Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I never discredited or credited Mangini with anyone in particular... I was just saying he was a great talent evaluator... He is well known for that but you don't have to believe me. Mangini wasn't a great coach and he has a cush gig at the moment so that is why he is out of the NFL.. Plus he ruffled feathers of certain owners in the league with the spygate sh*t.

The day Mangini took the job with the Jets he ruined his NFL career, you dont cross your mentor..period (especially since it was Belicheat).  He shud have waited for another opportunity and he'd still be coaching today.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

True. He has awesome weapons. 

He has to start playing better soon, that’s for sure 

As much as I hate to admit it, Baker has premier skills and I think he will be fine in the long run unless he gets injured.  I think, for now, he struggling because his two top weapons have personalities much larger than his own.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I wish the QB whisperer Rex cared cared about QB position when he was our HC. Seems to have an opinion on every young QB. Next up, Rex will start talking about sucking for Tua 

Eh, to be fair, he is an analyst now. He’s literally paid to give his opinion on stuff like that.

The only real issue I have with Rex is that he has failed to take any responsibility for the total collapse of this franchise following 2010. He’s repeatedly taken shots at Sanchez, Geno, and Idzik. It was always someone else’s fault.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, deucebag said:

As much as I hate to admit it, Baker has premier skills and I think he will be fine in the long run unless he gets injured.  I think, for now, he struggling because his two top weapons have personalities much larger than his own.

Eh, I don’t entirely buy this. 

1) Baker has a huge personality and is not afraid to tell people off. He was supposedly screaming at those “bigger” personalities in preseason.

2) Can you imagine what this board would be saying about Darnold if he had OBJ and Landry to throw to and played the way Baker has over the course of the first three weeks? It would not be pretty.

I think that the league has caught up to Baker to a degree and I also think Baker has struggled to handle the pass rush this year, behind what is a very suspect OL. 

However, I do think he has the talent to pick his game back up again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

2) Can you imagine what this board would be saying about Darnold if he had OBJ and Landry to throw to and played the way Baker has over the course of the first three weeks? It would not be pretty.

Coming off his historic 2018 season, I think we'd be preaching patience.  

Fans have much less patience for Darnold, who has had an injury and sickness preventing him from seeing the field and has had mixed results when he has been healthy.  Despite Sam having much lesser talent than Mayfield, its fair to say Baker has looked like the better prospect to this point based on total body of work.  

13 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, to be fair, he is an analyst now. He’s literally paid to give his opinion on stuff like that.

The only real issue I have with Rex is that he has failed to take any responsibility for the total collapse of this franchise following 2010. He’s repeatedly taken shots at Sanchez, Geno, and Idzik. It was always someone else’s fault.

Not according to Bart Scott Rex always took the blame..

Hey guys. Please do me a favor, stop quoting me every time Jets fans who generally claim never to care anything about Baker Mayfield decide to make yet another Baker Mayfield thread surrounding a topic that could have went into any of the older Baker Mayfield threads given that they're all essentially the same. 

Quoting me only prompts my haters who are always salty to jump on your comment and respond with their saltiness because they're always salty to the point that its basically a knee-jerk response.

I'd rather not interrupt those Jets fans who claim not to care about Baker Mayfield and let them continue their discussions on Baker Mayfield. 

Thanks! 

VTF

• Sympathy 1

I haven't read this thread, but I can only imagine what's in it. Guys here love to rip other team's QBs when ours are doing badly. A lot of you have a Mayfield fetish, so he's usually the target. It makes you feel better to rip him, great, but think it's childish, so I'll pass on this, except for one comment.

I remember watching Rex on the ESPN pregame show Week 1 of this season. When they got to the Browns-Titans matchup, all he did was rave about Mayfield as a QB. I remember this because as he was talking I was saying to myself "this might mean something if Rex knew anything about QBs, but since he doesn't, ehhh" 

Ok, maybe one more thing. Get back to me when another QB from the '18 class accomplishes what Mayfield has so far. Not warm and fuzzy feelings and projections. Actual things like TD passes, yards, and QB ranking... I think you get the idea.

But go back now to whatever makes you feel better about Darnold out with mono and the Jets 0-3 start.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Hey guys. Please do me a favor, stop quoting me every time Jets fans who generally claim never to care anything about Baker Mayfield decide to make yet another Baker Mayfield thread surrounding a topic that could have went into any of the older Baker Mayfield threads given that they're all essentially the same. 

Quoting me only prompts my haters who are always salty to jump on your comment and respond with their saltiness because they're always salty to the point that its basically a knee-jerk response.

I'd rather not interrupt those Jets fans who claim not to care about Baker Mayfield and let them continue their discussions on Baker Mayfield. 

Thanks! 

VTF

You can’t run and hide now. You are known as the resident Baker fanboy. Embrace it. If you believe in your guy as much as you claim to, you should believe that you will have the last laugh. 

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Coming off his historic 2018 season, I think we'd be preaching patience.  

