Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

28 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Dude is the Howard Stern of the league. He's getting mega coverage. 

Richard Sherman's "Fake News" dominated Monday's cycle, and many football forums, just because it involved Baker Mayfield. 

You can most definitely monetize that. Folks dont even realize that their hate is being used for a benefit. 

You can see it when you're watching any NFL game. How much time goes by before you see a commercial with Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and now Mayfield and Mahomes? The torch is always passed to someone new after a period of time, and it's clear who it's being passed to now.

Some guys just have star quality, most don't. The ones that do, everything revolves around them. Other players, be they possible up and comers like Bosa, or fading stars like Richard Sherman get 5 minutes in the spotlight just by an association with him. 

Mayfield is becoming what every athlete dreams of being. A break out star. Companies who have no interest in football are not only becoming aware of his name, they're lining up to get a seat at his table. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You can see it when you're watching any NFL game. How much time goes by before you see a commercial with Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and now Mayfield and Mahomes? The torch is always passed to someone new after a period of time, and it's clear who it's being passed to now.

Some guys just have star quality, most don't. The ones that do, everything revolves around them. Other players, be they possible up and comers like Bosa, or fading stars like Richard Sherman get 5 minutes in the spotlight just by an association with him. 

Mayfield is becoming what every athlete dreams of being. A break out star. Companies who have no interest in football are not only becoming aware of his name, they're lining up to get a seat at his table. 

What's bigger than a break out star? A guy everyone is waiting and hoping to fail. 

They'll pay more attention to him than folks who actually like him. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What's bigger than a break out star? A guy everyone is waiting and hoping to fail. 

They'll pay more attention to him than folks who actually like him. 

So what you're saying here is, people tend to fixate on those they consider "Villains"?  ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

So what you're saying here is, people tend to fixate on those they consider "Villains"?  ?

Indeed. And when they're locked in, what they never figure out is that you own their mind for as long as you'd like. 

Mayfield could take a piss in the woods and haters would find a way to associate it with a disorderly conduct charge and running from the police of 2 years ago. 

Speaking of 2 years ago, you see how bad Mayfield mindf_cked Nick Bosa?

All that mocking Bosa did only showed how Mayfield completely owned the minds of that entire Ohio St. nation in College for years. Bosa thought about that day for 2 years...and i'll give him credit, he got his day. But Mayfield probably forgot about that 49'ers game by Monday, which completely deflates all that effort and thought Bosa put in. You can almost tell that Bosa was looking in the mirror practicing for the day he can do that flag pose after a sack. 

Talk about owning the minds of your opponent. Beautiful troll job by Mayfield. Though I will say, if he's going to stay alive he'll need a better group of Tackles. They are doing him NO favors! 

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Indeed. And when they're locked in, what they never figure out is that you own their mind for as long as you'd like. 

Mayfield could take a piss in the woods and haters would find a way to associate it with a disorderly conduct charge and running from the police of 2 years ago. 

Speaking of 2 years ago, you see how bad Mayfield mindf_cked Nick Bosa?

All that mocking Bosa did only showed how Mayfield completely owned the minds of that entire Ohio St. nation in College for years. Bosa thought about that day for 2 years...and i'll give him credit, he got his day. But Mayfield probably forgot about that 49'ers game by Monday, which completely deflates all that effort and thought Bosa put in. You can almost tell that Bosa was looking in the mirror practicing for the day he can do that flag pose after a sack. 

Talk about owning the minds of your opponent. Beautiful troll job by Mayfield. Though I will say, if he's going to stay alive he'll need a better group of Tackles. They are doing him NO favors! 

I'm sure the people mentioning us in a thread like this one don't realize it, but its so sad and obvious when they feel the need to tag either one of us, all they're really telling us is that we've been in their head for months. Just like Bosa and Mayfield. 

The funny thing is, it has nothing to do with us. It's about their needing Mayfield to fail to make them feel better about another QB's struggles. It's usually them that start these Baker threads, and they're the ones who bump them when he loses or plays badly. When have you ever bumped it when he's won, or played well? I know I never have.

Yet we're the trolls.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I'm sure the people mentioning us in a thread like this one don't realize it, but its so sad and obvious when they feel the need to tag either one of us, all they're really telling us is that we've been in their head for months. Just like Bosa and Mayfield. 

The funny thing is, it has nothing to do with us. It's about their needing Mayfield to fail to make them feel better about another QB's struggles. It's usually them that start these Baker threads, and they're the ones who bump them when he loses or plays badly. When have you ever bumped it when he's won, or played well? I know I never have.

Yet we're the trolls.

