Bye Week Thoughts

KRL

What irks me to no end is watching 7 other back up QB's sling the football all over the stadiums, watching Tom Brady 2 beat Todd Bowles precious POS defense in rousing comeback fashion yesterday, watching the kid from Carolina throw for 700 td's, watching Teddy B fillet the Seahawk defense, even the kid in Pittsburgh, Rudolph played pretty well, and on and on. I know we are on 3rd string QB but our HC does not appear to know there are other offensive players on this team besides #26.

105 total yards in an NFL game is beyond a disgrace, it is 0-16 worthy. I am hoping they go 0-16 and go out and get someone who knows how to run an NFL caliber offense. Someone who will not let his QB's stand there and get killed behind a putrid OL, rather than doing sprint outs or finding other creative ways to protect the QB, none of which seems to be in Gase's repertoire.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

- Trenton Cannon is the touchback king and Braxton Berrios has become the "Latino Jeremy
Kerley" with all his fair catches.  They've done nothing in terms of flipping field position

Id rather the ball at the 25 than these clowns bringing out to the 15 or fumbling. 

Berrios the Latino Jeremey Kerley :rl:

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, KRL said:

It couldn't come soon enough!!!  At least for one week the pain of watching this team 
can subside!!!  The question is once this week is over are we going to be subjected to
13 more weeks of this dreck???

Special Teams

- How sad is this?  Lachlan Edwards almost has the same number of punts (24) that the
two backup QB's have in completions (35)!!!  Edwards has become a consistent punter
unfortunately we've seen way too much of him

- With the offense being so bad Sam Ficken has only had three kicks (1 FG, 2 PAT).  He's
made them all so he's way ahead of the kickers who've been cut

- Trenton Cannon is the touchback king and Braxton Berrios has become the "Latino Jeremy
Kerley" with all his fair catches.  They've done nothing in terms of flipping field position

Defense

- When is CJ Mosley coming back???  In the 40 minutes he's played the defense pitched a shutout,
generated four turnovers and scored twice.  Since Mosley has left the field the defense gave up
a 16-0 lead and allowed 23 and 30 points.  Mosley is a DC on the field without him this defense
has no shot

- Blake Cashman (14 Tackles, .5 Sack, 3.5 TFL) and Neville Hewitt (21 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 3 TFL,
1 INT) have stepped up in their increased reps.  Once Mosley comes back that could become an
interesting trio to watch on the second level

- When is Quinnen Williams coming back???  The #3 pick in the draft needs to get on the field 
and display the talents he showed at Alabama because no one on the DLine is making an impact.
Which is just another indictment on Leonard Williams and his career where he's defining himself
as a JAG.  Incredible that he's making $14 million for the   
Hopefully Quinnen Williams can finally break the cycle of high wasted DLine picks
which has plagued this team since 2012

- Trumaine Johnson has become another wasted high price free agent CB.  Hopefully Joe Douglas
and his staff learn from the organization's past mistakes (Revis, Johnson) and don't go after
older CB's in free agency

- Brian Poole and Nate Hairston have shown promise at CB.  Hopefully that continues and they
can be part of a revamped CB position in the future

Offense

- What offense???  Its been a total breakdown in all phases which has led to a performance 
worse than a JV high school team.  Granted Sam Darnold hasn't been available, but its time
Adam Gase earns his money by creating a functional NFL offense 

- Darnold's absence has exposed the deficiencies on all levels:
  1. The OLine can not protect a traditional pocket passing QB.  Darnold covers their weaknesses
     with his mobility and pocket presence
  2. Poor pass protection makes the receivers ineffective/worthless
  3. The opposing defense has no respect for Trevor Siemian & Luke Falk.  They don't fear them so
     they overload the box with 8 or 9 defenders and dare them to do anything
  4. An overloaded box has made it impossible to run the ball.  So LeVeon Bell's talents can't fully
     be used 

- Darnold hopefully will be back after the bye but its unfair to expect that he alone will fix these
issues.  OLine changes need to be considered,  Ryan Kalil and Brian Winters have been two of the
biggest culprits.  Will Gase ignore their contracts and go to Jonotthan Harrison, Alex Lewis or
Tom Compton???

