Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

But it could make him a more comfortable, more experienced quarterback.

Russell Wilson is 2 inches shorter than Mayfield yet is having an MVP-like season right now. This height talk has forever been overrated. 

He doesnt need to be a better athlete to gain composure in the pocket. Tom Brady isnt athletic, but has some of the best pocket presence you'll find. 

Because Russell Wilson is a phenomenal athlete who makes Mayfield look like a garden slug in comparison.

Wilson does David Copperfield-esque sh*t outside the pocket throwing on the run.

Drew Brees is the only sub-6’2 QB I’ve ever seen who can consistently stay in the pocket and play at a high level. 

This has been a MAJOR issue for Mayfield so far.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Because Russell Wilson is a phenomenal athlete who makes Mayfield look like a garden slug in comparison.

Wilson does David Copperfield-esque sh*t outside the pocket throwing on the run.

Drew Brees is the only sub-6’2 QB I’ve ever seen who can consistently stay in the pocket and play at a high level. 

It was a major issue for Brees in the beginning also. Mayfield had a much stronger 1st year than Brees and so far their 2nd year is looking extremely similar...

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2019 Cleveland Browns 5 161 90 55.9 32.2 1,247 7.7 249.4 4 2.5 8 5.0 89T 19 3 16 128 68.5

2018 Cleveland Browns 14 486 310 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 5.6 14 2.9 71 52 9 25 173

2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5

2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

19 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, getting away from folks obsession, in other news, its good to see some independent folks expose Sherman for that stupid lie he told while also comparing how he claimed that it was some "college sh t" at the same time showing how Nick Bosa waites 2 years to do some "college sh t" by planting the flag after the game...in his own stadium. 

Folks and even players on the low really love the Mayfield antics. 

You cant lie and claim that what he did was college stuff while watching teammates do college stuff in the pros that they were waiting so long to do. 

That's almost like a compliment to Mayfield actually. ?

I really love this league! 

....and straight to your obsession. LOL

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jgb said:

It was a major issue for Brees in the beginning also. Mayfield had a much stronger 1st year than Brees and so far their 2nd year is looking extremely similar...

Year Team G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
2019 Cleveland Browns 5 161 90 55.9 32.2 1,247 7.7 249.4 4 2.5 8 5.0 89T 19 3 16 128 68.5

2018 Cleveland Browns 14 486 310 63.8 34.7 3,725 7.7 266.1 27 5.6 14 2.9 71 52 9 25 173

2003 San Diego Chargers 11 356 205 57.6 32.4 2,108 5.9 191.6 11 3.1 15 4.2 68T 28 5 21 178 67.5

2002 San Diego Chargers 16 526 320 60.8 32.9 3,284 6.2 205.2 17 3.2 16 3.0 52T 40 4 24 180 76.9

That’s all good and great 

It still doesn’t change the fact that there have been plenty of 6’1 or smaller QB’s in the NFL and Brees is the only one who has had sustained success playing from the pocket.

Fran Tarkenton, Doug Flutie, Michael Vick, Jeff Garcia, Russell Wilson, etc.

All of them have needed to consistently roll out of the pocket to find open passing lanes. And every one of them was a better athlete than Mayfield with the exception of maybe Jeff Garcia, who I’ve compared Baker to in the past.

And so far, Mayfield is no exception. As soon as his first read is covered he’s patting the ball, panicking and looking to take off and play backyard football.

A few things have become really obvious after reading this thread.

There are a LOT of people here who are really worried about Sam Darnold, and it kills them that Mayfield had some success and out played him last season. They're desperate to see their guy get on the field and show he can be the FQB this team desperately needs. They're pissed that Sam turned into the Kissing Bandit and ruined the '19 season for the Jets. They're upset that other guys like Jackson and Allen are playing and showing the improvement they hoped Sam would have.

It wasn't supposed to be this way was it? Jackson and Allen were supposed to be "injuries waiting to happen" yet Darnold is the one who can't get on the field. Mayfield was short and a punk. He'd crash and burn. Yet he's a star, and Madison Avenue loves him. Thankfully for them, he's had his struggles in a couple of games this year, so they're taking whatever joy they can from that. Mayfield struggling against the 49ers has been the high point of their year.

