Sign in to follow this  
Apache 51

As Jets’ Sam Darnold tries to return from mono vs. Eagles, here’s how he can still make a huge leap in 2019

As Jets’ Sam Darnold tries to return from mono vs. Eagles, here’s how he can still make a huge leap in 2019

Today 6:01 AM 

The Jets’ Week 4 bye couldn’t have come at a better time.

Not only are they 0-3 — and desperately needing a breather, after a brutal start to coach Adam Gase’s first season — but the early bye gave quarterback Sam Darnold an extra week to recover from mono.

The Jets hope Darnold can return from a two-game absence next Sunday at the Eagles. And even though there is essentially zero chance the Jets reach the playoffs this season, Darnold still has plenty of time to thrive in his second year. A two-game absence shouldn’t derail things.

All along, everybody wondered if Darnold could take a big leap in Year 2, just as the Eagles’ Carson Wentz and Rams’ Jared Goff recently did — thanks partly to their quarterback-friendly, offensive guru head coaches. (And the Jets believe they found one of those, in Gase.)

Darnold has 13 games left (presuming he returns in Philadelphia, as planned) to make the most of 2019. No, he isn’t going to be a cure-all for a Jets team that still has major issues with its pass rush, cornerbacks, and offensive line. But if Gase can emerge from this season with seven or eight wins and a large step forward from Darnold, that should be considered progress.

So how can it happen?

Well, Darnold does need help.

Gase’s offensive line has been a mess to date, with out-of-retirement center Ryan Kalil looking overmatched at times. Until Gase can sort things out up front, he needs to help Darnold by moving the pocket and having him run some of the roll-out type plays that he looked so comfortable running last season.

And with receiver Quincy Enunwa (neck) out for the season, Darnold needs Robby Anderson to show he’s more than just a deep threat. Hasn’t happened so far. The Week 6 return of tight end Chris Herndon from a four-game suspension (DWI crash) will be critical, because it looks like the Jets aren’t getting much from receiver Demaryius Thomas, who is on his last legs.

Above all else, Darnold needs major contributions from running back Le’Veon Bell — in both the rushing and passing games. That would take a ton of pressure off Darnold.

If Darnold can get the help he needs from his line, Gase, and his skill position teammates, it’ll be on Darnold to develop in the areas that he pinpointed this offseason. Primarily, he wanted to have quieter feet in the pocket, which would help him not rush decisions in hectic moments (and there will be plenty of those if this line continues to stink).

It’s worth remembering that Darnold has played just 14 NFL games — 13 last year and the opener this year, when he was fighting the onset of mono. When that illness is fully behind him — and he won’t be cleared until it is — he’ll get an opportunity for a fresh start during the rest of this season.

It’ll be a chance to quiet his feet and make better decisions and take all the next steps that the best second-year quarterbacks have.

And It’ll be a chance to leave bitter Jets fans — and that’s all of them, since the team is 14-37 since the start of 2016 — feeling much more hopeful about the Darnold-led future.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold needs to do 3 things and he will become exponentially better immediately:

1- Step up in the pocket.  Your going to get hit in this league.  You cannot be scared to step up and deliver the ball and get popped.  Darnold is a big dude.  He can take the punishment.

2- Throw the ball down the field.  Stop checking down every play.  The defense needs to account for deep plays.  It will open everything else up.

3- Throw it to your recievers in one on one coverage.  This is the nfl.  Guys arent going to be running wide open all day long.  When you see one on one coverage, throw it up and let guys make a play.  I saw mahomes do this the other day with average recievers like robinson and hardman.  If u see one on one coverage, attack it.  Put the ball up even if your reciever is covered.  Trust them to make a play.  Its hard to play db and cover in this league.  Exploit that.

Agreed. I think the problem is. 

1. What pocket? Pocket tends to collapse before he can step into it. This is why Gase needs to get creative and roll him out, do some bootlegs, heck lets see a flea flicker- do whatever it takes to divert pressure or move the pocket. 

