Avery Williamson has to know he's toast

Jetster

With Hewitt getting a lot of work, Copeland coming back, Cashman standing out, cutting Williamson saves us 6.5 million with no cap hit so he's a goner. I think the Jets will take the 12 million cap hit to cut Trumaine & save 3 million. Leo 14.2 million. Net gain of 23.7 million to fill some holes (Oline/CB/WR). It's a windfall of cap cash that this year is like opening the window & tossing it into the wind. 

• Upvote 3

Williamson will be playing for another team in 2020.  No doubt about it. 

Not his fault, although he would have probably been expendable in 2020 even if he was not injured. 

He was a good, valuable player when he was healthy.  But you can't pay him when you are paying Mosley basically 2x what ILBs usually get. 

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

With Hewitt getting a lot of work, Copeland coming back, Cashman standing out, cutting Williamson saves us 6.5 million with no cap hit so he's a goner. I think the Jets will take the 12 million cap hit to cut Trumaine & save 3 million. Leo 14.2 million. Net gain of 23.7 million to fill some holes (Oline/CB/WR). It's a windfall of cap cash that this year is like opening the window & tossing it into the wind. 

The money is fine, but the Jets need to completely stop signing 0 and 1 day big ticket FAs. In the history of the NFL there have only been a few that were worth their contracts and signing them comes with gigantic opportunity cost. Learn from the **CHeatriots** and build solid versatile depth everywhere, and once you have that leverage the compensatory process increase the depth and find some elite players.

• Upvote 2

Just now, jetstream23 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing him stay if he's $6.5M.  The idea of Jenkins, Mosely, Williamson, Copeland always kind of intrigued me behind a line that would include some subset of Anderson, McClendon, Leo, QW.

I think Hewitt has done a very admirable job and Cashman should hopefully only get better, but having "optionality" at LB isn't a bad thing.  What I mean is by keeping Williamson maybe that gives Gregg Williams a chance to look at play Cashman on the outside.  He's tenacious, a good tackler and pretty good in coverage.  He also seems to have "game speed" even if he timed only average on things like the 40.  I wouldn't be surprised if transitioned well to the outside, even if he's a little undersized.

I like Avery a lot. We can save a lot of cap on cutting Winters,Beachum and Osemele as we revamp the OL so not sure if we’d need to cut Avery. It depends on if we commit to a 4-3 or if someone really steps up and he becomes expendable. You need 2 quality ILBs in a 3-4 AND depth so I’m not against keeping him.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I like Avery a lot. We can save a lot of cap on cutting Winters,Beachum and Osemele as we revamp the OL so not sure if we’d need to cut Avery. It depends on if we commit to a 4-3 or if someone really steps up and he becomes expendable. You need 2 quality ILBs in a 3-4 AND depth so I’m not against keeping him.

This will make people cringe, but we're going to need a NT at some point.  No, I'm not saying use a 1st or 2nd Day pick on one, rather something like a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder...or maybe a decent FA.  But in a perfect world the following happens:

1. QW gets healthy, starts playing and by November we know that he's AT LEAST as good as Leo and a replacement for him.

2. The Jets trade Leo by the late November deadline, hopefully for something like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

3. Knowing that McClendon isn't getting any younger and trading Leo, the Jets find a good big-bodied NT late in the Draft or a Tier 2 Free Agent in the Spring to put on the field with Henry Anderson, Quinnen, etc.

The net result would be accumulating a draft pick for Leo and getting younger and cheaper on the DLine, without using significant Draft capital or FA money.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

This will make people cringe, but we're going to need a NT at some point.  No, I'm not saying use a 1st or 2nd Day pick on one, rather something like a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder...or maybe a decent FA.  But in a perfect world the following happens:

1. QW gets healthy, starts playing and by November we know that he's AT LEAST as good as Leo and a replacement for him.

2. The Jets trade Leo by the late November deadline, hopefully for something like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

3. Knowing that McClendon isn't getting any younger and trading Leo, the Jets find a good big-bodied NT late in the Draft or a Tier 2 Free Agent in the Spring to put on the field with Henry Anderson, Quinnen, etc.

The net result would be accumulating a draft pick for Leo and getting younger and cheaper on the DLine, without using significant Draft capital or FA money.

We SHOULD be able to find a quality veteran NT in FA. Older DTs tend to get the job done in a 3-4.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Beerfish said:

ilbs are non premium positions so the fact we paid so much for williamson and mosley is the normal mccagnan move.

ILB's are one of the few positions where you really  can find good payers throughout the draft.

I agree. We are built completely backwards BUT we aren’t going to find too many players in FA worth acquiring or at premium positions. I don’t think it’d “kill” us to keep him for 1 more year and have a stout ILB duo. It’s not necessary and we can cut him if needed but we will have a decent amount of cap space. Our only 3 FAs to consider resigning are Robbie, Jordan Jenkins and Shell. I’d be very firm with contract numbers for them and not overpay at all. 

Cap space is an issue next year. Yeah we have $54M but only 33 players under contract. I like Williamson but for $6.5M he could be trade bait for a pick. The good news is we can save $19M by cutting Osemele and Winters. Beachum is a FA and will be gone. But overall we’re in a horrible spot. Thanks MacCagnan.

59 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing him stay if he's $6.5M.  The idea of Jenkins, Mosely, Williamson, Copeland always kind of intrigued me behind a line that would include some subset of Anderson, McClendon, Leo, QW.

