Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Hold on.  From a certain perspective it could be argued that Rex Ryan knows QBs better than just about anybody.  I can't ever recall a two week stretch in the postseason where a guy limited both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on their home fields.  I vividly remember the announcer during that playoff game in Indy saying something like, "And here's Peyton Manning, hasn't been sacked in 3 weeks...."  the next play Rex schemes an easy sack against him.  Tom Brady hadn't thrown an INT in something like 200 pass attempts heading into that game.  1st Quarter, David Harris picks him off.  Every body said to pressure Brady, Rex wrote a totally different 2nd Half game plan for that day and at one point was dropping like 9 guys into coverage and suffocated any places Brady wanted to throw the ball.

And it's not just those two games, although they were the pinnacle.  He made life very, very tough on Aaron Rodgers and other elite passers.

There's a lot we can criticize Rex about but he knows QB tendencies, he knows how to defend them and in that regard, he really is a great evaluator of a QBs strengths and weaknesses.

Even when they sucked, he did a good job against Brees in 2013.  He gave up the yards, but not the points.  If they had even a remote answer for Graham that would have been a masterful defensive performance.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Even when they sucked, he did a good job against Brees in 2013.  He gave up the yards, but not the points.  If they had even a remote answer for Graham that would have been a masterful defensive performance.

Check out Pro Football Reference.  I just started searching for game logs from 2009 and 2010.  Some of those games were defensive works of art.

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Rex gets too much heat for sh*t like this.  Saying that, like the extension were designed to keep the kid's psyche intact.  Same with making Santonio Holmes a captain.  You give him a title in the hope that he takes it to heart and works hard.  There are enough reasons Rex deserves to be ripped, which I guess is why this sh*t looks so bad.

No, he deserves scrutiny. If you decide to take a tactic, and it sucks, it’s fair game to criticicism.

32 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I like Baker and think he’s going to be a good QB but.....

GTFO out with accomplishments “in the bank”.

this guy has the most picks of any QB since becoming a starter.

he has a losing record 

he played the worst defenses in the nfl last year

7 of his TDs and 600+ of his yards came against a bengals team that was literally the bottom 5 in NFL HISTORY 

through three games, with the  BEST wr in the nfl he has 3tds and 5 picks and is completing less than 60%

ryan Fitzpatrick had a 30 TD season- what do you think of him? 

You are clueless 

You’re right nico. I’m the one who’s clueless.

You feel better now?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Hold on.  From a certain perspective it could be argued that Rex Ryan knows QBs better than just about anybody.  I can't ever recall a two week stretch in the postseason where a guy limited both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on their home fields.  I vividly remember the announcer during that playoff game in Indy saying something like, "And here's Peyton Manning, hasn't been sacked in 3 weeks...."  the next play Rex schemes an easy sack against him.  Tom Brady hadn't thrown an INT in something like 200 pass attempts heading into that game.  1st Quarter, David Harris picks him off.  Every body said to pressure Brady, Rex wrote a totally different 2nd Half game plan for that day and at one point was dropping like 9 guys into coverage and suffocated any places Brady wanted to throw the ball.

And it's not just those two games, although they were the pinnacle.  He made life very, very tough on Aaron Rodgers and other elite passers (15 for 34, 0 TDs and a 59 Rating).  The year prior he went into San Diego against a Philip Rivers in his prime and held him to 1 TD, 2 INTs and a 76 rating.

There's a lot we can criticize Rex about but he knows QB tendencies, he knows how to defend them and in that regard, he really is a great evaluator of a QBs strengths and weaknesses.

Rex is cocaine. If you need to get up for one big moment, take a snort and come out swinging. Problem is you feel like trash the day after and it loses its effectiveness as time goes on.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

And it's not just those two games, although they were the pinnacle.  He made life very, very tough on Aaron Rodgers and other elite passers (15 for 34, 0 TDs and a 59 Rating).  The year prior he went into San Diego against a Philip Rivers in his prime and held him to 1 TD, 2 INTs and a 76 rating.

It’s amazing how much Rex gets beat up on this board he is only responsible for the best stretch of football this fan base has seen for 50 years

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, jetsyrup said:

Rex doesn't know what makes a good QB. He couldn't identify a guy that will be a good QB if his life depended on it. 

He can tell you how to beat a QB, good or bad though.

So 3tds 5 ints and a 58% completion percentage despite having Landry, Njoku and OBJ is a “good QB?”

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Rex is cocaine. If you need to get up for one big moment, take a snort and come out swinging. Problem is you feel like trash the day after and it loses its effectiveness as time goes on.

