Remember when the Yankees were scary???

Jet/BosoxFan

Tavarez, Riske and Seanez were decent bullpen additions to be fair.

With 6 starters plus Papelbon , Becket is a great addition.

Remember the Sox once got Schilling because they knew he could dispose of the Yankess in October in the Bronx no less.

Beckett has the same resume.

That's going on the assupmtion that the Sox are a playoff team.

Schilling was not very good last season. Beckett had a great series against the Yanks, he was phenomenal. However, to ignore the fact that he gets hurt every season isn't fair.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're right. The Red Sox infield is the worst in the AFC East.

There has been a plethora of players that have come to Boston and turned their hitting around. David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, Johnny Damon. Hell Bill Mueller won a batting title here. What you don't seem to understand is that fenway park is a hitters park. A RH power hitter like Lowell will thrive in Boston because of the structure of the park. Our infield may not be the best hitting infield in the AL East but it doesn't have to be with the other players. It is however, filled with great role players who get the job done.

We won 95 games last year with a horrible staffed pitching team that was riddled with injuries. The Yankees won 95 games as well. We have improved exponentially fielding and pitching. Yet we are the worst team in terms of what? False Yankee hope? Your statements are ridiculous and so are you. Come back at me with more conjecture, it only makes you look more the lesser.

Really? Combined, how many games has this new redsox team won with guys like Lowell, Gonzalez and Loretta? NONE. So why dont you hold off on that comment, until they prove they can get "the job done".

Yankees improved their hitting and pitching too, moreso than the Sox, who now have a lesser lineup that previous years - and that is a fact.

I didnt say you were the worst team, putting words in others mouth wont get you anywhere. But I did say the sox infield is the worst in the division. And it is. Beckett has never stayed healthy, and Schilling is an old man coming back from a serious injury. I wouldnt put alot of stock into what comes out of his mouth either.

PS: I think that you are really crazy. So I will leave you alone for now.

That's going on the assupmtion that the Sox are a playoff team.

Schilling was not very good last season. Beckett had a great series against the Yanks, he was phenomenal. However, to ignore the fact that he gets hurt every season isn't fair.

Good points and I agree Matt. I do think the Sox are a play-off team and I base that on pitching.

You are dead on in that Schill and Beckett are possible injury concerns but who in the Yanks rotation is not a legitimate question mark be it injury or performance?

I am a fan of neither team but would take the Sox staff over the Yanks.

Good points and I agree Matt. I do think the Sox are a play-off team and I base that on pitching.

You are dead on in that Schill and Beckett are possible injury concerns but who in the Yanks rotation is not a legitimate question mark be it injury or performance?

I am a fan of neither team but would take the Sox staff over the Yanks.

Wow, really? I still take the Yankees.

Now if healthy, Beckett's the best pitcher out of everyone. After that, I think you have to give the edge to the Yanks.

Johnson and Schilling are a wash, I think we can agree on that.

Mussina, yeah he's soft-still an above average pitcher. I'd take him over Clement.

I think Chacon and Wang are going to be very solid. Wakefields still very good and has historically killed the Yankees. Still though, the combination of Chacon, Wang and Mussina vs. Wakefield, Clement and Arroyo- I like the Yankees. Maybe I'm biased-just the way my gut feels though.

Wright stinks, so does Wells. Papelbonn and Small are both big question marks to me.

Long rant, I just think the Yanks starters are a little better. Bullpen is another story.

Now if healthy, Beckett's the best pitcher out of everyone. After that, I think you have to give the edge to the Yanks.

Mussina, yeah he's soft-still an above average pitcher. I'd take him over Clement.

I think Chacon and Wang are going to be very solid. Wakefields still very good and has historically killed the Yankees. Still though, the combination of Chacon, Wang and Mussina vs. Wakefield, Clement and Arroyo- I like the Yankees. Maybe I'm biased-just the way my gut feels though.

Wright stinks, so does Wells. Papelbonn and Small are both big question marks to me.

Long rant, I just think the Yanks starters are a little better. Bullpen is another story.

Believe it or not, Matt Clement was an All-Star last season, and he was a lesser pitcher only after being struck in the head with a line drive. Arroyo lead the Sox in QS. Look at Well's numbers again and tell me he was bad. He lost 1 game in Fenway. One game. Papelbon is a question as a starter, but based upon his pitching last season, he looks to be the real deal. The Red Sox have the edge in pitching, rotation and bullpen, however slight it may be.

Really? Combined, how many games has this new redsox team won with guys like Lowell, Gonzalez and Loretta? NONE. So why dont you hold off on that comment, until they prove they can get "the job done".

Yankees improved their hitting and pitching too, moreso than the Sox, who now have a lesser lineup that previous years - and that is a fact.

I didnt say you were the worst team, putting words in others mouth wont get you anywhere. But I did say the sox infield is the worst in the division. And it is. Beckett has never stayed healthy, and Schilling is an old man coming back from a serious injury. I wouldnt put alot of stock into what comes out of his mouth either.

PS: I think that you are really crazy. So I will leave you alone for now.

