Jack Straw

Every Sam Darnold Completion vs Bills: A Breakdown

I've been traveling and out of action, so excuse me if this has been discussed already. But I just rewatched every Sam Darnold completion from week 1 to see if it was as bad as I remember, from a schematic standpoint, and my god, I can't believe this is what "offensive genius" Adam Gase has drawn up for today's NFL. A breakdown of Sam's 28 completions:

Completions:

• Behind the line of scrimmage: 8
  • Within 0-5 yards of the line of scrimmage: 16
  • Between 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage: 2
  • Longer than 10 yards: 2 (let the record show, the two longest completions were throw that traveled 11 yards past the line of scrimmage). 

I know the protection sucks and all that, but how about drawing up some rollouts or getting Sam on the move to buy receivers time to get downfield? Jeremy Bates looks like Bill Walsh when comparing his offense to Gase's, and Jeremy Bates is a granola eating loser who is rightfully out of the NFL.

I know it's early, but I have exactly zero faith in Gase and I've seen no evidence that he's an offensive guru who will get the best out of Darnold. I don't care that he's playing with backup QBs. His week one game plan blew donkey balls, and the tape below proves that.

• Post of the Week 3

That’s my biggest concern moving forward this season: Gase’s play calling. Anyone else remember how pissy he got post game over not hitting the one or two big plays they had drawn up? That’s because his entire offense is predicated on dink and dunk, on making his skill guys fight for yards instead of putting them in position to make plays. Someone here joked about getting DT and how Gase was going to pretend DT was still 25 (and not coming off an Achilles tear) and throw him WR screens. Sure enough the only pass to DT was a WR screen. Yeah, a few times of game a Gase offense will try to catch the defense falling asleep and throw downfield, but what we saw last year  in Miami and week 1 was the same sh*t. Some pretend once we get a healthy Darnold back Gase  will suddenly open up the play calling and all will be well. I’m not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

That’s my biggest concern moving forward this season: Gase’s play calling. Anyone else remember how pissy he got post game over not hitting the one or two big plays they had drawn up? That’s because his entire offense is predicated on dink and dunk, on making his skill guys fight for yards instead of putting them in position to make plays. Someone here joked about getting DT and how Gase was going to pretend DT was still 25 (and not coming off an Achilles tear) and throw him WR screens. Sure enough the only pass to DT was a WR screen. Yeah, a few times of game a Gase offense will try to catch the defense falling asleep and throw downfield, but what we saw last year  in Miami and week 1 was the same sh*t. Some pretend once we get a healthy Darnold back Gase  will suddenly open up the play calling and all will be well. I’m not holding my breath.

Exactly right. He spends the entirety of the game dinking and dunking, with hopes of setting the defense up for a big play - but if those big plays are missed, the offense isn't scoring.

It's like a boxer who spends the majority of 10 rounds getting beat up, waiting for his opportunity to counter-punch to deliver a knockout blow. Sure, that's a strategy, but if you swing and miss, you're going to lose the fight on points 10 times out of 10.

should look at the incompletes as well....

1q- underthrow to RA that coulda been a TD. not a horrible throw, but underthrown and RA could do a better job at tryna fight back for it.

3q deep out ~ 13 yds, Sam throws a ground ball under no pressure.

4q RA open x2 deep, one underthrown grossly, one overfthrown...   shrug

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

You had Mono...didn't you?

Taps nose oh yeah, Mono, yeah mono..

One thing I was struck by, which I didn't remember at all - he actually had decent pockets on lots of his completions.  Obviously it's looking at a very biased sample if you only look at plays where he completes the pass, but the protection wasn't nearly as horrible as I remembered...

After further review, "Gase sucks." As I said before. We can't win without passes over 10 yds.

• Upvote 1