Remember when the Yankees were scary???

Jet/BosoxFan

This came up on another thread during a discussion. Remember when the Yankees used to have a decent shot at winning the World Series every year? Hell, I'd even say they were favored to win it every year. Some call it a dynasty even. Names like Rivera, Jeter, Williams, O'Neil, Brosius, and Tino used to strike fear in the hearts of the rest of baseball.

OK...maybe not quite that dramatic as 90% of MLB teams played in front of empty stadiums and nobody outside of Boston or NYC gave a flying f*ck about baseball...but thats not germaine.

The Yankees used to field a team every year that worked the count, stole bases, manufactured runs, and pitched well down the stretch and in the postseason. In fact, they beat teams by outpitching them! How novel!

Now, they've turned to offense and in essence fixed a problem that was never broken. I guess their fanbase doesnt care because its COOL to see lots of homeruns and they sell lots of tickets and jerseys.

But no matter who is in your lineup...during the span of 162 games, ANY offense is bound to hit multiple dry spells. Nobody has scored 10+ runs every night for 9 months. EVER. Not even the Big Red Machine!

Anyway, back to the mid-to-late 90s when the Yankees were scary. Some other things were going on too:

-We invaded Iraq for the 1st time

-Buster Douglas kicked Mike Tyson's @ss

-OJ killed 2 people and got away with it

-Murphy Brown had a baby

-Monica Lewdinsky

-tech stocks & the dot com Boom!

-crappy radio-friendly schwag like Dishwalla, 4 non-blondes, and Letters to Cleo ruled the airways

-Democrats were in power

-there was no such thing as Reality TV

-Pam and Tommy Lee made their acting debut

-The Lambada was a forbidden dance

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JBF -

Too true.

Two things doomed the Yankees dynasty.

First, the day George was reinstated as a 'hands-on' owner, the Yankees demise was started. His banishment was the best thing that every happened to that team. It allowed actual baseball people to stock one of best minor league systems of the time. Of course, it produced most of the aforementioned home-grown talent.

Second, the homerun assualt by McGwire, Bonds and Sosa. IMHO the day the Yankees' lost the single season homerun record, the final nail in the Yankees Dynasty was nailed into the coffin. 1998 saw the best team of our generation run away with the league. A team that still had a talented core that had a few championships still in it, but it is also saw the end of a Yankee holding the single season homerun record.

Then Sosa and McGwire continued their assault on the record books in 1999.

In 2000, Bonds and McGwire started getting ready to push Babe a little further down the list.

Then 2001 comes and the Yankees fail to win the World Series because they were out-pitched. Of course the answer was to get a hitter. Along comes Giambi for the 2002 season. To be followed by Sheffield and A-Rod in subsequent years.

However, the Yankees get no closer to the title and in fact they slip further and further away. Last year the Angels shut their hitting down.

In 2004, the Sox pitching held the Yanks bats in check of a historic collapse.

2003, a 91 win Florida Marlin team outpitched the vaunted Yankee bats with a cast of unknown pitchers.

Of course this followed a 2002 playoff exit that saw the Yankees get outhit by the then Anaheim Angels.

Unless the Yankees get significant support for Randy whether it is in the form of Moose being the 32yo Moose or one of the Youngsters stepping up, the Yankees will have the bats to win their annual 90-100 games. Then they will come up short int he playoffs as they have done every season since 2001.

Enjoy 3rd place this season fellas.

Always so concerned about what the Yankees are doing. Its pathetic.

There are 2 guys you have to get out in the Red Sox lineup. Other then Ortiz and Manny, its pretty weak.

Sox will be awful this season.

Sorry

As the owner of a message board I have to say....good post. As a baseball fan I have to say....nice try.

A few things....your basic point is right (and PF has long been right about George and the power thing, he called that years ago).

A few things I like:

-The return of power to the NY Office for the Yankees. Cashman may not be the best. I just want ONE person to blame when things go bad. This whole Tampa\NY thing is hopefully behind them.

-They addressed two big needs: CF and Leadoff. Jeter goes back to # 2 everyone else moves down a spot. The Yankees OBP will improve next season. That is huge.

What will it all come down to? The health of the pitching staff. Same as it ever was.

