Forbes Article on AG nails it...

SOJ

3 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Despite the fresh start, Mangini stuck to his tight-lipped ways, even bringing along the personal assistant, Erin O’Brien, he’d had with the Jets, dubbing her “director of team operations.” But she soon was forced out in Cleveland, a harbinger of what was to come.

Long story short—Mangini was fired by Browns owner Randy Lerner after two seasons.

Mangini was forced out by Mike Holmgren because Holmgren wanted to coach again. Stupid article.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

It’s pretty common to take the first week off during a bye week

That's what some people don't understand.  They think a Week 4 Bye is too early.  I disagree.  As Bill Parcells used to say Week 5 or so is roughly the mid-point of the football playing year for these guys.  They had mini-camp, weight lifting programs in the Spring and early Summer.  They started camp in July and it ran through August.  By the end of September (now) these guys have been going hard for about 12 weeks already.  It's not just the first 3 games that take their toll on a player's body.  A full week off now is a good thing IMO....and fortuitous for the Jets given their injuries, illnesses and myriad other issues.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mangini was forced out by Mike Holmgren because Holmgren wanted to coach again. Stupid article.

that wasn't the point of the article was it?  If that all you go out of it then enjoy watching this HC ….   

• Sympathy 2

There has never been a head coach in the NFL that was fired and hired as a head coach in the same offseason that had success with the 2nd team. 

Many coaches say that they need the time back as a coordinator to reflect, refresh their schemes and connect with coaches so they can put together a better staff. 

Maybe Gase ends up being the exception, but it seems really unlikely.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 3

CJ:  Okay Mac, our coaching list is almost set.  We have done our research and due diligence.  We will go through it one more time tomorrow and then make an offer,  Wait I have a call on my cell.  Hey!  It's from Peyton Manning!!...Whats that Peyton?   Okay, sure thing!  Good bye.....Mac move Gase from 4th to the top of the list.  Make him an offer tomorrow morning.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Meh article. I already had a working hypothesis that Gase wouldn't do anything differently than he did in Miami, mostly because he's got the same personality as some of the best web developers I've ever worked with... problem is, they were GREAT individual contributors. Capable of expert-level coding, because they were on-spectrum just enough to be brilliant at the one thing their mind fully invested in. 

The problem they had was with empathy, self-awareness, inclusiveness and leadership. So, as bad managers do, they promoted these experts to be directors themselves, because "that's what you do with your best senior level people". They were horrendous managers. Most of them failed their way back to IC roles. Which is the best thing for them and their employer anyway. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I originally liked the Gase hire but I admit I was wrong. We have all been duped by this guy. The only thing he has done that helped the Jets is get rid of Mr. MacCoffee. The jury is still out on Joe Douglas. Face it Jet fans - just like Chris Johnson we fell into Gases trap. What kind of a head coach lets his offensive line perform the way they have no matter who is playing there. He sukkks!

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, SOJ said:
source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jppelz...ew-york-jets-the-exact-same-way/#2ff91fdc1937

By Adam Gase’s own admission, his offensive line’s “techniques and fundamentals just were not there” when the Jets allowed five sacks to New England on Sunday.

Gase is not going to throw the OL under the bus. He's protecting the talent-less bums he *INHERITED* and has to live with this season.

Give JD and AG a chance to pick their own players, there is no magic wand where Gase can 'coach them up'. You can put lipstick on a pig but it'll always be a pig.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Larz said:

It’s pretty common to take the first week off during a bye week

Its mandatory to have 4 or 5 consecutive days off for the bye week... I forget if its 4 or 5... blame the CBA.

Edit: http://www.toddstake.com/2015/01/07/bye-week-disadvantage/

Its 4 

Section 2.
Bye Weeks:
During any regular season bye week period occurring during the term of this Agreement, players will be given a minimum of four consecutive days off.  Such four day period must include a Saturday and a Sunday unless the Club is scheduled to play a game on the Thursday following the bye week, in which case players may be required to report to the Club on the Sunday preceding the Thursday game. In such an event, the four day period shall be Wednesday through Saturday. Any injured player may be required to undergo medical or rehabilitation treatment during such four day period provided that such treatment is deemed reasonably necessary by the Club’s medical staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

10 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Meh article. I already had a working hypothesis that Gase wouldn't do anything differently than he did in Miami, mostly because he's got the same personality as some of the best web developers I've ever worked with... problem is, they were GREAT individual contributors. Capable of expert-level coding, because they were on-spectrum just enough to be brilliant at the one thing their mind fully invested in. 

The problem they had was with empathy, self-awareness, inclusiveness and leadership. So, as bad managers do, they promoted these experts to be directors themselves, because "that's what you do with your best senior level people". They were horrendous managers. Most of them failed their way back to IC roles. Which is the best thing for them and their employer anyway. 

Empathy is over rated.  http://bostonreview.net/forum/paul-bloom-against-empathy

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jetsyrup said:

There has never been a head coach in the NFL that was fired and hired as a head coach in the same offseason that had success with the 2nd team. 

Many coaches say that they need the time back as a coordinator to reflect, refresh their schemes and connect with coaches so they can put together a better staff. 

Maybe Gase ends up being the exception, but it seems really unlikely.

That's how I feel.  I think a first time HC who gets fired should go back to being an assistant for one or more years and have time to reflect on what he did wrong and how he could change for the better.  Hiring one right away does not allow for that.

Herm Edwards and Rex Ryan fall into that category, too. It sure looked like neither guy learned a thing after getting fired from his first gig, the Jets.

Gase seems similarly pigheaded, though he deserves more than just 3 games here. I hope I'm wrong about him and he ends up a fine coach for the Jets.

13 hours ago, RobR said:

It's also part of the CBA. Players of every single team must receive four consecutive days off with one of those days being Saturday. So everyone giving Gase sh*t because he gave them some time off has no idea what they're talking about. It's mandatory.

Correct.   The consecutive days off must include a Saturday and Sunday I believe.  

12 hours ago, New York Mick said:

This is obviously made up lies. Gase is a football god that walks on water and farts fruity pebble’s. Nothing is his fault. It’s bad luck or god. Where’s Jetsnut and Sar? Gase is being talked bad about, come save him. 

10 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Its mandatory to have 4 or 5 consecutive days off for the bye week... I forget if its 4 or 5... blame the CBA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

1. Criticizes financial merit of PSL’s. 
2. Relies on Forbes for sports. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I have some major concerns about Gase, but I agree with the decision to give them the week off. For this team to have any chance to compete going forward, they need to get some key starters back. 

The depth on this team is abysmal. 

Problem is we took the first 3 weeks of the season off too (aside from the first half against Buffalo).  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

You need 4 consecutive days off which includes a saturday and a sunday so they could've practiced for monday Tuesday wednesday but then you are limited in the amount of full pad practices for the year. Why waste practices 2 weeks before the game? They do film study and game planning for those days and are off the rest of the week. Dumb article. The entire NFL does it this way. Do some research Forbes.

Edit: Not a fan of Gase, still stupid article