Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

Just now, Jets723 said:

Both have been disappointing for sure.  Can I ask you a question, and I don’t mean any disrespect but I’m just curious.  What is it about Mayfield that you really really like?  It’s not that you have been down on Sam you haven’t but obviously you wanted Baker.  Again I’m not trying to be disrespectful it’s just something I’ve been wondering for awhile 

Bro. You can ask questions and not be timid. It really doesnt matter how I or anyone take it. If folks misunderstand, then clarify...like how I did earlier. ?

I really liked Baker at OU. It was clear that he and that offense carried the team since they literally had no defense. Dude got OU to 2 playoff appearances under two head coaches and the best OU defense he had during any of those playoff seasons was ranked 68th in the nation, while all other teams had top 10 defenses. 

I liked how he played during the rosebowl game, even though they lost. I think Georgia allowed less than 20ppg that season, OU put up 48 points and lost in OT. 

He's a really good player in my eyes. Unfortunately for him good QB's coming out of college usually get drafted by crappy franchises with no infrastructure. 

2 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I honestly felt pretty neutral. Thought it was a nice pickup for the Ravens but a gamble. 

So you were lukewarm on Jackson, which means that you most certainly wouldnt have taken him over Darnold or maybe Mayfield, Rosen or Allen with the 3rd pick in the draft? Given that you though that it was gamble by the Ravens to take him 32? 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Bro. You can ask questions and not be timid. It really doesnt matter how I or anyone take it. If folks misunderstand, then clarify...like how I did earlier. ?

I really liked Baker at OU. It was clear that he and that offense carried the team since they literally had no defense. Dude got OU to 2 playoff appearances under two head coaches and the best OU defense he had during any of those playoff seasons was ranked 68th in the nation, while all other teams had top 10 defenses. 

I liked how he played during the rosebowl game, even though they lost. I think Georgia allowed less than 20ppg that season, OU put up 48 points and lost in OT. 

He's a really good player in my eyes. Unfortunately for him good QB's coming out of college usually get drafted by crappy franchises with no infrastructure. 

Thanks I appreciate the honesty.  Your last sentence I think is more true for our team however.  I agree Kitchen sucks but there is a lot of talent on that team.  Our team I feel we have our QB but not much else other than Robby and Crowder

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

So you were lukewarm on Jackson, which means that you most certainly wouldnt have taken him over Darnold or maybe Mayfield, Rosen or Allen with the 3rd pick in the draft? Given that you though that it was gamble by the Ravens to take him 32? 

What does this have anything to do with the fact that he’s clearly better than Baker yet your profile picture still says king of the north? Dude is trash let it go. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What does this have anything to do with the fact that he’s clearly better than Baker yet your profile picture still says king of the north? Dude is trash let it go. 

There are backup QBs in the nfl that are better than Baker Gayfield

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Thanks I appreciate the honesty.  Your last sentence I think is more true for our team however.  I agree Kitchen sucks but there is a lot of talent on that team.  Our team I feel we have our QB but not much else other than Robby and Crowder

Im not too sure about that. This is Baker Mayfield's 2nd season, yet he's already played for 3 different head coaches and offensive coordinators. 

He was drafted by a team that went defeated for an entire season, and over a 2 year span won 1 game. There's clear discipline issues with the team. Though I think that Mason Rudolph completely antagonized and initiated that situation, top talents like Myles Garrett has shown that he needs to think about his actions. Same thing with ODB, just look at that senseless unsportsmanlike penalty by ODB in this game on the first drive of the game. They have endless penalties given the lack of discipline. Meanwhile, the Ravens had about 3 penalties that I can remember this game, and I think they were all on defense...in otherwords, they're not stalling offensive drives. 

The Browns never play clean football, and they put themselves in situations that limit their options and makes them one-dimensional. There's so many things that I can discuss that directly reflect coaching and management that kills this team before the ball is even in play, such as constant pre-snap penalties.

The Jets dont have much talent outside of Robby and Crowder, however, the difference is they dont kill drives with crazy presnap penalties and unsportsmanlike penalties in order to take away yards you just made on a big catch because you want to act out on the sideline. 

There's the game, then there's the game within the game. Robby is an under-appreciated Jets player. Crowder is a nice addition, but didnt really provide us with what we really needed. 

11 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

What does this have anything to do with the fact that he’s clearly better than Baker yet your profile picture still says king of the north? 

Nothing. Im just trying to find out how you felt about Lamar given that you said this..