2. Yup. But is it Darnold or Gase? That's what I wonder. Are the plays designed to be short or is it Sam choosing to go short. 

3. I think he does this for the most part. But I agree, Darnold should feel comfortable attacking one on one coverage with passes deep to Robby, passes to Crowder in the slot, passes to Bell and passes to Herndon (when he is back).

But I agree about the happy feet and the other thing is Sam tends to still throw off the back foot and rely on arm strength which often hurts his accuracy. However, that is usually when hes running for his life as protection breaks down.  

• Upvote 4

I think he'll do great on return, just like last year. He was on fire all through the end of last year, to TC, and preseason with a huge jump expected until he got mono. However, 1 eh performance while being sick does not change that trajectory imo. Not sure how the rest of the team will do, but I believe that Darnold will definitely deliver on expectations.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Darnold needs to do 3 things and he will become exponentially better immediately:

1- Step up in the pocket.  Your going to get hit in this league.  You cannot be scared to step up and deliver the ball and get popped.  Darnold is a big dude.  He can take the punishment.

2- Throw the ball down the field.  Stop checking down every play.  The defense needs to account for deep plays.  It will open everything else up.

3- Throw it to your recievers in one on one coverage.  This is the nfl.  Guys arent going to be running wide open all day long.  When you see one on one coverage, throw it up and let guys make a play.  I saw mahomes do this the other day with average recievers like robinson and hardman.  If u see one on one coverage, attack it.  Put the ball up even if your reciever is covered.  Trust them to make a play.  Its hard to play db and cover in this league.  Exploit that.

Hardman woukd be the 2nd best player on jets offense

I just hope Gase has the balls to sub in Harrison & Turner on this line. Give Sam time to make plays. Spread the ball use Bell and Montgomery properly. Take some shots down field with Anderson. Gase needs to have an effective/creative gameplan. No more of this dink n dunk BS it aint working.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

"Although there's essentially zero chance the Jets make the playoffs..." 

Fck you Daryl, you don't know the outcome of the season after 3 weeks. I remember back in the 80s we won like our first 6 or 7 games then lost our last 6 or 7 and still made the playoffs. Fck you Daryl, we've had 10 starters injured already. Yes Gase sucks....but we have good coaches on this staff also. Now I'm pissed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Butt Fumble 1

I'm confused.  Is this a somewhat positive article?  It's not doom and gloom?

There's a chance things might actually......get better???

hopeful jim carrey GIF

• Upvote 1

To get the ball downfield, Sam's going to need to channel his inner Fran Tarkenton and scramble to extend the play for his receivers. That's how our offense gets better with a poor offensive line.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

To get the ball downfield, Sam's going to need to channel his inner Fran Tarkenton and scramble to extend the play for his receivers. That's how our offense gets better with a poor offensive line.

Agree.  Gase needs to use some designed rollouts that move the pocket, either one way or the other since one thing Darnold is truly adept at is throwing while rolling either right or left.  I think the pro is that the offense knows where the play is going and can setup blocking and route-running in that direction which the defense can't plan for ahead of time.  The con is that you do shrink and concentrate the field a little bit.  It's ironic that the very first throw of Darnold's career last year in Detroit tried to do this.  It didn't work out well but I think the idea was correct.

Let's face it, for once the QB isn't our concern.  I think whether the Jets win 3 games or 7 games this season will come down to the OLine no matter what.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Fck you Daryl, you don't know the outcome of the season after 3 weeks. I remember back in the 80s we won like our first 6 or 7 games then lost our last 6 or 7 and still made the playoffs. Fck you Daryl, we've had 10 starters injured already. Yes Gase sucks....but we have good coaches on this staff also. Now I'm pissed. 

It’s Done over, They should play better later. Frankly they can’t play any worse can they..

History shows that only five out of 173 teams (2.8 percent) to start 0-3 since 1980 have rallied to make the playoffs. It hasn't been done in 20 years and only three times since the NFL went to a 12-team playoff format in 1990. Since the current division alignment went into effect in 2002, no 0-3 team has rallied to make the postseason.