If Rex is cocaine then Bowles and Gase are heroin laced with cyanide and bleach

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just because he can Scheme against a QB doesn't mean he knows how to scout a QB... Come on... playing defense and taking away QBs tendancies and making them feel uncomfortable in the pocket doesn't mean that he knows how to evaluate College or first year QBs and predict future success. This is a horrible argument.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Just because he can Scheme against a QB doesn't mean he knows how to scout a QB... Come on... playing defense and taking away QBs tendancies and making them feel uncomfortable in the pocket doesn't mean that he knows how to evaluate College or first year QBs and predict future success. This is a horrible argument.

Baker has looked mediocre as f-ck this year after getting a top 5 WR

Rex is right 

23 hours ago, JiF said:

Baker Mayfield sucks.

Ding Ding Ding Ding

I mean all that’s left to figure out is does his epic melt down rival, or even surpass Ryan Leafs?

I can’t stand Baker, but I’d never put him in the Jamarcus Russell class, Bakers failures won’t be because he didn’t put in the work, or because he wasn’t passionate kid is as passionate as they come.

His over confidence, and cockiness combined with the egos around him, and the way today’s media flip flops on you in a NY minute will he his demise IMO.

Winning cures all, and can alter ones destiny, IMO that is Bakers only real chance at succeeding on the NFL level.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Ding Ding Ding Ding

I mean all that’s left to figure out is does his epic melt down rival, or even surpass Ryan Leafs?

I can’t stand Baker, but I’d never put him in the Jamarcus Russell class, Bakers failures won’t be because he didn’t put in the work, or because he wasn’t passionate kid is as passionate as they come.

His over confidence, and cockiness combined with the egos around him, and the way today’s media flip flops on you in a NY minute will he his demise IMO.

Winning cures all, and can alter ones destiny, IMO that is Bakers only real chance at succeeding on the NFL level.

No one is saying Baker is Duhmarcus Russellbut the absolute hype train about this guy has been out of control

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Rex should never be allowed to pick the groceries for real if he was coaching his impulsive decisions based on irrelevant things just because he thinks they are awesome, or will be cool for another one of his chosen players he loves to get a buddy that has no business being on a practice squad never mind getting drafted.

But maybe when being objective (ha ha ha ha ha a Ryan objective) he may be able to occasionally come up with a good hot take.

But he isn’t there to be correct with his hot takes he is just there to be loud boisterous and to say controversial stuff to get viewership.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No one is saying Baker is Duhmarcus Russellbut the absolute hype train about this guy has been out of control

Thank you for summarizing my post ??

Seriously though yes overrated always has been, doesn’t mean he won’t get lucky, and succeed though, I’d still not bet on it though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

My question is, if Darnold has showed himself as a FQB would we be talking about Mayfield?

Yes. Mayfield is very polarizing. Sam is about as boring as could be. His greatest antics so far is faking mono, get back to me when he poses with a couple rabid Pandas and a Jeep with no roof! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker has looked mediocre as f-ck this year after getting a top 5 WR

Rex is right 

Whether right or wrong... Rex has no credibility to scouting a QB... That is the point... not whether he is right or wrong... Between Dan Jones being the best QB and Baker Mayfield overrated... He gets no credit for hot takes, because he has no skill at evaluating a QB.... His voice means nothing on this subject... Now he starts talking how to defend against QBs or scouting Defensive players then there is something to listen to... But this sh*t is just media clickbait junk

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Ya but how awesome were those constantly blown coverage assignments. We got gashed thru the air every week at one point. I remember getting thrown all over constantly in 2011-14. Two years ain’t enough.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What argument did I make that he can scout a QB?

Where did I say he can evaluate college or first year QBs?

I said "from a certain perspective".  But when you can take away a QBs best abilities and shutdown the things he does best aren't you doing some sort of planning for that QB?  Aren't you saying, "I know what he does well, I know what he likes....I'm going to take that away from him and force him to do things I know he's not good at" ?

This board really isn't the place for nuanced conversations is it?  This place is to f'ing binary man....  Fire Gase, Trade Leo, Give Cashman a 5-year extension.  You've got people who love Jamal Adams and people who hate him.  Very few can have a reasonable conversation about him.  This place is getting tough to stomach.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Ding Ding Ding Ding

Yep.  And he clearly gets flustered by it.  That's why he defensively addresses everything said about him or the Browns.  Like the dig he took back at Rex, "he's not wearing colors for a reason" after just saying that what he says doesnt matter.  Just shut up.  You're nothing compared to Rex Ryan, he'd be the best thing to ever happen to the Browns.  

I was just listening to Dan Labatard, they were talking about this...he dropped some stats on Baker that were just puzzling when you consider the hype train.  Stuff like; leaves a clean pocket more than anyone in the NFL, bottom 5 in comp % since week 14 last year, top 5 in turnovers during the time, bottom 5 QBR and a couple other gems, maybe sacks or off target throws...cant remember exactly but it was alarming for someone who carries himself like the best QB in the NFL.

