Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

True. You cant have 34 commercials and play like that. 

Granted, it's great for the bank account, but it's hard when you throw 3 INT's then you see a progressive commercial "protecting your house". 

haha. 

My personal favorite commercial is him cleaning up the trash in the seats after his friends leave. 

Has to feel pretty similar to the end of his season. Lol.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Baker only has way better WRs, TE, 2 good running backs and a better Oline

But Darnold is Better than Baker, right?????

So shouldnt the better QB be raising the level of the players around him????

Your hate never makes sense. But when does hate ever make sense? 

Darnold has the better overall coaching and better defense. The Browns had arguably the worst coaching staff in the league. The jets Defense was top 10...7th to be exact, the Browns was 22nd. The Jets had a slightly better turnover differential. Those WR's you keep talking about, well OBJ was 2nd in the league in Wide Receiver errors, which makes sense as 12 of Baker's 21 INT's hit the hands of his receivers. 

The Browns have a better Oline, only because they have Joel Bitonio. JC Tretter is a an average C, but their other guard spot as well as their tackles are garbage.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Darnold has the better overall coaching and better defense. The Browns had arguably the worst coaching staff in the league. The jets Defense was top 10...7th to be exact, the Browns was 22nd. The Jets had a slightly better turnover differential. Those WR's you keep talking about, well OBJ was 2nd in the league in Wide Receiver errors, which makes sense as 12 of Baker's 21 INT's hit the hands of his receivers. 

The Browns have a better Oline, only because they have Joel Bitonio. JC Tretter is a an average C, but their other guard spot as well as their tackles are garbage.

Come on man.  I’ve tried to be fair and respectful about Baker because I know you are a hardcore fan of his but he had much more support and a better OLINE and it’s not close.  I agree Kitchens sucks but Gase is not too much better.  Honestly thank god we have Gregg Williams 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

LOL

The fact remains that Mayfield is surrounded by two pro-bowl receivers and a 1500 yard RB yet still looked like complete doo-doo this season.

I don’t care if Kitchens is the worst HC to ever step on an NFL sideline, that’s just pathetic. There’s no excuse for it.

You remain skeptical of Darnold, who is supposed to raise the level of scrubs like Vyncint Smith and Daniel Brown, yet you remain steadfast in your belief that Mayfield is a great QB despite falling flat on his face with the likes of OBJ, Landry and Chubb?

That’s a hootenanny and a half.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I have to draw a line at that one though.

29 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Come on man.  I’ve tried to be fair and respectful about Baker because I know you are a hardcore fan of his but he had much more support and a better OLINE and it’s not close.  

But I didnt even respond to you, but to Phil. I dont understand what you're talking about. Or was this your way to enter the conversation? 

??

Anyway, please name me this Browns offensive line that the Jets Oline "wasnt even close" to. When you do that, also let me know how many rotations at both tackle spots the Browns had this season. 

I agree Kitchens sucks but Gase is not too much better.  Honestly thank god we have Gregg Williams 

Two things you said here proves my point. #1. Gase is "not much better", which means that he's better, but furthermore he was able to produce a much more competent offense on critical downs such as on third down and in the redzone in comparison to the Browns. 

I've watched all games from both teams, so I have a visual perspective on this that I can speak in greater detail. Question, and please answer this. Have you watched Cleveland games this year. And I mean the games, not the 10 minute YT highlights. If not, then it's safe to say that I have the high road based on what was produced (and seen) on the field. 

#2. You said thank goodness for Gregg Williams. Question, what coach did rookie HC Kitchens have to clean up his messes? 

No one. 

So, what am I saying that is so out of pocket here? Also, because im bringing up these facts, is that considered not fair and disrespectful? You keep mentioning this. I've told you, you're good brother. ?

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But I didnt even respond to you, but to Phil. I dont understand what you're talking about. Or was this your way to enter the conversation? 

??

Anyway, please name me this Browns offensive line that the Jets Oline "wasnt even close" to. When you do that, also let me know how many rotations at both tackle spots the Browns had this season. 

Two things you said here proves my point. #1. Gase is "not much better", which means that he's better, but furthermore he was able to produce a much more competent offense on critical downs such as on third down and in the redzone in comparison to the Browns. 

I've watched all games from both teams, so I have a visual perspective on this that I can speak in greater detail. Question, and please answer this. Have you watched Cleveland games this year. And I mean the games, not the 10 minute YT highlights. If not, then it's safe to say that I have the high road based on what was produced (and seen) on the field. 

#2. You said thank goodness for Gregg Williams. Question, what coach did rookie HC Kitchens have to clean up his messes? 

No one. 