-We invaded Iraq for the 1st time

-Buster Douglas kicked Mike Tyson's @ss

-OJ killed 2 people and got away with it

-Murphy Brown had a baby

-Monica Lewdinsky

-tech stocks & the dot com Boom!

-crappy radio-friendly schwag like Dishwalla, 4 non-blondes, and Letters to Cleo ruled the airways

-Democrats were in power

-there was no such thing as Reality TV

-Pam and Tommy Lee made their acting debut

-The Lambada was a forbidden dance

Half of the things you listed happened during the Blue Jays dynasty. I understand that you were trying really hard to be funny, but you might as well have mentioned Pop Rocks and the invention of compact discs.

There are 2 guys you have to get out in the Red Sox lineup. Other then Ortiz and Manny, its pretty weak.

Sorry

I almost respected that, but I decided I couldn't respect the opinion of someone who didn't know the difference between than and then.

Ortiz and Manny? That's all you think we have? We have arguably the league's best hitting catcher, a power 3B in a hitter friendly park, a young up and coming CF with power and speed, a RFer who when healthy can put up big numbers (like 8 RBI in one game), OB machines at 1B and 2B, and a SS meant for defense. Not to mention our rotation and bullpen are both better and younger. You go on thinking about not having to worry about the Red Sox. You shouldn't. You should keep your sights on your team and hope they don't crumble and break.

I almost respected that, but I decided I couldn't respect the opinion of someone who didn't know the difference between than and then.

Ortiz and Manny? That's all you think we have? We have arguably the league's best hitting catcher, a power 3B in a hitter friendly park, a young up and coming CF with power and speed, a RFer who when healthy can put up big numbers (like 8 RBI in one game), OB machines at 1B and 2B, and a SS meant for defense. Not to mention our rotation and bullpen are both better and younger. You go on thinking about not having to worry about the Red Sox. You shouldn't. You should keep your sights on your team and hope they don't crumble and break.

Right right.

Enjoy 3rd place

Funny sh#t.

Your left side of the infield is the worst in the division. Ortiz cant play defense, so who's this 1B obp machine you got there?

And you're pitching staff depends on a old fat toad coming back from a serious injury, and a marlin who's never stayed healthy.

Red sox are going to suck this year. Enjoy missing out on the playoffs.

Funny sh#t.

Your left side of the infield is the worst in the division. Ortiz cant play defense, so who's this 1B obp machine you got there?

And you're pitching staff depends on a old fat toad coming back from a serious injury, and a marlin who's never stayed healthy.

Red sox are going to suck this year. Enjoy missing out on the playoffs.

Our 1B is Kevin Youkilis (the OBP machine) platooning with JT Snow. Curt Schilling, if you had seen him lately has shed some pounds and has said he was in perfect health. Even if Beckett cannot stay healthy (which he says he is and has dominated the Yanks) we currently have 7 starters, so we do have depth. I don't see how Lowell and Gonzalez (both GG type players) is the worst in the division. That's just a rash statement. If Lowell gains any form of himself, he can do well with the Green Monster. Gonzalez (who is hitting lights out right now in the precursor to the WBC) is going to be relied of primarily for defense. Any offense from him is a bonus. If you think the Sox will miss the playoffs your sadly mistaken.

You said "Other then Ortiz and Manny.." when in reality and common grammar you should have used than. You learn this stuff in 3rd grade. I know this isn't a board for spelling and grammar checking, but at least be a little intelligent. If you need me to explain the difference between the two words, I'd be happy to.

If you think the Sox will miss the playoffs your sadly mistaken.

You learn this stuff in 3rd grade. I know this isn't a board for spelling and grammar checking, but at least be a little intelligent. If you need me to explain the difference between the two words, I'd be happy to.

Do you mean the difference between your and you're?

My one typo in a long winded rant doesn't excuse your stupidity in a three liner. You probably wouldn't even had known the difference. Grammar aside, no one has even tried to dispute any of my claims. Interesting.

YOU HAVE THE WORST INFIELD IN THE DIVISION!

Youkilis has never done jack, and Lowell sucks. Gonzalez/Cora are garbage.

YOU HAVE THE WORST INFIELD IN THE DIVISION!

Youkilis has never done jack, and Lowell sucks. Gonzalez/Cora are garbage.

