Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Garbage time playing against quarters preven made his stats look better than they were

Baker Mayfield sucks

On 12/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Im waiting @Philc1

3 years of this sort of constant rhetoric from me shouldn't be hard to find, right? 

Or are you a liar who's silent when he's wrong, while sitting in the QW thread??? 

lol. 

On 12/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, That's what I thought. A liar.

A Half hour later with my account on the line, and you cant come up with 1 comment from this alleged 3 years worth of diatribes from me????????

You're just a salty individual who projects what he does onto others in order to be comfortable spewing his diatribes about Baker Mayfield and those who like him.

You will be ignored forever by me in this thread. Your thoughts hold no sort of weight given your actions. You're just a hater.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Kitchens isnt a HC in this league. With that said, Baker's statline isnt really bad, and he probably had about 40-50 yards worth of dropped passes in this game as well.

His 250 2TD 1INT performance could have been better for sure. 

He got about 80 yards back on the last drive checking down to Hunt. Also threw a pick to Peterson that didn’t count bc PP stepped out of bounds. 

• Upvote 1

Sam and Baker are pretty similar right now. Baker is more confident and the better overall player, but here is what I see:
When the first read is open on a quick hitting pass or rollout both players are effective.
Any sort of 5 step drop where they have to go through their progression they are an absolute mess. Both players leave the pocket way too early and can’t read simple coverages. 

I’m sorry. But this very wrong about Sam.

Sam goes through his progressions very well and has a lot of patience in the pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

24:25:31
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SummerofSam14 said:

He got about 80 yards back on the last drive checking down to Hunt. Also threw a pick to Peterson that didn’t count bc PP stepped out of bounds. 

Then it wasnt a pick was it? 

Sam had a similar play against the  Dolphins when a Fins player went for the INT on a 3 yard pass play instead of the tackle and the receiver ran for like 60 yards on what should have been a 3 yard play. That was also a game where he threw a terrible pick. 

Stats and performance are stats and performance. 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Villain’s meltdown continues 

On 12/4/2019 at 6:03 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Again, you equate being wrong about a player and subsequently disappearing with rooting for a Jets draft pick when you were making these assertions before he was even a Jet. 

You're not as good at lying as you are disappearing when you're wrong. 

To double down on that, You said that I was issuing nonstop diatribes "against you all", over the past 3 years about how Baker Mayfield is better than Drew Brees. 

Lets put your lying arse to the test (I love doing this). How about you find me one (just one) of these many comments where I was spewing in the face of ALL OF YOU that Baker Mayfield "is better than Drew Brees". 

If you can do that, I wont even respond. I'll immediately delete my account so you all wont have to hear another day of it. 

Or are you lying again while being a no show in those QW convos? 

On 12/4/2019 at 6:11 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Im waiting @Philc1

3 years of this sort of constant rhetoric from me shouldn't be hard to find, right? 

Or are you a liar who's silent when he's wrong, while sitting in the QW thread??? 

lol. 

On 12/4/2019 at 6:32 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, That's what I thought. A liar.

A Half hour later with my account on the line, and you cant come up with 1 comment from this alleged 3 years worth of diatribes from me????????

You're just a salty individual who projects what he does onto others in order to be comfortable spewing his diatribes about Baker Mayfield and those who like him.

You will be ignored forever by me in this thread. Your thoughts hold no sort of weight given your actions. You're just a hater.

35 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And people here call Sam a bust

No I can’t think of many who do.

Darnold is what he is, to this point. We’ve all seen his numbers, and heard the excuses here people make for him. Some are excited about his potential, others aren’t, but who’s called him a bust?

As for Baker, I’ll admit I’m surprised and disappointed with the year he’s had. I'm not going to blame his OL or his HC, that’s the nonsense people like to do here with Sam, but those are just excuses to justify failure to produce.

I will just admit I’m surprised that after the season he had last year, it now looks like he’s fallen to where I think we can say he’s now at Darnold’s level. I never expected that, I really thought he’d improve on that great rookie year.

Baker has regressed, and Sam is still threading water, he’s no better, probably no worse then the day we drafted him. We’ll have to see how they both do next year I guess. I still think Mayfield will end up one of the top QBs in the league.

Rosen, I give a pass to because he can’t get on the field. He’s stuck behind Fitzpatrick, who’s clearly a better QB then him, Darnold and Mayfield at this point, which is alarming.

So far Jackso and Allen are the prizes of that’18 draft, without a doubt. Jackson is MVP quality, and Allen has made that second year jump that the other three haven’t.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

He looks terrible. The Beckham trade was also a total disaster. Neither are very good at football right now. Odell getting moved will probably be a positive for the Browns/Mayfield.

True. The team looks terrible because the coaching staff is terrible. 

To support that, folks will agree that this team has talent, yet every bit of that talent has regressed. 

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Darnold is what he is, to this point. We’ve all seen his numbers, and heard the excuses here people make for him. Some are excited about his potential, others aren’t, but who’s called him a bust?