Fans have much less patience for Darnold, who has had an injury and sickness preventing him from seeing the field and has had mixed results when he has been healthy.  Despite Sam having much lesser talent than Mayfield, its fair to say Baker has looked like the better prospect to this point based on total body of work.  

I agree that Mayfield has a stronger body of work, at this point. 

The only thing I’d add is that I think Mayfield has to pick up his game very quickly to avoid a mass exodus from the bandwagon. It’s already beginning.

Even with the lack of great talent around him, Darnold is in an interesting position because I feel like a lot of people have already given up on the season. Thus, if he comes back and plays fairly well, he will get a lot of praise - perhaps too much praise. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, maybe one more thing. Get back to me when another QB from the '18 class accomplishes what Mayfield has so far. Not warm and fuzzy feelings and projections. Actual things like TD passes, yards, and QB rank...

How about wins? How about being 1-6 vs winning teams despite having a supposedly “dangerous” team around him?

And what about his 2019 accomplishments? 3 TDs and 5 picks, thus far? 

I think Baker will be good, but surely, you will admit that his (still very young) season has been disappointing? 

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

Hey it was Rex who put in the red, yellow, green light system for the Sanchise and stated in his book how in spite of giving Mark a red light Mark was so stupid he wud still go ahead and throw a pick six.

Who was more stupid, the multi millionaire QB with a traffic light system, or the stronzo who then got a tattoo of him.

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

How about wins? How about being 1-6 vs winning teams despite having a supposedly “dangerous” team around him?

And what about his 2019 accomplishments? 3 TDs and 5 picks, thus far? 

I think Baker will be good, but surely, you will admit that his (still very young) season has been disappointing? 

Yes, I agree, and he looked especially "off" Sunday night. It seemed like he was very quick to leave the pocket. Constantly running to his right and throwing while falling away from his target.

Their OL is struggling, the same way ours is, but you're right. He doesn't look as sharp as he did last year, I think we all see that. Now if it's only the OL, or the new CSs scheme, they should be able to adjust. If Baker plays the entire season like he did Sunday against Aaron Donald and the Rams, I'll be right there with those who are "really disappointed" in him.

As for now though, he has some accomplishments in the bank, so I'm giving him a pass as of now. 

As far as the 1-6 thing, you realize he took over a team that went 0-16 in '17, and was 0-2 and down 14-0 when he came off the bench to start his career right? They were in contention for a division title going into week 17 with him after that. C'mon. Lets not cherry pick stats the way guys do here with Darnold's 3 game "HOF stretch" last year....

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Who was more stupid, the multi millionaire QB with a traffic light system, or the stronzo who then got a tattoo of him.

Rex only got the tattoo because his wife had a crush on Sanchez and she wouldn't let Rex play with her feet unless she is turned on.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yeah, let's make fun of Rex for being a defense coach while listening to that other fat **** squawk about QBs.  We can forget how he ran O'Donnell out of town.  How he took the ball out of O'Donnel's hands to have rookie RB Leon Johnson throw a pass, and giving Ray Lucas his first attempts.  Both threw picks.  He thought Foley was a viable starter.  Then he was forced to start a cast-off that Lil' Bill brought in who rescued his season.  Or maybe the time that guy got hurt and he traded a draft pick for Rick ******* Mirer and bet the season on him, later to find out the guy he used as a punt gunner and WR was a better QB. That guy gets to make rules about what QB you should draft.  

BB>>>fatcells

41 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thanks! 

VTF

What if we care to see Baker Mayfield fail?  Can we quote you in that situation? 

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

As far as the 1-6 thing, you realize he took over a team that went 0-16 in '17, and was 0-2 and down 14-0 when he came off the bench to start his career right? They were in contention for a division title going into week 17 with him after that. C'mon. Lets not cherry pick stats the way guys do here with Darnold's 3 game "HOF stretch" last year....

Yes, they were in contention because they beat a lot of bad teams.

The point is that, besides the massive hype, the Browns haven’t done anything to show that they are a good team yet, and in point of fact, have been beaten by almost all of the good teams they have played.

The only thing you can really say is that this is a team stat and by no means solely reflective of Mayfield’s performance. That is totally fair. 

But the pressure is on. When you start telling the world how dangerous you feel, you better deliver the goods. 

This year can quickly turn into a long and painful snap back to reality for you Baker Stans. 

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, they were in contention because they beat a lot of bad teams.

The point is that, besides the massive hype, the Browns haven’t done anything to show that they are a good team yet, and in point of fact, have been beaten by almost all of the good teams they have played.

The only thing you can really say is that this is a team stat and by no means solely reflective of Mayfield’s performance. That is totally fair. 

But the pressure is on. When you start telling the world how dangerous you feel, you better deliver the goods. 

This year can quickly turn into a long and painful snap back to reality for you Baker Stans. 

We've danced this dance before, my friend. You're a very level headed and obviously intelligent poster. Because of that, you're one of the VERY few I'll even discuss this subject with anymore.

