Rex: Baker Mayfield “overrated as hell”

Philc1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

True.  Admittedly it’s tough to always decipher when it’s breaking balls and when it isn’t but either way I agree.  At the end of the day it’s just sports nothing should be taken too seriously.  It’s a great distraction from pressures of work/families 

You get good at it after a while.

Youre so right 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Based on pretty much nothing.

Arm strength on down

Not that Cousins is an insult

As of now Sam has 2 years @ 43.5 QBR, so he i looking up SIGNIFICANTLY to get to Cousins level of efficiency.

Since Cous starts significant games ...look at the TD/INT and QBR...  

Sams arm is average strength.

• WTF? 1

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

4 total was my answer

Should be everyones answer for 1st round QBs.  Sam or any of his 1st round class

This is where I am also.

You're a lot happier with him then I am, but just like with our HC, I feel we have to give Darnold a couple of more years here. We gave up so much to get him, we can't give up on him unless we are absolutely certain he isn't the guy. My guess is he's here 6-8 years, but never becomes a top 10 QB.

My problem isn't with Sam the person. I just read stuff here where people say they see things in him that I don't. I'd be very happy to be wrong about him. It's funny to me how the same fan base that wanted to fire Gase after 7 games, cut QW after 5, and wants to trade their only All Pro, Looks at their QB, who after two years ranked the 26th and 25th in QBR, and who was drafted by the guy they say was the worst GM ever when it comes to drafting players, is convinced this pick will be elite.

Forget about the fact that they start threads making fun of other QBs taken in the same draft while our guy struggles. That's a whole other level of absurd.

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He has his convictions and can also bust balls jokingly.

A lot better than being arrogant, dissecting every number searching for excuses, blaming everyone else and then telling anyone who disagrees that they're lacking comprehension.

Down deep hes a good guy.  Misguided but a good guy.  ?

Thanks... I think?  :cheers:

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 4:34 PM, Losmeister said:

As of now Sam has 2 years @ 43.5 QBR, so he i looking up SIGNIFICANTLY to get to Cousins level of efficiency.

Since Cous starts significant games ...look at the TD/INT and QBR...  

Sams arm is average strength.

And Cousins threw only a handful of passes every year until year 4

Along with I could give a damn what ESPNs stupid rankings say about Sam.  

Sams arm is lightyears better than Cousins and is as strong as anyone outside of the top few QBs.  You should go back and read his scouting reports.  

When someone says this and think its significant it becomes apparent they don't know what they're talking about.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

The few Baker fanboys on here are going to hold onto that idea as long as they possibly can. 

That's just what it is - they love the idea of Baker - the short guy with a chip on his shoulder who tells everyone how tough he is, grabs his crotch, and is too much of a badass to use coach speak or sports platitudes when addressing the media. 

At the beginning of the year, Baker was ready to take the league by storm. He had one of the best collections of WRs and running backs in the league and was playing for a guy he loved. He was inspiring a young team to greatness. He was the King of the North. 

Then, he regressed in every major statistical category, completed less than 60% of his passes, and posted a whopping 3.9 interception percentage (yikes). Now, suddenly his WRs are overrated and the fact that he had one of the best running games in the entire league is somehow not particularly relevant. 

It is sublime silliness, but you just have to enjoy the ride. Personally, my favorite part of the playoffs are the Mayfield commercials. 

Look I have absolutely no problem with jet fans being fans of Lamar or Baker that’s their right and I respect that.  I just don’t like when they say that fans who like Sam make excuses for him which isn’t true.  I’ve said 1000 times what Sam needs to improve on.  I never once blamed Gase even though I never wanted Gase here in the first place.  I even admitted Sam was the QB I wanted rightly or wrongly.  If I’m wrong about him I will admit I was wrong but I think we got a good one.  I could care less if he ever becomes a MVP or has flashy stats if he helps bring us a Super Bowl I’m happy 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He has his convictions and can also bust balls jokingly.

A lot better than being arrogant, dissecting every number searching for excuses, blaming everyone else and then telling anyone who disagrees that they're lacking comprehension.

Down deep hes a good guy.  Misguided but a good guy.  ?

Hey, I'm standing RIGHT HERE....?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The few Baker fanboys on here are going to hold onto that idea as long as they possibly can. 

That's just what it is - they love the idea of Baker - the short guy with a chip on his shoulder who tells everyone how tough he is, grabs his crotch, and is too much of a badass to use coach speak or sports platitudes when addressing the media. 

At the beginning of the year, Baker was ready to take the league by storm. He had one of the best collections of WRs and running backs in the league and was playing for a guy he loved. He was inspiring a young team to greatness. He was the King of the North. 

Then, he regressed in every major statistical category, completed less than 60% of his passes, and posted a whopping 3.9 interception percentage (yikes). Now, suddenly his WRs are overrated and the fact that he had one of the best running games in the entire league is somehow not particularly relevant. 

It is sublime silliness, but you just have to enjoy the ride. Personally, my favorite part of the playoffs are the Mayfield commercials. 

Baker is something of a folk hero to some trolls on the internet who think they know about football 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And Cousins threw a handful of passes every year until year 4

Along with I could give a damn what ESPNs stupid rankings say about Sam.  

Sams arm is lightyears better than Cousins and is as strong as anyone outside of the top few QBs.  You should go back and read his scouting reports.  

When someone says this and think its significant it becomes apparent they don't know what they're talking about.

Not to mention Sam is way younger than Cousins.  It took years for Cousins to develop into an ok not great qb

• Upvote 2

On 1/15/2020 at 10:50 PM, slimjasi said:

Im going to hold on to that idea as long as I possibly can. 

haha. 

• 11 months later...

I was watching the game with my brother and his family.

"That Baker Mayfield is good.  I've seen him throw a few picks.  But he's much better now.'

Me.  "Really?  Who's he remind you of?"

"Oh.  What's his name???  Doug Flutie!"

Perfect.

Congrats Baker.  Was pulling for you and the draft pick.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NamathToCaster said:

Baker is a playmaker.  All he do is win win win.  Sam can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

Even money bet I’m taking that Baker has already won more games than Darnold will for his entire career. Geno has won 1 after leaving the Jets and Sanchez 4. And I heard exactly the same bargaining and excuse-making for them as Darnold. Many of us have fought and were proven right in this same battle twice before. It’s deja vu all over again. There’s zero doubt in my mind that had Giants taken Darnold and us Rosen we’d be having this exact debate about him, with everyone on the same sides that they are now.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I’m with @jgb  had we drafted Baker or Josh Allen, they would not be who they are today.  We haven’t developed or helped a QB in 20 years.  

Doesn’t matter to me whether a guy was ruined or destined to suck. Once a QB sucks over a significant timeframe, very rarely does he climb out of it. I mean we have one thread arguing Darnold can still be good and other saying Wentz is not salvageable after one bad year. I get that we fans have some emotional attachments but my goodness it’s just impossible to reconcile.

Anyways, was Darnold ruined or was he damaged goods to begin with? Don’t really care at this point. We have a new GM to pick the next guy and a new HC to develop him. Try, try again. 

On 1/15/2020 at 4:50 PM, slimjasi said:

The funny thing is when you consider all of the talent Cleveland had at WR, RB, TE and O line this year, you begin to realize that Baker is the one thing holding them back. 

• WTF? 2