You are overstating and and reaching now, especially without any statistical proof. Youkilis has been a back-up for some time but in limited action he has performed well. Besides the fact we aren't expecting huge numbers, his OBP is more than enough to make him at least a valuable asset. He had a .400 OBP last season and .376 OBP overall in his career. And if he doesn't perform, JT Snow is more than adequate as a back-up.

Mike Lowell does not suck and is far from it. He is one season removed from 27 HRs and 85 RBIs. He is now moving into the friendly confines of Boston's Fenway Park, with a big green wall in LF, which can only aid him. He is also a gold glover.

Alex Gonzalez is also only one season removed from great numbers in Florida and also is a great defender. He also will benefit from the Monster. And he is tearing it up in the Caribbean WS.

The thing you don't seem too comprehend is with hitters like Manny, Ortiz, Tek, and Nixon we don't need an all-star at every other position. Players like Loretta, Gonzalez and Youk will get on base and score runs because we have a well balanced team. I can't believe I have to argue with someone who doesn't realy come with anything but false accusations and this player sucks. You need to come up with some better proof because right now you're being pwned.

Just like Yankee fans are overly optimistic about the health of the rotation and bullpen? Kind of hypocritical, no?

No, it's the Yankees.

Small will go 20-0 this year. Chacon may only lose 2 games. Wang's wing is fine, not to mention the skullet's. Mussina will finally be consistant. 97 year old Bernie will hit .300.

Sorry

So a line-up were 7 of the 9 players hit over .270 is a bad thing?

Sox got younger at the top of the order with the move to Coco. Look at his numbers and compares very well with Damon and he put his numbers up with Cleveland.

Loretta hit .280 last year and is a career .301 hitter. His is the proto-type Theo guy that generates high pitch counts.

Then you show your ignornance by omitting Tek. All you have is a switch hitting catcher that hits for average and power. Yeah, that is a bad thing to have.

If Lowell and Trot, rebound and avoid injuries, your 3 through 7 batters are all high average players with power.

Then you have Youlkis and Gonzalez rounding out the line-up. It doe snot matter if these two hit, Gonzalez was brought into shore up the horrible defense Renteria provided.

I would not penci in the Jays for second just yet. As the Orioles and Rangers have prooven, throwing money around does not ensure success. With a healthy Schil and Foulke, plus the addition of Beckett, the Sox will be a contender for the AL East.

You are overstating and and reaching now, especially without any statistical proof. Youkilis has been a back-up for some time but in limited action he has performed well. Besides the fact we aren't expecting huge numbers, his OBP is more than enough to make him at least a valuable asset. He had a .400 OBP last season and .376 OBP overall in his career. And if he doesn't perform, JT Snow is more than adequate as a back-up.

Mike Lowell does not suck and is far from it. He is one season removed from 27 HRs and 85 RBIs. He is now moving into the friendly confines of Boston's Fenway Park, with a big green wall in LF, which can only aid him. He is also a gold glover.

Alex Gonzalez is also only one season removed from great numbers in Florida and also is a great defender. He also will benefit from the Monster. And he is tearing it up in the Caribbean WS.

The thing you don't seem too comprehend is with hitters like Manny, Ortiz, Tek, and Nixon we don't need an all-star at every other position. Players like Loretta, Gonzalez and Youk will get on base and score runs because we have a well balanced team. I can't believe I have to argue with someone who doesn't realy come with anything but false accusations and this player sucks. You need to come up with some better proof because right now you're being pwned.

Are you serious?

You're being a homer. I could say the same thing like "Pavano, Randy and Wright are all 1 year removed form great seasons"

But guess what? All 3 did jack sh#t last year. And Lowell is the worst of the bunch. Nice, you got a defensive SS, so do we, except our SS is also 1 of the best offensive SS in the league.

Sox infield is the worst in the AL East.

Mora--Tejada--Roberts

Arod--Jeter--Cano

Even the drays infield is better with a SS like Lugo.

You're reaching again, thorr. Nobody expects jack from Bernie, he wont even be a starter. Nice try.

Sorry, I forgot Varitek. I'm on record here saying how I think he's the best hitting catcher in baseball, my mistake.

Trot Nixon doesn't even play every day.

You guys like Coco Crisp, that's fine. I just don't see it. GOing from Damon to Crisp is a downgrade anyway you look at it.

