Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, Baker has had 3 consecutive bad weeks.  Isn't it possible that, with a year of tape and an offseason to re-calibrate, the league has "caught up" to Mayfield?  

It'll be up to Baker to make adjustments/improvements, and perhaps he will.  But it's silly not to take new information into account when evaluating a player.  

true but it’s almost like these analysts look to cement the most recent success as the new norm and that’s the bigger issue.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

true but it’s almost like these analysts look to cement the most recent success as the new norm and that’s the bigger issue.

Of course.  It's all about "What have you done for me lately."  But if this sh*tty season continues for Mayfield it'll become the new normal, and rightly so.  2018 will look like a fluke.

It's not like Pat Mahomes is out there having a sophomore slump (or "junior slump", if you count his 1 game in 2017 as his rookie season).  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, Baker has had 3 consecutive bad weeks.  Isn't it possible that, with a year of tape and an offseason to re-calibrate, the league has "caught up" to Mayfield?  

It'll be up to Baker to make adjustments/improvements, and perhaps he will.  But it's silly not to take new information into account when evaluating a player.  

True. 

Ok you are right, maybe he sucks. Lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

True. 

Ok you are right, maybe he sucks. Lol

The truth is somewhere in the middle.  He took the league by storm in '18 as a QB who came in midseason.  In '19 the league is adjusting to his tendencies.  He could still very well be a top 10 QB in this league or he could end up a bust.  But he could also just end up being a "pretty good", above average QB and that would be good enough for a franchise that had a franchise QB since pretty much forever.

I think his personality will be the most important factor here, as was the big red flag for him coming out of school.  Is he tough enough to work through the adversity, or will he be little b*tch and pu$$y out when things aren't going his way?  That will be telling.  Because his talent isn't really in question here.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course.  It's all about "What have you done for me lately."  But if this sh*tty season continues for Mayfield it'll become the new normal, and rightly so.  2018 will look like a fluke.

It's not like Pat Mahomes is out there having a sophomore slump (or "junior slump", if you count his 1 game in 2017 as his rookie season).  

Agreed that if he sucks the whole year, then that’s something reasonable to say. I just can’t stand the week-by-week thing.

I’m just ready for Sam to get back and hopefully we can get rolling.

• Upvote 2

The what if around if the Jets had drafted Russell Wilson instead of Hill are interesting. Would Wilson have done any better with the wepponz available to him on this team at the time? Could Rex get away with benching Sanchez and his giant contract for Wilson? Would Wilson have performed well enough to keep Rex in his job and if so, would the team have performed better than the 8-8 and 6-10 seasons it had with Sanchez/Geno?

I think Rex would have found a way to trip over his own dick on offense short of having a QB who can act as an independent OC on the field and override Rex and his rotating cast of OCs. Wilson probably gets traded away to another team where he has better success but probably not the success he has had with Seattle.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Agreed that if he sucks the whole year, then that’s something reasonable to say. I just can’t stand the week-by-week thing.

I’m just ready for Sam to get back and hopefully we can get rolling.

What week to week thing? It's been three weeks he has not looking great. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It was reported Rex did't want Stephan Hill.. I liked Rex he was a fun guy and no he wasn't a great HC but he got the team to 2 AFCCG's and knocked the Pats out of the Playoffs at their home field.. Some people loved Mangini but he never won a playoff game, even in a Brady less year with a HOF QB.. The QB the Jets got rid of took a 1-15 team to the playoffs and won the East.. People like to say Rex won with Mangini's team something Mangini couldn't do..:roll:

I liked Rex... I hated his vaunted shut down defense always giving up chunk plays on 3rd and long and letting teams back into the game... I hated that with all the talk and a lead going into halftime of the AFCC game and they lose... Or how they almost lost multiple times in the wildcard game in Novak didn't miss 3 FGs including 2 game winners... Rex had a lot of luck with an extremely talented roster. Mangini was a great talent evaluator ... Rex was a good defensive talent evaluator... terrible at offense... and could never beat the easy teams... they always played down or up to their competition. 

Mangini for GM... Rex for DC... Dungy HC... Lincoln Riley OC.... Perfect... haha.... 

8 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

What week to week thing? It's been three weeks he has not looking great. 