This is one of the most "Woe is me" posts ever written.  You post constantly all offseason and the first quarter of the season about Mayfield > Darnold and everyone else is the troll for calling you out when Baker looks like garbage.  

Get over yourself.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is one of the most "Woe is me" posts ever written.  You post constantly all offseason and the first quarter of the season about Mayfield > Darnold and everyone else is the troll for calling you out when Baker looks like garbage.  

Get over yourself.  

I think what I actually said was Mayfield had a better rookie year then Darnold, which he did.

But do I think he's still better then Darnold? That's easy. Of course he is. Nothing has changed, and won't until Sam gets on the field.

BTW I've always replied to you in a respectful way, and you've always done the same to me, even when we don't agree on a topic. We've also had a lot of laughs together talking about other things. Yet whenever its about Mayfield your posts to me have a really nasty tone to them. Why is that? Does my having a different take on him or Darnold really bother you that much?

• Haha 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I think what I said was Mayfield had a better rookie year then Darnold, which he did. But do I think he's still better then Darnold? That's easy. Of course he is. Nothing has changed, and won't until Sam gets on the field.

BTW I've always replied to you in a respectful way, and you've always done the same to me, even when we don't agree on a topic. We've had a lot of laughs together also talking about other things. Yet whenever its about Mayfield your posts have a really nasty tone to them. Why is that? Does my having a different take on him or Darnold really bother you that much?

It bothers me that you talk about Baker Mayfield in nearly every thread then whine when people complain about your posting.  We get it, dude.  Find some new topics to discuss.  Sam is back this week.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think what I actually said was Mayfield had a better rookie year then Darnold, which he did.

But do I think he's still better then Darnold? That's easy. Of course he is. Nothing has changed, and won't until Sam gets on the field.

BTW I've always replied to you in a respectful way, and you've always done the same to me, even when we don't agree on a topic. We've also had a lot of laughs together talking about other things. Yet whenever its about Mayfield your posts to me have a really nasty tone to them. Why is that? Does my having a different take on him or Darnold really bother you that much?

You're killing me smalls. ?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It bothers me that you talk about Baker Mayfield in nearly every thread then whine when people complain about your posting.  We get it, dude.  Find some new topics to discuss.  Sam is back this week.  

This is a thread about Baker, and you're saying it bothers you that I'm talking about him here. That's like me saying it bothers me that you're talking about Macc in a Macc thread.

I think we talked about this the other day. How many different threads have you brought Macc into?

How many threads has T0m brought Jamal into? I could go on, but do you see what I'm saying?

You don't want to be the guy who gets pissy at someone for doing something you do yourself, do you?

17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This is a thread about Baker, and you're saying it bothers you that I'm talking about him here. That's like me saying it bothers me that you're talking about Macc in a Macc thread.

And yet you whine about people tagging you in this thread after another terrible game from Baker?  You're still gushing about the dude and comparing him to Pat Mahomes.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet you whine about people tagging you after another terrible game from Baker?  You're still gushing about the dude and comparing him to Pat Mahomes.

I'm discussing the topic (Mayfield) with Villain. You're the one who jumped in and started whining that it bothered you.

If you took the time to comprehend what you were reading, I said they (Mahomes and Mayfield) were comparable MARKETING wise, and they are. Watch any commercials lately? Madison Avenue loves them.

Just now, 14 in Green said:

I'm discussing the topic (Mayfield) with Villain. You're the one who jumped in and started whining that it bothered you.

You called the people who tagged you "trolls", dude.  If you want to have an uninterrupted private chat with Villain use the PM option.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You called the people who tagged you "trolls", dude.  If you want to have an uninterrupted private chat with Villain use the PM option.  

Or I could do it in the thread where people are trolling me or villain.

Funny how you're so quick to call me a troll, but get upset when I use the term.

BTW this was fun, but I'm done. Gonna go watch the 'Cuse. Have a nice night.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Or I could do it in the thread where people are trolling me or villain.

Funny how you're so quick to call me a troll, but get upset when I use the term.

BTW this was fun, but I'm done. Gonna go watch the 'Cuse. Have a nice night.

You're not a troll.  More of an annoyance. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're not a troll.  More of an annoyance. 

Right back at ya.

I'll take that though, cause I was starting to worry this was all about you and your feelings. You just can't seem to let them go, or realize I don't really care either way.

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

"Troll" has become the online equivalent of calling someone "racist" in a debate. The utterer thinks it grants them an instant win, but in reality it says a lot more about them than about the other person.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Big_Slick said:

Eat crap - troll. Haker sucks dick and Sam will be far superior to Faker in the seasons to come.

