Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He might need them... and that not a knock on him, but the organization.

Add in Allen’s run yardage, he’s much more productive then Sam and Baker this year.

As for Mayfield/ Darnold I said Mayfield is now Darnold’s level. He Was significantly better last year, this season they’ve both been bad.

Over their short two year careers however, Mayfield has better numbers.

Wrong again, Allen has about 400 more rushing yards than Darnold, that’s about 1.5 games of average passing production for Sam... 

4 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Wrong again, Allen has about 400 more rushing yards than Darnold, that’s about 1.5 games of average passing production for Sam... 

So you’re saying Darnold has had a better year then Josh Allen?

and that he’s a significantly better QB?

13 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

That’s Fair.  Look it’s no secret I’m a Sam fan BUT I agree last year Baker was superior than Sam.  This year is more even although it is fair to say Sam still doesn’t have much support other than Robby and Crowder.  However I have no idea what the future holds for both.  If both are good that’s great because as Jet fans that means we are probably a perennial playoff contender(unless they fail to give him support).  However Like I said Baker obviously has talent as we saw last year.  I question his ceiling but maybe he bounces back next year and this was just a sophomore slump.  We shall see 

Personnel doesnt matter when the coach doesnt know what to do with personnel. 

When you dont have a coach who can get the most out of their personnel then what difference does it make? 

At this very moment we have a Kliff Kingsbury thread on the 1st page and folks are realizing how Adam Gase also had Kenyon Drake, a dude who scored 4 TD's today against Kitchen's and the old Card's HC defense, yet Adam Gase could barely get 4 TD's out of Drake for an entire season. 

No matter how you want to put it, Baker with superior personnel or Sam with only Robby and Crowder (though you left out Bell), what I could guarantee you is that if Andy Reid was the coach of the Browns or Jets, Andy Reid would be getting the most out of either team....because coaches have jobs too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Personnel doesnt matter when the coach doesnt know what to do with personnel. 

When you dont have a coach who can get the most out of their personnel then what difference does it make? 

At this very moment we have a Kliff Kingsbury thread on the 1st page and folks are realizing how Adam Gase also had Kenyon Drake, a dude who scored 4 TD's today against the Kitchens and the old Card's HC defense, yet Adam gase could barely get 4 TD's out of Drake for an entire season. 

No matter how you want to put it, Baker with superior personnel or Sam with only Robby and Crowder (though you left out Bell), what I could guarantee you is that if Andy Reid was the coach of the Browns or Jets, Andy Reid would be getting the most out of either team....because coaches have jobs too. 

Yes I agree bad coaching can cause issue BUT talent is talent and the Browns have it.  The Jets don’t.  Yes Bell is here but let’s be honest he hasn’t been the Bell of years past mostly because of Gase but also possibly because he missed an entire year..he hadn’t had that same burst

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

When did I blame Baker for everything?  I simply said he has taking a step backward which we both agreed on...

That isnt all that you simply said. Example. 

28 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Never said Baker was the “general manager” but it’s obvious he had a lot of say after his very good rookie year.  The kid obviously had talent my main issue is his personality which I don’t like.  HOWEVER can’t make excuses for his bad play either.  So yes it’s possible he had a down year but at the same time despite a lot of talent around him he had not looked good.  Can’t just blame coaching 

37 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

To be fair Baker wanted this head coach and we agree the team does have talent.  So yeah I agree he hadn’t been good but I don’t think that explains why Baker has been pretty bad. Look I’m not a Mayfield fan but he had a very good rookie year so it’s weird to see him fall backwards.  However maybe it was just a down year/sophomore slump we will see next year 

It's clear what you said. On top of the fact that you said that "Cant just blame coaching" when that's not what I did, I simply gave coaching their credit of the blame. 

That wouldnt have been an issue for anyone not looking to place that blame on Mayfield. 

The coaches are at fault here as well. Just like Gase is at fault as well for the Jets. 

That's what it is. 

That isnt all that you simply said. Example. 

It's clear what you said. On top of the fact that you said that "Cant just blame coaching" when that's not what I did, I simply gave coaching their credit of the blame. 

That wouldnt have been an issue for anyone not looking to place that blame on Mayfield. 

The coaches are at fault here as well. Just like Gase is at fault as well for the Jets. 

That's what it is. 

I think you totally misunderstood what I was saying.  But whatever it’s fine 

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Yes I agree bad coaching can cause issue BUT talent is talent and the Browns have it.  The Jets don’t.  Yes Bell is here but let’s be honest he hasn’t been the Bell of years past mostly because of Gase but also possibly because he missed an entire year..he hadn’t had that same burst

You’ve been nothing but fair in this discussion. 

The only thing I’ll add to this talent discussion you and villain are having is that the Browns OL is much worse then last year. As bad as ours and other bad teams with the same issue.

Dorsey gambled and lost on a high pick, and traded a solid starter away. They’ve been a mess.

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

If you dont put talent in the right position to succeed, then that's how you squander talent. 

Go ask Minkah Fitzpatrick if that's true. A guy who was in a sh*tty situation in Miami, he gets traded to the Steelers, and suddenly he's in the DPOTY conversation. 

Just now, 14 in Green said:

You’ve been nothing but fair in this discussion. 

The only thing I’ll add to this talent discussion you and villain are having is that the Browns OL is much worse then last year. As bad as ours and other bad teams with the same issue.

Dorsey gambled and lost on a high pick, and traded a solid starter away. They’ve been a mess.

