WowOhWow

Has NFL offense passed Gase by?

4 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

So you believe his scheme is not the problem.  Being banged up and talent deficient are the culprits.  Fair enough.

I'm not so sure.  I'm thinking this guy might run a relic of an offense.  When you go back and look at his history I don't think it's a theory that's completely off base.

How about we let the guy manage a completely healthy offense for the next four games and then talk like this.

We are all unhappy with the current circumstances. But there are no people to blame here. Bad luck happens.

SAR I

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What are you talking about sports talk radio?

Where did I post anything blaming anyone for 0-3?

Are you responding to ghosts?

I didn’t respond to you in this thread, you responded to me. 

My post was intended for those looking for Adam Gase’s head because he’s failing with a third string quarterback.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I we lost the first game because we had a very bad kicker on the roster who missed PAT's and FG's. 

joewilly12

Sure.

Or a defensive coordinator that made no adjustments when CJ Mosley got injured. The Bills scored TD’s on two consecutive drives after Mosley’s injury and it was easy, we didn’t even put up a fight.

But nobody seems to go after Gregg Williams.  Because he’s boisterous and flashy.  Smells like Rex Ryan all over again, doesn’t it?  Defense blows a 16 point lead and they blame Mark Sanchez, again.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So you place zero blame on Gase for terrible play calling? They are literally running 4 plays almost every drive. How the hell is Bell going to do anything if he doesn’t call any plays to draw the defense back? 

Run up the middle, draw/delay, dump the ball short, run 

With a third string quarterback against two of the top defenses in the NFL what exactly would you expect him to do? Not give the ball to one of the top running backs in the NFL?  Not let Bell try to break a long one like he has been known to do?

Imagine a world where he let Falk sling it 40 times in a game and had 5 interceptions, you’d be screaming that he was an idiot because he didn’t use Bell enough. 

Be real. It’s a no-win situation. And I don’t understand why anyone is more frustrated this week than they were last week, it’s not like we had any chance to win in New England, that game was a complete throw away.

We are 0-3 because of sickness and injury, it’s simply bad luck. And based on what I have seen there was an extremely strong chance that the Jets would be 2-1 right now if Darnold didn’t get sick and Mosely didn’t pull a groin.

I’m pissed off too, but I’m not blaming a coach in an impossible situation. I’m blaming God.  I will also be thanking God when all of our starters return healthy and the team that we were so excited about in August is back on the field performing at their capabilities.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, derp said:

I think Gase is a pretty clever guy. Also believe that Gase thinks he is smarter than he is. And additionally suspect that he is not a good communicator.

Finally, I do not think the offense has much talent. League average quarterback with room for growth, average slot receiver, bottom of the league level outside receivers, above average tight end who hasn’t played yet, say like 75th percentile running back, and a subpar offensive line.

Basically if a defense can prevent Anderson from getting loose deep they won’t get beaten by chunk plays. Focus on him and play aggressively against everyone else.

When you compound a lack of playmakers with a lack of offensive line it’s a huge huge problem because you can’t get splash plays and you inevitably end up behind the sticks due to sacks, TFL’s, and penalties.

Awesome writeup.

Copy and paste it somewhere and if in 4 weeks time our offense looks terrible with all the starters back and healthy then we can have that conversation.

As of now, we haven’t seen the 2019 New York Jets offense. We have seen a third string quarterback bumbling his way through a couple of games without embarrassing himself too much.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

10 days from today.  Rested, heathly and facing the 29th ranked defense against the pass.

No excuses.  Get it done!

I didn’t expect you to be the one to say something smart and reasonable, but there you have it.

SAR I

14 minutes ago, jetsyrup said:

Why are you calling Sam a liar?

Why are you calling one of the best offensive minds in the game incompetent?

SAR I

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who had mono, who had all the symptoms 

assdfsd.jpg

And FYI, against Buffalo, Sam Darnold had a pretty good day. 

