NFL Owners propose 17 game regular season, no preseason games

jetstream23

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27707277/sources-nfl-owners-proposing-17-game-slate

Sources: NFL owners proposing 17-game slate

Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

As talks continue for a new collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and the players' union, the most dramatic proposal on the table from owners is an expanded regular season to 17 games that could eliminate preseason games in their entirety, sources told ESPN.

The NFL Players Association is not interested in an expanded season, especially without a significant increase in its percentage of the revenue.

In July, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith told ESPN's Cameron Wolfe that the idea of a then-discussed 18-game schedule would not be in the players' best interest.

The Athletic first reported the owners' push for a 17-game regular season.

NFL owners had imposed the start of the season as a deadline for a new CBA, and even though the 2019 season is underway without a new deal, sources on both sides believe that important progress has been made and a deal is getting closer.

There even are those who believe that the CBA stands a strong chance of getting done this season, sources told ESPN.

For now, both parties are committed to talking and will resume discussions after Smith finishes his annual visit with each of the 32 NFL teams.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, pitted against each other during talks on the commissioner's contract a couple of years ago, are leading the way to push through a new CBA at some time this season, league sources said.

The current CBA between NFL players and owners expires after the 2020 season.

One more game is great for us fans. I wonder if they're going to add a second bye week?

Not having to watch preseason games is also a win, they've become meaningless. Teams would get more from scrimmaging against each other during camp time.

STH's not having to pay for them is terrific. Nothing bothered me more when I owned mine then having to pay full freight for that garbage. I had a hard time giving them away.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I guess the TV rights to an extra week of regular season games will pay the owners more than 4 weeks of ticket sales and tv rights to 4  Pre-season games.  

The real fan has already been basically cut out of the tix any way. They can also increase ticket prices and spread it across 17 games. 

• Thumb Down 1

51 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So the first few games will be preseason and when do they cut down the teams?

all yet to be explained.  Can't wait to hear how any player or team will be ready for the season.  Maybe a series of scrimmages with other teams?

1 hour ago, Butterfield said:

Would be interesting if every team had a neutral site game

I agree.  That would be kinda cool and an interesting way to expose different parts of the country (or the world) to NFL football.  The logistics would be tough though.  We saw what a debacle that preseason game in Canada was with the Packers.  The field was the wrong size, the Packers ended up sitting Aaron Rodgers, etc.

But there are some opportunities for creativity....and controversy here.  How about putting the Rams vs. the Cardinals in St. Louis, the previous home city for both of those teams?  How about a game in Miami, FL between the Jets and Colts....the site of Super Bowl III, etc.

How about some games at big-time college football stadiums in states that don't have NFL teams....Nebraska, Iowa (@HawkeyeJet ), Oregon, Alabama, etc.?

• Upvote 2

I'm all for more real football games for the season ticket dollar but I struggle to understand an imbalanced schedule.

Would you play a team in the opposing conference in a different division than the rotation that finished in the same place as you did?  (This year we play the NFCE so would we play the 4th place team in the NFCW?)

Would you play a home-and-home with an AFC team in a different division that finished in the same place you did?  (This year we play the Raiders, so would we play them twice?)

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree.  That would be kinda cool and an interesting way to expose different parts of the country (or the world) to NFL football.  The logistics would be tough though.  We saw what a debacle that preseason game in Canada was with the Packers.  The field was the wrong size, the Packers ended up sitting Aaron Rodgers, etc.

But there are some opportunities for creativity....and controversy here.  How about putting the Rams vs. the Cardinals in St. Louis, the previous home city for both of those teams?  How about a game in Miami, FL between the Jets and Colts....the site of Super Bowl III, etc.

How about some games at big-time college football stadiums in states that don't have NFL teams....Nebraska, Iowa (@HawkeyeJet ), Oregon, Alabama, etc.?

That would be a home run in the state of Iowa.  Lots of Bears, Packers, Vikings fans in Iowa.  Chiefs too, but not as those other 3.  Kinnick is certainly equipped to handle it.

Bringing the Iowa Wave to the NFL would be amazing as well