Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we're talking about the Browns and Jets, of course those numbers are more important.

If we're talking about Baker Mayfield having a worse QB rating than Luke Falk while playing with guys like OBJ, Chubb, Landry, etc. it's also a pretty interesting discussion.

QB's are foremost compared by their wins. 

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

So Sanchez> Mayfield?

Based on the amount of games, absolutely. 

Sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs. Sanchez has made the playoffs, Sanchez has played in two AFCCG's. 

All Mayfield has done is play 19 games for a team that is learning that understanding how to win has nothing to do with "OBJ, Chubb, Landry" or anyone else folks like to present since Landry didnt win in Miami, OBJ didnt win in NY and Chubb is just as new as Mayfield. 

It's not like any of those dudes are Leveon Bell. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Because this is a football forum, and part of my supposed boast is based on quotes looking for my 2 cents, only to say 20 months later how Ive spoken on another teams quarterback on a Jets forum as if all of these threads are being started by Villain The Foe. Lol

I talk about a quarterback, folks talk about and quote me when it's convenient. There's a difference. 

It was more than discussion.  It has been a an 18 month commercial for Baker Mayfield.  Quite different from what you claim above. Stop distorting what you did.  Just move on, since you are a "Jets fan", that should be no trouble for you.  Especially because we all see that Mayfield is really more hype than talent thus far.

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Based on the amount of games, absolutely. 

Sanchez is 4-2 in the playoffs. Sanchez has made the playoffs, Sanchez has played in two AFCCG's. 

All Mayfield has done is play 19 games for a team that is learning that understanding how to win has nothing to do with "OBJ, Chubb, Landry" or anything else folks like to present since Landry didnt win in Miami, OBJ didnt win in NY and Chubb is just as new as Mayfield. 

It's not like any of those dudes are Leveon Bell. 

I don't think wins are the most important thing when evaluating QBs, because it's heavily team based. Sure it's important, but then it leads to some weird places where Dilfer and Sanchez have a better win% than Eli Manning, and Dan Fouts. It also makes it weird when our only HoF QB has a losing record for his career. 

And let's be honest. As bad as Baker has played so far this year, both you and I would still take him over Sanchez in the long run.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

2-3

0-4. 

Those numbers are the most important.

Nice attempt at a kick save there.  W-L are most important for sure.  But what is being discussed is Mayfield's performance, not Cleveland's W-L.  Mayfield has sucked.  That the team managed to win a couple of games doesn't hide that fact.  And the Jets W-L record is completely irrelevant to a discussion about Mayfield, so why throw that in, other than yet another attempt to divert.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we're talking about the Browns and Jets, of course those numbers are more important.

If we're talking about Baker Mayfield having a worse QB rating than Luke Falk while playing with guys like OBJ, Chubb, Landry, etc. it's also a pretty interesting discussion.

With all the talent Mayfield has around him, it is shocking to see just how bad he is with that.  Never expected it. He's too busy running his mouth than improving his play, it seems.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

QB's are foremost compared by their wins. 

LOL.  OK.  Never mind his turnovers, overthrows, underthrows, inability to stay in the pocket, and horrid decisions.  It's all W-L now, huh?  Good God.  Don't keep this up.  It's a very bad look for you.  Just bow out. before it gets even worse.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It was more than discussion.  It has been a an 18 month commercial for Baker Mayfield.  Quite different from what you claim above. Stop distorting what you did.  Just move on, since you are a "Jets fan", that should be no trouble for you.  Especially because we all see that Mayfield is really more hype than talent thus far.

I havent been speaking by myself, nor have I been participating in every discussion. Example. that "Baker Big Mouth" thread I havent commented in since August, yet it's a main-stay on the top page here. How's that happening? 

Im not distorting anything, I hear how I've made a big commercial for Mayfield, yet any discussion over the past year I can show how I was either quoted, spoken on or the thread itself was revolving around Baker. Matter of fact, none of these threads that we're speaking in I even made. 

Do me a favor, prove it. I hear that I've spoken non-stop about Baker Mayfield "all over" this forum for 18 months, which leads me to believe that im constantly bringing up Mayfield within topics that doesnt involve him. 

Lets do this. How about you quote a few mods, right. And if you can find this "non-stop" activity, of me essentially troling the boards with Mayfield commercials, I will have no problem letting the Mods delete my account and block my IP Address. 

The irony of this entire discussion, we're holding it in a "Baker specific" thread, not created by me, but a guy who took the opportunity to talk sh*t about the guy. 

Cool story bro. Anytime you want me off this board, find that 18 months worth of commercials and I will gladlly hang it up here on Jetnation. 

If you cant find it, then go on your way and keep it about the players and not me. 

You up to prove your point or what? 

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL.  OK.  Never mind his turnovers, overthrows, underthrows, inability to stay in the pocket, and horrid decisions.  It's all W-L now, huh?  Good God.  Don't keep this up.  It's a very bad look for you.  Just bow out. before it gets even worse.

We'll pick this discussion up when you take the time out to support that 18 month commercial remark you just made. 

When you cant support it, then we'll get back to talking football. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

This was made public by Richard Sherman talking about it after the game. He stated how Baker hasnt done anything in this league, which is true. And how he needs to have respect for the game, which to a degree is also true. However, Richard comes from the same cloth, something Richard decided not to say anything about. Players tend to shake hands both before and after games.

I remember back when he made Tom Brady into a meme with that "You mad bro"? After a game when he and that Seattle team was unknown with a rookie QB. His brashness also put targets on him to the point that Trent Williams punched him in his face in 2013, again...after a game. And there were many Sherman-haters that where glad that Sherman got punched in the face given all his talk. Also in 2013 he went on First take and basically told Skip Bayless that he's "Better at life than you", on national television. 