Cheer up though fellas. Sam is back this week, and we can finally get to see HIM actually play football. Imagine that.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

A few things have become really obvious after reading this thread.

There are a LOT of people here who are really worried about Sam Darnold, and it kills them that Mayfield had some success and out played him last season. They're desperate to see their guy get on the field and show he can be the FQB this team desperately needs. They're pissed that Sam turned into the Kissing Bandit and ruined the '19 season for the Jets. They're upset that other guys like Jackson and Allen are playing and showing the improvement they hoped Sam would have.

It wasn't supposed to be this way was it? Jackson and Allen were supposed to be "injuries waiting to happen" yet Darnold is the one who can't get on the field. Mayfield was short and a punk. He'd crash and burn. Yet they're upset he's a star, and Madison Avenue loves him. Thankfully for them, he's had his struggles in a couple of games this year, so they're taking whatever joy they can from that. Mayfield struggling against the 49ers has been the high point of their year.

Cheer up though fellas. Sam is back this week, and we can finally get to see him actually play football. Imagine that.

Lolz.  What delusions!  Nicely done.  Bravo.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

That’s all good and great 

It still doesn’t change the fact that there have been plenty of 6’1 or smaller QB’s in the NFL and Brees is the only one who has had sustained success playing from the pocket.

Fran Tarkenton, Doug Flutie, Michael Vick, Jeff Garcia, Russell Wilson, etc.

All of them have needed to consistently roll out of the pocket to find open passing lanes. And every one of them was a better athlete than Mayfield with the exception of maybe Jeff Garcia, who I’ve compared Baker to in the past.

And so far, Mayfield is no exception. As soon as his first read is covered he’s patting the ball, panicking and looking to take off and play backyard football.

Yeah I'm not arguing that Mayfield is Brees, the post just made me curious and was surprised how similar their second years as starter are and figured I'd share it.

But it could make him a more comfortable, more experienced quarterback. Russell Wilson is 2 inches shorter than Mayfield yet is having an MVP-like season right now. This height talk has forever been overrated. 

He doesnt need to be a better athlete to gain composure in the pocket. Tom Brady isnt athletic, but has some of the best pocket presence you'll find. 

Russell Wilson understands how to create sight lines ala Brees to compensate. Russell also does not flush out of the pocket until he has to, and he uses his athleticism to create opportunities once the play breaks down. He avoids the sack and at that point the receivers have completed their routes and are now working against a confused D that is covering beyond the design of the play, hence guys are open.

Mayfield is clearing out of the pocket before there’s pressure. The routes are still developing so by the time Mayfield clears they’re still in their routes and it gives the DL time to catch up to him outside of the pocket before the routes and coverages break down. That is why it’s imperative the QB stand in the pocket until it actually breaks down. From what I’ve seen of Mayfield it’s my opinion he’s breaking out of the pocket because he can’t see the field clearly beyond his first read. I don’t think that he’s mentally incompetent to go to his2nd/3rd reads (vs a guy like Geno who just can’t comprehend what he’s seeing), I just don’t think he sees them clearly. He’s an accurate thrower who has thrown a lot of off target passes. In my opinion that’s because he’s throwing to a spot he feels his WR should be vs actually seeing where the receiver is nor the coverage in the area. In other words he’s throwing up prayers. He needs to learn how to create and utilize his sight lines the way Brees does because he does not have the athleticism of Wilson to bail himself out. If he doesn’t his career is going to be short (no pun intended).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

@Untouchable is 100% on the money.  

People's dislike of Mayfield has been assumed by some to be innately tied to insecurity about Darnold.  Maybe that's true for some, but certainly not all.  Huge assumption there by those who think Mayfield criticism is motivated primarily by Darnold insecurity.

Does anyone stop to think that people can think Myafield is a jerk and an overrated player independently of their thoughts and opinions on Darnold?  

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Russell Wilson understands how to create sight lines ala Brees to compensate. Russell also does not flush out of the pocket until he has to, and he uses his athleticism to create opportunities once the play breaks down. He avoids the sack and at that point the receivers have completed their routes and are now working against a confused D that is covering beyond the design of the play, hence guys are open.

