Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Even the Browns recognize that Mayfield is generally disliked. 

Browns OL knows opponents “want a piece of” Baker Mayfield

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 10, 2019, 6:45 AM EDT

gettyimages-1059189434-e1570704294478.jp
Getty Images

The Browns are coming to realize that Baker Mayfield brings this out of people.

Which is fine and part of their personality. But there are still people who have to try to keep him upright against motivated foes.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Browns guard Joel Bitonio said he knows he has to prepare for extra effort at times.

“It’s one of those things that people, they see Baker’s name, they see him the media, they see some of his quotes and things of that nature, and they want a piece of him,’’ Bitonio said. “And it’s one of those things that we’re going to expect and we’re ready for.

“If that’s the way they motivate themselves to play, I just don’t know how someone can play harder. From my perspective, I don’t know how I could go out on the field and be like, ‘This Baker Mayfield guy did something, so I’m going to play harder today.’”

Monday’s loss to the 49ers provided a coupe of examples, from Nick Bosa planting an imaginary flag after a sack, as payback from a two-year-old college snub. Then came the Richard Sherman handshake-gate, in which a perceived slight became a massive story for a day.

“I feel like you’re already at a point as a professional where you’re playing your hardest, at least I hope so,’’ Bitonio said. “But maybe some guys aren’t at that level. Maybe some guys need it for motivation or to inspire them to do that, but as a professional, I feel like you should be motivated to go out and play. But obviously some guys are using it because we’ve heard it multiple times where teams are saying, ‘Yeah, we want to be motivated by this.’ And that’s what they’re using, so we’ve got to step up to the plate ourselves.”

Mayfield’s on his side, so Bitonio doesn’t mind. But the fact other guys are bringing their best because of Mayfield’s big personality makes his job harder sometimes, as well.

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm giving Allen a lot of credit for his play this year... I love a QB who ups his game in the 4th quarter, and one who wins. Granted, he isn't the one man show Jackson has been, but he's had a very good year so far and is trending upwards. It's hard to ask for more from a second year guy.

Allen has played one good team this year and looked terrible in that game. He's 29th in passer rating in the NFL this year, ahead of Daniel Jones (another guy you like, right?), Cam Newton, Baker Mayfield, and Josh Rosen. He's slightly improved over a rough rookie season, but not by much. He's been less effective as a runner this year, too, which is something to watch going forward. Teams definitely want to corral him and make him throw, and they want to do that for a very good reason. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CTM said:

The fixation on this board with Mayfield and now Daniel Jones has a ton to do with Darnold. I do not believe there would be all these long threads on these guys if Matt Ryan was our QB.

Isn't this just normal, though? Darnold was one of five QBs taken in the first round in 2018, and the team that shares a stadium with the Jets just took a QB high in 2019. Of course there will be comparisons. How many years were Brady and Manning fans discussing who was the better QB? 

This will be a subject around here for a very long time. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You have Rosen ahead of Allen, which as I said, destroys all your credibility. Last season and this offseason when I said Jackson was going to have a chance to be a really good QB, you laughed and said he was an injury waiting to happen. Now you have him first, LOL.

Have to wonder where those two guys would rank if the Bills drafted Rosen and the Cards drafted Allen. Rosen left one worst team in the league for another. The Bills have a solid team around Allen, and they're invested in him (no one's invested in Rosen, who'll almost certainly be on his third team in three years next season). 

Jackson has been great, but he also went to the best team, with the best coaching, and that stability shines thru. I think he'd look a lot different on the Jets/Cards/fish. 

8 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Darnold ahead of Mayfield is based on what exactly? Certainly not last year, that wasn't even close. Is it on this year? Darnold has played two games, one not good (insert mono explanation here), and one very good. So if you're moving him up ahead of Mayfield and Allen based on one game, I think I'm done here.

For the record, I wouldn't rate Darnold yet. He's missed more games than he's played this season. I think it's fair to give him an incomplete. 

That said, from the last month of last season thru yesterday, Darnold has played much better football than Baker Mayfield with a much worse team around him. I think Freddie Kitchens is probably one & done as a head coach (if he makes it that far), and back to coaching RBs in 2020. He's been terrible. Mayfield could still easily bounce back when the Browns improve the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

How does this using the QB ranking thing work exactly? People got upset with me for bringing up Darnold's '18 ranking in discussions last offseason. With others, like Allen and Jones it's a valid thing though?

I'm not knocking Darnold, I'm rooting for him to do well. I'd love to see him reel of 8 or nine wins this year. I just don't see how doing that and acknowledging that Mayfield, Allen and Jones, hell even a Kyler Murray or Luke Jackson are showing a lot of good things also bothers so many people. 

QB rating is imperfect, to say the least, but what other statistical measures do we have? The Jets QB currently is rated 20+ points higher than Allen, and 30+ higher than Mayfield. Darnold has the smaller sample size, which is why I'm hesitant to say anything definitive at this point, but I'm encouraged. Allen has played crap teams while the Browns have had a tough schedule so far. Wouldn't surprise me if Mayfield moves back ahead of Allen by the end of the season. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’d say you’re definitely holding Baker to a different standard.

The below are a few of the things that he’s been so good at this year. He’s even leading the league in one category, and ahead of a 2-time SB MVP in another!

CEF161E4-CB89-43A0-B875-A124F097C6FC.thumb.jpeg.2e07757f12dbf6f90772389c5fbf725f.jpeg

Josh Allen also has a lower comp% than Luke Falk. 

Mayfield balled out in a big win against the Ravens but has otherwise really sucked this year. Take that one game out of the equation and he's in Rosen territory. Is this a sophomore slump? Or is this an RGIII drop to permanent mediocrity? 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CTM said:

ANY/A is a good one.

It's really just an alternate QB rating system. Same basic numbers plugged in differently. 

On 12/17/2019 at 9:50 AM, The Crusher said:

“ A clean wut?”

- S. Darnold 

Lol. Sam probably didn’t have enough attempts from a clean pocket to qualify. 

• Upvote 1

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company