Now back to a relaxing week without Jet football

Great post..... I was hoping to read a coaching segment though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

When is Quinnen Williams coming back???  The #3 pick in the draft needs to get on the field 
and display the talents he showed at Alabama because no one on the DLine is making an impact.
Which is just another indictment on Leonard Williams and his career where he's defining himself
as a JAG.  Incredible that he's making $14 million for basically doing nothing.   
Hopefully Quinnen Williams can finally break the cycle of high wasted DLine picks

IMG_5605.JPG.f39ad0bebcecff959b7c005ae9e75db6.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

- Darnold hopefully will be back after the bye but its unfair to expect that he alone will fix these
issues.  

I really enjoy how many excuses Jets fans are making for Sam Darnold

did you hear?

the Jets strapped Sam Darnold into a kissing booth and made him kiss every Rutgers female within a 25 mile radius of met life stadium? it was barbaric. they changed 50 cents a pop. 

2000 other players in the NFL DIDN'T get mono.  

Jamal Adams is 23 he's not getting mono. 

ya know? it's like choices have consequences 

the only other QB in NFL history to get mono (and ADMIT TO IT) was Chris Chandler it basically ruined his career (Steve McNair took his job and never looked back)

and also don't tell me he got it from a drinking glass.

talking about the offensive line yeah they suck at least they don't have mono.  at least they are playing. 

and ya know what else? 

even if all the above is BS and i'm a dum dum stupidhead, completely irrational, the following are FACTS:  

-they used 3 second round picks to move up 3 spots to get this player (complaining about lineman and CBs, 2 years ago QB was everything)

-14 missed a month last year,

-as a rookie he led the league in interceptions until that last month

-he's not getting better missing time (a month? 2 months) this year

-he needs reps to get better

-fast forward to next season, year 3, he will have started how many games? 

back to opinion mode:

they sold a ton of Darnold jerseys this summer with that great power comes great responsibility. i don't care if he becomes a monk in the offseason or a sex worker as long as he is ready for the season. blame the line all you want or Quinnen Williams (really? at least he got hurt playing FOOTBALL) 14 needs to be out there.  

14 screwed this season getting mono and possibly his career - you don't get these developmental years back

he's got responsibility of Sanchez with the durability of Chadwick 

this start is more Sam Darnold's fault than Adam Gase aka Rich Kotite part 2 (and that guy can't play call his way out of a wet paper bag)

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 11
  • WTF? 1

You know it might be best for my sanity and fandom if I used the bye week to take a week off from reading some of the things I've seen posted in the forum today.  Starting with the Jets are faking Darnold's illness just to prep the OL for a few weeks to articles written by teenagers being posted as if they are headlines.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

did you hear?

the Jets strapped Sam Darnold into a kissing booth and made him kiss every Rutgers female within a 25 mile radius of met life stadium? it was barbaric. they changed 50 cents a pop. 

the only other QB in NFL history to get mono (and ADMIT TO IT) was Chris Chandler it basically ruined his career (Steve McNair took his job and never looked back)

talking about the offensive line yeah they suck at least they don't have mono.  at least they are playing. 

and ya know what else? 

even if all the above is BS and i'm a dum dum stupidhead, completely irrational, the following are FACTS:  

-they used 3 second round picks to move up 3 spots to get this player (complaining about lineman and CBs, 2 years ago QB was everything)

back to opinion mode:

they sold a ton of Darnold jerseys this summer with that great power comes great responsibility. i don't care if he becomes a monk in the offseason or a sex worker as long as he is ready for the season. blame the line all you want he needs to be out there 

14 screwed this season getting mono and possibly his career - you don't get these developmental years back

this start is more Sam Darnold's fault than Adam Gase aka Rich Kotite part 2 (and that guy can't play call his way out of a wet paper bag)

Oh and you forgot that they need Darnold in there to make the OL look respectable again.  So there is always that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

did you hear?

and ya know what else? 

back to opinion mode:

they sold a ton of Darnold jerseys this summer with that great power comes great responsibility. i don't care if he becomes a monk in the offseason or a sex worker as long as he is ready for the season. blame the line all you want or Quinnen Williams (really? at least he got hurt playing FOOTBALL) 14 needs to be out there.  

dude.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Oh and you forgot that they need Darnold in there to make the OL look respectable again.  So there is always that.