Mayfield is clearing out of the pocket before there’s pressure. The routes are still developing so by the time Mayfield clears they’re still in their routes and it gives the DL time to catch up to him outside of the pocket before the routes and coverages break down. That is why it’s imperative the QB stand in the pocket until it actually breaks down. From what I’ve seen of Mayfield it’s my opinion he’s breaking out of the pocket because he can’t see the field clearly beyond his first read. I don’t think that he’s mentally incompetent to go to his2nd/3rd reads (vs a guy like Geno who just can’t comprehend what he’s seeing), I just don’t think he sees them clearly. He’s an accurate thrower who has throw a lot of off target passes. In my opinion that’s because he’s throwing to a spot he feels his WR should be vs actually seeing where the receiver is nor the coverage in the area. In other words he’s throwing up prayers. He needs to learn how to create and utilize his sight lines the way Brees does because he does not have the athleticism of Wilson to bail himself out. If he doesn’t his career is going to be short (no pun intended).

Well stated.  Agree 100%.  Now it's up to the coaching staff and Mayfield's willingness to correct these issues.  That is where my biggest concern over Mayfield would be if I were a Browns fan.  I really don't think the Kitchenette coaching staff has the coaching brains, temperament or even guts to effectively coach coach this kid.  I guess we will find out.  They have a big job to tackle with Mayfield and a lot will depend on Mayfield's acceptance/defiance of what they do.  

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

other than Parcells and maybe Weeb 

Rex Ryan is the best head coach this team has ever had 

and in fact he won more playoff games than Parcells and Weeb

let that sad fact sink in for a second

and then he lost the team.  Whatever good there was, was very short-lived.  Good turned to complete sht-show in a hurry due to his and Tanny's personnel preferences.  (i.e. Burress and Derrick Mason were Rex's guys and they were instrumental in destroying the clubhouse.)

57 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why do you and Villain always have to equate the dislike for Mayfield to people having doubts about Darnold?

Maybe it’s just because the kid is an arrogant douchebag?

48 minutes ago, Dcat said:

People's dislike of Mayfield has been assumed by some to be innately tied to insecurity about Darnold.  Maybe that's true for some, but certainly not all.  Huge assumption there by those who think Mayfield criticism is motivated primarily by Darnold insecurity.

Does anyone stop to think that people can think Myafield is a jerk and an overrated player independently of their thoughts and opinions on Darnold?  

Been fighting this battle with 14 for weeks. At this point, he gets it. He's either trolling or simply dense.

55 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Why do you and Villain always have to equate the dislike for Mayfield to people having doubts about Darnold?

Drunkenly running from the cops, grabbing his dick and shouting “f*ck you” at the Kansas sideline, throwing a football at a group of TCU players, the whole “woke up feeling dangerous” line, the photo shoots of him shirtless standing next to a tiger and a Mercedes, publicly shaming the Giants’ selection of Daniel Jones, etc.

The list isn’t exactly short. He’s given plenty of reasons for people to not hold him in the highest regard.

It seems like you guys like him because of the whole “chip on his shoulder” underdog routine. Except that “underdog” label gets completely thrown out the window once you become the #1 overall pick in the draft.

He’s a goof. And yes, it’s funny watching him struggle.

barack obama mic drop GIF

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

and then he lost the team.  Whatever good there was, was very short-lived.  Good turned to complete sht-show in a hurry due to his and Tanny's personnel preferences.  (i.e. Burress and Derrick Mason were Rex's guys and they were instrumental in destroying the clubhouse.)

maybe it's not the coaches

maybe this franchise's role in the league is to employ all the a-holes and ne-er do wells

so when we lose it's funnier

I know this is a conspiracy theory... but then again how do we explain Antonio Cromartie? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Interesting comparison.

Not crazy at all, but Brees has a demeanor that works perfectly with his physical limitations and had no where near as much pressure on him as this guy does.

This guy is already in more commercials than just about everyone not named Aaron Rodgers. How long is that sustainable without him suddenly being awesome? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Do butthurt whiners usually admit that the whining is caused by butthurt?

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Placing Wilsons success solely on his athletic ability is incorrect to do. He's a quarterback, first and foremost. Not acknowledging that simply to make a comparison to a guy who lacks that athleticism doesnt prove anything that wasnt already obvious. However, being athletic doesn't make you a quarterback. 

His athleticism provides another dimension to his game. That's true.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Lol. Facts.