You’re misunderstanding my point. This doesn’t just have to do with Baker. The sports media does this with all players(especially QB’s). It’s their job. There are storylines and narratives that need to be created in order to feed themselves revenue thru the fan’s interest. I’m really not saying anything new but that’s where we are with it in 2019, except it’s now a magnified aspect of the league with social media. I guess my point is — assessing talent on weekly basis is one thing — using words like “Bust” or “Overrated” — while working off the impulse of those three games is another.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

You’re misunderstanding my point. This doesn’t just have to do with Baker. The sports media does this with all players(especially QB’s). It’s their job. There are storylines and narratives that need to be created in order to feed themselves revenue thru the fan’s interest. I’m really not saying anything new but that’s where we are with it in 2019 except it’s a magnified aspect now with social media. I guess my point is — assessing talent on weekly basis is one thing — using words like “Bust” or “Overrated” — while working off the inpluse of those three games is another.

Your point makes sense, but it's funny calling Rex Ryan part of the "sports media".  Like calling Tom Brady a philanthropist.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your point makes sense, but it's funny calling Rex Ryan part of the "sports media".  Like calling Tom Brady a philanthropist.  

Lol well as bad as the guy is(didn’t he get kicked off ESPN??) they still choose to put him in front of the camera for this very reason. He sure can spill some ear perking one-liners.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I liked Rex... I hated his vaunted shut down defense always giving up chunk plays on 3rd and long and letting teams back into the game... I hated that with all the talk and a lead going into halftime of the AFCC game and they lose... Or how they almost lost multiple times in the wildcard game in Novak didn't miss 3 FGs including 2 game winners... Rex had a lot of luck with an extremely talented roster. Mangini was a great talent evaluator ... Rex was a good defensive talent evaluator... terrible at offense... and could never beat the easy teams... they always played down or up to their competition. 

Mangini for GM... Rex for DC... Dungy HC... Lincoln Riley OC.... Perfect... haha.... 

The Ghost was one of his great picks.. If Mangini was so great how come he's not doing that for some team in the NFL?? You completely take out Tanny in your evaluation I bet and give every good pick to Mangini and the bad ones to Tanny..LOL The best QB Rex had to work with was the Buttfumbler,Mangini had much better QB's and won nothing.. 

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Ghost was one of his great picks.. If Mangini was so great how come he's not doing that for some team in the NFL?? You completely take out Tanny in your evaluation I bet and give every good pick to Mangini and the bad ones to Tanny..LOL The best QB REx had to work with was the Buttfumbler,Mangini had much better QB's and won nothing.. 

Beggars can't be choosers.  Whatever was working in the brief Mangini era was better than anything that the Herm/Bradway, Rex/Tannenbaum/Idzik and Bowles/Macc eras provided from the perspective of a talent influx.  All we know is the following:

• The 2006 and '07 drafts are far better than any drafts we've had since.  Including when Tannenbaum was here AFTER Mangini was fired.
  • The 2008 Jets were 8-3 with the # 1 offense in the NFL prior to Brett Favre tearing his bicep.
  • The 2009 and '10 Jets were successful on the back of the talent acquired from 2006-08.  We didn't have the # 1 OL because of Rex, that's for sure.  We've failed to value the OL as a franchise from 2009-present.  

Whoever was ultimately responsible for those 2006 and '07 drafts and collection of talent brought in from 2006-08, we need a repeat of that level of success, or we're never going to be a contending franchise.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Ghost was one of his great picks.. If Mangini was so great how come he's not doing that for some team in the NFL?? You completely take out Tanny in your evaluation I bet and give every good pick to Mangini and the bad ones to Tanny..LOL The best QB Rex had to work with was the Buttfumbler,Mangini had much better QB's and won nothing.. 

I never discredited or credited Mangini with anyone in particular... I was just saying he was a great talent evaluator... He is well known for that but you don't have to believe me. Mangini wasn't a great coach and he has a cush gig at the moment so that is why he is out of the NFL.. Plus he ruffled feathers of certain owners in the league with the spygate sh*t.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Beggars can't be choosers.  Whatever was working in the brief Mangini era was better than anything that the Herm/Bradway, Rex/Tannenbaum/Idzik and Bowles/Macc eras provided from the perspective of a talent influx.  All we know is the following:

• The 2006 and '07 drafts are far better than any drafts we've had since.  Including when Tannenbaum was here AFTER Mangini was fired.
  • The 2008 Jets were 8-3 with the # 1 offense in the NFL prior to Brett Favre tearing his bicep.
  • The 2009 and '10 Jets were successful on the back of the talent acquired from 2006-08.  We didn't have the # 1 OL because of Rex, that's for sure.  We've failed to value the OL as a franchise from 2009-present.  

Whoever was ultimately responsible for those 2006 and '07 drafts and collection of talent brought in from 2006-08, we need a repeat of that level of success, or we're never going to be a contending franchise.  

With that I agree 100%..