He's better than I expected him to be and I would think with the right coaching/system that he'll be ok but I really want to watch him crash and burn hard because he's such an arrogant pos. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep.  And he clearly gets flustered by it.  That's why he defensively addresses everything said about him or the Browns.  Like the dig he took back at Rex, "he's not wearing colors for a reason" after just saying that what he says doesnt matter.  Just shut up.  You're nothing compared to Rex Ryan, he'd be the best thing to ever happen to the Browns.  

I was just listening to Dan Labatard, they were talking about this...he dropped some stats on Baker that were just puzzling when you consider the hype train.  Stuff like; leaves a clean pocket more than anyone in the NFL, bottom 5 in comp % since week 14 last year, top 5 in turnovers during the time, bottom 5 QBR and a couple other gems, maybe sacks or off target throws...cant remember exactly but it was alarming for someone who carries himself like the best QB in the NFL.

He's better than I expected him to be and I would think with the right coaching/system that he'll be ok but I really want to watch him crash and burn hard because he's such an arrogant pos. 

I’d like to rep this x10!

paging @Villain The Foe 

Your boy Baker is playing with a switch blade while my boy PMIII is twirling double fisted 6 shooters ??

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What argument did I make that he scout a QB?

Where did I say he can evaluate college or first year QBs?

I said "from a certain perspective".  But when you can take away a QBs best abilities and shutdown the things he does best aren't you doing some sort of planning for that QB?  Aren't you saying, "I know what he does well, I know what he likes....I'm going to take that away from him and force him to do things I know he's not good at" ?

This board really isn't the place for nuanced conversations is it?  This place is to f'ing binary man....  Fire Gase, Trade Leo, Give Cashman a 5-year extension.  You've got people who love Jamal Adams and people who hate him.  Very few can have a reasonable conversation about him.  This place is getting tough to stomach.

And I disagree... preparing for defense against a QB does not mean he can evaluate a QB which he has shown repeatedly throughout his coaching career.

Sure you have intimate knowledge of a QB because you have studied him but IMO that has no bearing to whether the QB is overrated or not and whether Dan Jones is going to be the best QB. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Baker was always supposed to have the better rookie year. Always.

He's older, has more experience, and was drafted by a significantly better team than any of his classmates.

That the league started figuring him out at the end of last year is why the pre-draft comp which Villain and I agreed upon for him before the draft is showing. Solid, serviceable starter highlighted by good games against bad defenses, can win the occasional tough game, but generally struggles against better competition. He was and always will be Jeff Garcia. The difference between the two is their personalities, and it is why people hate that little sh*thead and had no issue with Garcia.

Baker thinks he's still BMOC - taking shots at HCs, QBs, RBs, all while showing out and talking up big games but ultimately coming up short (pun included). Then he runs for the hills and gets defensive about it. The little bitch forgot he's in the big leagues. If he can get his head on straight, he'll have a solid long career like Garcia. Otherwise, I hope he continues to crash and burn and take OBJ and Hunt down with him.

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yep.  And he clearly gets flustered by it.  That's why he defensively addresses everything said about him or the Browns.  

One thing I always found funny(Unless your a Browns fan) their original team went to Baltimore became the Ravens and have won 2 Bowls since they left.

30 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And I disagree... preparing for defense against a QB does not mean he can evaluate a QB which he has shown repeatedly throughout his coaching career.

Sure you have intimate knowledge of a QB because you have studied him but IMO that has no bearing to whether the QB is overrated or not and whether Dan Jones is going to be the best QB. 

I don't disagree.  But a guy like Rex is almost the perfect "peer review" guy for a scouting department.  It's like when I run a brainstorming session at work or we have a meeting to kick around ideas....you want different opinions, you want people with a totally different perspective to throw darts at what you think is a good idea.

If I'm a scouting department and 2 months before the Draft I have a tentative list of my QB prospects (say Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, etc.) I'd have someone like Rex come in, study the guys and then I'd ask, "How would you defend each guy?  Who is the easiest to take things away from?  Which QB has that something special that almost no scheme can account for?" etc.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Whether right or wrong... Rex has no credibility to scouting a QB... That is the point... not whether he is right or wrong... Between Dan Jones being the best QB and Baker Mayfield overrated... He gets no credit for hot takes, because he has no skill at evaluating a QB.... His voice means nothing on this subject... Now he starts talking how to defend against QBs or scouting Defensive players then there is something to listen to... But this sh*t is just media clickbait junk

Yeah Rex sucks he’s only responsible for the best football we have seen as jets fans in 50 years

Oh and Baker is overrated