Jets signed WR Vyncint Smith off Texans' practice squad

C Mart

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

David Fales was the guy cut to open the roster spot.

Looks like the Jets are fairly confident that Darnold will be back healthy after the bye.

Doubt Fales won’t be available should Darnold not be ready. 

This gets a WR they liked and needed on the roster

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This must be because they don't  expect Thomas to be ready after the Bye 

Possibly but they still need big WRs w/speed that can play on the outside. 

At this point in his career I don’t think speed falls into Thomas game? 

14 hours ago, rammagen said:

if the coach has been coaching this group for the off and preseason and they are still having issues how do you think he is going to take a raw receiver and show him how to run routes?

Who on the team is raw? WTF are you talking about... Hines Ward is coaching the WRs... 

5 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Who on the team is raw? WTF are you talking about... Hines Ward is coaching the WRs... 

reading is everything...you glossed over the quote and did try to read into what I was saying..... the receiver is a raw as far as skills. And this is Hines Ward first job does not mean he is bad as coach  but just food for thought

• Thumb Down 1

28 minutes ago, rammagen said:

reading is everything...you glossed over the quote and did tried to read into what I was saying the receiver is a raw as far as skills. And this is Hines Ward first job does not mean he is bad as coach  but just food for thought

I read the quote and now re-read the quote and still stand by what I said... 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Perfect WR 

Size 6' 1" - 6" 3" 

Excellent route runner

Speed 

Can seperate

Great hands 

Physical strength will go up and battle for the ball 

False. The perfect WR is 7’ 300lb. Acceleration of a cheetah. Agility of a jack rabbit. Leaping ability of a white tailed deer. And hands like Spider-Man.  Good ole possession burner. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

So if they have a gentleman’s agreement with fales that they will bring him back if darnold isn’t ready Next Wednesday they will have to waive someone that may have seen the game plan for philly?

this all really just screams out that they are going to rush Darnold back and put him behind the 3 stooges 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I read the quote and now re-read the quote and still stand by what I said... 

this is what I wrote so understanding on your part is flawed.... because it is pretty clear what I wrote and the intentions even better just ignore me as I am going to ignore you because if you cant understand the the below and just want to argue I am not into that.  It seems that you are reluctant to accept anyone else's opinion and you are trying to start an argument

What I wrote.....clearly talking about the issue with the coach coaching and the raw receiver how you can take that any other way is beyond me unless you are trying to start a argument

if the coach has been coaching this group for the off and preseason and they are still having issues how do you think he is going to take a raw receiver and show him how to run routes?

15 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Darnold can. What was the excuse week 1? Or last year in Miami? I’m not confident we’ve already seen who Gase is.

You do realize that he had mono?  Not only did he have the symptoms; tiredness, lethargy, sore throat, muscle and body aches, foggy head etc but we were playing the NFLs number two D.

i would like to see who Gase is with an entire team, including our QB.  Because after all is said and done we should have had 20 points in that game and a win going away.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize that he had mono?  Not only did he have the symptoms; tiredness, lethargy, sore throat, muscle and body aches, foggy head etc but we were playing the NFLs number two D.

i would like to see who Gase is with an entire team, including our QB.  Because after all is said and done we should have had 20 points in that game and a win going away.

I agree. I’d like to see that too. But assuming the play calling was scaled back due to mono very well may be wishful thinking. He’s ran the same offense  everywhere he’s gone.

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2019 at 1:14 PM, shuler82 said:

I agree. I’d like to see that too. But assuming the play calling was scaled back due to mono very well may be wishful thinking. He’s ran the same offense  everywhere he’s gone.

Unfortunately he had similar circumstances in Miami.

He did lead a record setting O in Denver.  PM was on the downside and had his all time best season.  Setting records for PM and the NFL.  So who knows

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2019 at 12:20 PM, C Mart said:

6'3" 4.40  40

By Lance Zierlein  NFL Analyst

Draft Projection  Rounds 6-7

NFL Comparison  Laurent Robinson

Overview

Traits-based prospect with outstanding combination of size, speed, and explosiveness to make a team, but lacking in the fundamentals to contribute early on. Smith should be able to improve his route-work quickly, but improving ball skills and instincts will be a more difficult challenge for whoever takes him on the third day of the draft. Smith's traits could lead him to a role of field-stretcher with underneath routes to complement that role. He's a better athlete than receiver at this point and could take a couple of years to develop.

