Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

But it could make him a more comfortable, more experienced quarterback.

Russell Wilson is 2 inches shorter than Mayfield yet is having an MVP-like season right now. This height talk has forever been overrated. 

He doesnt need to be a better athlete to gain composure in the pocket. Tom Brady isnt athletic, but has some of the best pocket presence you'll find. 

Because Russell Wilson is a phenomenal athlete who makes Mayfield look like a garden slug in comparison.

Wilson does David Copperfield-esque sh*t outside the pocket throwing on the run.

Drew Brees is the only sub-6’2 QB I’ve ever seen who can consistently stay in the pocket and play at a high level. 

This has been a MAJOR issue for Mayfield so far.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

It was a major issue for Brees in the beginning also. Mayfield had a much stronger 1st year than Brees and so far their 2nd year is looking extremely similar...

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2019 Cleveland Browns 5 161 90 55.9 32.2 1,247 7.7 249.4 4 2.5 8 5.0 89T 19 3 16 128 68.5

2018 Cleveland Browns 14 486 310 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 5.6 14 2.9 71 52 9 25 173

2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5

2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

That’s all good and great 

It still doesn’t change the fact that there have been plenty of 6’1 or smaller QB’s in the NFL and Brees is the only one who has had sustained success playing from the pocket.

Fran Tarkenton, Doug Flutie, Michael Vick, Jeff Garcia, Russell Wilson, etc.

All of them have needed to consistently roll out of the pocket to find open passing lanes. And every one of them was a better athlete than Mayfield with the exception of maybe Jeff Garcia, who I’ve compared Baker to in the past.

And so far, Mayfield is no exception. As soon as his first read is covered he’s patting the ball, panicking and looking to take off and play backyard football.

43 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Placing Wilsons success solely on his athletic ability is incorrect to do. He's a quarterback, first and foremost. Not acknowledging that simply to make a comparison to a guy who lacks that athleticism doesnt prove anything that wasnt already obvious. However, being athletic doesn't make you a quarterback. 

His athleticism provides another dimension to his game. That's true.

Is his success due solely to his athletic ability? No.

But if you think he would have nearly the same level of success as a strict pocket passer at 5’11...well, I strongly disagree.

29 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’d say you’re definitely holding Baker to a different standard.

The below are a few of the things that he’s been so good at this year. He’s even leading the league in one category, and ahead of a 2-time SB MVP in another!

CEF161E4-CB89-43A0-B875-A124F097C6FC.thumb.jpeg.2e07757f12dbf6f90772389c5fbf725f.jpeg

Yeah, but I mean...he has “moxy” in spades.

Nobody can take that away from him.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

A718B12A-9320-4D04-A397-9C8E3D93B6F2.thumb.jpeg.3e9cd07f8029450abae75f12c353692c.jpeg

Yikes!

95A954FF-063F-47C8-9C4C-563929F05C6E.jpeg.2863489ff5a35fdc526087a8da7275b7.jpeg

He looks like a little kid in a private detective Halloween costume.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

YOU need to stop. Baker so far has been trash I have no idea why you feel the need to defend him so much. 

LOL

I like Villain, but it’s funny how he pretends not to care but then is attracted like flies to sh*t whenever this thread is bumped.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im in this thead every week. I never said that I didnt care about the thread. And your partner tagged me, only to make claims as if he didnt care, similar to how you just found your way into this convo...like flies on shyte. 

The difference is that I dont pretend. Im sitting here having a good convo with @Jets723 , a man who made it known that he wants to talk and maintain a level of respect regarding the topic. 

You guys are in here to sling shyte. 

Of course

Baker Mayfield is a douchebag, playing like a Bottom 5 QB in the league, and I enjoy poking fun at him. Many of us do.

You just can’t stand the fact that many people dislike him, you’ve hung your hat on him being an amazing QB, and now he’s playing like poop on a stick.

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think the kid has talent as we saw last year but he had been disappointing.  It’s not all on him obviously but he shoulders blame too

Sure he has talent 

But I’ve said since before the ‘18 draft that he’s an arrogant douchebag and that I wouldn’t draft a 6’0 QB with both on and off the field concerns that high.

A bunch of people, including Villain, fell in love with him because of the whole “underdog”, “chip on his shoulder” persona. But that sh*t flies completely out the window when you’re a Heisman winner and the #1 pick in the draft.

