Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He was overhyped after last season, but he’s still a solid QB. It was always going to be hard for him to live up to the insane expectations. 

Rex needs to calm down, tho 

He broke the rookie record for TD’s in 13 games last year. He definitely isn’t a scrub. He’s still going to be really good. I think the media should stop trying to keep up with who’s the new hot hand from the 2018 QB class and cement their names in before anything is final.

“It’s Baker, no it’s Jackson, no it’s Allen, no it’s Darnold.” 

Lol dumb stuff really. All of them are having ups and downs and it’s not ending right away. There’s some time and experience in between that needs to be had before we say anything.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Philc1 said:

Baker was a one read guy last year too he just faced a lot of soft defenses and padded his stats and then he sucked facing good defenses

Teams figured out how to stop him. Even the jets without CJ Mosely and crap DBs and an offense that was never on the field contained Mayfield 

I watched a lot of Baker last year. I didn’t see one reads? I seen him go through progressions rather well. Kind of hard to stat pad 27 touchdowns, Phil. 

I’m just saying.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

It’s new because you were 10 when it happened 

I was actually on this forum and a sophomore in high school. thx anyway tho.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker is about to join RG3, Kaepernick, VY etc hyped up players who flash during their rookie years or early on and then get exposed

He only has a top 5 WR now during his regression

Good times. Last time you pulled this was before he was even drafted. You haven’t been able to come out the wood work in awhile until now😂 it’s on record how you felt about Baker. Your opinion is biased and it’s clear

good to see some of you try to resurrect an “I told you so” so prematurely. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Totally agree.

It’s almost like no one has watched the NFL for more than 6 weeks. 

Fans and media seem to want to completely re-evaluate players after every single week.

While this is a silly exercise with all players, it is particularly stupid with young QBs

It makes for edgy, opinionated football shows lol.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philc1 said:

If the browns start out 2-5 or 1-6 you’re ability to gloat about meaningless 2018 games might dissipate 

Their record really doesn’t matter to me. Baker, himself, doesn’t matter to me. This only matters to you. I’m simply telling you that, statistically, he had a record breaking year. There’s really nothing to refute or come back to. 2018 is finished lol.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, Baker has had 3 consecutive bad weeks.  Isn't it possible that, with a year of tape and an offseason to re-calibrate, the league has "caught up" to Mayfield?  

It'll be up to Baker to make adjustments/improvements, and perhaps he will.  But it's silly not to take new information into account when evaluating a player.  

true but it’s almost like these analysts look to cement the most recent success as the new norm and that’s the bigger issue.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course.  It's all about "What have you done for me lately."  But if this sh*tty season continues for Mayfield it'll become the new normal, and rightly so.  2018 will look like a fluke.

It's not like Pat Mahomes is out there having a sophomore slump (or "junior slump", if you count his 1 game in 2017 as his rookie season).  

Agreed that if he sucks the whole year, then that’s something reasonable to say. I just can’t stand the week-by-week thing.

I’m just ready for Sam to get back and hopefully we can get rolling.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ghost420 said:

What week to week thing? It's been three weeks he has not looking great. 

You’re misunderstanding my point. This doesn’t just have to do with Baker. The sports media does this with all players(especially QB’s). It’s their job. There are storylines and narratives that need to be created in order to feed themselves revenue thru the fan’s interest. I’m really not saying anything new but that’s where we are with it in 2019, except it’s now a magnified aspect of the league with social media. I guess my point is — assessing talent on weekly basis is one thing — using words like “Bust” or “Overrated” — while working off the impulse of those three games is another.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your point makes sense, but it's funny calling Rex Ryan part of the "sports media".  Like calling Tom Brady a philanthropist.  

Lol well as bad as the guy is(didn’t he get kicked off ESPN?😂) they still choose to put him in front of the camera for this very reason. He sure can spill some ear perking one-liners.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Hold on.  From a certain perspective it could be argued that Rex Ryan knows QBs better than just about anybody.  I can't ever recall a two week stretch in the postseason where a guy limited both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on their home fields.  I vividly remember the announcer during that playoff game in Indy saying something like, "And here's Peyton Manning, hasn't been sacked in 3 weeks...."  the next play Rex schemes an easy sack against him.  Tom Brady hadn't thrown an INT in something like 200 pass attempts heading into that game.  1st Quarter, David Harris picks him off.  Every body said to pressure Brady, Rex wrote a totally different 2nd Half game plan for that day and at one point was dropping like 9 guys into coverage and suffocated any places Brady wanted to throw the ball.

And it's not just those two games, although they were the pinnacle.  He made life very, very tough on Aaron Rodgers and other elite passers (15 for 34, 0 TDs and a 59 Rating).  The year prior he went into San Diego against a Philip Rivers in his prime and held him to 1 TD, 2 INTs and a 76 rating.

There's a lot we can criticize Rex about but he knows QB tendencies, he knows how to defend them and in that regard, he really is a great evaluator of a QBs strengths and weaknesses.

Ya but how awesome were those constantly blown coverage assignments. We got gashed thru the air every week at one point. I remember getting thrown all over constantly in 2011-14. Two years ain’t enough.

NFL vets fed up with Baker?😳According to B/R Gridiron’s Mike Freeman, a lot of players in the league think Baker is too cocky and acts like a better player than he is.

One defensive player with a ring said “He acts like he’s won 10 Super Bowls. He hasn’t won any.”

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company