So, what am I saying that is so out of pocket here? Also, because im bringing up these facts, is that considered not fair and disrespectful? You keep mentioning this. I've told you, you're good brother. ?

Hey Villain....is Monken the OC of the Browns? Did they let him go? Was a pretty popular guy this time last year.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

??

No one. 

Ok then....

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

LOL

The fact remains that Mayfield is surrounded by two pro-bowl receivers and a 1500 yard RB yet still looked like complete doo-doo this season.

Im not arguing against this fact outside of 1 incorrect statement (Make sure to watch how I state "facts" here @Jets723).

The Browns DO NOT have 2 probowl receivers. Landry was a Probowl receiver and a receptions leader coming in from Miami when he got to Cleveland. He maintained his status as a probowler, making it every season since 2015. Landry has been a Probowler both seasons and had a better season this year than in his first in Cleveland. 

That's what probowlers and all pro receivers do. 

What about OBJ? OBJ hasnt been to the probowl since 2016. He had an injured 2017 season and coming back from that injury in 2018 produced his lowest numbers across the board for the Giants, and again missed the probowl. 

Come 2019 and OBJ puts up similar numbers this season as he did in 2018, however playing in 4 more games. OBJ is 2nd in the league in receiver errors amongst receivers as well. 

And even with that situation, Baker Mayfield STILL had two receivers over 1,000 yards receiving. Of course Mayfield will look like trash when he's in a poorly designed offense and having to force feed a receiver who whines every play except the plays where he drops passes. 

None of this takes away the fact that Mayfield looked like sh*t this year, however, that's not what's being questioned here. What's being questioned is this nonsense about probowl receivers...in the plural. OBJ hasnt been a probowl level receiver since 2016 and his actions and inconsistency reflected that this year. 

I don’t care if Kitchens is the worst HC to ever step on an NFL sideline, that’s just pathetic. There’s no excuse for it.

Well, if Kitchens is the worst HC ever, then an excuse is justifiable. That's not dismissed simply because you wont say it. How do I know? I see it everyday with Adam Gase and Sam Darnold, right on this forum. But because Sam is a Jet, folks suddenly understand how that can affect a quarterback. 

You remain skeptical of Darnold, who is supposed to raise the level of scrubs like Vyncint Smith and Daniel Brown, yet you remain steadfast in your belief that Mayfield is a great QB despite falling flat on his face with the likes of OBJ, Landry and Chubb?

Darnold because he's a bottom 10 QB. Funny thing is, if I made a excuse for him such as coaching or talent, you wouldnt claim that "there are no excuses" and be steadfast about Darnold stats being his stats. 

So in reality this isnt about my skepticism about Darnold or Mayfield. This is about stacking the deck as much as folks can in regards to Mayfield, while at the same time making Darnold's situation as sh*tty as one can possibly make it...in order to provide Sam an.....

Excuse. 

Funny how that sh*t works. 

OBJ has shown not to be what he was years ago. No one can argue that because stats dont lie, right? You cant call Mayfield trash because he was around a bunch of probowlers, but the probowlers you're talking about isnt even a probowler. What you're doing is called stacking the deck. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

I have to draw a line at that one though.

I can understand that. 

I ask everyone who has said something similar to this. I ask,...Have you watched all, of even the majority of the games that Gase and Kitchens coached this year? 

I havent had one "yes" answer yet. 

I've watched both teams this year, and If I had to pic one as my coach, im running to grab Gase. Please, dont misconstrue this as being some "Gase is a good coach" situation. Gase should be fired and in reality, he should have never gotten the job and folks are hyping up the last 10 games though we only played 2 teams with a winning record (Ravens, Bills) and the Bills pulled their starters in week 17 so that doesnt even mean much. 

Gase is getting a pass on winning against bad teams, while at the same time folks are ignoring to two teams he lost to that didnt even have wins this season...simply because it didnt happen lately. 

Adam Gase is a bad coach. Jets fans will be saying this next year in October....like we always do. 

However, with that said...Kitchens was abysmal. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I can understand that. 

I ask everyone who has said something similar to this. I ask,...Have you watched all, of even most of the games that Gase and Kitchens coached this year? 

I havent had one "yes" answer yet. 

I've watched both teams this year, and If I had to take one as my coach, im running to grab Gase. Please, ton misconstrue this as being some "Gase is a good coach" situation. Gase should be fired and in reality, he should have never gotten the job and folks are hyping up the last 10 games though we only played 2 teams with a winning record (Ravens, Bills) and the Bills pulled their starters in week 17 so that doesnt even mean much. 

Gase is getting a pass on winning against bad teams, while at the same time folks are ignoring to two teams he lost two that didnt even have wins this season...simply because it didnt happen lately. 

