Sign in to follow this  
UnitedWhofans

Observations

This is a very fair assessment, and I actually agree with everything.

I have nothing to add, and nothing to argue either haha

By: Tyler Greenawalt | 4 hours ago

Adam Gase has already made a lot of questionable decisions this season, but his wide receiver gameplan against the Patriots was one of the strangest. 

With Demaryius Thomas out with a hamstring injury and Quincy Enunwa on injured reserve, Gase only played four wide receivers – Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, Josh Bellamy and Braxton Berrios. Of those four, only Anderson, Crowder and Berrios saw offensive snaps. To top it all off, slot receiver Jamison Crowder played 71 percent of his snaps on the outside, according to ESPN’s Rich Cimini. Crowder only played 12 of 42 offensive snaps out of his more comfortable position in the slot.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Adam Gase has already made a lot of questionable decisions this season, but his wide receiver gameplan against the Patriots was one of the strangest. 

With Demaryius Thomas out with a hamstring injury and Quincy Enunwa on injured reserve, Gase only played four wide receivers – Robby Anderson, Jamison Crowder, Josh Bellamy and Braxton Berrios. Of those four, only Anderson, Crowder and Berrios saw offensive snaps. To top it all off, slot receiver Jamison Crowder played 71 percent of his snaps on the outside, according to ESPN’s Rich Cimini. Crowder only played 12 of 42 offensive snaps out of his more comfortable position in the slot.

WOW did they maybe use Ty Montgomery at WR on Sunday? 

• Upvote 1

The ownership itself isn't changing but I think CJ is in charge now and going forward he will be better than Woody. He might make a few mistakes learning on the fly but will be much better.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don’t think the Johnsons or Douglas thought there would be anyway Gase would be fired after or during this season.

But the offense has been historically bad. If that continues with Darnold back, how do you justify bringing him back when his primary reason for his hire was to develop Darnold and win games.

You can get away with doing just one of those after 1 season. But not both. Not when its THIS BAD.

33 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

WOW did they maybe use Ty Montgomery at WR on Sunday? 

They didn't throw the ball downfield , so they didn't need 4 WR's . 

• Upvote 1

It's impossible to tell how Gase helped build the on the team.   By all accounts, he wanted a trade down in the 1st, which Macc could not/did not do.   Obviously no 2nd rounder, and who knows who pulled the trigger on that 3rd round pick.

It's a team bereft of talent, but if they go 1-15, 2-14, I could see Gase being fired.   If they turn it around, and go 6-10, he'll probably be back.

The other question is, who is out there that would want the job?

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, peebag said:

This was never a playoff team.  It was about building up the talent level and getting Sam reps.

They've failed miserably so far.

Hate to agree but I do. Hopefully we'll turn it around some against Philly when Sam is back.

• Upvote 1

Maybe they should take a stab at Crabtree... I know he is past his prime but at least they could have a big possession WR on the outside to allow crowder to stay in the slot and give RA at least someone with a pulse opposite of him... maybe Vycent can be that guy but I thought maybe a veteran that understands how to run clean routes is more important.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If you want to be an optimist and maintain hope here's what I'd say....Darnold returning, Herndon returning and the OLine getting its sh!t together truly could launch the offense.  Mosely and QW returning should make a defense that's actually been decent despite its injuries, elevate again and look as it did in the 1st half of Week 1.  I really do think brighter days are ahead, if only because they can't be much darker.

The good news about Gase - Once Darnold, Herndon, etc. are back on the field we'll be able to have an honest conversation about how bad Gase is or whether he's simply been hamstrung by the injuries and OLine woes.

I totally agree on this.

Has the play calling been great, no.  However, this is a team with the #1 WR out, #1 TE out, #1 and #2 QB out, and a bottom 5 O line.  Meanwhile they played the #2 overall defense last year, and the Pats defense which has been shutting everyone out.   What do people honestly expect?   Get the QB and tight end back, and see what can be done.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, peebag said:

This was never a playoff team.  It was about building up the talent level and getting Sam reps.

The guy who was supposed to build up the talent was fired, after the draft.   That in itself is bizarre.

