WowOhWow

Has NFL offense passed Gase by?

This is what actually happened to the offense:

1) Poor drafting for the past 7 years, and no investment outside of Sam Darnold, leads to a talent depleted team and especially, offense.

2) Sam Darnold arrives.  He does not perform well.  Then he gets hurt.  Then he returns and shows meaningful promise.  Jets Fans anoint him a franchise QB and savior.  Expectations grow.

3) Robbie Anderson makes enough plays for Jets Fans overrate him (myself included).  Expectations grow.

4) Herndon shows he may be an NFL caliber TE.  Expectations grow.

5) The season ends and we fire an unpopular coach with a defensive background and replace him with an offensive coach.  We ignore the fact that, like in any profession, there’s a few geniuses, a handful of morons, and then most of the people are in between.  Still, the offense is fixed, we assume.  Expectations grow.

6) We trade for an OG who used to be good, but hasn’t been recently.  Jets Fans attribute his failings to being on a bad team.  Jets fans assume the offensive line, neglected since drafting D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in 2006 is now fixed.  Expectations grow.

7) We sign an elite RB and a good slot WR.  Expectations grow.

8) We again neglect the offensive side of the ball on draft day.

9) Herndon is suspended.

10) We add Kalil out of retirement.  Expectations grow.

11) Preseason happens.  Preseason doesn’t matter when it’s inconvenient to us, but does matter when it is.  We get fired up about multiple 1st drive TDs.  Expectations are reaching critical mass.

12) Sam Darnold, who still hasn’t proven anything, does not look good against a top defense.  Expectations begin to shatter.

13) Enunwa, a fan favorite, gets hurt, possibly ending his career.

14) The offensive line performs to its level of talent, not Jets Fans expectations.  Kalil and Osemele do not return to form.

15) Sam Darnold is diagnosed with Mono, and is now out.  We take some solace in the hope that this explains enough of week one.

16) The Browns and Pats are able to attack the LOS because there’s now no threat from the passing game.  The line folds quickly.

17) The backup QB is hurt quickly.

18) The 3rd string QB, who was on the practice squad, is, unsurprisingly not able to get the job done.

19) Bell is a bright spot, but a RB is limited in his impact by his offensive line.  Crowder also looks good, but now plays out of position, limiting his impact.

20) Robbie Anderson’s impact is 0 because he’s overrated and because he can’t get open deep before the line folds.

21) Jets Fans largely ignore the facts above they don’t like, instead reverting to the tried and true, fire the coach, the next one will fix this.

The line stinks, the WRs stink, the TE is suspended, the RB is great but it’s irrelevant because the line stinks, and the QB is still a big question mark and hasn’t played.  That’s why they suck.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Laundry list of excuses

When Bowles and Mac were botching everything it was all Idzik’s fault.  Now that Gase is getting exposed it’s Mac’s fault

Parcells inherits a 1-15 team and goes 9-7.  Rex inherits a Jet team that missed the playoffs and has a rookie QB who isn’t good and makes the playoffs and makes multiple runs

Everything on that list is true, regardless of whether you want to call it an excuse or not.

But sure, fire this coach too.  I'm sure the next one will actually be good.

Rex is a great example though.  I'm sure, after the first two years, he just forgot how to coach football.  Talent and circumstances had nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Bugg said:

But problem is if he spent his time and effort giving a sh!t about the media or internet he'd do nothing else. We like this place, and it's fun even when the Jets are terrible. Nonetheless this is the toy department of life. Problems are a sick QB and what that has led to, a terrible OL and  bad WRs. There isn't much you can do when you cannot protect the QB. Was a question in the Pats postgame where Gase was asked why they don't throw deep,and he explained it's difficult to do when you cannot protect long enough to throw deep. Who ever our QB is is not getting 2 seconds. Beachum is getting bullrushed, and that simply cannot happen with aN NFL LT. 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Butttttt, but, the ego maniac is pointing fingers.  He should be more like Bowles and not blame the people that we all can see aren’t doing their jobs well enough. 

People will always blame the coach because it's an easy fix, and it allows the fantasy that we're just one strategist away from a competitive team.  Hard is bringing in a #1 and a #2 WR, probably 5 offensive linemen, and we don't even yet know if the QB is competent, and acknowledging that we're more than one offseason away from having to fix all of that.