Adam Gase is a bad coach. Jets fans will be saying this next year in October....like we always do. 

However, with that said...Kitchens was abysmal. 

I think everybody agrees Kitchens sucks but I’m not gonna totally blame him for Mayfield sucking this year.  As much as I dislike Gase I’m not gonna blame him for Sam not taking the big step forward I wanted.  However as bad as Kitchens was there still was enough talent/protection  around Baker for him to be better than he was 

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Sounds like Dorsey is getting fired too.

That would be insane if that happened. It's one thing to get the coach wrong, but he immediately fired him. The reason for the amount of young talent on the team is because of Dorsey. 

This guy is trying to turn around a team that went 1-31 over a span of 2 seasons. If Haslam fires Dorsey, that would just confirm how terrible he is as an owner. You got to give Dorsey more than 2 seasons when he's shown you so many other areas of progress. It's not like Kitchens when you can tell that from the perspective of coaching games, he simply wasnt the guy for the job. 

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

I think everybody agrees Kitchens sucks but I’m not gonna totally blame him for Mayfield sucking this year.  As much as I dislike Gase I’m not gonna blame him for Sam not taking the big step forward I wanted.  However as bad as Kitchens was there still was enough talent/protection  around Baker for him to be better than he was 

As no one should totally blame him for Mayfield sucking this year. The problem has been the "total" part. It's extreme. I should be able to state the fact about Kitchens without problem. It's the truth. 

You can play a chess match, I can give you all queens as pieces to go along with your king piece, while I keep the same pieces. However, if im a chess master and you're a novice, chances are you're going to lose, even with all the talent on the board. See what I mean? The folks who oversee the talent is important. That's just a fact. 

If coaching didnt matter, or if anyone can be the coach, then it would eventually be a position phased out because you can just let the QB be the coach of the offense and the backer or safety the coach for the defense and just let talent play against talent. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Sam > The Angry Midget Qb

sorry

• Upvote 1

Now that it appears Rex is correct about Baker Mayfield, I wonder what all the yahoos on Jet nation will have to say? I mean they hate Rex Ryan and he's wrong no matter what? So please, all you weirdos, please explain how he could possibly be right?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Now that it appears Rex is correct about Baker Mayfield, I wonder what all the yahoos on Jet nation will have to say? I mean they hate Rex Ryan and he's wrong no matter what? So please, all you weirdos, please explain how he could possibly be right?

Parcells won with Kotite’s players dammit

On 9/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, Patriot Killa said:

I watched a lot of Baker last year. I didn’t see one reads? I seen him go through progressions rather well. Kind of hard to stat pad 27 touchdowns, Phil

I’m just saying.

turns out its possible.

Out of Bakers 9 multi-td games 6 were against what were basically the worst defenses in the league.

7 tds/0 int in 2 games vs Cin who was the 32nd ranked pass def and worst overall ranked defense, 28.4 ppg which was 30th

3 tds/0 int in 1 game vs Atl who was the 27th ranked pass def and 28th overall ranked defense, 26.4 ppg which was 25th

2 tds/2 int in 1 game vs Oak who was 32nd overall ranked def and 19th against the pass, 29.2 ppg which was worst in the nfl and the 19th ranking vs the pass is misleading because they had the least pass attempts against since they one of the worst vs the run and scored only 18.1 ppg while also giving up the most td passesdespite the lack of passing attempts against them

2 tds/0 int in 1 game vs the bucs who were 26th vs pass and 27th overall defense and gave up 29 ppg which was 31st in the nfl

2 tds/1 int vs the chiefs who were 31st overall def and 31st against the pass and gave up 26.3 ppg which was 24th in the nfl

So thats 16 tds/3 ints vs very bad defense

BUT:

10 tds/12 ints in his games vs good (ravens, texand, chargers) and average (steelers, broncos) defenses show a whole different story that is more in line with his performance this year where he played better defenses overall. and his team was stacked with talent on offense this year

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, neckdemon said:

turns out its possible.

Out of Bakers 9 multi-td games 6 were against what were basically the worst defenses in the league.