It's no one's fault Sam got freaking mono.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, peebag said:

this is the biggest let down of the season

not that they are 0-3

but that Sam isn't developing 

in fact we are all monitoring his spleen

I feel like ronnie lott would have cut his spleen out by now 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Actions have consequences 

it's Sam's fault, Rob,

hes another USC QB who thinks he's back at USC 

and if you don't believe that, go get mono, and tell your wife it was no one's fault. Tell her it was a drinking glass

see what she says 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 2

50 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

He did explain it to a point in the postgame. Crowder is playing wide BC Thomas is not ready and Enuwa is out. Also he did not say but could have said is the OL is terrible and the QB is practice squad. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Jets fans have to feel really frustrated because outside of Gase and the playcalling, there really is nobody around to blame and yell at. Macc is gone so you can't yell at him. Douglas just got here. The owners aren't changing so there's no use to yell at them. And the injury gods can't be reached. It's a very odd situation where Gase is the only reasonable target for the frustration of the fans (some of it well earned however). 

2. Joe Douglas should, of course, be looking into selling off pieces in order to get draft picks. How he can do with that is beyond anyone's guess

3. I don't think Gase gets fired during the year, but if they keep going like this they may have no choice. Douglas is here for 6 years (there's a reason he held out for that length BTW. He knew this would take a while). So he really isn't tethered to anybody there. 

4. The NFL just seems blah this year. There seem to be more 3-0 teams than usual. It's starting to look like MLB. where there is a greater disparity between teams and the haves and have nots.

5. I loved that Gregg Williams hire from the beginning and so far, with an undermanned crew, he has done a solid job.

I think JD needs to sell off pieces but for young talent... not for picks.  I know everyone is in love with picks around here but the 4th rounder you get for player X is not worth the sell off... If you are talking 1st and 2nd rounders... then I am all aboard but in reality there aren't good enough players or trade-able assets to be worth it. 

Bell, Trumaine, Mosley, Crowder, Anderson cannot be traded because of their contracts. Nor would I want to trade 3 out of the 5 anyway

Leo, Adams, are the only two that you could sell that would be worth anything, and whether you like it or not if you trade Adams there will be a mutiny on hand and then you are in serious trouble.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

A reasonable poster.... Wow, I thought they all flew away...

As I have said before I think the Defense is being underrated here. This currently as it stands is a top 10 Defense in the league. This is without Mosley, the best defensive player on the Jets, playing 2 games. This is also with the Jet's offense not being able to sustain a drive for 3 games... The defense has to be tired at the end of the games for the shear amount of minutes they are on the field. As the offense improves with Darnold and Herndon back on the field. The Defense should also get better at the end of games.

I think that goes both ways.  The defense is hurt by the lack of time of possession and the poor field position, but they are actually helped by the lack of scoring.  The Pats obviously took their foot off the gas, and it was probably before the end of the 1st quarter. 

Teams aren't trying to score points, or do much.  Once you have a lead, there is no fear of the Jets staging a comeback.  The Pats and Browns were basically killing the clock for the final 3 quarters.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Maybe they should take a stab at Crabtree... I know he is past his prime but at least they could have a big possession WR on the outside to allow crowder to stay in the slot and give RA at least someone with a pulse opposite of him... maybe Vycent can be that guy but I thought maybe a veteran that understands how to run clean routes is more important.

I wouldn't be opposed to this.  I liked Crabtree since Texas Tech, but I think he is a little bit crazy and he may be a problem to have around.  He is also a target hog and hasn't been the most efficient guy lately.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The guy who was supposed to build up the talent was fired, after the draft.   That in itself is bizarre.

Or they saw how bad he drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Butt Fumble 1

I'm not saying Gase is any good, but if there is one thing that has been consistent in this league is that the games are won and lost in the trenches, even in present day. You can't scheme your way around a horrific line that the Jets currently have. I'll pass on judging Gase until the line is adequately addressed, or if it improves as it gells. Remember that there were multiple injuries for extended periods of time during the preaseason and they haven't played as a unit for very long. 

That being said, a healthy  Darnold wins the Buffalo game despite awful line play but capitalizing on all of the turnovers

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think that goes both ways.  The defense is hurt by the lack of time of possession and the poor field position, but they are actually helped by the lack of scoring.  The Pats obviously took their foot off the gas, and it was probably before the end of the 1st quarter. 