Sam completed 28 throws (most in a game in his career) for a 68.2% completion percentage (11 points higher than his average) and a 84.9 QBR (7 points higher than average).

Sam actually played well against a tough defense.  Doing enough to win and scoring a big TD and 2pt Conversion in crunch time which wouldn't have been necessary (lousy K) or would have held up (lousy Q4 D).  All with an energy-draining illness.

So this Gase myth can stop now.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You've been saying this same thing for 8 months and nothing we've seen from him says you're right.

Exactly.

If you watch his press conferences (I've watched them all, YouTube) he actually has a pleasant and often humorous relationship with the media.  He's handled the postgame pressers after tough losses properly, and he's saying the right things.

People hate the hire, blah blah blah.  Let the guy prove himself or fail.  Judging the guy with a 3rd string quarterback is ridiculous.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, DRJETS said:

NFL defense that hold teams to 16 points win the game most of the time.   Williams did it with crap heap and no corners.  Also did you missed the part when the defense scored a TD in that game?  They were gasping for air by the end of the game with so many 3 and out the entire game.  

Who cares what the D did in the first minute of the game?  Your D matters most late in the game, they get paid the big bucks when you're mounting a comeback or have a lead to protect.

When it's the 4th quarter and you have a 16 point lead against a team that had done nothing but self-destruct all game there is ZERO excuse for the defense to fold like that.  And if the loss of Mosely was the answer, well, one of the most accomplished and experienced DC's in the NFL should have made whatever personnel or schematic adjustments were necessary to restore order.  Instead, the Bills passed through William's D like water and scored 2 TD's in less than 8 minutes.

SAR I

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

The only fantasy is fans blindly thinking every coach hired even if they have losing records and bad stats are going to miraculously turn the Jets around and win a SB. 50 years and counting. 

I’m realistic 

You lobby for fans to make more noise in the stadium, you lobby for Firefraud to come back to lead the chant, and you curl up in a ball like a coward when the team needs your support the most.

There are better places to act like a sad victim than a forum full of Jets fans.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Last I checked we're not in Miami.

A couple of players like Landry who wanted to be the highest paid WR in the NFL.  Gase has said, they couldn't do,it.  Good thing they didn't, he hasn't come close to earning the deal he signed inCleveland.

A player trade away whines.  A player who led the team in touches whined that he wanted more.  Where's Ajayi? 

You should live down here, the press is brain dead.  They call is those stinking rotten Jets.  

And Gase was proven right, wasn't he.  He called out the bad eggs and they showed their true colors. 

Gase wanted out of Miami, it was toxic down there.  He'll now get his chance to show that he made a good decision.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Thank god there’s no football game this week

Yeah, because now we get an extra week to hear SOJF's try to convince us that our head coach is a failure worthy of termination because he couldn't get a third string quarterback to beat Bill Belichick in Foxboro.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SOJ said:

The injuries surly play a part not doubt... HOWEVR,  ...t's not the 0-3 start that's the problem with Gase. It's this:

http://turnonthejets.com/2019/09/new-york-jets-bye-week-the-three-things-teams-to-learn-from/

"As it stands now, we have seen the exact same offense from Gase that he ran in Miami. The same swing pass 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and 3, is the same one he did with Ryan Tannehill, the same one he did with Sam Darnold week 1, the same one he did with Trevor Siemian week 2 and the same one he did with Luke Falk in week 3. When Darnold is back, the team must play to his strengths, get him on the move to mitigate offensive line concerns and show some flexibility off what didn’t work for Gase in Miami. It is about building a system that fits your players, not fitting the players into your system."

If Gase didn't see fit to change his ways after his failures in Miami, and so far through 3 games with the Jets, why does anyone think he's going to change now? To correct a problem, first you have to admit there is a problem.  That is what 12 step programs teach and something Gase has yet to learn... 