I think Hewitt has done a very admirable job and Cashman should hopefully only get better, but having "optionality" at LB isn't a bad thing.  What I mean is by keeping Williamson maybe that gives Gregg Williams a chance to look at playing Cashman on the outside.  He's tenacious, a good tackler and pretty good in coverage.  He also seems to have "game speed" even if he timed only average on things like the 40.  I wouldn't be surprised if he transitioned well to the outside, even if he's a little undersized.

Average at the 40..

He ran a 4.5. He’s legit quick. He is what Darron Lee was supposed to be. Lee only ran 3/10th’s of a second quicker, at the combine. The kids very athletic, he’s got a 37.5” vert.

He beats Lee on every metric other than the 40 and broad jump.

Darron Lee combine:-

COMBINE RESULTS

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.47 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 35.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 133.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.12 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.20 SEC

Blake Cashman:-

Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
SECONDS

Bench Press
REPS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I'd keep him if healthy.   Jets will have cap room, he is a good player when healthy, and cutting him only saves 6.5.

Plus, when you keep cutting players, rather than letting their contracts expire, you can never get potential comp picks in the future.

Agreed. Would love the ILB depth chart to start next year looking like this:

Mosley \ Williamson

Hewitt \ Cashman

DEPTH! That would be a refreshing change.

• Upvote 1

Cutting Williamson should not be an option.  Try to trade him for as much as you can get or keep him around.  No reason to cut a quality defensive player over just $6.5M.  He was arguably our defensive MVP last season, and its not his fault Macc decided to make another ILB his big spending piece rather than a sorely needed pass rusher (of which there were several good ones available.  2 of them signed by the Packers).  

• Upvote 2

Going to be interesting to see how Douglas handles the OL situation.

Beachum-Shell-Kalil = UFAs in 2020

Osemele-Winters-Harrison = UFAs in 2021

Is there even one guy in this whole group of whom you'd say, "We must have this guy returning for our 2020 OL"? The closest you could say that of is Harrison, because he's so cheap he's still probably worth a roster spot as a backup. I'm sympathetic to why some are stating Douglas should cut them, but the reality is that dumping Osemele and Winters means we need to fill 5 starting OL spots for 2020 (or 4 plus guarantee Harrison a starter spot). My guess is at least one of our guards sticks until after they first find replacements in FA or the draft, and possibly beyond that if a drafted replacement is a mid-rounder who may not be start-able as a rookie. 

As far as Williamson, they don't have to make any decision on him until final roster cutdowns. They may make a decision earlier if they think they need the space for this FA period, but I doubt they will be that desperate. I suppose they could also cut him earlier if they're really worried about him re-injuring himself. I'd be far more worried about that with the likes of Enunwa, who is due about the same money in 2020. Enunwa's full salary guarantees in early March; he's a much more time-sensitive cut than Williamson (since they have another ~6 months to decide on him). 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

ilbs are non premium positions so the fact we paid so much for williamson and mosley is the normal mccagnan move.

ILB's are one of the few positions where you really  can find good payers throughout the draft.

Amazing how the defense fell apart after such a non premium position

Amazing what we learn here.  DTs, S & ILB are non premium.  6 of 11 position on defense are non premium.

The long list of great HOF ILBs who have been a part of great Ds is just a coincidence.  

There's a reasonable chance he's a cap casualty next year, but that depends on what else the team has going on. If everything is firmly under the books I'd surely keep him. If, say, they needed a little more coin to sign a decent WR or guard and they're cutting it close I might sacrifice a great to elite ILB situation for a good one with Mosley, Cashman and maybe Hewitt or somebody else.

He's a good player, I'm happy to have him and it sucks that he got injured for the year. I'd rather see him in green again but I can be sold on liberating 6.5 million for another purpose... theoretically.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The money is fine, but the Jets need to completely stop signing 0 and 1 day big ticket FAs. In the history of the NFL there have only been a few that were worth their contracts and signing them comes with gigantic opportunity cost. Learn from the **CHeatriots** and build solid versatile depth everywhere, and once you have that leverage the compensatory process increase the depth and find some elite players.

totally agree.  many of those big splash signings don't make sense.  

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Average at the 40..

He ran a 4.5. He’s legit quick. He is what Darron Lee was supposed to be. Lee only ran 3/10th’s of a second quicker, at the combine. The kids very athletic, he’s got a 37.5” vert.

He beats Lee on every metric other than the 40 and broad jump.

Darron Lee combine:-

COMBINE RESULTS

• 40 YARD DASH: 4.47 SEC
  • BENCH PRESS: 17 REPS
  • VERTICAL JUMP: 35.5 INCH
  • BROAD JUMP: 133.0 INCH
  • 3 CONE DRILL: 7.12 SEC
  • 20 YARD SHUTTLE: 4.20 SEC

Blake Cashman:-

Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
SECONDS

Bench Press
REPS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

I'll stand corrected if that's his official Combine time.  I saw some unofficial numbers and also some commentary...

Overview

Limited WILL linebacker who isn't big and isn't fast, but plays with determination and a nose for the ball. Former walk-ons usually have chips on their shoulders that are permanent fixtures and Cashman is no different. He's made the most out of every opportunity he's created for himself, but his lack of athletic traits and length create a small margin for error in his play. If he can improve in taking on blocks and play more instinctively, he could have a chance as a back-end backup and core special-teamer.

• Plays quickly but lacks true sideline-to-sideline range

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blake-cashman?id=32194341-5331-6185-2b37-0d7120bc9212