I actually heard a fan say "the line sucks so bad, Darnold getting mono is a blessing" 

like him not playing somehow protects his precious potential

so... many... excuses 

meanwhile KRL blaming Quinnen for getting a high ankle sprain and everyone calls it the post of the year 

this is the NFL

there's no excuse for anything.

everything that happens to a player even if it's not their fault IS THEIR FAULT

IF we can blame Q for an ankle sprain I'm blaming Sam Darnold for his life choices

and while we are at it Chris Herndon is a disgrace too

• Haha 1

Just now, bitonti said:

I actually heard a fan say "the line sucks so bad, Darnold getting mono is a blessing" 

like him not playing somehow protects his precious potential

so... many... excuses 

meanwhile KRL blaming Quinnen for getting a high ankle sprain and everyone calls it the post of the year 

this is the NFL

there's no excuse for anything.

everything that happens to a player even if it's not their fault IS THEIR FAULT

IF we can blame Q for an ankle sprain I'm blaming Sam Darnold for his life choices

and while we are at it Chris Herndon is a disgrace too

Don't hold back. Let it all out. There's more. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

It couldn't come soon enough!!!  At least for one week the pain of watching this team 
can subside!!!  The question is once this week is over are we going to be subjected to

Special Teams

- How sad is this?  Lachlan Edwards almost has the same number of punts (24) that the
two backup QB's have in completions (35)!!!  Edwards has become a consistent punter

- With the offense being so bad Sam Ficken has only had three kicks (1 FG, 2 PAT).  He's

Defense

- When is CJ Mosley coming back???  In the 40 minutes he's played the defense pitched a shutout,
generated four turnovers and scored twice.  Since Mosley has left the field the defense gave up
a 16-0 lead and allowed 23 and 30 points.  Mosley is a DC on the field without him this defense
has no shot

- Blake Cashman (14 Tackles, .5 Sack, 3.5 TFL) and Neville Hewitt (21 Tackles, 2 Sacks, 3 TFL,
1 INT) have stepped up in their increased reps.  Once Mosley comes back that could become an

- When is Quinnen Williams coming back???  The #3 pick in the draft needs to get on the field 

- Trumaine Johnson has become another wasted high price free agent CB.  Hopefully Joe Douglas
and his staff learn from the organization's past mistakes (Revis, Johnson) and don't go after

- Brian Poole and Nate Hairston have shown promise at CB.  Hopefully that continues and they

Offense

- What offense???  Its been a total breakdown in all phases which has led to a performance 
worse than a JV high school team.  Granted Sam Darnold hasn't been available, but its time

1. The OLine can not protect a traditional pocket passing QB.  Darnold covers their weaknesses
  3. The opposing defense has no respect for Trevor Siemian & Luke Falk.  They don't fear them so
  4. An overloaded box has made it impossible to run the ball.  So LeVeon Bell's talents can't fully
     be used 

issues.  OLine changes need to be considered,  Ryan Kalil and Brian Winters have been two of the
biggest culprits.  Will Gase ignore their contracts and go to Jonotthan Harrison, Alex Lewis or
Tom Compton???

The Jets were playing the Pats in a game the Jets had zero chance at winning and a bye coming up. Mosley and Williams were held out so they can actually make a difference in games that are winnable after the bye with Darnold back (hopefully). 

It's one of the smart moves Gase has made. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Don't hold back. Let it all out. There's more. 

You're GD right there's more... 13 weeks more.

I thought about it and everyone else is right

this whole Sam getting MONO thing IS the offensive line's fault 

they should be going out with Sam Darnold everywhere, forming a protective pocket to keep him away from drunken college girlz gone wild

this isn't his fault. He's just an adult with free will and the capability to make decisions.  

meanwhile, there are legions of MONO crazed millennials, all sweaty, bare midriffs, just throwing themselves at the starting QB of the New York Jets all the time

it's the new feminism. 

how can we blame a simple USC qb from the sleepy countryside of Capistrano Beach? They don't have hot girls there. He didn't know how to act around them. 

so I ask you, fellow Jet fan, where was Ryan Kalil when all this happened? Where was Kelvin Beachum? These guys are supposed to protect the quarterback and have his back. Blitz pickup means Uber pickup and be his wingman all night. it's in the contract.  

Where were the backup qbs? Trevor Simean is supposed to be taking all the heat in the presesason. The heat meaning 19 year old co-eds running a constant low-grade fever

where was Woody Johnson? wait actually I know where he is, let's leave him there 

bottom line this wasn't Sam's fault. the organization let him down

and to a larger extent, a couple million years of human evolution too

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

You're GD right there's more... 13 weeks more.

