The narrative that Gase can be excused due to back up QBs has been crushed this week..

Beerfish

2 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Yes very possible. Yet, coaching showed no answers, no schemes and zero...I mean zero resilience. 

It’s not just the injuries the playcalling is horrible

Gase f-cking LOVES the qb under Center taking 5-step dropbacks while Kalil - the guy Gase f-cking signed- gets turnstiled 

And the constant screen passes defenses always identify pre snap Oh My God

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

As you have read there were differing opinions when it came to FA and Draft from Mac to Gase. How do you know Gase wanted these players? Including Siemian... But even so... maybe if we had an OL that Siemian might actually have looked better then he did... Or Falk... 

How do you know what gase wanted or did not want. this is pure speculation and all it does is give benefit of the doubt to the coach which in this case he does not deserve. he could have brought in other qbs or linemen as well. He should have say about who fits his roster and who does not and work with the gm to get those players.

Gase was here the whole off season at at one point was running the show before training camp started he could have brought in other players to compete.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

We have seen very good offensive lines look like ass when our quarterback went down.

1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2007 were all years where Testaverde or Pennington went down for the season and despite having the likes of Kevin Mawae, Jumbo Elliot, Nick Mangold, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson up front and the likes of Curtis Martin out back you'd have thought we had the worst OL and RB situation in the NFL.  Couldn't pass protect, couldn't run block, looked completely dysfunctional.  2002 being the perfect example, you could flip a switch on the change from Testaverde to Pennington, the exact same offense that looked so pathetic went on to win the division and annihilate the Colts in the playoffs.

QB goes down, D doesn't respect the backup, they stack 11 in the box, take away the RB, dare the QB to beat them, and he can't.  It's the oldest script in the book.  When Darnold returns the OL will improve and the RB will look dominant again.  If you don't have a legitimate NFL QB the D decimates your OL.  It's how it goes.

SAR I

but this oline looked bad when Sam was in. you cant have it both ways, this staff has not adjusted or if they have ti failed and let the players and the fans down

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Not even sure why this is a debate. It’s easier than EVER to score and move the ball in this league. There’s no excuse for us to be this bad on offense, even with the injuries. 

Gase is like the bastard son of Schotty and Bates. 

watching yesterday (at least as much as i could, redzone was a better option), i came to the conclusion that gase just wanted to get thru the game w/o more serious injuries and not show his preferred plays in the playbook.  i could see this being a mindset, having 2 weeks to get the starting qb in there and having 2 weeks to try to get the OL functional so you can begin to run plays to get weapons downfield and open up lanes for bell.  no reason to give the eagles/cowbows/NE any real tape to watch with falk.  

we all wanted to believe that the new guys could accelerate the offense's development but in reality we're facing  2 year near full rebuild of the offense.  the ONE reassuring believe i have now, is that this gm will finally not neglect and even focus on beefing up the OL.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Gase f-cking LOVES the qb under Center taking 5-step dropbacks while Kalil - the guy Gase f-cking signed- gets turnstiled 

Gase didn't sign Kahlil... JD did... and only becuase he saw how bad the line was and was taking stabs at anything and hoping a decent return.... On that note it does look like Kahlil is done. I bet he is benched for Harrison in Week 5.

17 minutes ago, rammagen said:

How do you know what gase wanted or did not want. this is pure speculation and all it does is give benefit of the doubt to the coach which in this case he does not deserve. he could have brought in other qbs or linemen as well. He should have say about who fits his roster and who does not and work with the gm to get those players.

Gase was here the whole off season at at one point was running the show before training camp started he could have brought in other players to compete.

That is my ******* point... You are guessing that these players are Gase's ... I was giving the counter point that maybe they aren't... And if you haven't been watching 25% of the team is turned over since the draft... They are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for roster.

The bigger problem is that the starters are not players Gase may have wanted and there is a very difficult task to do that in season. 

And if you think the the 25% of the roster that was turned over was so good, why are they not starting for other teams in the league... or why are they getting picked up and then dropped repeatedly throughout the league.

