Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

He was overhyped after last season, but he’s still a solid QB. It was always going to be hard for him to live up to the insane expectations. 

Rex needs to calm down, tho 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He wanted Russell Wilson but Woody Johnson wanted his hero Tim Tebow and Tanny drafted Stephen Hill over Wilson in round 2 instead

Great being a jets fan

Actually, according to Tanny himself, he was the one who really wanted Tebow 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

He broke the rookie record for TD’s in 13 games last year. He definitely isn’t a scrub. He’s still going to be really good. I think the media should stop trying to keep up with who’s the new hot hand from the 2018 QB class and cement their names in before anything is final.

“It’s Baker, no it’s Jackson, no it’s Allen, no it’s Darnold.” 

Lol dumb stuff really. All of them are having ups and downs and it’s not ending right away. There’s some time and experience in between that needs to be had before we say anything.

Totally agree.

It’s almost like no one has watched the NFL for more than 6 weeks. 

Fans and media seem to want to completely re-evaluate players after every single week.

While this is a silly exercise with any player, it is particularly stupid with young QBs

Just now, Philc1 said:

It’s been 3 weeks Baker didn’t even look good facing our crappy defense

Listen, Baker isn’t playing very well, but that team has major problems on the offensive line and very questionable coaching. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Russell Wilson was Terry Bradway's boy... Multiple reports about how he banged the table for him... Never heard of Rex till you showed that heresay article.

Phil is a bit of a Rex fanboy 

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

It makes for edgy, opinionated football shows lol.

Exactly 

9 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Lol sound like the jets .. except the fact baker plays with bunch of high end skill players.

True. He has awesome weapons. 

He has to start playing better soon, that’s for sure 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, Baker has had 3 consecutive bad weeks.  Isn't it possible that, with a year of tape and an offseason to re-calibrate, the league has "caught up" to Mayfield?  

It'll be up to Baker to make adjustments/improvements, and perhaps he will.  But it's silly not to take new information into account when evaluating a player.  

True. 

Ok you are right, maybe he sucks. Lol

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Browns next 4 weeks:

@Ravens

@49ers

seahawks

@Patriots

I’m hard

That locker room has a chance to be such a sh*t show  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The truth is somewhere in the middle.  He took the league by storm in '18 as a QB who came in midseason.  In '19 the league is adjusting to his tendencies.  He could still very well be a top 10 QB in this league or he could end up a bust.  But he could also just end up being a "pretty good", above average QB and that would be good enough for a franchise that had a franchise QB since pretty much forever.

I think his personality will be the most important factor here, as was the big red flag for him coming out of school.  Is he tough enough to work through the adversity, or will he be little b*tch and pu$$y out when things aren't going his way?  That will be telling.  Because his talent isn't really in question here.  

Agree.

i was worried about Mayfield’s personality in NY when it sounded like we were going to draft him.

It will be really interesting to see how his season turns out and how he handles it

3 minutes ago, EdReed22 said:

Watson and Mahomes  are the best out of all these young kids. Josh Allen is a beast also. Sam Arnold needs to stay healthy and throw deep passes accurately. Faker Mayfield like Jamal Adams needs to SHUT UP and let their play do the talking.

We could of had Mahomes or Watson. We selected a box safety and not even Hooker. Who most of us wanted, injured or not. He is a play maker. It's all about the passing now. Run stuffers can be drafted in later rounds.

I like Watson a lot as a player, but I worry about anyone with multiple knee surgeries.

I fear that he may not be a guy who lasts longterm.

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I wish the QB whisperer Rex cared cared about QB position when he was our HC. Seems to have an opinion on every young QB. Next up, Rex will start talking about sucking for Tua 

Eh, to be fair, he is an analyst now. He’s literally paid to give his opinion on stuff like that.

The only real issue I have with Rex is that he has failed to take any responsibility for the total collapse of this franchise following 2010. He’s repeatedly taken shots at Sanchez, Geno, and Idzik. It was always someone else’s fault.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, deucebag said:

As much as I hate to admit it, Baker has premier skills and I think he will be fine in the long run unless he gets injured.  I think, for now, he struggling because his two top weapons have personalities much larger than his own.

Eh, I don’t entirely buy this. 

1) Baker has a huge personality and is not afraid to tell people off. He was supposedly screaming at those “bigger” personalities in preseason.

2) Can you imagine what this board would be saying about Darnold if he had OBJ and Landry to throw to and played the way Baker has over the course of the first three weeks? It would not be pretty.

I think that the league has caught up to Baker to a degree and I also think Baker has struggled to handle the pass rush this year, behind what is a very suspect OL. 

However, I do think he has the talent to pick his game back up again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey guys. Please do me a favor, stop quoting me every time Jets fans who generally claim never to care anything about Baker Mayfield decide to make yet another Baker Mayfield thread surrounding a topic that could have went into any of the older Baker Mayfield threads given that they're all essentially the same. 

Quoting me only prompts my haters who are always salty to jump on your comment and respond with their saltiness because they're always salty to the point that its basically a knee-jerk response.

I'd rather not interrupt those Jets fans who claim not to care about Baker Mayfield and let them continue their discussions on Baker Mayfield. 

Thanks! 

VTF

You can’t run and hide now. You are known as the resident Baker fanboy. Embrace it. If you believe in your guy as much as you claim to, you should believe that you will have the last laugh. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Coming off his historic 2018 season, I think we'd be preaching patience.  

Fans have much less patience for Darnold, who has had an injury and sickness preventing him from seeing the field and has had mixed results when he has been healthy.  Despite Sam having much lesser talent than Mayfield, its fair to say Baker has looked like the better prospect to this point based on total body of work.  

I agree that Mayfield has a stronger body of work, at this point. 

The only thing I’d add is that I think Mayfield has to pick up his game very quickly to avoid a mass exodus from the bandwagon. It’s already beginning.

Even with the lack of great talent around him, Darnold is in an interesting position because I feel like a lot of people have already given up on the season. Thus, if he comes back and plays fairly well, he will get a lot of praise - perhaps too much praise. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, maybe one more thing. Get back to me when another QB from the '18 class accomplishes what Mayfield has so far. Not warm and fuzzy feelings and projections. Actual things like TD passes, yards, and QB rank...

How about wins? How about being 1-6 vs winning teams despite having a supposedly “dangerous” team around him?

And what about his 2019 accomplishments? 3 TDs and 5 picks, thus far? 

I think Baker will be good, but surely, you will admit that his (still very young) season has been disappointing? 

27 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Not according to Bart Scott Rex always took the blame..

I don’t mean in the locker room, 6 years ago. I mean now.

40 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

As far as the 1-6 thing, you realize he took over a team that went 0-16 in '17, and was 0-2 and down 14-0 when he came off the bench to start his career right? They were in contention for a division title going into week 17 with him after that. C'mon. Lets not cherry pick stats the way guys do here with Darnold's 3 game "HOF stretch" last year....

Yes, they were in contention because they beat a lot of bad teams.

The point is that, besides the massive hype, the Browns haven’t done anything to show that they are a good team yet, and in point of fact, have been beaten by almost all of the good teams they have played.

The only thing you can really say is that this is a team stat and by no means solely reflective of Mayfield’s performance. That is totally fair. 

But the pressure is on. When you start telling the world how dangerous you feel, you better deliver the goods. 

This year can quickly turn into a long and painful snap back to reality for you Baker Stans. 

43 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We've danced this dance before, my friend. You're a very level headed and obviously intelligent poster. Because of that, you're one of the VERY few I'll even discuss this subject with anymore.

As far as what you just said, I won't argue any of your points, they're all fair. The only thing I'll say is I feel people judge Baker differently then the others in his class last year. Because he accomplished so much last year, its almost as if they forget he's only played one season. I know you're going to probably say he doesn't help this with his antics, and that's fair, but for some reason his cockiness is what I like most about him.

At this point all we can really do is watch and see how his year plays out. If his season is successful, good for him, he'll have proven his critics wrong again. If he struggles, its on him, no one else. I'm not one to make excuses for QBs. They either get it done, or they don't. That's how I get in trouble here talking about another QB.

I agree with a lot of this, but it’s all about the hype, man. 

People are hard on him because of the crazy hype he got over the summer. (As am I)

The cockiness is a factor, but I also think a fair number of people are just like you and actually like that stuff. As for me, I don’t think the bravado would have worked well in NY with this sh*tshow of a franchise (I think he would have flamed out here just like Rex did), but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal in Cleveland. That city always has a chip on its shoulder, anyway. 

I’m still confident that he’s gonna be a good QB longterm, assuming he stays healthy 

32 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Coming into the thread and letting folks know that I wont respond to every pre-ejaculation isnt running. 

Eh, disagree. 

Time will tell how content you are with things 

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lol, after one week? I was thinking more links at the end of the season, but ok. 

Enjoy your Browns. Big win for them 

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

did you guys watch the game? Baker did nothing to help his team win. Chubb and Landry carried the offense. 

lol stop

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Clearly you didn’t watch 

Except that I did.

Baker is up and down right now. There’s no need to diminish a good performance with nonsense.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Did you miss that 150/300 yards came of two behind the line passes to Landry? Did you miss Chubb running for almost 200 yards? Baker made not a single play worth remembering. In fact he did his best to keep it close with a stupid pick in a critical point in the game.

Eh, he did his job and the Browns won a game they needed, given their upcoming schedule. 

I’ll leave this discussion here.

34 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

No, but that beats being benched by a filthy prostitute. 

stop it michael jordan GIF

• Upvote 1

How about the dude not shaking hands with the opposing defense before the game?

I could be having a brain moment, but I don’t think I have ever heard of that in the NFL before. Baker has some talent, but he’s got one of those personalities that is always going to fire up the opposing team/fan base. He would have been such a disaster in NY 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So now some video surface of Mayfield actually shaking hands before the toss with the Seahawk captains.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/richard-sherman-backtracks-after-video-footage-proves-baker-mayfield-shook-hands-with-49ers/

So since the premise of why the 49ers were so pissed off that they had to gobsmack the Browns has been rebutted, will they have to replay the game?

Lol

55 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why do you and Villain always have to equate the dislike for Mayfield to people having doubts about Darnold?

Maybe it’s just because the kid is an arrogant douchebag?

Drunkenly running from the cops, grabbing his dick and shouting “f*ck you” at the Kansas sideline, throwing a football at a group of TCU players, the whole “woke up feeling dangerous” line, the photo shoots of him shirtless standing next to a tiger and a Mercedes, publicly shaming the Giants’ selection of Daniel Jones, etc.

The list isn’t exactly short. He’s given plenty of reasons for people to not hold him in the highest regard.

It seems like you guys like him because of the whole “chip on his shoulder” underdog routine. Except that “underdog” label gets completely thrown out the window once you become the #1 overall pick in the draft.

He’s a goof. And yes, it’s funny watching him struggle.

barack obama mic drop GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It was a major issue for Brees in the beginning also. Mayfield had a much stronger 1st year than Brees and so far their 2nd year is looking extremely similar...

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2019 Cleveland Browns 5 161 90 55.9 32.2 1,247 7.7 249.4 4 2.5 8 5.0 89T 19 3 16 128 68.5

2018 Cleveland Browns 14 486 310 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 5.6 14 2.9 71 52 9 25 173

2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5

2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

Interesting comparison.

Not crazy at all, but Brees has a demeanor that works perfectly with his physical limitations and had no where near as much pressure on him as this guy does.

This guy is already in more commercials than just about everyone not named Aaron Rodgers. How long is that sustainable without him suddenly being awesome? 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I dont "always" have to equate these things. Actually, it's only something that I acknowledge as fact...nothing more. I won't bother to do this, but if I really wanted to, I could find atleast 20 different posts from people who compare the two QB's and that becomes more common after losses by Mayfield. 

Acknowledging this isnt always equating. It's just a fact. I generally dont compare the two guys. Have I done it? Sure. But it's nothing that's a constant for me because it's nothing I've really ever cared to do as some way to make a long standing point on this forum. It's just not necessary. 

Folks drop mic's as if Baker Mayfield runs from cops as a drunkard every weekend. Based on how often we hear about this 2 year old incident, you'd swear this happened more than once, or just this past weekend....EVERY weekend that passes. I dont care about this to the point of making it a conversation piece 2 years running. It's asinine that people even do it.

This is basically projecting. There is an entire underlined paragraph full of things that I dont even care about, because it isnt football. That's the soap-opera version of football media coverage other folks eat up. And I bet if it wasnt found out that Richard Sherman was a liar, not shaking hands would have been part of that paragraph. 

Folks are talking about a grown man taking photos with a tiger...shirtless. Why are other men even interested in this? I thought pictures like this was to grab the attention of women?  

This is all irrelevant stuff that folks who are interested in soap-opera's get caught up in. Nothing to sit back and drop a presidential mic over. 

It's just so asinine 

Confused Mark Wahlberg GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Let's cut to the chase:

You have spent the past year (and change) on a Jets message board jacking off a Cleveland QB who, thus far, has not lived up to his insane hype. People are going to come at him (and you) with everything they have. Yes, that includes mocking your hero for dopey shirtless pics with animals as well as reminding you of dumb sh*t he did in college. Par for the course.  Come back another 20 times with jokes about Darnold tongue kissing Jersey THOTs. It's all good fun, my dude. 

Also, f*ck Baker and everyone who looks like Baker 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Meh, let me just stop you there. I'd rather not entertain emotions.

Im speaking football. 

Cool, cool

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:00 PM, Villain The Foe said:

No, but that beats being benched by a filthy prostitute. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Meh, let me just stop you there. I'd rather not entertain emotions.

Im speaking football. 

Is that you speaking football? LMAO

• Upvote 2

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

No, that's speaking about a players poor choice in women..

So . . . you agree, you weren't taking about football. Good. 

LOL

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

As long as you got the point.

Oh, definitely. You are speaking football . . . 

LOL

• Haha 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company