Appreciate that you are fair too.  I always try to be fair even though I’m a fan of Sam and you are more of a Baker fan which is cool.  Yes the Browns OL has not looked as good.  However I think we can agree that the Jets OL is a horror show lol

6 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think you totally misunderstood what I was saying.  But whatever it’s fine 

Well, I have those places bolded. If you want to explain what I misunderstood in those bolded sentences then go for it. But I think that I comprehend this language well enough to know what "Cant just blame coaching" means, when that's not what I did, or "Baker wanted this head coach" as if the decision was Baker's or the outcome of coaching is somehow Baker's fault. 

Im more than willing to just go with the "Baker Mayfield is having a bad sophomore season", as that's pretty damn accurate. 

The extra curricular isnt necessary. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I have those placed bolded. If you want to explain what I misunderstood in those bolded sentences then go for it. But I think that I comprehend this language well enough to know what "Cant just blame coaching" means, when that's not what I did, or "Baker wanted this head coach" as if the decision was Baker's or the outcome of coaching is somehow Baker's fault. 

Im more than willing to just go with the "Baker Mayfield is having a bad sophomore season", as that's pretty damn accurate. 

The extra curricular isnt necessary. 

14 in Green who is also a fan of Baker just said that I have been totally fair.  Which I have been

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Nope, my only point is that calling Allen the “prize” of anything while doubting Darnold is laughable. 

Where did I “doubt” Darnold tonight when comparing him to the others in the 18 class tonight?

I said he’s basically the same guy he was last year. I think that’s a fair statement.

With Allen, I said he and Jackson were the only two who took a nice step forward. LJ has taken a huge one. I think that’s fair also.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Where did I “doubt” Darnold tonight?

I said he’s basically the same guy he was last year. I think that’s a fair statement.

With Allen, I said he and Jackson were the only two who took a nice step forward. LJ has taken a huge one. I think that’s fair also.

Lol so Allen takes a giant leap to being statistically worse than Darnold and he gets the “prize” moniker? 

youre insufferable 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Lol so Allen takes a giant leap to being statistically worse than Darnold and he gets the “prize” moniker? 

youre insufferable 

Except he’s not statistically worse then Darnold is he?

unless you ignore his 8 rushing tds and higher completion pct, winning pct, etc.

..and please don’t bring up Sam having most of his in a few games. Most of Allen’s picks came very early this year.

Allen is better right now, sorry.

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Except he’s not statistically worse then Darnold is he?

unless you ignore his 8 rushing tds and higher completion pct, winning pct, etc.

..and please don’t bring up Sam having most of his in a few games. Most of Allen’s picks came very early this year.

Allen is better right now, sorry.

Nope; sorry.

btw his comp % is lower. And I’m going to pretend you didn’t use winning % as a qualifying stat. 

For this year at least Lamar and Allen deserve the praise.  They have their teams in the playoff mix.  Who knows maybe next year is the opposite and they have down years while Sam and Baker put everything together and their respective teams are in a better situation 

10 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Nope; sorry.

btw his comp % is lower. And I’m going to pretend you didn’t use winning % as a qualifying stat. 

Whatever. I’m watching a really good young QB tonight

22 years old, has a gun. Big, strong and mobile. A dual threat both passing and running. Leading his team to the playoffs, might even topple the Patriots this season.

I don’t think many people around the league are questioning any of that. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

For this year at least Lamar and Allen deserve the praise.  They have their teams in the playoff mix.  Who knows maybe next year is the opposite and they have down years while Sam and Baker put everything together and their respective teams are in a better situation 

Jackson is on a different stratosphere than Allen.... Allen is Darnold/Baker on a team with a great defense and coach. 

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Whatever. I’m watching a really good young QB tonight

22 years old, has a gun. Big, strong and mobile. TrueType a duel threat both passing and running. Leading his team to the playoffs, might even topple the Patriots this season.

I don’t think many people around the league are questioning any of that. 

Yes that is a good list of his positive attributes.  No need to mention the other side of the coin, criticism is saved for Darnold. 

26 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yes that is a good list of his positive attributes.  No need to mention the other side of the coin, criticism is saved for Darnold. 

Now you’re just being a troll. Enjoy the game tonight. Root for the Bills to win and take down the Patriots.

On 12/1/2019 at 10:02 PM, 14 in Green said:

Baker and Sam have been left in the dust by Jackson and Allen.

If it makes @Jet Nut and @Philc1 feel better to rag on Mayfield the same day Darnold put 6 points up on the board and lost to the 0-11 Bengals, God bless them. 

The thread is yours, gentlemen.

Allen has left no one in the dust.  He’s behind Sam and probably Baker. 
I never ragged on Baker other than those who love that he has a big mouth and grabbed his balls contingent think that makes a qb and went on about his unbelievable accuracy.    

16 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Allen has left no one in the dust.  He’s behind Sam and probably Baker. 
I never ragged on Baker other than those who love that he has a big mouth and grabbed his balls contingent think that makes a qb and went on about his unbelievable accuracy.    

You waited two weeks to bring this up?

I divorced the last person who pulled this kind of stunt, lol.?

26 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You waited two weeks to bring this up?

I divorced the last person who pulled this kind of stunt, lol.?

I'm in a fog these last two weeks, go easy buddy.

Actually got a notification and it went to this post, didn't even realize it was an oldie that I already read.  I'm losing it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Welp said:

The Bills defense are the main reason they’re in the playoffs. This is like saying Sanchez was a good young QB leading the Jets to the playoffs.

Allen is in a different stratosphere with regard to future potential compared to Sanchez.

The very first thing I thought and later told a friend, from Sanchez’ very first start was “he looks kind of small out there.  Not that crazy about his arm”.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1