As for Baker, I’ll admit I’m surprised and disappointed with the year he’s had. I'm not going to blame his OL or his HC, that’s the nonsense people like to do here with Sam, but those are just excuses to justify failure to produce.

I will just admit I’m surprised that after the season he had last year, it now looks like he’s fallen to where I think we can say he’s now at Darnold’s level. I never expected that, I really thought he’d improve on that great rookie year.

Baker has regressed, and Sam is still threading water, he’s no better, probably no worse then the day we drafted him. We’ll have to see how they both do next year I guess. I still think Mayfield will end up one of the top QBs in the league.

Rosen, I give a pass to because he can’t get on the field. He’s stuck behind Fitzpatrick, who’s clearly a better QB then him, Darnold and Mayfield at this point, which is alarming.

So far Jackso and Allen are the prizes of that’18 draft, without a doubt. Jackson is MVP quality, and Allen has made that second year jump that the other three haven’t.

He's a liar. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

True. The team looks terrible because the coaching staff is terrible. 

To support that, folks will agree that this team has talent, yet every bit of that talent has regressed. 

To be fair Baker wanted this head coach and we agree the team does have talent.  So yeah I agree he hadn’t been good but I don’t think that explains why Baker has been pretty bad. Look I’m not a Mayfield fan but he had a very good rookie year so it’s weird to see him fall backwards.  However maybe it was just a down year/sophomore slump we will see next year 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Fitzpatrick is clearly better than who? Is this Jay Feely?

7 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

To be fair Baker wanted this head coach and we agree the team does have talent.  So yeah I agree he hadn’t been good but I don’t think that explains why Baker has been pretty bad. Look I’m not a Mayfield fan but he had a very good rookie year so it’s weird to see him fall backwards.  However maybe it was just a down year/sophomore slump we will see next year 

That is fair. To maintain fairness, John Dorsey knows the difference between positions and knows that Baker having success under one guy means nothing when you're still bringing in a new offensive coordinator. And when you're making a guy the head coach you have to be certain that he can coach the entire team, not just be a guy that Baker likes while he was under an offensive scheme that is no longer there. 

I think we should take it as it being a down year, which is fair. I think it's a stretch to even make it sound like Baker is also the general manager of this team. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

That is fair. To maintain fairness, John Dorsey knows the difference between positions and knows that Baker having success under one guy means nothing when you're still bringing in a new offenseive coordinator and when you're making a guy the head coach you have to be certain that he can coach the entire team, not just be a guy that Baker likes while he was under an offensive scheme that is no longer there. 

I think we should take it as it being a down year, which is fair. I think it's a stretch to even make it sound like Baker is also the general manager of this team. 

Never said Baker was the “general manager” but it’s obvious he had a lot of say after his very good rookie year.  The kid obviously had talent my main issue is his personality which I don’t like.  HOWEVER can’t make excuses for his bad play either.  So yes it’s possible he had a down year but at the same time despite a lot of talent around him he had not looked good.  Can’t just blame coaching 

16 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

“No better” yet he’s better in every statistical category with nothing around him. Baker literally has the best WR/RB cast in the NFL. Baker will be 26 next season... not much room to improve.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sam is a significantly better qb than Mayfield now

?

There is no staring QB in the NFL who Darnold is SIGNIFICANTLY better then

Show me a statistical argument that backs up this nonsense.

Its as dumb and lazy an opinion as saying “Mayfield chose his HC”. You claim to be a Jets fan. If you are you would know that Darnold was consulted last offseason about potential HC hires, and voiced an opinion.

You and the others who know this never blame him for the Gase hire though, or the way he’s playing this year.  Yet you’re all quick to accuse Mayfield of “hiring Kitchens”.

Why is that?

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Never said Baker was the “general manager” but it’s obvious he had a lot of say after his very good rookie year.  The kid obviously had talent my main issue is his personality which I don’t like.  HOWEVER can’t make excuses for his bad play either.  So yes it’s possible he had a down year but at the same time despite a lot of talent around him he had not looked good.  Can’t just blame coaching 

I didnt say you said that, I said lets not make it sound as if he is. Baker Mayfield was presented with the option, Baker Mayfield didnt present that option to the team. So yes, he liked the option presented to him given past experience. In what scenario would a rookie not feel like this would be a good look for him? 

This isnt an excuse for his bad play, im just keeping it 100 about what has gone on with the team. The excuse im hearing is when coaching is criticized it's stated that "Baker wanted him". Im just clarifying that Baker was presented that option, by the GM...not the other way around. 

No caps. 

Just now, 14 in Green said:

?

There is no staring QB in the NFL who Darnold is SIGNIFICANTLY better then

Show me a statistical argument that backs up this nonsense.

Its as dumb and lazy an opinion as saying “Mayfield chose his HC”. You claim to be a Jets fan. If you are you would know that Darnold was consulted last offseason about potential HC hires, and voiced an opinion.

