing looks like it has been adapted or changed for the players he has.

Simply put when the defense has outscored your offense and you have an offense guru that is supposed to be able to work with qbs you should expect more from him. Injuries are not an excuse for not being able to execute plays.

59 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Forget the narrative.  Today is September 23 and on September 23 no one should be calling for the head of a head coach who hasn't had his franchise quarterback all year and had his backup for all of 1 quarter before going to the 3rd string scrub from the practice squad.

"This offense is boring! Not creative!"  Really?  With the immortal Luke Falk under center for 7 of the 12 quarters we've played this season you expected something more?

SAR I

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nah, the Jets' record is 100% because of their crappy fans.  Just like the Patriots' fans turned around their franchise into 6 time Superbowl winners by "thinking positively" or some other BS.

The Jets record is 0-3 because of injuries to our two best offensive and defensive players.

The reaction of Jets fans is 100% because of a faction of whiners who are in their glory as Joe Beningo wannabe's seeking attention in a perverted contest to see which one of them is more miserable than the other.  "I'm a bigger victim than you because I've been a fan since 1985!" 

The Jets record is unfortunate; the Jets fan's reaction is pathetic. 

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Forget the narrative.  Today is September 23 and on September 23 no one should be calling for the head of a head coach who hasn't had his franchise quarterback all year and had his backup for all of 1 quarter before going to the 3rd string scrub from the practice squad.

"This offense is boring! Not creative!"  Really?  With the immortal Luke Falk under center for 7 of the 12 quarters we've played this season you expected something more?

SAR I

And when Sam comes back and the team continues to be bad and ends up 0-6 to start the season, what will you blame it on? Try to move the goalposts now please. 

18 minutes ago, rammagen said:

then isn't his fault for not finding that guy along with the gm? Look the GM is in a hard spot since the transition happened at a crappy time.. But Gase needs to game plan for the qb in the game like these other coaches did.

The Oline has no injuries and is still missing assignments that is scheme and coaching, they are not putting players into position to succeed and then calling them out for missed assignments is not acceptable. I am not for coddling players but the coach needs to accept his part of the blame and fix the issue. After 3 weeks nothing looks like it has been adapted or changed for the players he has.

Simply put when the defense has outscored your offense and you have an offense guru that is supposed to be able to work with qbs you should expect more from him. Injuries are not an excuse for not being able to execute plays.

We have seen very good offensive lines look like ass when our quarterback went down.

1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007 were all years where Testaverde or Pennington went down for the season and despite having the likes of Kevin Mawae, Jumbo Elliot, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson up front and the likes of Curtis Martin out back you'd have thought we had the worst OL and RB situation in the NFL.  Couldn't pass protect, couldn't run block, looked completely dysfunctional.  2002 being the perfect example, you could flip a switch on the change from Testaverde to Pennington, the exact same offense that looked so pathetic went on to win the division and annihilate the Colts in the playoffs.

QB goes down, D doesn't respect the backup, they stack 11 in the box, take away the RB, dare the QB to beat them, and he can't.  It's the oldest script in the book.  When Darnold returns the OL will improve and the RB will look dominant again.  If you don't have a legitimate NFL QB the D decimates your OL.  It's how it goes.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Minshaw looked good but lets see when he plays a real defense.

Brissett has been sitting in the background for years. 

Allen... let him play a real defense and we can see. ARZ has the worst D in the league

Rudolph looked like sh*t the whole game... Half of his yards came on 1 play that Juju made with his legs... I don't have the stat in front of me but I bet there was only 50-75 air yards out of those 174 ... ridiculous... he looked bad

Danny Dimes looks like the real deal and is the Giants version of Darnold so comparing him to Falk is just dumb

Bridgewater was a starter in the NFL until a horrific leg injury... Of course this veteran looked better then Falk

None of these QBs listed show the decimation the Jets have had with injuries... Not one of these teams is on their 3rd QB... and many of these examples are veterans. Nothing here even remotely proves your point.

54 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

And when Sam comes back and the team continues to be bad and ends up 0-6 to start the season, what will you blame it on? Try to move the goalposts now please. 

If that happens then you know the trouble runs deeper.... People are judging too soon.

SAR I's point is how can you even evaluate a team with Darnold out, Many teams have gone from great to putrid with the loss of their starter... And this is just the starter, its the starter, his back-up and the starting TE. Come on... 

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

A0D17276-0A39-466A-905D-2E2E418B70FC.jpeg.ca9bafd86fc49f40146a07c3b8aa4015.jpeg

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think anybody here is truly defending Gase.  All the 'positive' posters are trying to say is that there is no way to evaluate good or bad this offense is without their true starting QB. The Anti Gase crowd only perceives that to be pro-Gase... which is not true. I am trying to be reasonable and not say he needs to be fired 3 games into a terrible season with a rash of injuries.

Let's not fire the coach before they at least see what he can do.

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

As you have read there were differing opinions when it came to FA and Draft from Mac to Gase. How do you know Gase wanted these players? Including Siemian... But even so... maybe if we had an OL that Siemian might actually have looked better then he did... Or Falk...