Philc1

Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Hes looked like poop. Buying his own headlines?

On 9/25/2019 at 10:26 AM, HessStation said:

Especially when that’s suppose to be his MO, he’s not some kind of elite athlete with some elite skill set.

a. He was in the best offensive system in college football

b. He was an all guts and moxy overachiever 

with all the glory and fame his character seems more like a cross between Cutler/Sanchez/Newton and the all guts I’ll show them thing is morphing more into a defiant don’t you know who I am, thing

I was told Sunday that Mayfield and Rodgers are in every other commercial on game day. Sure sounds like a guy with previous character concerns who is acting like hes arrived already after a single very good rookie season. (Which was only a mildly above average season if you remove the rookie classification. )

He still had lots of work to do, still has seversl physical limitations to overcome. Looks like he spent too much of his time shilling his own brand and not enough working on taking the next step.

Good.

1 minute ago, KRL said:

CLE loved Mayfield's "swagger/attitude" and he did wonders for them last year.  But a
smart HC would've taken control of him last off-season and told him to cut it out with
all the off field social media "battles".  It takes too much work to be a good QB in
this league and nonsense should be cut out.  Mayfield is another example of how QB's
shouldn't be "annointed" as great because of ONE good year

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3052587/baker-mayfield

Well they basically let Baker pick his own HC so not a surprise the coach doesnt have control of him. Last night needs to be a heaping dose of humble pie if the Browns are going to pull it together.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Baker spent the offseason reading his own press clippings. Also, Odell's fumble, dear god that coach has zero control of that team.

It appears Dorsey's big mistake was letting Baker pick the HC

• Upvote 3

On 9/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, Baker has had 3 consecutive bad weeks.  Isn't it possible that, with a year of tape and an offseason to re-calibrate, the league has "caught up" to Mayfield?  

It'll be up to Baker to make adjustments/improvements, and perhaps he will.  But it's silly not to take new information into account when evaluating a player.  

Bad in preseason also. I think there's enough bad from Mayfield now and the information is newer that you start to discount last year, not the more recent stuff.

• Upvote 2

Curious how many of you can be so obsessed with getting VIllian to eat crow over being a Baker fan boy while at the same time believing Villian is the ridiculous one in this exchange 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

@Villain The Foe was hoping to get your thoughts on the only post of mine that you haven’t responded to in two days.

^ this guy is going to dream of villian tonight.

Again

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Curious how upset you’ll be that I’m having dreams about your special friend. 

Its bothered me the first few times but I've come to accept that Villian owns significant real estate in that tiny brain of yours

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Absolutely. He’s earned it with his repeated and obsessive nonsense.

Whats your excuse for loving me the way you have from thread to thread for so long?

Who are you again? 

42 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

That’s better. Let’s see how long you keep that up. If your inability to let go of the played out Joe Willy/teh gayzzz/topless men joke over the last few months is any indication, it won’t be long.

Apparently you know me far better than I know you.

So tell me, is there anyone on here with more than 10 posts you aren't stalking ??

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Holy hell, you finally make a friend and this is how you act? Pitiful.

Jealousy is s wasted emotion. 

I'm sure greenich jet will stalk you too if you say hi to him 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lol. Facts.

We're still waiting to see all that talent win in the league. None of these guys were part of winning organizations.

It takes more than talent

I just think its shocking how these guys express thier Darnold anxiety as Baker hatred.

Find a healthier outlet guys 

@mods  please move to the Darnold anxiety manifesting as Baker hate sub web

• Haha 1

@mods .. please move to the Obsessed with VillianTheFoe  sub forum

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I’m definitely not reading 17 pages of this, but could someone who’s followed along let me know if we’ve concluded that Baker’s awesome and it’s all the coaches fault, or is that just what we do with our players?

This is a trap.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Be better than the mafia / dungeons and dragons sub forum 

@Mods please move this to the vegetable crisper so crusher will never have to see it again

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Seems like CTM was right on the money...though we all knew.

And it started on the very first page of the thread with Jetsfan80 saying...

Yet, as usual, its NEVER Villain looking to turn this into a Sam Darnold thread to compensate anything. It's guys wishing that Mayfield sucks and isnt better than Darnold so you're wishing for him to be terrible....just like your commet suggests Slick. You know what would be better? Wishing that Mayfield was good, but Darnold being FAR superior. Why? Because being far superior than a person who's simply terrible just means that you're an average talent. You're only far superior to those who arent even good. But haters can never understand that because they're too busy in "hate on Mayfield and whoever likes him because...Sam Darnold" mode. 

Such haters. 

Great observation again, CTM. 

@mods, please move to the CTM was right main forum 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

This has turned into the creepiest thread in the history of the internet.  Holy sh*t.

News flash to all of you continually participating in the thread; you're all a bunch of hyper sensitive overly emotional teenage girls.  Not one side or the other, both sides.  You're all using emotion and feelings and every single time you say you're not but the point the finger or make it personal, guess what?  That officially means you are.

Totes. 

Epic selfing, butthole 

20191011_124331.jpg

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

How did you get this info? I would love to see how the "Baker Big Mouth" poster amount looks like. 

New feature. Click on the post count under the thread title on the forum landing page 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I also want it to be known that Mayfield has 3 separate individual threads on the 1st forum page...and I made none of them. 

They are all Darnold threads. If our QB was an established 8 year vet there wouldn't be any Mayfield threads

• Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't get your point. Mayfield has been poo this year after having a very good rookie year. We are enough games in this season that last year matters less when projecting him going forward.

Mayfield is an ass and I'm glad he's stinking up the field. I have no investment in him being good or even bad really. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This is exactly my point. So you trying to win upvotes with Villain by posting things like the below multiple times throughout the thread is a head-scratcher.