7 tds/0 int in 2 games vs Cin who was the 32nd ranked pass def and worst overall ranked defense, 28.4 ppg which was 30th

3 tds/0 int in 1 game vs Atl who was the 27th ranked pass def and 28th overall ranked defense, 26.4 ppg which was 25th

2 tds/2 int in 1 game vs Oak who was 32nd overall ranked def and 19th against the pass, 29.2 ppg which was worst in the nfl and the 19th ranking vs the pass is misleading because they had the least pass attempts against since they one of the worst vs the run and scored only 18.1 ppg while also giving up the most td passesdespite the lack of passing attempts against them

2 tds/0 int in 1 game vs the bucs who were 26th vs pass and 27th overall defense and gave up 29 ppg which was 31st in the nfl

2 tds/1 int vs the chiefs who were 31st overall def and 31st against the pass and gave up 26.3 ppg which was 24th in the nfl

So thats 16 tds/3 ints vs very bad defense

BUT:

10 tds/12 ints in his games vs good (ravens, texand, chargers) and average (steelers, broncos) defenses show a whole different story that is more in line with his performance this year where he played better defenses overall. and his team was stacked with talent on offense this year

Let’s focus on this year.  Baker had 21 interceptions and could have easily had 5-6 more I saw several bad passes he threw get dropped by opposing DBs

Oh and Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield both had the same completion percentage 59% — now let’s get a Goddamn snack

A8AC150D-2FF0-4172-BDC8-43014E084D8C.thumb.jpeg.6358d410f8003dde6a5bd8b6e70f8439.jpeg

On 12/31/2019 at 8:20 PM, Villain The Foe said:

More lies.

Exposed.

Ask me right now they both stink and better take a bath before their 3rd season. Baker certainly had a better roster  on offense and expectations were very high for them. Sam started the season off with mono and two stiffs on the line that probably shouldn’t have suited up on any roster  this year. 

If we want to talk about better or worse then I’d say the comparative would be from their own seasons last year. Baker certainly was much better last year than this year. Sam has been pretty much lack luster both years. Honestly comparing both of them right now is pretty much futile and intellectually dishonest if you ask me. Baker got much worse after a record setting  first year and Sam cleaned up a couple things but still pretty much the guy he was last year. Of course we can  make up reasons and excuses but ultimately it just is. 

Bottom line is for the 1st and 3rd(+ bounty of picks surrendered) overall picks of the draft both of them better take a huge 3rd year leap. The responsibility of fixing whatever is broke around them falls squarely on their respective front office. Right now? I wouldn’t be happy with either of them. If you need me, I will be watching Lamar “ the truth” Jackson playing in the post season. If anyone wants to see what a young hot QB looks like, look no further  than The Truth.

• Upvote 2

On 12/31/2019 at 1:26 PM, Villain The Foe said:

Im not arguing against this fact outside of 1 incorrect statement (Make sure to watch how I state "facts" here @Jets723).

The Browns DO NOT have 2 probowl receivers. Landry was a Probowl receiver and a receptions leader coming in from Miami when he got to Cleveland. He maintained his status as a probowler, making it every season since 2015. Landry has been a Probowler both seasons and had a better season this year than in his first in Cleveland. 

That's what probowlers and all pro receivers do. 

What about OBJ? OBJ hasnt been to the probowl since 2016. He had an injured 2017 season and coming back from that injury in 2018 produced his lowest numbers across the board for the Giants, and again missed the probowl. 

Come 2019 and OBJ puts up similar numbers this season as he did in 2018, however playing in 4 more games. OBJ is 2nd in the league in receiver errors amongst receivers as well. 

And even with that situation, Baker Mayfield STILL had two receivers over 1,000 yards receiving. Of course Mayfield will look like trash when he's in a poorly designed offense and having to force feed a receiver who whines every play except the plays where he drops passes. 

None of this takes away the fact that Mayfield looked like sh*t this year, however, that's not what's being questioned here. What's being questioned is this nonsense about probowl receivers...in the plural. OBJ hasnt been a probowl level receiver since 2016 and his actions and inconsistency reflected that this year. 

Well, if Kitchens is the worst HC ever, then an excuse is justifiable. That's not dismissed simply because you wont say it. How do I know? I see it everyday with Adam Gase and Sam Darnold, right on this forum. But because Sam is a Jet, folks suddenly understand how that can affect a quarterback. 

Darnold because he's a bottom 10 QB. Funny thing is, if I made a excuse for him such as coaching or talent, you wouldnt claim that "there are no excuses" and be steadfast about Darnold stats being his stats. 

So in reality this isnt about my skepticism about Darnold or Mayfield. This is about stacking the deck as much as folks can in regards to Mayfield, while at the same time making Darnold's situation as sh*tty as one can possibly make it...in order to provide Sam an.....

Excuse. 

Funny how that sh*t works. 

OBJ has shown not to be what he was years ago. No one can argue that because stats dont lie, right? You cant call Mayfield trash because he was around a bunch of probowlers, but the probowlers you're talking about isnt even a probowler. What you're doing is called stacking the deck. 

When you really think about it; OBJ, Landry, Chubb, Hunt really arent good at Football.

Hot take!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2