You and the others who know this never blame him for the Gase hire though, or the way he’s playing this year.  Yet you’re all quick to accuse Mayfield of “hiring Kitchens”.

Why is that?

More TDs, Fewer picks 3 less games... sub par weapons vs best weapons in the league. 

your “prize” of the draft Allen has the same # TDs/yards in 3 more games.

Your troll game is slipping 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt say you you said that, I said lets not make it sound as if he is. Baker Mayfield was presented with the option, Baker Mayfield didnt present that option to the team. So yes, he liked the option presented to him given past experience. In what scenario would a rookie not feel like this would be a good look for him? 

This isnt an excuse for his bad play, im just keeping it 100 about what has gone on with the team. The excuse im hearing is when coaching is criticized it's stated that "Baker wanted him". Im just clarifying that Baker was presented that option, by the GM...not the other way around. 

No caps. 

Sam was also consulted during the Jets coaching search last year, just like Baker was with the Browns. 

Why aren’t these guys blaming Darnold for the Gase hire?

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I didnt say you you said that, I said lets not make it sound as if he is. Baker Mayfield was presented with the option, Baker Mayfield didnt present that option to the team. So yes, he liked the option presented to him given past experience. In what scenario would a rookie not feel like this would be a good look for him? 

No caps. 

The bottom line is Baker has taken a step backward despite who the coach is.  The thing I always felt with Baker is what his ceiling/floor was since his a couple years older than the other QBs in that draft class?  I’m not saying he has reached it or not I don’t know.  But yeah I am surprised at his play this season considering they were really loaded with talent.  

Just now, nico002 said:

Ok so we are giving Darnold what, six more years to prove he’s the guy? 

Of course not. He decided to leave college early and the Jets decided that he was worth the risk based on perceived talent. 

If they perceived that talent was there, then it shouldnt take 6 years to reveal itself. 

That's ridiculous. 

Baker Mayfield stayed in school, at the end of the day, he's a 2nd year QB just like Sam. 

1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

Sam was also consulted during the Jets coaching search last year, just like Baker was with the Browns. 

Why aren’t these guys blaming Darnold for the Gase hire?

I was going to add that, but it would be ignored. I remember that, but it's not "Baker Mayfield". 

Another thing he did, while we all know that Gase should be fired, Sam stated that he'd be excited for Gase to remain the coach. 

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

The bottom line is Baker has taken a step backward despite who the coach is.  The thing I always felt with Baker is what his ceiling/floor was since his a couple years older than the other QBs in that draft class?  I’m not saying he has reached it or not I don’t know.  But yeah I am surprised at his play this season considering they were really loaded with talent.  

And the bottomline is, so has his coach. No one is making excuses that he took a step backward. To prove it to you...

16 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That is fair. To maintain fairness, John Dorsey knows the difference between positions and knows that Baker having success under one guy means nothing when you're still bringing in a new offensive coordinator. And when you're making a guy the head coach you have to be certain that he can coach the entire team, not just be a guy that Baker likes while he was under an offensive scheme that is no longer there. 

The problem here is, folks want to lay all the blame at his feet. Which is bullsh*t. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Of course not. He decided to leave college early and the Jets decided that he was worth the risk based on perceived talent. 

If they perceived that talent was there, then it shouldnt take 6 years to reveal itself. 

That's ridiculous. 

Baker Mayfield stayed in school, at the end of the day, he's a 2nd year QB just like Sam. 

That’s nonsense... a player either needs X years to develop or they don’t. What’s your number? 

12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Ok so we are giving Darnold what, six more years to prove he’s the guy? 

He might need them... and that not a knock on him alone, but the entire organization.

13 minutes ago, nico002 said:

More TDs, Fewer picks 3 less games... sub par weapons vs best weapons in the league. 

your “prize” of the draft Allen has the same # TDs/yards in 3 more games.

Your troll game is slipping 

Add in Allen’s run yardage, he’s much more productive then Sam and Baker this year.

As for Mayfield/ Darnold I said Mayfield is now Darnold’s level. He Was significantly better last year, this season they’ve both been bad.

Over their short two year careers however, Mayfield has better numbers.

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's ridiculous. 

That’s Fair.  Look it’s no secret I’m a Sam fan BUT I agree last year Baker was superior than Sam.  This year is more even although it is fair to say Sam still doesn’t have much support other than Robby and Crowder.  However I have no idea what the future holds for both.  If both are good that’s great because as Jet fans that means we are probably a perennial playoff contender(unless they fail to give him support).  However Like I said Baker obviously has talent as we saw last year.  I question his ceiling but maybe he bounces back next year and this was just a sophomore slump.  We shall see 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And the bottomline is, so has his coach. No one is making excuses that he took a step backward. To prove it to you...

The problem here is, folks want to lay all the blame at his feet. Which is bullsh*t. 

When did I blame Baker for everything?  I simply said he has taking a step backward which we both agreed on...