Mike Lowell?? Come on. He's a year removed away from 27 HR'S and 85 RBI? Who cares. Alot of guys are one year removed from nice seasons. Lowell was horrendous last season.

I said things in this thread to stir the pot. With Manny and Ortiz, the Sox will always have a dangerous lineup. Just the ridiculous homerism of Crazy Carl gave me a good laugh.

What it comes down to for the Yankees in my opinion is Chacon and Wang pitiching well along with Randy rebounding. Also, not tightening up in the playoffs again will help too.

Are you serious?

You're being a homer. I could say the same thing like "Pavano, Randy and Wright are all 1 year removed form great seasons"

But guess what? All 3 did jack sh#t last year. And Lowell is the worst of the bunch. Nice, you got a defensive SS, so do we, except our SS is also 1 of the best offensive SS in the league.

Sox infield is the worst in the AL East.

Mora--Tejada--Roberts

Arod--Jeter--Cano

Even the drays infield is better with a SS like Lugo.

You're reaching again, thorr. Nobody expects jack from Bernie, he wont even be a starter. Nice try.

May suprise some folks but,

Gonzalez has hit 6 less Homers than Jeter and actually has 1 more RBI over the last 3 seasons. He also HAS won a ring during that timeframe.

Jeter is still the better overall offensive player while defense is close.

May suprise some folks but,

Gonzalez has hit 6 less Homers than Jeter and actually has 1 more RBI over the last 3 seasons. He also HAS won a ring during that timeframe.

Jeter is still the better overall offensive player while defense is close.

Amazing how 2 years of decent fielding, has over shadowed his previous 8 or so years of mediocre defense. He is too slow to set-up at a normal depth and has to take a few steps back in order to field the ball properly.

How is expecting big years from Randy Johnson any different from me expecting a turnaround from Mike Lowell? Again you just make accusations without any proof or statistical evidence. Until you can give me something to work with here, consider yourself pwned.

pwned? Are you stupid or something?

You made my point. I'm not expecting a huge year from Randy, because based on last season he isnt truly great anymore. I except him to pitch better. Pavano moreso than Wright is a different story, I'll give them a 2nd chance to stay healthy before I write them off.

But you're pathetic homer soul actually expects Lowell to bounce back. He's garbage, and was never great anyway.

Exactly what accusations did I make without stats? That you're infield is the worst in the AL East? I'm not gonna waste my time to prove something I already know. If you give a damn so much, why dont you disapprove my accusation that the redsox infield is the worst in the AFC East, or stfu "pwned".

pwned? Are you stupid or something?

You made my point. I'm not expecting a huge year from Randy, because based on last season he isnt truly great anymore. I except him to pitch better. Pavano moreso than Wright is a different story, I'll give them a 2nd chance to stay healthy before I write them off.

But you're pathetic homer soul actually expects Lowell to bounce back. He's garbage, and was never great anyway.

Exactly what accusations did I make without stats? That you're infield is the worst in the AL East? I'm not gonna waste my time to prove something I already know. If you give a damn so much, why dont you disapprove my accusation that the redsox infield is the worst in the AFC East, or stfu "pwned".

You're right. The Red Sox infield is the worst in the AFC East.

There has been a plethora of players that have come to Boston and turned their hitting around. David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, Johnny Damon. Hell Bill Mueller won a batting title here. What you don't seem to understand is that fenway park is a hitters park. A RH power hitter like Lowell will thrive in Boston because of the structure of the park. Our infield may not be the best hitting infield in the AL East but it doesn't have to be with the other players. It is however, filled with great role players who get the job done.

We won 95 games last year with a horrible staffed pitching team that was riddled with injuries. The Yankees won 95 games as well. We have improved exponentially fielding and pitching. Yet we are the worst team in terms of what? False Yankee hope? Your statements are ridiculous and so are you. Come back at me with more conjecture, it only makes you look more the lesser.

Please explain how you've improved your pitching "exponentially."

Signing Josh Beckett who gets hurt every season?

Tavarez, Riske and Seanez were decent bullpen additions to be fair.

With 6 starters plus Papelbon , Becket is a great addition.

Remember the Sox once got Schilling because they knew he could dispose of the Yankess in October in the Bronx no less.

Beckett has the same resume.

Archived