Avery Williamson has to know he's toast

Jetster

35 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'll stand corrected if that's his official Combine time.  I saw some unofficial numbers and also some commentary...

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blake-cashman?id=32194341-5331-6185-2b37-0d7120bc9212

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001020749/Blake-Cashman-runs-an-official-4-50-40-yard-dash-at-2019-combine

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This will make people cringe, but we're going to need a NT at some point.  No, I'm not saying use a 1st or 2nd Day pick on one, rather something like a 5th, 6th or 7th rounder...or maybe a decent FA.  But in a perfect world the following happens:

1. QW gets healthy, starts playing and by November we know that he's AT LEAST as good as Leo and a replacement for him.

2. The Jets trade Leo by the late November deadline, hopefully for something like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

3. Knowing that McClendon isn't getting any younger and trading Leo, the Jets find a good big-bodied NT late in the Draft or a Tier 2 Free Agent in the Spring to put on the field with Henry Anderson, Quinnen, etc.

The net result would be accumulating a draft pick for Leo and getting younger and cheaper on the DLine, without using significant Draft capital or FA money.

I think Fatukasi will be a really good nose tackle once he gains a little bit more weight and experience

• Upvote 2

I hope jd don’t think like jets fans. We got depth at mlb so let’s save money and cut the second best mlb we have. Don’t make sense unless we’re desperate for the cap space or we can trade one. other then that it’s nice to have depth with injury’s and all. But hey what do I know jmho

21 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Cap space is an issue next year. Yeah we have $54M but only 33 players under contract. I like Williamson but for $6.5M he could be trade bait for a pick. The good news is we can save $19M by cutting Osemele and Winters. Beachum is a FA and will be gone. But overall we’re in a horrible spot. Thanks MacCagnan.

I hate that I always have to be  the Mac defender but Jet fans just seem to be maniacs when it comes to him. Yes, he has signed guys to big money and they may have not panned out- that's one thing. But the way he structures his contracts are usually pretty savvy and team friendly.  Some guys we are stuck with- like Tru. And if he played up to expectations that would be fine. but the fact we can cut certain guys and not take a big cap hit is all Macc and the way he structures the deals so that the Jets are not stuck with a ton of salary at the end of the contract. 

10 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

And Beech and Shell. This roster ? 

I think people need to understand that you can't just cut everyone and the problem will go away. Beachem is still a starting NFL LT. I know it might sound 'crazy'. He's def. showing his age and can't handle a lot of the top nfl edge rushers but if he wasn't a FA, if we didn't have Edoga, he would be a decent option until the Jets drafted a replacement. 

Beachem will be gone b/c he is a FA and def not worth resigning. I think Edoga will step in at LT unless he proves he can't handle it. Shell is a FA next year and I'm guessing they let him walk.

They will need to make a decision on Winters. They save 7.5mil if they release him. Lewis and Compton have played well and one of them can be plugged in to start this season. If they prove they can be legit starters, Winters in gone. Macc structured Winters contract in such a way that there is zero dead cap if they release him.

I think Osemele stays. They can save 11mil by releasing him so maybe there will be another, better OG that they decide to sign to a long term deal but I think they just end up keeping him for one more year.   

Khalil is gone. Harrison should be starting right now and the Jets should be figuring out if he could be a starter. He worked his butt off this offseason and looked really good in preseason and was ready to start until JD signed Khalil who came in and played awful. Harrison has one more year on a cheap deal. 

The Jets will need to draft OT EARLY in 2020. That is critical b/c they don't want to overpay for a starting LT in FA and will have a need at the position. 

59 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think people need to understand that you can't just cut everyone and the problem will go away. Beachem is still a starting NFL LT. I know it might sound 'crazy'. He's def. showing his age and can't handle a lot of the top nfl edge rushers but if he wasn't a FA, if we didn't have Edoga, he would be a decent option until the Jets drafted a replacement. 

Beachem will be gone b/c he is a FA and def not worth resigning. I think Edoga will step in at LT unless he proves he can't handle it. Shell is a FA next year and I'm guessing they let him walk.

They will need to make a decision on Winters. They save 7.5mil if they release him. Lewis and Compton have played well and one of them can be plugged in to start this season. If they prove they can be legit starters, Winters in gone. Macc structured Winters contract in such a way that there is zero dead cap if they release him.

I think Osemele stays. They can save 11mil by releasing him so maybe there will be another, better OG that they decide to sign to a long term deal but I think they just end up keeping him for one more year.   

Khalil is gone. Harrison should be starting right now and the Jets should be figuring out if he could be a starter. He worked his butt off this offseason and looked really good in preseason and was ready to start until JD signed Khalil who came in and played awful. Harrison has one more year on a cheap deal. 

The Jets will need to draft OT EARLY in 2020. That is critical b/c they don't want to overpay for a starting LT in FA and will have a need at the position. 

Damn right. I think the Jets will be inposition for Andrew Thomas or Jeudy. LT first if possible, WR is huge too. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Damn right. I think the Jets will be inposition for Andrew Thomas or Jeudy. LT first if possible, WR is huge too. 

I'm not so sure. I think they end up with 6-7 wins and both Jeudy and Thomas will be off the board. However, that doesn't mean they can't get a good starting LT in the first round. T. Adams, W.Little. 

To be honest, I'd be fine with a WR even if its not Jeudy or a CB or a Pass Rusher- as long as they hit on the pick.  

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I hate that I always have to be  the Mac defender but Jet fans just seem to be maniacs when it comes to him. Yes, he has signed guys to big money and they may have not panned out- that's one thing. But the way he structures his contracts are usually pretty savvy and team friendly.  Some guys we are stuck with- like Tru. And if he played up to expectations that would be fine. but the fact we can cut certain guys and not take a big cap hit is all Macc and the way he structures the deals so that the Jets are not stuck with a ton of salary at the end of the contract. 

Mac didn’t really structure contracts any different than any other teams in the league.   The basic structures are all the same with the guaranteed money ending after year 2 or 3.  

33 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm not so sure. I think they end up with 6-7 wins and both Jeudy and Thomas will be off the board. However, that doesn't mean they can't get a good starting LT in the first round. T. Adams, W.Little. 

To be honest, I'd be fine with a WR even if its not Jeudy or a CB or a Pass Rusher- as long as they hit on the pick.  

WRs fall a lot. Where did Hopkins go? Be sweet to get Thomas & follow it up with a WR or CB at 2, Center at 3? Or suck it up & take Best Center Available at 2. Thomas- KO- ? - top free agent Guard- Edoga. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

It is getting really hard to read this forum. The D is not the problem. Even with all the injuries  and TJ just flat out sucking, they have played well enough to win games, it's  the O. Yes, let's cut Leo, Williamson, that will fix the O. 

With all the resources poured into the defense over the last 5 years, this defense ought to be playing like the f**kin Bears.  It's pathetic that the unit is not only not elite, it's below average.  

No, the D isn't our biggest problem but it is most certainly a problem.  That's what happens when you spend heavy draft capital on DT's who can't pass rush and Safeties who don't create turnovers rather than pass rushers and CB's.  

• Upvote 1

I see Avery Williamson as a must keep. The other guys are playing well but Williamson is a tackling machine. And lead us in that category last season. He isn’t flashy or anything but our D is weak without our starters. Plus I had enough with letting our good players walk. It’s not like we have plenty to spare.