Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

26 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Fairly certain that I read that somewhere during the offseason. Was it just leading the league in INTs since taking over the starting job, or was it total turnovers?

Im not sure of what you read, though they probably found some cunning way to cherry pick the numbers since Mayfield started his first game in week 4. 

With that said Baker and Darnold both finished with 17 turnovers after starting 13 games. Maybe what you read was the amount of turnovers since Week 4, which is probably true, but then it completely negates things like Derek Carrs 20 turnovers during the first 3 weeks of the season last year. 

Whatever it was you read, it was most definitely a cherry picked scenario to make him look like he led the league in turnovers or was terrible with turnovers since becoming a starter, but when you look at the amount of games played overall...it really isnt what was being portrayed, sort of like this year. You dont really need to massage any numbers to know that Mayfield is a f'ing turnover machine right now. 

7 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe what you read was the amount of turnovers since Week 4, which is probably true,

So...we’re on the same page.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Don’t put that on Odell. Baker was already leading the league in turnovers since he became a starter - well before Odell got there.

He is what he was supposed to be. A plug and play starter with limited upside. 

Anyway, to my original point to @fullblast, don’t put Baker’s turnovers on Odell. 

3 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So...you’re saying that what I wrote initially was true. Glad we got this cleared up. 

Anyway, to my original point to @fullblast, don’t put Baker’s turnovers on Odell. 

No, what im saying is that is could be, but you havent even presented what you read, nor if it was regarding INT's or turnovers overall. 

Anyway, your original point to @fullblast is partially correct given that many of Bakers INT's are on him, and the one's that arent, may not even have been directed in Odell's direction. 

11 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

So...we’re on the same page.

Also, the fact that Mayfield and Darnold started the same amount of games and ended the season with the same amount of turnovers shows that whatever the article was that isolated numbers in a way to make it look like Mayfield led the league since becoming a starter proves my point that it was cherry picking and really doesnt expose him in any way when our QB had the same amount of turnovers, but not the same amount of yards or scores. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Also, the fact that Mayfield and Darnold started the same amount of games and ended the season with the same amount of turnovers shows that whatever the article was that isolated numbers in a way to make it look like Mayfield led the league since becoming a starter proves my point that it was cherry picking and really doesnt expose him in any way when our QB had the same amount of turnovers, but not the same amount of yards or scores. 

Baker has gone into the past 5 consecutive games leading the league in total turnovers since he became the full time starter. Nuts!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Im not sure of what you read, though they probably found some cunning way to cherry pick the numbers since Mayfield started his first game in week 4. 

With that said Baker and Darnold both finished with 17 turnovers after starting 13 games. Maybe what you read was the amount of turnovers since Week 4, which is probably true, but then it completely negates things like Derek Carrs 20 turnovers during the first 3 weeks of the season last year. 

Whatever it was you read, it was most definitely a cherry picked scenario to make him look like he led the league in turnovers or was terrible with turnovers since becoming a starter, but when you look at the amount of games played overall...it really isnt what was being portrayed, sort of like this year. You dont really need to massage any numbers to know that Mayfield is a f'ing turnover machine right now. 

Right now he is on pace to shatter Peytons record

9 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Don’t put that on Odell. Baker was already leading the league in turnovers since he became a starter - well before Odell got there.

He is what he was supposed to be. A plug and play starter with limited upside. 

The Baker-lovers are already blaming Kitchens and the O-line which is actually better than the Jet OL Sam beat the Cowboys with today

Next excuse will be Beckham the diva.

Nothing is Baker’s fault ever

539BAA48-ACBD-4539-9AEB-DE1CDD5D6000.jpeg.f4c8fc2d08fcfb7caef7ea3242a65ffb.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

3-INT day and another loss for the 2nd most unlikable player in the league. Ho hum.

If this keeps up and Sam balls out like he did today, this thread will never end.

Thank Sweet Jesus we ended up with Sam instead of this clown

• Upvote 1

3-INT day and another loss for the 2nd most unlikable player in the league. Ho hum.

If this keeps up and Sam balls out like he did today, this thread will never end.

I'll add 2 things...

1) Cleves D was also vastly overrated coming into 2019.

2) Anybody who said L Jackson would take too many hits should watch his reel today... dude just jukes and runs past dudes and goes OOB or goes down early... mostly......

love this player, fun to watch and fun to root for.... all the teams who pciked before and still need Qbs should dick punch their grocery shoppers

https://gph.is/1ONG1wo

• Upvote 2

Yup you know how JN works next good game Baker has, it’ll be a victory lap in the opposite direction for a week. Then back the other way. Etc ad infinitum.

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Yup you know how JN works next good game Baker has, it’ll be a victory lap in the opposite direction for a week. Then back the other way. Etc ad infinitum.