I thought about it and everyone else is right

this whole Sam getting MONO thing IS the offensive line's fault 

they should be going out with Sam Darnold everywhere, forming a protective pocket to keep him away from drunken college girlz gone wild

this isn't his fault. He's just an adult with free will and the capability to make decisions.  

meanwhile, there are legions of MONO crazed millennials, all sweaty, bare midriffs, just throwing themselves at the starting QB of the New York Jets all the time

it's the new feminism. 

how can we blame a simple USC qb from the sleepy countryside of Capistrano Beach? They don't have hot girls there. He didn't know how to act around them. 

so I ask you, fellow Jet fan, where was Ryan Kalil when all this happened? Where was Kelvin Beachum? These guys are supposed to protect the quarterback and have his back. Blitz pickup means Uber pickup and be his wingman all night. it's in the contract.  

Where were the backup qbs? Trevor Simean is supposed to be taking all the heat in the presesason. The heat meaning 19 year old co-eds running a constant low-grade fever

where was Woody Johnson? wait actually I know where he is, let's leave him there 

bottom line this wasn't Sam's fault. the organization let him down

and to a larger extent, a couple million years of human evolution too

POTY

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

What irks me to no end is watching 7 other back up QB's sling the football all over the stadiums, watching Tom Brady 2 beat Todd Bowles precious POS defense in rousing comeback fashion yesterday, watching the kid from Carolina throw for 700 td's, watching Teddy B fillet the Seahawk defense, even the kid in Pittsburgh, Rudolph played pretty well, and on and on. I know we are on 3rd string QB but our HC does not appear to know there are other offensive players on this team besides #26.

105 total yards in an NFL game is beyond a disgrace, it is 0-16 worthy. I am hoping they go 0-16 and go out and get someone who knows how to run an NFL caliber offense. Someone who will not let his QB's stand there and get killed behind a putrid OL, rather than doing sprint outs or finding other creative ways to protect the QB, none of which seems to be in Gase's repertoire.

When I watch other games, college included, how many times do I think to myself "he just had all day to throw?"  "The QB could have sat down in the pocket, done a few situps, and then stood up to scan the field and deliver the ball without taking a hit."

In 3 Jet games... have we thought that even on a single play?

This O-line is historically dreadful.   I believe Adam Gase can adjust his system, but he needs a little time...

They just played maybe 2 of 3 best defenses in the league... and another really good one.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

did you hear?

and ya know what else? 

back to opinion mode:

Bit, come on dude!  Getting mono is a fluke at his age.  So what if he is making out with chicks.  What, no young NFL player has never chased tale before?

Besides, there are NUMEROUS ways of catching it.  It was an absolute fluke that he got it.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Special Teams

Defense

has no shot

Offense

be used 

Tom Compton???

All that really needs to be said is that through 3 weeks, our D/ST has outscored our offense 22-11.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Bit, come on dude!  Getting mono is a fluke at his age.  So what if he is making out with chicks.  What, no young NFL player has never chased tale before?

Besides, there are NUMEROUS ways of catching it.  It was an absolute fluke that he got it.

BOYZ WILL BE BOYZ... AMIRITE! 

he's the most important person on  a 150 million dollar payroll 

the seasons essentially over at week 3

BUT AT LEAST HES GETTING IT WET oh YEAH! 

I also enjoy the drinking glass defense.

Who came up with this, Alan Dershowitz? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Special Teams

Defense

has no shot

Offense

be used 

Tom Compton???

Great post. In all seriousness, if that’s possible at this time, some other observations:

Bills are 3-0.

Browns Defense is legit. Rams barely got past them last night and  did a good job of shutting down an explosive Rams offense. 

The Cheaters look like they might be heading for another SB finale.

48 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Jets were playing the Pats in a game the Jets had zero chance at winning and a bye coming up. Mosley and Williams were held out so they can actually make a difference in games that are winnable after the bye with Darnold back (hopefully). 

It's one of the smart moves Gase has made. 

Did you make that up all by yourself or do you have a link that this was the motive?  Just curious.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Id rather the ball at the 25 than these clowns bringing out to the 15 or fumbling. 

Berrios the Latino Jeremey Kerley :rl:

i certainly don't have much issue with a player downing it in the end zone on a kick off.  berrios seems to be fair catching a fair number of punts..  it could be the return coverage isn't that good or just that he doesn't want to take a chance.  one point made though is if he's going to fake fair catch and let the ball bounce then he has to make sure the gunner can't keep the ball in the field of play.