Mayfield being an ass and also being a limited football player has nothing to do with Darnold, no matter how much Villain and 14 try to make it, and no matter how many times you support it.

I don't understand your fixation with upvotes and butt fumbles but my post had nothing to do with either.

The fixation on this board with Mayfield and now Daniel Jones has a ton to do with Darnold. I do not believe there would be all these long threads on these guys if Matt Ryan was our QB.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course you're correct, but its not exactly a profound point.  The curious thing is the obsession coming from the Baker defenders.  After all, we never had a chance to draft Mayfield in the first place.  

I agree its rather obvious but it seems lost on some.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slats said:

QB rating is imperfect, to say the least, but what other statistical measures do we have? The Jets QB currently is rated 20+ points higher than Allen, and 30+ higher than Mayfield. Darnold has the smaller sample size, which is why I'm hesitant to say anything definitive at this point, but I'm encouraged. Allen has played crap teams while the Browns have had a tough schedule so far. Wouldn't surprise me if Mayfield moves back ahead of Allen by the end of the season. 

I like dvoa because it controls for level of opposition and does a better job measuring plays that contribute to wins 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

No fixation with upvotes or buttfumbles. Just wondering why you're trying to hard to get villain to like you, is all. Playing the JN equivalent of grab ass might add to your experience?

image.png.10a0d7ad5102f32f9657dc9c48110473.png

image.png.4dc4eddc1cf456e4124eab1df53d4545.png

image.png.1005dfbd631c9065b4965b5ca88851f5.png

Disagree. The fixation on this board with Mayfield stems from one poster. Most of us probably would just say he's an ass and sucks at football and move on like we do for a lot of other QBs. Pissing on Baker is more about taking victory laps because some of us didn't appreciate the constant spamming over the last two years.

The fixation on Jones has more to do with the board's inferiority complex with the Giants than it does with Darnold. The same stuff that's currently happening with DJ was happening with Eli well before Darnold played for the Jets.

Those posts are trolling you and your buddies, villian love is gravy

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's difficult to evaluate a QB on a team that's actively tanking.  

We KNOW for sure that Allen sucks (and always will suck), which is why he gets the bottom spot.  

Do we know? I mean im pretty sure but not many QBs that come out of college with Darnolds profile hit either. He was over 50%  likely to bust in qbase and Allen wasnt that much higher. Darnold was a lot closer to Allen than Mayfield 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not saying Darnold definitely won't bust.  I AM saying Allen WILL bust.  

QBase is very helpful but of course there's no perfect tool.  QBase hated DeShaun Watson because he had a lot of talent around him at Clemson.  

Right but I just dont understand being 100% convinced Allen will bust and simultaneously being extremely optimistic on Darnold. Seems like the basis for the former should dampen the latter.

I am far more optimistic about Darnold but I don't have Allen at 0% chance either 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Grandy said:

Imagine relying on Qbase for accurate projections when their top 2 QB's ever (Alex Smith, and Jared Goff) are glorified game managers, and they gave both Watson and Mahomes under a 10% chance to be elite. I mean, Joshua Dobbs has a higher ranking than both Watson, Darnold, and Wentz.

It's just as much a crapshoot as every other prospect ranking out there.

Imagine speaking so confidently about something you clearly know nothing about.

20191014_131544.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

To me, this list looks like a better predictor than most that I've seen.  7 of those 10 QBs have turned out to be undeniably excellent.  There's a boatload of Super Bowl appearances, SB wins and Pro Bowlers there.  The 3 who are questionable are Mayfield (too early to tell IMO), and Mariota and Leftwich who aren't busts but clearly aren't good starters.

Question - It says 1997-2017.  Does that include Baker Mayfield's 2017 college season even as he was drafted in 2018?  I'm assuming so.

Its also great at the other end, flagging guys like Hackenberg as undraftable.

This was through the 17 cfb season, so it includes Baker senior year

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Baker made himself a target for ridicule if his game ever dropped off.  I believe he had complete confidence that it would never happen.  Now he's got to reap what he sowed.  He may turn it back around but a little humility probably wasn't a bad thing for him.  

/thread 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It does? I just quickly checked out FO's site and didn't see it mention there. How does it assign value to supporting cast and standardize it across teams? In this instance, how is Jarvis Landry graded? He's WR2 on the browns comparatively, but would be a WR1 on other teams as a standalone, and might grade out as a WR3 on a team like the Texans (depending on how they base their valuations). Are the supporting cast valuations based on their respective success on each play?

uh, I don't think 80 is right. It adjsuts for the opponnent but not teammastes. Qbase deducts for playing with people who are going to be drafted earlier. That is different than DVOA

43 minutes ago, JiF said:

You think that post ends this 25 page thread?  lmfao

No, it should end the thread. It wont because this thread is one of many which the boards exercises its collective BPD

34 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I had to look.  Luke Falk completed 64.4% of his passes.  To his own teammates.  Ahead of Mahomes, Rodgers, even Danny Dimes.  Football is a funny sport.

Or it's why Chadpletion % is the most over rated QB stat

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_cmp_perc_career.htm

There are always going to be outliers, but that looks like a pretty solid predictor of success.  Don't let a few bad data points invalidate the whole metric for you.  

Having said that, here's a metric that seems to be much better for ranking QBs:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_adj_net_yds_per_att_career.htm

ANY/A is a good one.

19 minutes ago, slats said:

It's really just an alternate QB rating system. Same basic numbers plugged in differently. 

Sure. I mean so is QBR and DVOA. But each have different merits and some or more accurate than others.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company