Yeah, but at this point it may take a couple good games before any lap walking. Sure, the first half of the season has been brutal but this dude has yet to play a 2019 game without throwing an interception. He needs to put together a solid game first before any lap walks by the opposition is stopped, another for us Mayfield fanboys to start smiling and talking smack. He needs more relevant performances like in that Baltimore game, but without hurting his team. 

You know it's bad when you're making Jameis Winston look like a guy who secures the football. 

I love the dude as a QB, but he has to step it the hell up, and at this point, everyone is correct in their assessment because he is playing like sh*t. And he's a much better QB than this. 

Not surprised by this.  This year teams are gameplanning for him a lot more and it shows. The kid is talented no doubt but i always felt Sam was the better overall QB longterm. Plus Baker is a loudmouth lol.  Unfortunetly Sam has dealt with some injuries/sickness and a crummy Oline but despite all that has mostly been impressive. He is also a couple years younger than Mayfield

55 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yeah, but at this point it may take a couple good games before any lap walking. Sure, the first half of the season has been brutal but this dude has yet to play a 2019 game without throwing an interception. He needs to put together a solid game first before any lap walks by the opposition is stopped, another for us Mayfield fanboys to start smiling and talking smake. He needs more relevant performances like in that Baltimore game, but without hurting his team. 

You know it's bad when you're making Jameis Winston look like a guy who secures the football. 

I love the dude as a QB, but he has to step it the hell up, and at this point, everyone is correct in their assessment because he is playing like sh*t. And he's a much better QB than this. 

Agree but that's not how this place operates. If Geno wins a flag football game this weekend, there will be a lotta told-you-so's on here Monday.

• Haha 3

On 10/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, JiF said:

And that was what, 2 years ago?  Nobody likes Baker Mayfield other than Baker Mayfield and Villain.  Everyone else in the world knows he's a punk ass bitch.

A punk bitch who since his first start in Cleveland leads the NFL in INTs.

Mr Accuracy

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Btw where is the “Mariota is overrated as hell” thread?

We don’t need a thread for every overrated QB. Only the ones who we have been spammed with for the past year and half. Penny and Sanchez had many of them, Hack had a bunch, geno got a few. For extremely specific reasons, Baker’s getting one on our Jets fan forum too!

• Upvote 3

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

We don’t need a thread for every overrated QB. Only the ones who we have been spammed with for the past year and half. Penny and Sanchez had many of them, Hack had a bunch, geno got a few. For extremely specific reasons, Baker’s getting one on our Jets fan forum too!

The Mariota dik chugging on this site was not to the level of the Baker dik chugging I agree

8 hours ago, jetsons said:

At least half of his int's were in his receivers hands and they failed to hold on... so that statistic isn't as damning as it would seem. 

Invariably, drops and deflections can be a function of the QB. Obviously the rare ones that happen to a Brady or Brees or Peyton you can generally count as an unlucky play. But when you see a QB consistently struggle with this, the QB needs to get better.

I won’t pretend like I’ve watched any browns games except the two against the Jets, but I watch the highlights and review the metrics, and when Baker is consistently getting balls batted down or throwing balls too hard instead of with touch, or throwing them slightly off target enough to where the receiver can get hands on it but can’t haul it in - those are on him. 

I’ve been beating this drum since the middle of last season even while I was getting downvoted and lectured about Baker’s ‘greatness’ - that offense needs to be run the way the Rams offense was run in 2018. Chubb needs to be the featured player every week and they need to do away with trying to have Baker play out of the pistol or shotgun and trying to exploit mid-depth. From highlights, it seems like a lot of his ints come off of those kinds of sets. Have Baker turn and hand off, have him take 3 step drops and dink and dunk most of his set pass plays, and take shots downfield off of playaction or misdirection. 

McVay was great at hiding Goff for most of last year. Kitchens has the talent on offense to be able to mirror it, but the Baker-backed first time HC is failing spectacularly. And unfortunately for them, to date, Baker has proven his draft report correct - he needs to be hidden for him to be a solid starter. 

Braker Maypole is reeling for sure. But his talent is undeniable. The kid can sling it. Yes, he is a dick. But, that is not stopping his success. He's always been a dick. 

This is 100% on "Coach Freddie", as his players call him ... that reaks of respect, right? The guy is totally out of his depth. He fields an undiscplined team and his game management skills are not poor, they are non-existent.  Is that really a surprise to anyone since he was hired with zero experience as a HC at any level and less than one season's experience as a coordinator?

So, as poor Braker Maypole wallows in the impotence of playing for his friend Freddie, he will week by week become a more desparate and less effective NFL QB. And rather than feel sorry for the dire predicament of this former #1 pick, most will bask in the glow of Braker meltdowns as he continually assures us all, in the face of his repeated failures, that he is truly as great as he thinks he is. 

• Upvote 1