On 12/17/2019 at 1:09 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

@Villain The Foe chill out, this is a JETS forum so enough with being the Baker defender. He’s just not having a good season and that’s a fact. Oh and btw your boy isn’t king of the north there’s a guy over in Baltimore named Lamar Jackson that I believe has claimed that crown. 

As well as posted an animation 

25 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

@Villain The Foe

I believe this is the real king. 

C82093ED-FBBA-4A4A-AA36-7900B2616CE8.jpeg

Yet Lamar Jackson is better than Mayfield, Darnold and every other QB in the league...by far. 

So Im wondering, what difference does my avatar make to a person who didnt even have an opinion about Lamar until I had an avatar. 

I will never understand haters. "He's unlikeable (Mayfield)". So what, you didnt even have a feeling about Lamar until 15 minutes ago.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not too sure about that. This is Baker Mayfield's 2nd season, yet he's already played for 3 different head coaches and offensive coordinators. 

He was drafted by a team that went defeated for an entire season, and over a 2 year span won 1 game. There's clear discipline issues with the team. Though I think that Mason Rudolph completely antagonized and initiated that situation, top talents like Myles Garrett has shown that he needs to think about his actions. Same thing with ODB, just look at that senseless unsportsmanlike penalty by ODB in this game on the first drive of the game. They have endless penalties given the lack of discipline. Meanwhile, the Ravens had about 3 penalties that I can remember this game, and I think they were all on defense...in otherwords, they're not stalling offensive drives. 

The Browns never play clean football, and they put themselves in situations that limit their options and makes them one-dimensional. There's so many things that I can discuss that directly reflect coaching and management that kills this team before the ball is even in play, such as constant pre-snap penalties.

The Jets dont have much talent outside of Robby and Crowder, however, the difference is they dont kill drives with crazy presnap penalties and unsportsmanlike penalties in order to take away yards you just made on a big catch because you want to act out on the sideline. 

There's the game, then there's the game within the game. Robby is an under-appreciated Jets player. Crowder is a nice addition, but didnt really provide us with what we really needed. 

No doubt OBJ has been a major disappointment and learning another playbook is another disadvantage I agree with that.  However I still expected much more out of him even though I’m not a fan.  He has made some really poor decisions that is not just the coaching.  Granted Sam has also made poor decisions I would never dispute that but I think Baker have enough protection/talent around him to do better despite the coach.  But like I said maybe it’s just a down year and he bounces back next year 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Nothing. Im just trying to find out how you felt about Lamar given that you said this..

As well as posted an animation 

Yet Lamar Jackson is better than Mayfield, Darnold and every other QB in the league...by far. 

So Im wondering, what difference does my avatar make to a person who didnt even have an opinion about Lamar until I had an avatar. 

I will never understand haters. "He's unlikeable (Mayfield)". So what, you didnt even have a feeling about Lamar until 15 minutes ago.

What difference does it make? The difference it makes is that it’s flat out wrong. And I’ve had an opinion about Lamar for a while now which is I like him because he’s a good player and humble unlike your favorite player. 

Just now, Jets723 said:

No doubt OBJ has been a major disappointment and learning another playbook is another disadvantage I agree with that.  However I still expected much more out of him even though I’m not a fan.  He has made some really poor decisions that is not just the coaching.  Granted Sam has also made poor decisions I would never dispute that but I think Baker have enough protection/talent around him to do better despite the coach.  But like I said maybe it’s just a down year and he bounces back next year 

He's made the same sort of poor decisions that any 2nd year QB playing on a dysfunctional franchise would make. 

Keep in mind, his poor play isnt of epic proportions, is a sophomore slump. It's not the first time it's happened. 

But when you make poor decisions you expect to be able to lean on an "experienced coach" It's hard to do that when 12 months ago your coach was a first time OC for about two months, or if you go back 18 months the man was a RB coach. 

You know why Lamar is so good? Because they have an OC in Greg Roman who knows and understands Lamar's skillset and have a history of success with such a skillset (SB with Kaep) and his Head coach is top 3 best in the league, and 11 year HC vet with numerous playoff appearances, and a SB title under his belt. Lamar is being put in a position to succeed, because he has successful coaches around him. 

Being able to put a player in position to be successful builds confidence and builds the player. No one is denying the talent around Baker Mayfield, but what is Baker to do everytime that talent drops a big pass like ODB? or the TE during what would have been a successful two-point conversion in the game today, or two accurate bombs where one WR couldnt maintain possession and ODB didnt position himself to win against Marcus Peters? This is the talent that folks talk about, yet this talent are the ones dropping passes, hurting the team with senseless penalties etc. If speaking about coaching is off-limits then what about that? 