The worst infield is still idiocy, if for nothing else than the Devil Rays are in our division. I usually don't put a lot of stock in what Schilling says, but when the trainers say it, I believe them. The Sox may have a lesser lineup, but with the pitching and defense they have acquired, it will be a much more balanced team. And it is true that Lowell and the bunch have not won any games for the Red Sox yet, but in fact it is also true that A-Rod has not won any Championships yet either.

The worst infield is still idiocy, if for nothing else than the Devil Rays are in our division. I usually don't put a lot of stock in what Schilling says, but when the trainers say it, I believe them. The Sox may have a lesser lineup, but with the pitching and defense they have acquired, it will be a much more balanced team. And it is true that Lowell and the bunch have not won any games for the Red Sox yet, but in fact it is also true that A-Rod has not won any Championships yet either.

And, unlike you, I never said Arod "could get the job done".

Clement was an allstar, then pitched like garbage. So you think you're getting the allstar this season for the entire year? yawn

If Papelbon is "the real deal" based on last season, than so is Chien Meng Wang and Shawn Chacon. And if Wang and Chacon produce like they did for the Yankees last year for the entire season in 2006, the Yankees easily win the division by 7+ games.

Wells was a 15 game winner last year and is a notorious big game pitcher.

Sox will pay Mark Loretta, Alex Gonzalez, Coco Crisp and Beckett an estimated $13.5 million, which is essentially what the New York Yankees will be paying Johnny Damon, who will average $13 million per year.

Say what you will, the Sox had a smart off season in that their payroll stayed the same but they got younger. This should allow them to be major players in next years Outfield FA class of Andrew Jones, Tori Hunter etc., unless Clemens signs with them for crazy money this season.

I almost respected that, but I decided I couldn't respect the opinion of someone who didn't know the difference between than and then.

Ortiz and Manny? That's all you think we have? We have arguably the league's best hitting catcher, a power 3B in a hitter friendly park, a young up and coming CF with power and speed, a RFer who when healthy can put up big numbers (like 8 RBI in one game), OB machines at 1B and 2B, and a SS meant for defense. Not to mention our rotation and bullpen are both better and younger. You go on thinking about not having to worry about the Red Sox. You shouldn't. You should keep your sights on your team and hope they don't crumble and break.

Like Max said, enjoy 3rd place. Unless the Blue Jays collapse, which will then give you a legit. shot at 2nd. ;)

Wells was a 15 game winner last year and is a notorious big game pitcher.

Sox will pay Mark Loretta, Alex Gonzalez, Coco Crisp and Beckett an estimated $13.5 million, which is essentially what the New York Yankees will be paying Johnny Damon, who will average $13 million per year.

Say what you will, the Sox had a smart off season in that their payroll stayed the same but they got younger. This should allow them to be major players in next years Outfield FA class of Andrew Jones, Tori Hunter etc., unless Clemens signs with them for crazy money this season.

So you're saying Crisp is a one year bandaid?

First, if you think spending money is going to close the gap between the 95 wins that both the Yankees and Red Sox had, you are very short sighted. Too many examples of money not equating to success on the field.

Second, looking at our respective teams and all the additions and subtractions from them, I feel my team will not be the ones worrying about finishing behind the Jays. I do not remember who the genius was that said we had the worst defensive infield, but Lowell finished 1st in the majors in fielding. Jack McKeon said Gonzalez is the best defensive SS he has ever coached and he has coached some of the best. JT Snow is one of the best fielding second basemen in the league. Plus, we added a young pitcher who has a prooven track record and solidfied our horrible bullpen and replaced a 32yo CF with a 26yo CF that actually has an arm. At the very least, the Sox have gotten younger and better defensively. The Yankees added a CF that will be an upgrade over the formerly great Bernie Williams, but has no arm. Which will be exposed in cavernous CF of Yankee stadium.

As weird as it might sound, the Yanks might be favorites and until the Sox unseat them they probably should be, but IMO the Yankees are the favorites to be the first of our dynamic two to not finish in first or second in the AL East since the 90s.

First, if you think spending money is going to close the gap between the 95 wins that both

JT Snow is one of the best fielding second basemen in the league.

Is that so? I can't say one way or the other because I've only seen him play first base. We'll see how well that prediction holds up.

Mavrik;

I don't think your Wings are going to the party this season, and if they somehow survive the West, and make the Finals, they will be exhausted. I see the Senators and Hurricanes (with Weight, excellent move) getting the best of whomever comes out of the West.

Mavrik;

I don't think your Wings are going to the party this season, and if they somehow survive the West, and make the Finals, they will be exhausted. I see the Senators and Hurricanes (with Weight, excellent move) getting the best of whomever comes out of the West.

This reminds me. I wish we had a hockey forum here! :)

Actually, after the break last year, he could not hit anyone. I think his avg was in the .240 range, with a low OBP and little in the way of slugging.

Wrong. .276 in June, .278 in July, .280 in august. He didn't have a great september but combine Sept with the numbers before the break (not sure when it was) and you don't get .240. Not even close. Plus he was battling injuries, which he has overcome. And before the break last season Giambi couldn't hit for anything, he had a good July and then went back to hitting awful. Guess he needs the juice.

Is that so? I can't say one way or the other because I've only seen him play first base. We'll see how well that prediction holds up.

Mea culpa. I make mistakes on ocassions. It happens.

He is a good 1B though.

Archived