Teams aren't trying to score points, or do much.  Once you have a lead, there is no fear of the Jets staging a comeback.  The Pats and Browns were basically killing the clock for the final 3 quarters.

I wouldn't be opposed to this.  I liked Crabtree since Texas Tech, but I think he is a little bit crazy and he may be a problem to have around.  He is also a target hog and hasn't been the most efficient guy lately.

I agree against the Pats... But you can't tell me that Browns took there foot off the gas... But again, this team looked very different with Mosley out there. They had 4 turnovers in a Half of football. 

Pats are on another level... 

4 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I'm not saying Gase is any good, but if there is one thing that has been consistent in this league is that the games are won and lost in the trenches, even in present day. You can't scheme your way around a horrific line that the Jets currently have. I'll pass on judging Gase until the line is adequately addressed, or if it improves as it gells. Remember that there were multiple injuries for extended periods of time during the preaseason and they haven't played as a unit for very long. 

That being said, a healthy  Darnold wins the Buffalo game despite awful line play but capitalizing on all of the turnovers

And Browns

33 minutes ago, chirorob said:

It's impossible to tell how Gase helped build the on the team.   By all accounts, he wanted a trade down in the 1st, which Macc could not/did not do.   Obviously no 2nd rounder, and who knows who pulled the trigger on that 3rd round pick.

It's a team bereft of talent, but if they go 1-15, 2-14, I could see Gase being fired.   If they turn it around, and go 6-10, he'll probably be back.

The other question is, who is out there that would want the job?

A few posters have mentioned this guy about 3,384 times....

usa_today_11546410.0.thumb.jpg.25931c8b4829488c518f90451f5ded6a.jpg

For the record, I still don't want him.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think JD needs to sell off pieces but for young talent... not for picks.  I know everyone is in love with picks around here but the 4th rounder you get for player X is not worth the sell off... If you are talking 1st and 2nd rounders... then I am all aboard but in reality there aren't good enough players or trade-able assets to be worth it. 

Bell, Trumaine, Mosley, Crowder, Anderson cannot be traded because of their contracts. Nor would I want to trade 3 out of the 5 anyway

Leo, Adams, are the only two that you could sell that would be worth anything, and whether you like it or not if you trade Adams there will be a mutiny on hand and then you are in serious trouble.

You got to be kidding, if they trade Adams I think half of this forum would throw a victory parade. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

I think Gase has developed Bell palsy. He’s gotta know Bell is getting keyed on. How about getting Montgomery involved? The TE’s? How about a few trick plays? You can’t just Bell inside, Bell outside, Bell here, there and everywhere. I’d go to anyone but Bell the first quarter just to keep them guessing. They weren’t winning this game on personnel matchups, so why not do something unconventional? 

I think this is a reasonable post for United but still too positive.  

Douglas owned the kicker and that lost is game 1.  Kalil was a waste of cap space that could have been used next year. 

GW is doing a much better job coaching crap and benching players than Gase is.

Douglas and Gase were both dealt bad hands, but I give them a C- in managing it thus far.  Difference between 1-2 and 0-3. 

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

You got to be kidding, if they trade Adams I think half of this forum would throw a victory parade. 

Players not fans.... I know there is a huge hatred towards Adams on this Forum.... Personally I love the kid. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Players not fans.... I know there is a huge hatred towards Adams on this Forum.... Personally I love the kid. 

Me too . Listening to Francessa bash him and Bell now - the media is abysmal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

He did explain it to a point in the postgame. Crowder is playing wide BC Thomas is not ready and Enuwa is out. Also he did not say but could have said is the OL is terrible and the QB is practice squad. 

Taking a good player away from his natural position just because next man up is a question mark is bad coaching, IMHO.  Keep the QB's weapons in their rightful place and let's see if next man up on the outside surprises.  Can't be any worse then what we were seeing.  Gase is no mastermind IMHO.        

Honestly I didn’t have much skin in the game to start the year, and with Sam sick and Adam Gase’s play calling being as putrid as it’s been - I just don’t care. 

This is has Been the hardest year to get excited. None of these players are our own. We have Sam, Adams, and Anderson. The rest are just hired muscle. They’re not Jets players we’ve drafted and groomed. We haven’t watched these guys develop. 

I just can’t get excited about a team of mercs. 

• Upvote 1