Mayfield isnt doing anything that Richard hasnt done in this league. So, though Richard is making points, he should be the last person to speak on points he himself didnt observe before he became that cagey veteran. 

With that said, Baker Mayfield should have shake'd hands before the game. That's how things are done. 

Video does show that Baker Mayfield did in fact shake hands before pre-game and Richard Sherman essentially lied to the press afterwards.

Maybe Richard Sherman's new name should be "Richard Smollett". 

27 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Hahaha... I'm a BIG Baker fan but last night was pretty bad... I think he'll straighten it out & end up with a pretty decent season.

Yeah, that was beyond terrible. It happens. Though the NFL threw everything but the kitchen sink at a team that 1.5 years ago couldnt even win a football game. 

To schedule them the Rams, 49er's Patriots, Ravens, Seahawks and Titans within the first half of the season, while playing like 3 or 4 primetime games isnt something you do when the team was below .500 the year prior. 

Such a complete set up for failure for a team that has won 10 games total in 3 seasons. 

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I don't think wins are the most important thing when evaluating QBs, because it's heavily team based. Sure it's important, but then it leads to some weird places where Dilfer and Sanchez have a better win% than Eli Manning, and Dan Fouts. It also makes it weird when our only HoF QB has a losing record for his career. 

And let's be honest. As bad as Baker has played so far this year, both you and I would still take him over Sanchez in the long run.

That's your opinion, however, that's not how the overall view of QB's are done. 

We'd both take Baker over Sanchez int he long run, but that doesnt change the fact that if Baker never played another down, Sanchez was clearly better. 

In otherwords, taking someone over another, and proving to be better are two different things. 

Baker has proven nothing on the pro level, not even to the point of being compared to or better than Mark Sanchez. 

We can take Mayfield yet at the same time understand that aspect. 

Do me a favor, proof it. I hear that I've spoken non-stop about Baker Mayfield "all over" this forum, which leads me to believe that im constantly bringing up Mayfield within topics that doesnt involve him. 

Lets do this. How about you quote a few mods, right. And if you can find this "non-stop" activity, of me essentially troling the boards with Mayfield commercials, I will have no problem letting the Mods delete my account and block my IP Address. 

The irony of this entire discussion, we're holding it in a "Baker specific" thread, not created by me, but a guy who took the opportunity to talk sh*t about the guy. 

Cool story bro. Anytime you want me off this board, find that 18 months worth of commercials and I will gladlly hang it up here on Jetnation. 

If you cant find it, then go on your way and keep it out about the players and not me. 

You up to prove your point or what? 

Proof: 

For most of 2019, your avatar was Baker Mayfield.  There is no stronger way to promote, market, or endorse something on a message board than to put it in your avatar or sig.   You were a walking commercial for Baker Mayfield.  

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sherman actually managed to make himself look sillier than Baker. And Mike Silver may have passed La Canfora and Peter King on the national beat writer boob list.

Especially given Sherman's past himself. I wonder if all of the people who negatively criticized Baker for this, wrote and spread articles, went in front of the camera's when hosting shows to blast him for this will now double back and criticize Sherman for lying like that. 

Or will it be okay for that to just be allowed to sit like that, just like with the Daniel Jones thing. 

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Proof: 

For most of 2019, your avatar was Baker Mayfield.  There is no stronger way to promote, market, or endorse something on a message board than to put it in your avatar or sig.   You were a walking commercial for Baker Mayfield.  

My avatar? For realz? 

My avatar has sported Baker Mayfield since BEFORE 2019, back when he was a Sooner. 

But if this is your proof, I have no problem with any Mod who believes that you've provided such proof to ban my account and block my IP address, because if this is the level of stupidity that we're going with, then I need to spend my time elsewhere. 

We'll see if any Mod/owner agrees with your assessment since I've pretty much given the okay so dead the account if this is deemed as actual proof. 

If I remain on this site though, then that should show you what level of proof that really was, and how you should just accept whatever football related avatar anyone has on a football forum. 

We'll pick this discussion up when you take the time out to support that 18 month commercial remark you just made. 

When you cant support it, then we'll get back to talking football. 

for pete's sake.... your f'ing avatar was Baker. Probabbly your sig too.   Now that he sucks pretty bad, you are trying to deny it.   Just shut up already.  You are fooling no one.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

for pete's sake.... your f'ing avatar was Baker. Probabbly your sig too.   Now that he sucks pretty bad, you are trying to deny it.   Just shut up already.  You are fooling no one.

My account still works, so there's that. 

How about going to any of the other threads instead of telling someone to shut up in a thread that you're not f'ing interested in. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

My account still works, so there's that. 

How about going to all of the other threads instead of telling someone to shut up in a thread that you're not f'ing interested in. 

Because you are being dishonest, IMO.  You were literally a messageboard billboard for Baker and now tht he is awful you are trying to deny it.  Lolza

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And the fact that I can do WTF I want with my avatar. 

There's that too. 

I fervently believe that you should have that freedom. It's yours to take advantage of.  If you want to make it a commercial for an opposing QB, then you are a troll.  Trolls are allowed here.

I'm just amazed that you are in abject denial of your promotion of Mayfield on a Jets message board.  Really?  Who in the world do you think you are fooling?

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I fervently believe that you should have that freedom. 

Good. So, lets ignore everything else after that and leave it be. 

Do you have anything to say regarding the thread and it's title? If not then lets stop talking, because im not interested in talking to you about what I can and cant do with my avatar. 

I havent broken any rules and for the most part I stay out of other threads. Stop killin my vibe bro.