Jets signed WR Vyncint Smith off Texans' practice squad

C Mart

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

These type of signings are basically lottery tickets.  Unlikely they hit huge, but ya never know.

That said, if I'm buying a "lottery ticket". 6'3" with a near 40 inch vertical and sub 4.4 speed are the ones I don't mind buying.

isn't that what mccags did with robbie anderson?  throw multiple guys with good speed out there, throw in herndon soon and maybe that can loosen up the defenses to run it a bit.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

And everyone wonders why we can't move the ball, lmao!

We can’t move the ball because of the line. No time to pass deep or even short for that matter. And bell has no we’re to run. This ol needs to get there sh!t together. Mine as well just start the back ups atleast we will have a excuse for them miss blocks getting blown up . Because ya know there back ups. Hell now that I think about both lines suck offensive and defense ol cant block dline has no push. Can’t win many games with no time to throw and given the other team all day to throw

When did South Carolina become USC?  The articles posted above call South Carolina USC (Smith's pro-day was at USC) and Southern California USC (Smith is competing with Mitchell another UDFA from USC).  It's confusing.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Does this mean they’re actually planning on throwing the ball down field?

Maybe, but maybe not.  First, by having two deep threats, they may be able to utilize one.  Teams can't roll safety help, which is super easy when you know there will be very limited time to throw.

What I liked was when I read this above: 

Used as catch-and-run option. Juicy with ability to split defenders and hit the chunk play on slants. Has wiggle to make first responders miss after the catch.

Hopefully he do some damage after the catch on some shorter routes too. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not true in the slightest. Burnett is NOT a slot receiver. He is a smaller outside receiver. Not a slot. Not his skill set.

Where do you get the all caps from?  I can see thinking he can play outside, but he played slot for the Jets last year over the last 5.  He played slot in camp and starting losing time when Dortch looked good.  He is 4th on their slot list behind Crowder, Berrios and Dortch. 

When he came out, he was considered by most of the draft guys to be a slot only option.  Zierlein at NFL.com called him "a standard issue slot receiver."  PFF charted him in college and all his TDs came from the slot, except one.   One of the dudes from thedraftnetwork.com said NFL teams looked at him as a small, slow, light and injury-prone slot receiver.  He may be able to play outside, but it seems your perception is in the minority.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Not true in the slightest. Burnett is NOT a slot receiver. He is a smaller outside receiver. Not a slot. Not his skill set.

if you look at how he was played at USC and last year, I agree...   not slot.

sometime ag this PS they had him listed on the depth chart in teh slot...   maybe they wanted to try to convert him and it didnt work.  he is slighty built...  not many his size on teh outside in todays NFL and he hasnt been picked up.

Just now, jetstream23 said:

We're using a 3rd string QB behind a bad offensive line and expecting him to complete passes to a Bottom 10 WR group and win games.

And we've got people around here thinking Mike McCarthy would be winning games with this. :blink:

yup the play calling wasnt CREATIVE enough? ( at least a few yesterday) So we're doing dubble reverses and flea flickers and statue of liberty and halfback options??

the OL is turds blowing assigments.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

When did South Carolina become USC?  The articles posted above call South Carolina USC (Smith's pro-day was at USC) and Southern California USC (Smith is competing with Mitchell another UDFA from USC).  It's confusing.

I believe they left out the other U.  Should read USuC.  At least that’s what they taught us in Clemson.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Aaron Wilson @AaronWilson_NFL

Jets signing WR Vyncint Smith off Texans' practice squad, Tyron Johnson expected to replace him 

Vyncint Smith  joins Jets active roster, per NFL sources, after displaying speed and big play ability as a rookie with Texans, including TD against Eagles

The Texans wanted to keep Smith, per sources, but the opportunity with the Jets was a good one given the injuries they've endured at wide receiver.

This must be because they don't  expect Thomas to be ready after the Bye 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

They should have kept Fales and cut Falk.

Why? Falk has had one pretty solid game, and one pretty poor game - on the road, against the SB champions, with a team decimated by injuries and suspensions.

Falk can be a solid backup for Sam going forward.

1 minute ago, mrcoops said:

Why? Falk has had one pretty solid game, and one pretty poor game - on the road, against the SB champions, with a team decimated by injuries and suspensions.

Weak arm 98 yards passing yesterday better QB's on the street. 

Not falling for the feel good good guy story anymore. 

Been there done that. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My GF's niece goes to South Carolina and they are constantly calling it USC and I keep correcting them.

They don't get it.  

10 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Because it been 50 years man ;)

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I believe they left out the other U.  Should read USuC.  At least that’s what they taught us in Clemson.  

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

My GF's niece goes to South Carolina and they are constantly calling it USC and I keep correcting them.

They don't get it.  

I thought we were supposed to call them cocks. 

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

David Fales was the guy cut to open the roster spot.

Looks like the Jets are fairly confident that Darnold will be back healthy after the bye.

I believe its a given.  If they thought it would not happen then they would kept Fales to stay around to attend meetings just in case.  2 QBs are really needed in the starting 46 no matter how bad they are.  The wild cat hopefully has gone for good burn those pages please.

6 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No I think Gase is pissed at the lousy routes the WRs are running.

if the coach has been coaching this group for the off and preseason and they are still having issues how do you think he is going to take a raw receiver and show him how to run routes?