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The truth is somewhere in the middle.  He took the league by storm in '18 as a QB who came in midseason.  In '19 the league is adjusting to his tendencies.  He could still very well be a top 10 QB in this league or he could end up a bust.  But he could also just end up being a "pretty good", above average QB and that would be good enough for a franchise that had a franchise QB since pretty much forever.

I think his personality will be the most important factor here, as was the big red flag for him coming out of school.  Is he tough enough to work through the adversity, or will he be little b*tch and pu$$y out when things aren't going his way?  That will be telling.  Because his talent isn't really in question here.  

Agree.

i was worried about Mayfield’s personality in NY when it sounded like we were going to draft him.

It will be really interesting to see how his season turns out and how he handles it

46 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why is a thread started everytime "whatever"

fixed.

Wherefore should Rex stfu?

we got dickheadds who aint never done anything even CLOSE to the NFL on the radio, on the TV talking mad schitt about any and all sports... i mean sstpehn effin A smith is the biggest blowhard to open his stoopit mouth....shoutin and blathering. 

anyway, its just one persons opinion...  i wonder what mooch and jaws think... and other ex NFL people.

after the Rose Bowl I wasnt so hot on Baker. seemed more gimmicky yards than NFL QB yards and a whole lotta running game.

it'll take a couple/few years to see whats what w. the 2018 class. Tho I think Jackson has a decent lead on all the others so far...

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

The what if around if the Jets had drafted Russell Wilson instead of Hill are interesting. Would Wilson have done any better with the wepponz available to him on this team at the time? Could Rex get away with benching Sanchez and his giant contract for Wilson? Would Wilson have performed well enough to keep Rex in his job and if so, would the team have performed better than the 8-8 and 6-10 seasons it had with Sanchez/Geno?

I think Rex would have found a way to trip over his own dick on offense short of having a QB who can act as an independent OC on the field and override Rex and his rotating cast of OCs. Wilson probably gets traded away to another team where he has better success but probably not the success he has had with Seattle.

Tyler Lockett would be Jeremy Kerley if he was on the Jets. Elite QBs make their own weaponz, not the other way around.

Watson and Mahomes  are the best out of all these young kids. Josh Allen is a beast also. Sam Arnold needs to stay healthy and throw deep passes accurately. Faker Mayfield like Jamal Adams needs to SHUT UP and let their play do the talking.

We could of had Mahomes or Watson. We selected a box safety and not even Hooker. Who most of us wanted, injured or not. He is a play maker. It's all about the passing now. Run stuffers can be drafted in later rounds.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

Watson and Mahomes  are the best out of all these young kids. Josh Allen is a beast also. Sam Arnold needs to stay healthy and throw deep passes accurately. Faker Mayfield like Jamal Adams needs to SHUT UP and let their play do the talking.

We could of had Mahomes or Watson. We selected a box safety and not even Hooker. Who most of us wanted, injured or not. He is a play maker. It's all about the passing now. Run stuffers can be drafted in later rounds.

I like Watson a lot as a player, but I worry about anyone with multiple knee surgeries.

I fear that he may not be a guy who lasts longterm.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

F'n Stephen Hill. Every time I see his name I'm reminded of the douchey Jets fans that would talk down to you like you hadn't a clue if you didn't think he was about to be a beast.

I actually thought Stephen Hill was coming along nicely until a game against the Steelers when Troy Palomalu laid him out with a vicious hit that would be a 15yd penalty in todays game.  It seemed like after that hit, Stephen was like: this football stuff aint for me.

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Rex Ryan Quarterback whisper lolol ?

He has a Mark Sanchez tattoo for **** sake.

Hey it was Rex who put in the red, yellow, green light system for the Sanchise and stated in his book how in spite of giving Mark a red light Mark was so stupid he wud still go ahead and throw a pick six.

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I wish the QB whisperer Rex cared about QB position when he was our HC. Seems to have an opinion on every young QB. Next up, Rex will start talking about sucking for Tua 

Yeah, let's make fun of Rex for being a defensive coach while listening to that other fat **** squawk about QBs.  We can forget how he ran O'Donnell out of town.  How he took the ball out of O'Donnell's hands to have rookie RB Leon Johnson throw a pass, and giving Ray Lucas his first attempts.  Both threw picks.  He thought Foley was a viable starter.  Then he was forced to start a cast-off that Lil' Bill brought in who rescued his season.  Or maybe the time that guy got hurt and he traded a draft pick for Rick ******* Mirer and bet the season on him, later to find out the guy he used as a punt gunner and WR was a better QB. That guy gets to make rules about what QB you should draft.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1