Gase's schemes and playcalling are problems, but if you listen to him THAT isn't the problem, it's poor execution (to an extent it is but if the players are having issues wouldn't it make sense to adjust by simplifying the blocking schemes until people improve?  ). So, apparently the solution is that we just have to wait until we replace the majority of the roster with players that can execute Gase's plans! 

This is exactly what he did in Miami and look how that worked out.  He is 0-6 his last 6 games.   let me repeat that he is 0-6 his last 6 games.  So IMHO unless this changes this team will be 0-6 (with Sam) and AG's  record will be 0-9.  Just saying...

I am on JN multiple times a day for several years and I don't recall you or your screen name once.

Taking joy in the misery of others isn't what rooting for an NFL team is all about.  Showing up when things aren't going well to brag about how 'right' you are?  Christ.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, jetsyrup said:

Your jealousy of Ed's attention is hilarious

We're not jealous.  We disregard him because we don't want to be represented by a blue collar worker with a frowny face who is foolish enough to think that barking orders at executives is a smart idea.

Not to worry.  Now that the Jets have been characterized as a laughing stock, we won't see him at the stadium again.  That's what he does when the team goes south.  He runs and hides, then writes some Dear John letter to the media and blames the fans for his cowardice.

SAR I

8 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t lobby for anything, I’m stating facts which isn’t curling up in a ball. Ignoring a bad game by a coach and a pattern of bad decisions is nothing more the excepting the sh*t teams this franchise puts on the field year after year. 

If your Uber blows an engine you don't blame the driver for your inconvenience. 

The rash of injuries and illness that has beset the Jets is biblical, it's been 30 years since a HC has has to start 3 different QB's in the first 3 games of the season not to mention the other 6 missing starters.  Which leaves you two choices:

1.  Accept the bad luck, refrain from judgement, and wait for the roster to heal.

2.  Tell everyone "look at me I was right!" and lobby fans to rally against your brand new head coach.

It would be nice if you could be a #1 instead of a #2.

SAR I

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

the injuries certainly have something to do with it.  from what i can tell the oline players are healthy.  they just aren't run blocking or pass protecting very well.  and even though darnold is talented he's still only a 2nd year player so it's hard to say they would've done any better with him in there.  they probably would've done better against the browns.  difficult to say against the patsies.

Jets weren't beating the Patriots in Foxboro under any circumstances.  That team is unbeatable up there and they are flying right now, not suffering from that September malaise like they usually do.

Jets had the Buffalo game won.  Based on the Browns struggles, I believe that Darnold and Mosely win that game too.  We'd be the talk of the NFL right now, not the Bills.  Injuries and sickness suck, truly do.

So I see a team with 2-1 talent unfortunately struck down by acts of God, nothing I can do about it.  So I wait for them to return to health and see how they do against the Eagles. 

SAR I

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They got rid of Gase, who last year had that shltty team, led by Osweiler, contending for a playoff spot with a few weeks left in the season.

Gase looks like Lombardi in Miami compared to today's Dolphins

I don't live down there but I'd have to believe that when Gase opened 2017 at 1-4 they felt that the offense was a mess, Gase was overrated, etc.  And then he went 9-1.

In our current situation, needing a comeback-type season filled with remarkable runs of W's, you couldn't ask for a better HC than Adam Gase.  It's his biggest accomplishment as a head coach.

SAR I

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

The line stinks, the WRs stink, the TE is suspended, the RB is great but it’s irrelevant because the line stinks, and the QB is still a big question mark and hasn’t played.  That’s why they suck.

Agree completely.

But something happens when a 3rd string QB is replaced by a legitimate NFL starter-  defenses play you differently.  That's what happened in 2002 with run-down Testaverde.  After a game with Pennington flashing, suddenly the 'lousy' OL that couldn't run block or pass protect could do both, Curtis Martin found running room again, the WR's got open again, and we went on to win our division and a home playoff game.