I'm not liking what I'm seeing from Gase and his gamplanning and playcalling (the offense has been non-competitive over a 3 game span), but am willing to reserve ultimate judgement until has has a 1st string QB and a fully healthy and ready OL for a few games.  This should reveal if he's been a victim of Mac's roster or he's just a bad coach.  If the OL is even close to average and Darnold is healthy, I think this team is capable of consistently moving the ball and scoring points. If they can't, then management has to take a hard look at the HC.  And that's why they play the games!

I still haven't jumped ship with this team but I'm slowly approaching the plank.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

we're facing  2 year near full rebuild of the offense

Ugh. Here it comes, the “it’s a multi-year rebuild” narrative. 

If competent people are in-charge, then we should be competitive next year based on the fact I’ve been told we have a franchise QB.

People cannot argue that a FQB is the cure to everything, but also argue “but it’s a rebuild”.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Ugh. Here it comes, the “it’s a multi-year rebuild” narrative. 

If competent people are in-charge, then we should be competitive next year based on the fact I’ve been told we have a franchise QB.

People cannot argue that a FQB is the cure to everything, but also argue “but it’s a rebuild”.

yep.  and they need it.  i say 2 yrs, but one good offseason could make them competent and watchable.  

56 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Gase didn't sign Kahlil... JD did... and only becuase he saw how bad the line was and was taking stabs at anything and hoping a decent return.... On that note it does look like Kahlil is done. I bet he is benched for Harrison in Week 5.

JD is Gase’s boy

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I'm not liking what I'm seeing from Gase and his gamplanning and playcalling (the offense has been non-competitive over a 3 game span), but am willing to reserve ultimate judgement until has has a 1st string QB and a fully healthy and ready OL for a few games.  This should reveal if he's been a victim of Mac's roster or he's just a bad coach.  If the OL is even close to average and Darnold is healthy, I think this team is capable of consistently moving the ball and scoring points. If they can't, then management has to take a hard look at the HC.  And that's why they play the games!

Yeah, this. I find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending Gase, a guy I think was a bad hire and will not turn out well.  He seems in love with swing passes and refuses any roll outs, etc. etc.  However, I'm not convinced of my own infallibility, so the guy deserves some time.

Can we all at least agree that Gase will NOT be fired during the season unless something really awful is happening behind the scenes that we don't know about?  If so, calling for him to be fired now is rather silly.  And how about recognizing the small sample sizes in all this?

Maybe I'm not angry about Gase b/c I never thought the Jets would be any good this season, anyways.  I figured 6-10 would be about it, but if Darnold is out much longer, 3-4 wins may be about where it ends up.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Yeah, this. I find myself in the uncomfortable position of defending Gase, a guy I think was a bad hire and will not turn out well.  He seems in love with swing passes and refuses any roll outs, etc. etc.  However, I'm not convinced of my own infallibility, so the guy deserves some time.

Can we all at least agree that Gase will NOT be fired during the season unless something really awful is happening behind the scenes that we don't know about?  If so, calling for him to be fired now is rather silly.  And how about recognizing the small sample sizes in all this?

Maybe I'm not angry about Gase b/c I never thought the Jets would be any good this season, anyways.  I figured 6-10 would be about it, but if Darnold is out much longer, 3-4 wins may be about where it ends up.

I was a bit more optimistic than you -- I was thinking 8-8 this season, with an outside shot at the playoffs if we caught a couple of breaks.

As to Gase, I think he has done a terrible job, but he also has an awful hand to play.  Our OL is a disaster.  Down to 3rd string QB.  WRs awho do not get consistent separation.  Only receiving threat at TE suspended.  Playing 3 good defenses in first three weeks.  It is a bad hand, but I have not seen anything out of Gase to help an overmatched team at least be competent.  The offense has been incompetent.  Just gaining ten yards for a first down is a seemingly Herculean task.   It is on Gase to find a way to get the offense to play competent NFL football, and through 3 games, he has failed.

That said, we have 13 games to go.  I am not passing judgement on him yet, but it looks really bad right now.  Lets see what happens over the next 13.  If the offense continues to underperform, then I have no problem if he is one and done.  But, like you, I am willing to give him 13 more games to prove he can coach.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Not even sure why this is a debate. It’s easier than EVER to score and move the ball in this league. There’s no excuse for us to be this bad on offense, even with the injuries. 

