Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

6 hours ago, jgb said:

It was a major issue for Brees in the beginning also. Mayfield had a much stronger 1st year than Brees and so far their 2nd year is looking extremely similar...

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2019 Cleveland Browns 5 161 90 55.9 32.2 1,247 7.7 249.4 4 2.5 8 5.0 89T 19 3 16 128 68.5

2018 Cleveland Browns 14 486 310 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 5.6 14 2.9 71 52 9 25 173

2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5

2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

You can not compare QB numbers in the NFL today with 2002. This is especially so when the 2002 QB was playing for Marty Shottenheimer.

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yes you can. It's still the QB position spoken of here. The game hasnt changed so drastically to the point that 2002 NFL football is an entirely different sport. 

And Baker Mayfield is playing for Freddie Kitchens, a man who doesnt have a history to even criticize. 

It hasn't?

In 2002 Rich Gannon led the NFL in passing yards with 4,689, and a grand total of 4 QB's passed for over 4,000 yards.

In 2018 Ben Rothlisberger led the NFL in passing yards with 5,129, and a grand total of 12 QBs passed for over 4,000 yards with 2 of the QBs being over 5,000 yards.

Oh.... I see what you're saying. Yeah, Yeah nothing has changed in the past 16 years. :roll:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Take a second, and read what what I actually said.

I didn't say that nothing changed, I said that it didnt change drastically to the point where the two are no longer the same.

Instead of comparing the top QB's how about compare the rookies and 2nd year players of that time...which is what comparing Brees and Baker essentially was. Neither of them were putting up Gannon or Roethlisberger MVP-like numbers...but 1st and 2nd year player numbers

I have absolutley no idea what you are talking about and I suspect you do not as well. You just don't know it yet.

If what you are saying is that you want to compare QB stats from 2002 and 2018 and despite the fact that the overall numbers for ALL of the QB's being wildly different with much larger numbers in 2018, you somehow think there is some validity to comparing Brees 2002 to Mayfield 2018, that's just intellectually dishonest and horrifically unscientific.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

You can compare anything you like, what you are suggesting is that context is important in such comparisons. That is always true. Nevertheless, your statement doesn’t completely invalidate that these numbers are interesting and do tell a story, especially when you consider in the next year—also under Schottenheimer—Brees had numbers that were much more Drew Brees-ian. 65% completion, 3-to-1 TD-to-INT ratio, +100 QBR. To me the numbers paint a clear picture of a young player for whom it was starting to click, that could also be Mayfield. Sophomore slumps are quite common, almost expected. The big point here is that the jury is still out on Mayfield.

Agreed. Just like you can compare a duck-billed platypus to GN-z11, you can also compare Brees playing in the 2002 version of the NFL to Mayfield playing in the 2018 version of the NFL. And both comparisons are virtually worthless.

32 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think most people have concluded (all but one) that Mayfield is not what Cleveland thought he'd be.  At least not yet and that he is no lock to live up to his billing.  But so far?  Negatory.  Time will tell.

I liked Mayfield coming our of college. I had him as my #2 behind Darnold. What put him behind Darnold? System, temperment, and age. I think last year he proved he was not a product of the system at Oklahoma. And while I continue to love his story of walking on at two D1 schools and winning the starting job and then eventually the Heisman, my concern was that he likes to be the underdog and prove doubters wrong. As the first pick in the draft, whose he gonna prove wrong? He still likes to go after his doubters -- Cowherd and Rex, but he's all over TV and everyone has sung his praises. Actually, a sh*t turd of a season this year may do his career some good.

Ultimately, he is who he is.  He loves the spotlight and will work his ass off to get into the spotlight, but once he gets there he stops working as hard because he feels he has "arrived". I think to meet his potential he needs a HC who has a bigger personality than his.

Career-wise, I think he may end up being more like Jeff George than Drew Brees.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jgb said:

I guess you’re also not a fan of the entire field of comparative history. Interesting things can be learned by comparing vastly different things: Ancient Roman legal system versus Colonial British legal system, as one of 100,000,000 examples. Don’t think the NFL in 2002 and 2019 are as different as those two things.

I beg to differ. Comparing QB numbers in the NFL from 2002 to 2019 is like comparing baseball homerun numbers for particular player in 2019 and 1992, when the MLB totals were 6,776 to 3,038. 

16 minutes ago, jgb said:

We’ll have to muddle through without your input, I guess. 

said the neanderthal to the homosapien 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Guess my brain is too atavistic to comprehend your reason for getting nasty.

:huh:  It was a comparison. I thought all comparisons were valid?

• Upvote 1

I’m curious why do some here seem like they have a stake in Braker Maypole’s success? I mean its one thing to watch it play out with interest and even to have a view on it, but they seem like fans rooting for a QB on another team? 

Braker Maypole is reeling for sure. But his talent is undeniable. The kid can sling it. Yes, he is a dick. But, that is not stopping his success. He's always been a dick. 

This is 100% on "Coach Freddie", as his players call him ... that reaks of respect, right? The guy is totally out of his depth. He fields an undiscplined team and his game management skills are not poor, they are non-existent.  Is that really a surprise to anyone since he was hired with zero experience as a HC at any level and less than one season's experience as a coordinator?

So, as poor Braker Maypole wallows in the impotence of playing for his friend Freddie, he will week by week become a more desparate and less effective NFL QB. And rather than feel sorry for the dire predicament of this former #1 pick, most will bask in the glow of Braker meltdowns as he continually assures us all, in the face of his repeated failures, that he is truly as great as he thinks he is. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company