Seems like CTM was right on the money...though we all knew.

On 10/10/2019 at 3:03 AM, CTM said:

@mods  please move to the Darnold anxiety manifesting as Baker hate sub web

And it started on the very first page of the thread with Jetsfan80 saying...

Villain will turn this into a Darnold thread to compensate.  

Yet, as usual, its NEVER Villain looking to turn this into a Sam Darnold thread to compensate anything. It's guys wishing that Mayfield sucks and isnt better than Darnold so you're wishing for him to be terrible....just like your commet suggests Slick. You know what would be better? Wishing that Mayfield was good, but Darnold being FAR superior. Why? Because being far superior than a person who's simply terrible just means that you're an average talent. You're only far superior to those who arent even good. But haters can never understand that because they're too busy in "hate on Mayfield and whoever likes him because...Sam Darnold" mode. 

Such haters. 

Great observation again, CTM. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Seems like CTM was right on the money...though we all knew.

And it started on the very first page of the thread with Jetsfan80 saying...

Yet, as usual, its NEVER Villain looking to turn this into a Sam Darnold thread to compensate anything. It's guys wishing that Mayfield sucks and isnt better than Darnold so you're wishing for him to be terrible....just like your commet suggests Slick. You know what would be better? Wishing that Mayfield was good, but Darnold being FAR superior. Why? Because being far superior than a person who's simply terrible just means that you're an average talent. You're only far superior to those who arent even good. But haters can never understand that because they're too busy in "hate on Mayfield and whoever likes him because...Sam Darnold" mode. 

Such haters. 

Great observation again, CTM. 

@mods, please move to the CTM was right main forum 

• Haha 2

this whole "owning" business is a lotta new-age bunk...

obssession is obssession

for me? a whole lotta Baker talk on a NYJ forum means those OP's are posting in the wrong place.

also, all this "hate" talk all the time...     when did thinking someone who is a loudmouth a-hole, seperately from whatever public field they may be in...     or critically evalautaing someone= hate?

nah humbug! ( preeemptive strike b4 holiday season)

20 hours ago, jgb said:

They don’t want a debate. First it was media is dumb for comparing Baker and Drew Brees. When it was pointed out that it was Brees himself making this comparison, they shift to “Drew Brees is wrong.” Trying to nail Jello to the wall would be more productive.

Can’t we just agree both the media and Drew Brees were wrong?

Just now, Philc1 said:

Can’t we just agree both the media and Drew Brees were wrong?

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes Baker had a better rookie year and Sam will have a better career

5 hours ago, jgb said:

"Troll" has become the online equivalent of calling someone "racist" in a debate. The utterer thinks it grants them an instant win, but in reality it says a lot more about them than about the other person.

How about pointing out that Baker has the 3rd lowest qb rating in the NFL despite having OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Njoku?  Does that grant an “instant win?”

13 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

If you took the time to comprehend what you were reading, I said they (Mahomes and Mayfield) were comparable MARKETING wise, and they are. Watch any commercials lately? Madison Avenue loves them.

Madison Avenue loved Vince Young too

F07EE1DF-819D-4DFB-BA60-54D95964063D.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How about pointing out that Baker has the 3rd lowest qb rating in the NFL despite having OBJ, Landry, Chubb and Njoku?  Does that grant an “instant win?”

Finally an actual fact to debate. 

Baker’s sophomore slump would be explained away as easily as a fart in a dog kennel were we talking about a Jets QB. Browns have an awful OL (true) and Freddie Kitchens is way over his head as HC (also true).

How can we denigrate a QB who has shown he can perform at a high level and is having a sophomore slump while praising to the rafters a QB who has failed to launch thus far?

I’m not saying Mayfield is great or even better thank Darnold, I’m just saying we don’t have enough information to say he sucks, either. Apparently that makes me a Darnold hater or Baker lover.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Finally an actual fact to debate. I am curious how the excuses would go if Baker was our QB... oh right, Browns have an awful OL (true) and Freddie Kitchens is way over his head as HC (also true).

Would you prefer a QB who has shown he can perform at a high level and is having a sophomore slump, or a QB who has failed to launch thus far?

Baker’s sophomore slump would be explained away as easily as a fart in a dog kennel were we talking about a Jets QB.

This is more than a sophomore slump this is the real guy

He’s no longer facing soft Big 12 defenses

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This is more than a sophomore slump this is the real guy

He’s no longer facing soft Big 12 defenses

Guess I don’t understand the literal definition of sophomore slump then!

But seriously, we will see. You have your very biased opinion and I have mine. It’s too early to tell.