Gase is like the bastard son of Schotty and Bates. 

I guess you havent heard, the Jets dont have single player on the roster capable of running a slant.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

The Jets record is 0-3 because of injuries to our two best offensive and defensive players.

The reaction of Jets fans is 100% because of a faction of whiners who are in their glory as Joe Beningo wannabe's seeking attention in a perverted contest to see which one of them is more miserable than the other.  "I'm a bigger victim than you because I've been a fan since 1985!" 

The Jets record is unfortunate; the Jets fan's reaction is pathetic. 

SAR I

You play the same game (bragging) except you call it “I’m a bigger fan because of how much I spend on tickets”  

What weapons did this O have to possibly scare NE? Belichick is notorious for taking out an O's best player 

The Jets had two threats-Bell & Anderson. Gilmore can handle Anderson by himself. So that leaves Belichick to focus on Bell. So what's left for Gase & his athletically / experience limited QB?  What?     

45 minutes ago, C Mart said:

What weapons did this O have to possibly scare NE? Belichick is notorious for taking out an O's best player 

The Jets had two threats-Bell & Anderson. Gilmore can handle Anderson by himself. So that leaves Belichick to focus on Bell. So what's left for Gase & his athletically / experience limited QB?  What?     

Seriously, a terrible OL... Only 1 option in the passing game and Bell.   So take out Bell and make Falk beat you with Anderson being covered by one of the best corners in Football.  and Anderson can probably get behind Gilmore but Falk,  A: has to find him in his reads and B: needs the time to throw deep. Both of those things require the OL too block just a little bit.  Which they cannot do.  With Darnold and Herndon maybe the offense will actually look a lot better but a lot better than garbage is still not good.  The OL needs to be addressed this off season and I think JD will be all over it.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

That is my ******* point... You are guessing that these players are Gase's ... I was giving the counter point that maybe they aren't... And if you haven't been watching 25% of the team is turned over since the draft... They are literally scraping the bottom of the barrel for roster.

The bigger problem is that the starters are not players Gase may have wanted and there is a very difficult task to do that in season. 

And if you think the the 25% of the roster that was turned over was so good, why are they not starting for other teams in the league... or why are they getting picked up and then dropped repeatedly throughout the league.

I have been watching to me and to most people with eyes gase is not doing a good job period. he is not adjusting to his players and throwing them under the bus for not performing. Leadership start with the coach he needs to take blame for not putting in game plans or plays that put players into position to succeed. he did the same thing in Miami.  Not roster is perfect so what you are saying is the roster sucks so gase should not be blamed?

How long do you give him 2 yrs or three? seriously if ha can not correct these issues when he had these players all off season and coached them then he is a bigger part of the issue then you are willing to accept. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who would this very-available-in-June backup QB be, exactly? 

see here we go it is not just the qb lets talk about not playing the oline in the preseason as a unit and now as unit they look like crap? why hasn't gase adjusted his game plan to suit his players? maybe he has we dont know but what we do know is gase has not really taken the blame for failing to score or even move the ball. 

Who would be available? why does it matter because Gase had Faulk , and Trevor and talked them up. Faulk for instance, he said he knows the system and he looked bad yesterday now whether that is the receiver or the linemen one part of the team is doing one thing while the qb is doing something else and that is the issue.

Injuries are part of the game and it should not be an excuse for poor coaching. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The offense looked terrible week one and not ready for prime time. That’s on the coach. 

Darnold hits RA on any one of those deep throws you would not be saying this... He had 2 sure fire TDs if not underthrown. Then the score is 30 and they win the game... But you see what you want. 

42 minutes ago, rammagen said:

I have been watching to me and to most people with eyes gase is not doing a good job period. he is not adjusting to his players and throwing them under the bus for not performing. Leadership start with the coach he needs to take blame for not putting in game plans or plays that put players into position to succeed. he did the same thing in Miami.  Not roster is perfect so what you are saying is the roster sucks so gase should not be blamed?

How long do you give him 2 yrs or three? seriously if ha can not correct these issues when he had these players all off season and coached them then he is a bigger part of the issue then you are willing to accept. 