Now, he just is what he is...a goofy douche who looks mostly horrid despite being surrounded by two pro-bowl receivers and a Top 5 RB.

Kitchens is undoubtedly a sh*tty HC, but Villain and plenty in the media loved the Browns promoting him to the position at the time.

I used to have sympathy for the Browns, then their fanbase turned into the most arrogant pricks this side of New England after a little bit of success last year. A year in which they still finished below .500 and 3rd in the division.

Now I immensely enjoy watching the fanbase and Baker squirm.

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Okay, so what.   Unlike the media who can pretend like they didnt promote and love it, I criticized the move the moment I seen that the position was too much for him, yet never acted like I didnt support the hire. 

What's hilarious here though, I said in 2016 to fire Macc, I said this past offseason that hiring Gase was a stupid move which was equivalent to when the Bills hired Rex. 

Why dont I see you mentioning that anywhere on this forum? 

Selective amnesia. 

You take this stuff very, very seriously lol.

Myself and plenty of others don’t like Baker, think he’s a dickhead, and derive a little entertainment by poking fun at him.

Why does this irritate you so much?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Just now, Jets723 said:

I certainly don’t feel bad for Baker that’s for sure mainly because his personality.  

He’s a goof

I realize that some people like him planting flags on the field, grabbing his dick and talking smack to the opposing team, wearing the karate kid bandanas, etc.

I personally think it makes you look like a complete clown, especially when you can’t back it up on the field. And this season he surely hasn’t.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Here's a reminder given your selective amnesia. 

If you noticed, You are either quoting me or referring to me. 

That's not being irritated because you dont like Baker, that's responding to you. 

Folks arent even honest haters. 

Yes, referring to you after Phil bumped the thread again, you swooped in without being tagged or quoted, and have been hanging around in the thread ever since.

And really, who cares? lol

You love Baker and many of us aren’t so fond of him.

Not such a big deal.

We’ll continue poking fun at him and you’ll continue defending him.

Such is life

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I hang around this thread every week after a game.  There is literally nothing out of the ordinary. I've been  doing this every week...and I find myself in here by myself when they win. 

That's a good question. You initially made it seem as if I somehow cared more than others. I was just pointing out that I cared when I was tagged or referred to. Those who arent fond of Baker say their peace...and usually when im not associated with their statements I dont say anything, unless I want to speak about what they said. 

Furthermore, you also present revisionist history, as you claimed that I popped in without being quoted, yet didnt mention that I do this every week, meanwhile disregarded your own selective amnesia along with the tags by your partner...who stopped tagging but is clearly still here loving posts, showing that he himself cant even listen to his own statement when he says "move along". 

So it's indeed a good question to ask. Hey, I quoted you in the Gase thread by the way. Maybe you can provide some praise. You've been rather slow to do that. 

Good lord lol

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But Darnold is Better than Baker, right?????

So shouldnt the better QB be raising the level of the players around him????

Your hate never makes sense. But when does hate ever make sense? 

Darnold has the better overall coaching and better defense. The Browns had arguably the worst coaching staff in the league. The jets Defense was top 10...7th to be exact, the Browns was 22nd. The Jets had a slightly better turnover differential. Those WR's you keep talking about, well OBJ was 2nd in the league in Wide Receiver errors, which makes sense as 12 of Baker's 21 INT's hit the hands of his receivers. 

The Browns have a better Oline, only because they have Joel Bitonio. JC Tretter is a an average C, but their other guard spot as well as their tackles are garbage.

LOL

The fact remains that Mayfield is surrounded by two pro-bowl receivers and a 1500 yard RB yet still looked like complete doo-doo this season.

I don’t care if Kitchens is the worst HC to ever step on an NFL sideline, that’s just pathetic. There’s no excuse for it.

You remain skeptical of Darnold, who is supposed to raise the level of scrubs like Vyncint Smith and Daniel Brown, yet you remain steadfast in your belief that Mayfield is a great QB despite falling flat on his face with the likes of OBJ, Landry and Chubb?

That’s a hootenanny and a half.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Baker Mayfield = Gardner Minshew

Headband and handlebar mustache included.

The only difference is a meaningless (relating to the pros) Heisman trophy and 177 slots in draft position.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company