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not saying to fire Gase. Firing him now would be asinine, firing him during the season period would be asinine.  I’m saying he shares the responsibility of how bad the team is doing especially with the way he’s calling the offense. 

How do you call an offense without talent?

I'm not a Gase fan.  I'm anti-Coach Pile-On, because I think it's short sighted, simplistic, and hasn't produced results.

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’m not saying to fire Gase. Firing him now would be asinine, firing him during the season period would be asinine.  I’m saying he shares the responsibility of how bad the team is doing especially with the way he’s calling the offense. 

Put another way, what calls would be successful with Luke Falk at QB, Kelvin Beachum at LT, and Robbie Anderson as your #1 WR?

The Jets current starting offense features two players they've actually drafted, and none in the last 3 years.  The coach is currently the absolute least of my concerns.

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He could try changing it up a little bit instead of doing the same plays over and over again that aren’t working. Different plays might not work but at least he’s trying. We know the plays he’s running aren’t working. 

I didn’t expect this team to win before any injuries or suspensions  but I was still hoping  to see something positive for the future. 

There are only two players currently on the Jets offense that might play a meaningful role in it's success by the time this could be turned around.  One's got mono and the other's suspended.

52 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He could bring in a blocking  tight end to help stop the pass rush and open holes for the RB,  he could put Bell and Montgomery in the backfield at the same time and spread one out or both out and you’ll have Bell or Montgomery matched up against a linebacker. If you have Bell and Montgomery in at the same time it gives you different looks and options. They can both run and catch.  Why are they not using Crowder out of the slot more? Just try something different. I feel like he’s being stubborn and thinking I’m running the same plays over and over again and eventually it’s going to work when they’re not getting more than a yard or two

None of this might help or do any better but at least try. 

I imagine it might be hard to install all new looks with a practice squad QB, no?

We limited the offense with our #1s in the past, maybe we're protecting a guy who's a half-step off of coming off the street.

23 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

But Gase was a offensive guru or so we were told.  I hope the first game is not an indication of this guy tenure with this team.  He did not put his QB in a position to win.  He never called for roll out when he knew the OL was faltering and which is one of Darnolds's strength.  He never called for a single RB screen the entire game.  The Bills pretty much knew what was coming the entire game and most of the time one unblocked rusher came free at Darnolds face.  There was no extra TE, no adjustment at all and that is on the coach so lets not make excuse for this bozo.  

Maybe we ought not get boners about labels like gurus.  Maybe, most of these guys are generally the same, and it's just football, and for the most part, the most talented teams win.  The Jets are one of the least talented, at least in positions where it matters.

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As a coach your job is to get the best out of the hand you are dealt.

Gase has not done that.

Based on what?  Your speculation?

This may very well be as good as it gets with Kelvin Beachem, Luke Falk, and Robbie Anderson.

• Upvote 1

The players suck.

The ones that don't are hurt.

The ones that don't and aren't hurt can't do anything because the offensive line sucks.

The rest is mental masturbation.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Based on the fact that guys like Gailey, Morton and bates who had just as sh*tty personnel looked better and Gase is supposed to be some kind of guru.

that and the simple eye ball test of plays and play design.

Those guys had equal or better talent everywhere but RB.

Gase also has a small sample size of top defenses.

2 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

The defense has very little talents especially at CB but they have impressed so far.  The offense on the other hand have been on college level.  So by your argument it is fair to say that Gase have been horrible with the offense. 

The talent level on defense isn't nearly as bad as on offense.  Everyone on the defensive line is an actual NFL player.  The linebackers are generally NFL players, and the safeties are NFL players.  Agreed that CB is terrible.  Also, a defense can operate with weaknesses at any position.  If the QB is incompetent, there is no offense.

2 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

So you're saying we've had good coaches here?

Literally no.  Nowhere did I say this.

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agree completely.

But something happens when a 3rd string QB is replaced by a legitimate NFL starter-  defenses play you differently.  That's what happened in 2002 with run-down Testaverde.  After a game with Pennington flashing, suddenly the 'lousy' OL that couldn't run block or pass protect could do both, Curtis Martin found running room again, the WR's got open again, and we went on to win our division and a home playoff game.

Losing Darnold, as would the loss of any starting quarterback on any NFL team, completely changes the defense you're playing and the offensive playbook you're running.

SAR I

Agreed.  Where you and I differ is how good we think they'll be once Darnold returns. 

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company