Or am I to say that it's all Baker's fault and that just because you have personnel around you then it doesnt matter if that personnel underachieves or that your coaching staff is a mess? 

Next year will be much of the same if these things arent addressed. The last 2 MVP's (Lamar is winning this year) were both 2nd year players who were overlooked and drafted by sound franchises with top 3 coaches in the league. That isnt a surprise. The other top young talented QB's in the game all have sound or somewhat-respectable coaching around them. 

Im simply not going to dismiss a portion of the problem, yet put the entirety of the problem at the feet of Mayfield, knowing that we would immediately call that out if it was Sam Darnold. This is why we can win today and I still feel that Gase needs to pack his stuff, for example. 

1 minute ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

YOU need to stop. Baker so far has been trash I have no idea why you feel the need to defend him so much. 

All caps doesnt change that you didnt even have an opinion on Lamar. "Neutral" and "gamble" were your own words. 

No one is defending anyone, the last I checked, you tagged me to get my attention. 

See, that's what haters do. They seek your attention, then claim victim. 

Just now, Losmeister said:

again no playoffs for 2 yrs, 4-5....    now18-3

better team by far yes. 18-3 cos of lamar, yes.

Lamar deserves credit but the overall team does too.  The offensive line along could allow him to do 50 jumping jacks before having to throw or run lol

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

I like Villain, but it’s funny how he pretends not to care but then is attracted like flies to sh*t whenever this thread is bumped.

Im in this thead every week. I never said that I didnt care about the thread. And your partner tagged me, only to make claims as if he didnt care, similar to how you just found your way into this convo...like flies on shyte. 

The difference is that I dont pretend. Im sitting here having a good convo with @Jets723 , a man who made it known that he wants to talk and maintain a level of respect regarding the topic. 

You guys are in here to sling shyte. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im in this thead every week. I never said that I didnt care about the thread. And your partner tagged me, only to make claims as if he didnt care, similar to how you just found your way into this convo...like flies on shyte. 

The difference is that I dont pretend. Im sitting here having a good convo with @Jets723 , a man who made it known that he wants to talk and maintain a level of respect regarding the topic. 

Appreciate the kind words.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Of course

Baker Mayfield is a douchebag, playing like a Bottom 5 QB in the league, and I enjoy poking fun at him. Many of us do.

You just can’t stand the fact that many people dislike him, you’ve hung your hat on him being an amazing QB, and now he’s playing like poop on a stick.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

bake was dece last year. this year not so much. despite chubb.

got no dog in this. wasnt all that impressed with sam bake josh.

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

First of all shouldn’t we all be Sam fans?

when all my sintsicnts (sic)  said dont even bother watching i bought teh damned package to watchs sam and the jets.

am rooting for him to be worthy of all the draft capital. so far. not worth it. and, to be continued...

Just now, Untouchable said:

Of course

Baker Mayfield is a douchebag, playing like a Bottom 5 QB in the league, and I enjoy poking fun at him. Many of us do.

You just can’t stand the fact that many people dislike him, you’ve hung your hat on him being an amazing QB, and now he’s playing like poop on a stick.

I think the kid has talent as we saw last year but he had been disappointing.  It’s not all on him obviously but he shoulders blame too

53 minutes ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

@Villain The Foe

I believe this is the real king. 

C82093ED-FBBA-4A4A-AA36-7900B2616CE8.jpeg

What's this...a tag for my attention? Wait, I thought I was out here doing the worst? Lets see how you started your conversation in this thread last week. 

On 12/17/2019 at 1:09 AM, JustEndTheSuffering said:

@Villain The Foe chill out, this is a JETS forum so enough with being the Baker defender. He’s just not having a good season and that’s a fact. Oh and btw your boy isn’t king of the north there’s a guy over in Baltimore named Lamar Jackson that I believe has claimed that crown. 

Oh wait, another tag for my attention? 

lol.

You guys are mind****ed. 

Just now, Losmeister said:

when all my sintsicnts (sic)  said dont even bother watching i bought teh damned package to watchs sam and the jets.

am rooting for him to be worthy of all the draft capital. so far. not worth it. and, to be continued...

Agree to disagree but I respect your opinion 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Of course

Mayfield reminds me of Sanchez. Does amazing things that make you think he has it. Then, over time, you realize he is not in the same league as REAL QBs.  makes bonehead plays and behaves in a manner that REAL QBs don’t when not on the field. 

• Upvote 1