We will see... evaluation is incomplete at worst... If you think you can evaluate a coach 3 games into a season where you have 3 different starting QBs more power to you. I am not ready to say one way or another. If it was Darnold after 3 games and he had looked that bad... then I can see your point.

If you don't think that one player (Darnold) can make a difference in a team, look no further than the Giants... Giants looked inept offensively in the first two games and then Danny Dimes comes in.

If Gase turns this around and hits the playoffs or 9-7 then he is here for 3+ years. If the Jets go 7-9 or worse, they will have to make the playoffs next year to keep his job beyond next year. If the Jets go 4-12 or worse... He will be on the Hot Seat and could be fired mid-season next year.

36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

We will see... evaluation is incomplete at worst... If you think you can evaluate a coach 3 games into a season where you have 3 different starting QBs more power to you. I am not ready to say one way or another. If it was Darnold after 3 games and he had looked that bad... then I can see your point.

If you don't think that one player (Darnold) can make a difference in a team, look no further than the Giants... Giants looked inept offensively in the first two games and then Danny Dimes comes in.

If Gase turns this around and hits the playoffs or 9-7 then he is here for 3+ years. If the Jets go 7-9 or worse, they will have to make the playoffs next year to keep his job beyond next year. If the Jets go 4-12 or worse... He will be on the Hot Seat and could be fired mid-season next year.

we will see,  but I think I can evaluate a coach based on his previous stops. I see the Jets doing no better then 7 and 9 that is winning 2 games in the first 8 weeks. they could have been 8-8 or better if they won the first game against the bills. They could end up worse though because once loosing starts to spiral it breeds more loosing. Esp if he losses the players and it really looks like his calling out the receivers back fired and now calling out other players on top of that while protecting the qb is bad form at best.

I said it earlier he needed to come out guns blazing to win over the fan base that was against his hire esp with his attitude. But he has not done that in fact he has done the exact opposite. 

25 minutes ago, rammagen said:

we will see,  but I think I can evaluate a coach based on his previous stops. I see the Jets doing no better then 7 and 9 that is winning 2 games in the first 8 weeks. they could have been 8-8 or better if they won the first game against the bills. They could end up worse though because once loosing starts to spiral it breeds more loosing. Esp if he losses the players and it really looks like his calling out the receivers back fired and now calling out other players on top of that while protecting the qb is bad form at best.

I said it earlier he needed to come out guns blazing to win over the fan base that was against his hire esp with his attitude. But he has not done that in fact he has done the exact opposite. 

Basing on previous stops would have stopped you from hiring Bill Belichik or Pete Carroll. Just for a quick example... Not saying this is the only way to go but you can't just dismiss a HC 3 games in on his second team.

20 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gardner Minshaw - 204 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Jacoby Brissett - 310 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Kyle Allen - 261 yards, 4 tds - WIN

Mason Rudolph - 174 yards, 2tds - almost win but not quite

Daniel Jones - 336 yards, 2tds and 2 tds rushing, WIN

Teddy Bridgewater - 177 yards, 2 tds - WIN

Yeah, the fact we are down a QB is no excuse for the pathetic display in this league when almost everything favours offense.

Oh, OK, how about the clear and present lack of talent on offense period (aside from Bell) while being on QB #3... Or did we forget the last decade of drafting and free agency? The oline is non existent at this point and it isn't because of the new guys in the front office.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah, Gase really blew that FA acquisition... I can tell he was planning all off season just to sign him. Play calling... Well let's see. Can't run block, can't pass block, on third QB.

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World

I would imagine the next guy up for ANY of those teams would be functional.
Really? Tell us what you think of Phillip Walker or Alex McGough...

Luke Falk's equivalent (practice squad QB) on those teams:

Colts - Phillip Walker (practice squad)
Jaguars - Alex McGough (practice squad)
Steelers - Devlin Hodges (3rd string QB on the 53 man roster)
Giants - Alex Tanney (3rd string QB on the 53)
Panthers - Will Grier (3rd string on the 53)
Saints - Taysom Hill (wildcat-type QB on the game day roster - J.T. Barrett is probably more on par with Falk)