Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

26 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I beg to differ. Comparing QB numbers in the NFL from 2002 to 2019 is like comparing baseball homerun numbers for particular player in 2019 and 1992, when the MLB totals were 6,776 to 3,038. 

We’ll have to muddle through without your input, I guess. 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Surprising.  As we've seen Mayfield perform well with another coach, and yet, we absolve our players of blame for their own ineptitude, despite never succeeding before or after, with different coaching.   Very, very interesting.

Yea but this entire roster are all collectively having the worst season of their careers and have all 100% played better under different coaching.

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You forgot the step where Baker gets 4,000 endorsement deals and idiots in the media call him a better Drew Brees because he beat the jets

Actually, it was Drew Brees who said he believes Baker would be better than Drew Brees.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I’m definitely not reading 17 pages of this, but could someone who’s followed along let me know if we’ve concluded that Baker’s awesome and it’s all the coaches fault, or is that just what we do with our players?

This is a trap.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Did realize he was playing 1 on 11 out there...

If the QB isn't an NFL player, hard for anyone else to look like one.  Seeing Luke Falk play is the reason you didn't see Hackenberg play.

I'm wasn't a fan of the Gase signing, but Jets fans haven't skipped a beat since Bowles.  Sooner or later, you'd think it would dawn on some people that bringing Macc's pop warner squad to an NFL game isn't going to produce results, regardless of the coach.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You take that back right now Phil!

They don’t want a debate. First it was media is dumb for comparing Baker and Drew Brees. When it was pointed out that it was Brees himself making this comparison, they shift to “Drew Brees is wrong.” Trying to nail Jello to the wall would be more productive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

If the QB isn't an NFL player, hard for anyone else to look like one.  Seeing Luke Falk play is the reason you didn't see Hackenberg play.

I'm wasn't a fan of the Gase signing, but Jets fans haven't skipped a beat since Bowles.  Sooner or later, you'd think it would dawn on some people that bringing Macc's pop warner squad to an NFL game isn't going to produce results, regardless of the coach.

Coaching doesnt matter sounds soooo much smarter than it's all on the QB.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Yep. Good QBs make their own weapons not other way around. 

52 minutes ago, jgb said:

They don’t want a debate. First it was media is dumb for comparing Baker and Drew Brees. When it was pointed out that it was Brees himself making this comparison, they shift to “Drew Brees is wrong.” Trying to nail Jello to the wall would be more productive.

There's a few who can, but generally that's out of the question. Too much emotions involved constantly. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

NFL vets fed up with Baker??According to B/R Gridiron’s Mike Freeman, a lot of players in the league think Baker is too cockyand acts like a better player than he is.

One defensive player with a ring said “He acts like he’s won 10 Super Bowls. He hasn’t won any.”

That's so cool for Mayfield and his management team that this writer got an anonymous player to give him a quote like that, isn't it? It keeps his name in the spotlight which is what they need to keep growing is brand. Madison Avenue already loves him, but stories like this help do their work for them.

I said last year Baker had a Namath-like quality about him, but even I'm surprised how quickly a kid who played at Oklahoma and was drafted by Cleveland could become such a mega star so quickly. It's amazing, but after only playing, what? 17 games? He's the NFL equivalent of Lebron James to the NBA. He's all people want to talk about. Fans, other players, social media... Hell, even the message boards of other teams are filled with threads about him.

Good for him. He just has to continue to work hard and hopefully get better as the season goes on. He needs to keep working though, nobody cares anymore that he set a rookie TD record, or won the OROY except those companies lining up to make him the face of their national campaigns. Mayfield may have won the off field battle, but the NFL needs this guy to win it on the field also. Brady is getting old, the end is near. The Mayfield's and Mahomes' are the future. The league needs them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That's so cool for Mayfield and his management team that this writer got an anonymous player to give him a quote like that, isn't it? It keeps his name in the spotlight which is what they need to keep growing is brand. Madison Avenue already loves him, but stories like this help do their work for them.

I said last year Baker had a Namath-like quality about him, but even I'm surprised how quickly a kid who played at Oklahoma and was drafted by Cleveland could become such a mega star so quickly. It's amazing, but after only playing, what? 17 games? He's the NFL equivalent of Lebron James to the NBA. He's all people want to talk about. Fans, other players, social media... Hell, even the message boards of other teams are filled with threads about him.

Good for him. He just has to continue to work hard and hopefully get better as the season goes on. He needs to keep working though, nobody cares anymore that he set a rookie TD record, or won the OROY except those companies lining up to make him the face of their national campaigns. Mayfield may have won the off field battle, but the NFL needs this guy to win it on the field also. Brady is getting old, the end is near. The Mayfield's and Mahomes' are the future. The league needs them.

Dude is the Howard Stern of the league. He's getting mega coverage. 

Richard Sherman's "Fake News" dominated Monday's cycle, and many football forums, just because it involved Baker Mayfield. 

You can most definitely monetize that. Folks dont even realize that their hate is being used for a benefit.