Losing Darnold, as would the loss of any starting quarterback on any NFL team, completely changes the defense you're playing and the offensive playbook you're running.

SAR I

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He could bring in a blocking  tight end to help stop the pass rush and open holes for the RB,  he could put Bell and Montgomery in the backfield at the same time and spread one out or both out and you’ll have Bell or Montgomery matched up against a linebacker. If you have Bell and Montgomery in at the same time it gives you different looks and options. They can both run and catch.  Why are they not using Crowder out of the slot more? Just try something different. I feel like he’s being stubborn and thinking I’m running the same plays over and over again and eventually it’s going to work when they’re not getting more than a yard or two.

Man oh man.  That would have beaten the Patriots in Foxboro right there.  Bellichick wouldn't have known what hit him.  Falk would have thrown for 400 yards.

Damn it.  Where were you when we needed you?  Did you try to text this to Coach Gase?  Email?

SAR I

2 hours ago, rammagen said:

gase had a part in them becoming bad eggs, he alienated player right or wrongly. he played favorites in Miami. Now the excuse is Gase wanted out of miami and navigated himself out of his contract by screaming at the owner.

SAR that is few huge leaps of faith there bud. Gase had a huge part for that toxic atmosphere.

What is going to be the excuse if the Jets have a loosing season after him promising an explosive offense and delivering squat? How did that turn out for the phins?

Normally the simplest explanations are the true ones. Yes Gase has injuries but will/has not adjust to the game plans to put players into position to succeed. Gase thinks he is smarter then everyone else and has an ego which rubs people wrong.

Noting the above which has been reported before isn't easier to accept he might not be a good head coach (as his record indicates) and his success as Offensive coordinator is linked to qbs making all the adjustments at the line of scrimmage and rather then simplifying that process for other players he is a one trick play caller that wont adapt.

Just throwing that out there

Gase might suck.  He really might be awful.

Can we see what our offense looks like after the bye please?  With Darnold back and the OL working hard for 10 straight days on gelling?  How about we reserve judgement until another 4 or 8 games?

Even before the injuries and illnesses, this was a new team with 40% of the players new to their roles under new coaches and new playbooks.  That's hard enough.  Add to it the best O and D players unexpectedly out for 2 games and a 3rd string QB and facing 3 of the best D's in the NFL, it's a disaster.

The bye should correct a lot of this.  Let's give the man, and the team, a chance.

SAR I

1 hour ago, WowOhWow said:

So with all the writing what's your take on the original premise?  Is Gase's scheme passe by today's standards?  Has it passed him by?  I take it you believe not.

I'm not so sure.  Dude hasn't run a top offense in 4-5 years.

I can't answer the question until the whole offense is back and healthy in a few weeks.

Point is, neither can you.  So pipe down with your witch hunt.  Plenty of time for that in November if things break bad.  Put on a Jets jersey, pray for a speedy recovery for our 6 missing starters, and let's see what Coach Gase can do. 

SAR I

24 minutes ago, rammagen said:

not to be the pessimist here but when it does not? I say this based on Gase and his past track record.  Unless they simplify the blocking (which they have not done yet) you wont see that improvement. Because I spend 10 day preparing for a test does not mean I will pass it.

This is the miracle of being a Jet fan, looking for something positive while ignoring the alarming signs and trends. I am not rushing to any judgment this is based on his 3 yrs in Miami plus his time with the Jets.

What is Amazing this is a new defensive scheme that has had injuries  to two starters and still shows up with an aggressive game plan and shows it plays with heart. Not seeing that from the offense at all

My point is, if you are right, and you very well may be, there is plenty of time to bitch and whine and play the "I was right!" card.  Like the entire months of November, December, January, all the way up to next May.

So give us a break and chill right now.  There are no prizes for being right before everyone else.  And, FYI, calling a Jets season a fail and a new Jets head coach a fail is not exactly rocket science.  My 5 year old niece called it that way and she doesn't watch football.

SAR I

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company