Strengths

Impressive combination of size, speed, and explosive traits. Ran a 4.36 forty with a 39.5-inch vertical leap at his pro day. Feet are light and bouncy when side-stepping press and accelerating up the field

Timed speed matches tape speed with ability to climb past cornerbacks quickly. Showed ability to create separation and long touchdown opportunities with deep speed. Used as catch-and-run option. Juicy with ability to split defenders and hit the chunk play on slants. Has wiggle to make first responders miss after the catch. Works for positioning and sustain when asked to run block

Weaknesses

Excessive choppy steps to get into his breaks gives away route intentions. Doesn't always impose his speed on cornerback and force the early retreat for comeback routes. Will need time to fine-tune his routes and acclimate to additional branches on the route tree. Not a natural hands catcher and allows throws to crowd his frame. Ball skills are below average. Takes too long to adjust to off-target deep throws when tracking. Needs to improve win percentage on contested catches down the field

Sources Tell Us

"You take him and develop him. Hell, I just watched a couple of plays on him today because (the College Director of Scouting) asked me to. I can work with fast and athletic. I can't work with slow and stiff." - NFC WR coach

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/vyncint-smith?id=3219534d-4978-1011-ecc9-47e1c07540e5&akmobile=android&akcarrier=other

Scouts like Smith’s 6-foot-3 frame and speed, which he has been working on at Velocity in Charlotte. At USC's Pro Day, he also displayed his 39.5-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-10 broad jump. The biggest question mark on Smith is the competition level he went up against in college, but he is eager to prove he belongs in the NFL.

"My ceiling is really high. I'm not raw but I'm not polished. Me being from a small school, I have a lot more to learn to take my game to the next level."

Smith got his start in the sport playing flag football in the sixth grade on a military base in Leavenworth, Kan., where his dad was stationed. Vernon Smith was a drill sergeant, and the family moved frequently. Vyncint was born in Germany and lived in Kansas, Georgia and two stints in South Carolina growing up.

Smith didn’t get a ton of interest coming out of high school. His dream was to play at South Carolina, which wanted him as a walk-on. He had interest from FCS programs and offers from Division II schools Tusculum and Limestone, which was starting a program.

“Sometimes they overlook guys. But it got him motivated,” Summers said. “He is going to prove to people he could go make it at a smaller school. That is what is driving him.”

Smith said getting passed over by bigger schools was motivation for him, and he proved that during his time at Limestone.

Smith got on the field right away for the Saints and played his final two seasons under Mike Furrey, who played in the NFL for three teams. He credits Furrey, who became the receivers coach for the Bears in January, with helping his development on the field and also reading various coverages.

At Limestone, he caught 153 passes for 2,371 yards and 11 TDs. This season, he set career highs in receptions (49) and yards (849) and was a second-team all-conference selection.

“He wanted us to be like any Division I receiver out there and challenged us,” Smith said. “He helped me tremendously, breaking down film and defenses. He went through all the defenses so we would see those coverages in the game we would be able to change our routes out there.

“That definitely impresses the scouts when I can explain all that in a play.”

Let me just say that I love the signing. I think that he found himself the odd man out between an incredible trio of wideouts. Tough luck on him for that. But, he could actually be perfect for us and my logic is this. From what I have been reading about the guy, he has always been somewhat of an underdog. Yet, here he is. He is incredibly dangerous when teams bring up the 8 men fronts, he is too fast to ignore or take a chance with 1 on 1s.

If Darnold can extend a play (given the sorry state of our line) chances are that Smith will be running somewhere downfield.

Smith in my opinion, can be a fascinating story to follow. 

May be wishful thinking on my part, yet I get good vibes on this one. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...