As far as what you just said, I won't argue any of your points, they're all fair. The only thing I'll say is I feel people judge Baker differently then the others in his class last year. Because he accomplished so much last year, its almost as if they forget he's only played one season. I know you're going to probably say he doesn't help this with his antics, and that's fair, but for some reason his cockiness is what I like most about him.

At this point all we can really do is watch and see how his year plays out. If his season is successful, good for him, he'll have proven his critics wrong again. If he struggles, its on him, no one else. I'm not one to make excuses for QBs. They either get it done, or they don't. That's how I get in trouble here talking about another QB.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

You can’t run and hide now. You are known as the resident Baker fanboy. Embrace it. If you believe in your guy as much as you claim to, you should believe that you will have the last laugh. 

Coming into the thread and letting folks know that I wont respond to every pre-ejaculation isnt running. It's being content with the fact that if there is a last laugh to be had, I'll have it. So there's really no need for me to fuss with folk who dont page me when Baker plays well. 

How much clearer must my embrace be? 

Anyway, enjoy the thread guys. 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Also Rex: “Mark Sanchez is my guy.”

I think Rex gets too much heat for sh*t like this.  Saying that, like the extension were designed to keep the kid's psyche intact.  Same with making Santonio Holmes a captain.  You give him a title in the hope that he takes it to heart and works hard.  There are enough reasons Rex deserves to be ripped, which I guess is why this sh*t looks so bad.

fwiw, me and @Jetsfan80 made money bets last year. 

proceeds to charity, which was his idea and a very good one. mad props.

it stems from the fact that I thought the Browns/Baker hype was premature.

props are-

1) Browns will make playoffs THIS year.

2) Browns will win a playoff game NEXT year.

I bet against both, he bet for both. No stipulations for injury, but I'd still agree to nullify if Baker goes down

w/ a serious injury.

Jus sayn 

43 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

We've danced this dance before, my friend. You're a very level headed and obviously intelligent poster. Because of that, you're one of the VERY few I'll even discuss this subject with anymore.

As far as what you just said, I won't argue any of your points, they're all fair. The only thing I'll say is I feel people judge Baker differently then the others in his class last year. Because he accomplished so much last year, its almost as if they forget he's only played one season. I know you're going to probably say he doesn't help this with his antics, and that's fair, but for some reason his cockiness is what I like most about him.

At this point all we can really do is watch and see how his year plays out. If his season is successful, good for him, he'll have proven his critics wrong again. If he struggles, its on him, no one else. I'm not one to make excuses for QBs. They either get it done, or they don't. That's how I get in trouble here talking about another QB.

I agree with a lot of this, but it’s all about the hype, man. 

People are hard on him because of the crazy hype he got over the summer. (As am I)

The cockiness is a factor, but I also think a fair number of people are just like you and actually like that stuff. As for me, I don’t think the bravado would have worked well in NY with this sh*tshow of a franchise (I think he would have flamed out here just like Rex did), but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal in Cleveland. That city always has a chip on its shoulder, anyway. 

I’m still confident that he’s gonna be a good QB longterm, assuming he stays healthy 

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

fwiw, me and @Jetsfan80 made money bets last year. 

proceeds to charity, which was his idea and a very good one. mad props.

it stems from the fact that I thought the Browns/Baker hype was premature.

props are-

1) Browns will make playoffs THIS year.

2) Browns will win a playoff game NEXT year.

I bet against both, he bet for both. No stipulations for injury, but I'd still agree to nullify if Baker goes down

w/ a serious injury.

Jus sayn 

I'll stand by my picks!  What did we say, $50 to charity?

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Yes, I agree, and he looked especially "off" Sunday night. It seemed like he was very quick to leave the pocket. Constantly running to his right and throwing while falling away from his target.

Their OL is struggling, the same way ours is, but you're right. He doesn't look as sharp as he did last year, I think we all see that. Now if it's only the OL, or the new CSs scheme, they should be able to adjust. If Baker plays the entire season like he did Sunday against Aaron Donald and the Rams, I'll be right there with those who are "really disappointed" in him.

As for now though, he has some accomplishments in the bank, so I'm giving him a pass as of now. 

I like Baker and think he’s going to be a good QB but.....

GTFO out with accomplishments “in the bank”.

this guy has the most picks of any QB since becoming a starter.

he has a losing record 

he played the worst defenses in the nfl last year

7 of his TDs and 600+ of his yards came against a bengals team that was literally the bottom 5 in NFL HISTORY 

through three games, with the  BEST wr in the nfl he has 3tds and 5 picks and is completing less than 60%

ryan Fitzpatrick had a 30 TD season- what do you think of him? 

You are clueless 

Yeah it sucks he didn't work out....could of really used a receiver with his physical abilities IF he could of caught the ball and run routes.

Imagine if guys like Hill, Ducass, Milliner, Pryor, etc. worked out what a difference that would of made with this current team? Hell, even Gholston could of still been playing if he wasn't a massive bust, and it feels like he was drafted a lifetime ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk