Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Jets best head coach since Bill Parcells says Mayfield is a “one read guy” who “stares down receivers”

hard to argue he’s wrong

More Rex opinions on QBs??? Seriously, why does his viewpoint mean anything in regards to something he could never properly evaluate. Just because it proves your bias, so now he is right? Give me a break... Ryan is a blow hard that only knew how to coach and scout Defense.

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

He wanted Russell Wilson but Woody Johnson wanted his hero Tim Tebow and Tanny drafted Stephen Hill over Wilson in round 2 instead

Great being a jets fan

He didn't want Russell Wilson... Terry Bradway did talked about banging the table for him

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Actually, according to Tanny himself, he was the one who really wanted Tebow 

Yeah... he thought he was a better version of Brad Smith... And Rex loved him some Brad Smith... 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Tebow was Woody’s call

Russell Wilson was Terry Bradway's boy... Multiple reports about how he banged the table for him... Never heard of Rex till you showed that hearsay article.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Spelling of Hearsay
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

Nobody’s always right especially w QB’s, and I’m not even sure on Darnold yet. But Mayfield seemed like a slam dunk overhyped a$$hole who get too flossed in his own ego to ever be really good. Guess we’ll see.

He spends more time making commercials and living it up then studying Defenses and I think that is starting to show. He needs to take a bit of a humble pill and come back showing that he can study and be better at the game.

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Sorry I didn’t know we were in criminal court proceedings because Rex called out Baker for not being good

Just saying that it was widely reported about Terry Bradway... never with a slight hint or mention that Rex wanted him until this article.  Also multiple beat reporters had it that Rex was all over having Tebow play a Brad Smith role to bring trickery to the game.

33 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Especially when that’s suppose to be his MO, he’s not some kind of elite athlete with some elite skill set.

a. He was in the best offensive system in college football

b. He was an all guts and moxy overachiever 

with all the glory and fame his character seems more like a cross between Cutler/Sanchez/Newton and the all guts I’ll show them thing is morphing more into a defiant don’t you know who I am, thing

Yes but I think that given some humble pie he will turn it around eventually

11 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It was reported Rex did't want Stephan Hill.. I liked Rex he was a fun guy and no he wasn't a great HC but he got the team to 2 AFCCG's and knocked the Pats out of the Playoffs at their home field.. Some people loved Mangini but he never won a playoff game, even in a Brady less year with a HOF QB.. The QB the Jets got rid of took a 1-15 team to the playoffs and won the East.. People like to say Rex won with Mangini's team something Mangini couldn't do..:roll:

I liked Rex... I hated his vaunted shut down defense always giving up chunk plays on 3rd and long and letting teams back into the game... I hated that with all the talk and a lead going into halftime of the AFCC game and they lose... Or how they almost lost multiple times in the wildcard game in Novak didn't miss 3 FGs including 2 game winners... Rex had a lot of luck with an extremely talented roster. Mangini was a great talent evaluator ... Rex was a good defensive talent evaluator... terrible at offense... and could never beat the easy teams... they always played down or up to their competition. 

Mangini for GM... Rex for DC... Dungy HC... Lincoln Riley OC.... Perfect... haha.... 

6 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Ghost was one of his great picks.. If Mangini was so great how come he's not doing that for some team in the NFL?? You completely take out Tanny in your evaluation I bet and give every good pick to Mangini and the bad ones to Tanny..LOL The best QB Rex had to work with was the Buttfumbler,Mangini had much better QB's and won nothing.. 

I never discredited or credited Mangini with anyone in particular... I was just saying he was a great talent evaluator... He is well known for that but you don't have to believe me. Mangini wasn't a great coach and he has a cush gig at the moment so that is why he is out of the NFL.. Plus he ruffled feathers of certain owners in the league with the spygate sh*t.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Hold on.  From a certain perspective it could be argued that Rex Ryan knows QBs better than just about anybody.  I can't ever recall a two week stretch in the postseason where a guy limited both Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on their home fields.  I vividly remember the announcer during that playoff game in Indy saying something like, "And here's Peyton Manning, hasn't been sacked in 3 weeks...."  the next play Rex schemes an easy sack against him.  Tom Brady hadn't thrown an INT in something like 200 pass attempts heading into that game.  1st Quarter, David Harris picks him off.  Every body said to pressure Brady, Rex wrote a totally different 2nd Half game plan for that day and at one point was dropping like 9 guys into coverage and suffocated any places Brady wanted to throw the ball.

And it's not just those two games, although they were the pinnacle.  He made life very, very tough on Aaron Rodgers and other elite passers (15 for 34, 0 TDs and a 59 Rating).  The year prior he went into San Diego against a Philip Rivers in his prime and held him to 1 TD, 2 INTs and a 76 rating.

There's a lot we can criticize Rex about but he knows QB tendencies, he knows how to defend them and in that regard, he really is a great evaluator of a QBs strengths and weaknesses.

Just because he can Scheme against a QB doesn't mean he knows how to scout a QB... Come on... playing defense and taking away QBs tendancies and making them feel uncomfortable in the pocket doesn't mean that he knows how to evaluate College or first year QBs and predict future success. This is a horrible argument.

21 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Baker has looked mediocre as f-ck this year after getting a top 5 WR

Rex is right 

Whether right or wrong... Rex has no credibility to scouting a QB... That is the point... not whether he is right or wrong... Between Dan Jones being the best QB and Baker Mayfield overrated... He gets no credit for hot takes, because he has no skill at evaluating a QB.... His voice means nothing on this subject... Now he starts talking how to defend against QBs or scouting Defensive players then there is something to listen to... But this sh*t is just media clickbait junk

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

What argument did I make that he scout a QB?

Where did I say he can evaluate college or first year QBs?

I said "from a certain perspective".  But when you can take away a QBs best abilities and shutdown the things he does best aren't you doing some sort of planning for that QB?  Aren't you saying, "I know what he does well, I know what he likes....I'm going to take that away from him and force him to do things I know he's not good at" ?

This board really isn't the place for nuanced conversations is it?  This place is to f'ing binary man....  Fire Gase, Trade Leo, Give Cashman a 5-year extension.  You've got people who love Jamal Adams and people who hate him.  Very few can have a reasonable conversation about him.  This place is getting tough to stomach.

And I disagree... preparing for defense against a QB does not mean he can evaluate a QB which he has shown repeatedly throughout his coaching career.

Sure you have intimate knowledge of a QB because you have studied him but IMO that has no bearing to whether the QB is overrated or not and whether Dan Jones is going to be the best QB. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah Rex sucks he’s only responsible for the best football we have seen as jets fans in 50 years

Oh and Baker is overrated

Never said Rex sucks... You are avoiding the actual point. But on that note Why could his defense not hold a lead in the most important game of the season... Why did he always lose to bad teams but beat great ones? 

And Baker will be fine... is he a little too full of himself... Yes... He needs some humble pie.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company