We're still waiting to see all that talent win in the league. None of these guys were part of winning organizations.

It takes more than talent

I just think its shocking how these guys express thier Darnold anxiety as Baker hatred.

Find a healthier outlet guys 

26 minutes ago, CTM said:

I just think its shocking how these guys express thier Darnold anxiety as Baker hatred.

Find a healthier outlet guys 

I've noticed it as well. 

Truth be told, it's about time that both Jets and Browns fans receive something nice.

It's not easy rooting for either of these teams. 

Darnold has talent, but he suffers from the same thing Mayfield is right now. Everyone mentions all this talent, but not a word on that offensive line. It starts and ends there. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Placing Wilsons success solely on his athletic ability is incorrect to do. He's a quarterback, first and foremost. Not acknowledging that simply to make a comparison to a guy who lacks that athleticism doesnt prove anything that wasnt already obvious. However, being athletic doesn't make you a quarterback. 

His athleticism provides another dimension to his game. That's true.

Is his success due solely to his athletic ability? No.

But if you think he would have nearly the same level of success as a strict pocket passer at 5’11...well, I strongly disagree.

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Is his success due solely to his athletic ability? No.

But if you think he would have nearly the same level of success as a strict pocket passer at 5’11...well, I strongly disagree.

You can strongly disagree, but the bottomline is that there's a difference between the Cam Newton's of the world and the Russell Wilson's. 

Russell Wilson with Baker Mayfield athleticism would still be one of the most prolific passers this game has ever seen. Being a strict pocket passer is understanding how to move within the pocket. Which is why I also mentioned Tom Brady earlier. Having a feel for the pocket is a talent, a talent that isnt based on height but intuition. 

It's not Wilson's athleticism, but his intuition which makes him so dangerous. 

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Drunkenly running from the cops, grabbing his dick and shouting “f*ck you” at the Kansas sideline, throwing a football at a group of TCU players, the whole “woke up feeling dangerous” line, the photo shoots of him shirtless standing next to a tiger and a Mercedes, publicly shaming the Giants’ selection of Daniel Jones, etc.

The list isn’t exactly short. He’s given plenty of reasons for people to not hold him in the highest regard.

It seems like you guys like him because of the whole “chip on his shoulder” underdog routine. Except that “underdog” label gets completely thrown out the window once you become the #1 overall pick in the draft.

He’s a goof. And yes, it’s funny watching him struggle.

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

barack obama mic drop GIF

I dont "always" have to equate these things. Actually, it's only something that I acknowledge as fact...nothing more. I won't bother to do this, but if I really wanted to, I could find atleast 20 different posts from people who compare the two QB's and that becomes more common after losses by Mayfield. 

Acknowledging this isnt always equating. It's just a fact. I generally dont compare the two guys. Have I done it? Sure. But it's nothing that's a constant for me because it's nothing I've really ever cared to do as some way to make a long standing point on this forum. It's just not necessary. 

Folks drop mic's as if Baker Mayfield runs from cops as a drunkard every weekend. Based on how often we hear about this 2 year old incident, you'd swear this happened more than once, or just this past weekend....EVERY weekend that passes. I dont care about this to the point of making it a conversation piece 2 years running. It's asinine that people even do it.

This is basically projecting. There is an entire underlined paragraph full of things that I dont even care about, because it isnt football. That's the soap-opera version of football media coverage other folks eat up. And I bet if it wasnt found out that Richard Sherman was a liar, not shaking hands would have been part of that paragraph. 

Folks are talking about a grown man taking photos with a tiger...shirtless. Why are other men even interested in this? I thought pictures like this was to grab the attention of women?  

This is all irrelevant stuff that folks who are interested in soap-opera's get caught up in. Nothing to sit back and drop a presidential mic over. 

It's just so asinine 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jgb said:

You can not compare QB numbers in the NFL today with 2002. This is especially so when the 2002 QB was playing for Marty Shottenheimer.

6 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You can not compare QB numbers in the NFL today with 2002. This is especially so when the 2002 QB was playing for Marty Shottenheimer.

Yes you can. It's still the QB position spoken of here. The game hasnt changed so drastically to the point that 2002 NFL football is an entirely different sport. 

And Baker Mayfield is playing for Freddie Kitchens, a man who doesnt have a history to even criticize.