• Upvote 2

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sam needs to be a praying man. He needs to  pray that his offensive line doesn’t  get him killed this season.

We will see if Sam has it when it comes to toughness for sure. I don't think I would want to be back there with his health situation even with a good OL. I'd rather do the kill'en.

25 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

It’s Done over, They should play better later. Frankly they can’t play any worse can they..

History shows that only five out of 173 teams (2.8 percent) to start 0-3 since 1980 have rallied to make the playoffs. It hasn't been done in 20 years and only three times since the NFL went to a 12-team playoff format in 1990. Since the current division alignment went into effect in 2002, no 0-3 team has rallied to make the postseason.

I remember the 99 Jets. We won like 6 of our last 7 and only missed the playoffs by 1 game. It can be done. We had Ray Lucas then.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

I remember the 99 Jets. We won like 6 of our last 7 and only missed the playoffs by 1 game. It can be done. We had Ray Lucas then.

I respect your passion, and devotion and positive vibe, but I'm not seeing it...

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I respect your passion, and devotion and positive vibe, but I'm not seeing it...

I honestly feel we just need 1 win. That win can give us confidence even Gase might start to learn what he did right to get a victory. Its possible. I'm tired of the seasons being over as soon as they start. I waited a 5 year offseason of boredom anxiously waiting for this team to start over. Don't roll over already!

• Upvote 2

"Essentially zero" chance of the playoffs??  Sheesh, people are so bipolar.  If the jets Oline starts playing like they've actually met each other before, and Darnold plays like he did last year and/or improves, the Jets can easily finish 9-7 or 10-6.  Now those are two big ifs - but there's more than a zero percent chance that they both happen...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We need to throw our new receivers into the fire. Smith and Malone. Let them make their mistakes. If they have an interest in being quality players, by the end of the year we'll know what we have with those two.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Step up? Sure he can but might be tough with loaded box and poor blocking.  It sure I'm with you here.

Throw downfield? Would be great but none of our plays design open recievers nor does Gase have anyone running routes past the line.

Literally almost every team has open guys all year. Design scheme plays that use some direction. Not just wrs wide open but te too.

You mention hardman and Robinson. Besides bell. We don't have anyone on the team close to these guys.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, thshadow said:

....the Jets can easily finish 9-7 or 10-6.....

:-k

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, thshadow said:

"Essentially zero" chance of the playoffs??  Sheesh, people are so bipolar.  If the jets Oline starts playing like they've actually met each other before, and Darnold plays like he did last year and/or improves, the Jets can easily finish 9-7 or 10-6.  Now those are two big ifs - but there's more than a zero percent chance that they both happen...

money where mouth is? i got $100 says Jets dont make playoffs.

Best thing for Darnold is to demand a trade and get as far away from the Jets as possible.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TNJet said:

Adam Gase, isn’t Bill Parcells.

• Upvote 3

Hmmmmmm you can't be an outstanding and truly effective QB over the long haul if your OL stinks!

PERIOD!!!!

People live in a fantasy you can't step up in the pocket when your OL is a literal sieve! 

Think is that what Brady has done to be claimed to be the GREATEST QB of ALL TIME? 

That is, just step up in the pocket and get creamed behind an inadequate OL all these years?

If Brady hasn't performed like that then I think it is literal insanity to somehow believe that Sam will perform better than Brady has in just his second year.

Talk about unreasonable expectations, Darnold is good but he isn't that good that he can make up for what so far has been the worst OL in he NFL.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

money where mouth is? i got $100 says Jets dont make playoffs.

Well, if you think there's essentially a zero percent chance, then you should give me like 1,000 to 1 odds.  So sure, I'll put up $0.10.

I'm not saying they *will* make the playoffs, but I'd say that like 20:1 to 10:1 odds would be fair.

I just think it's stupid when people say "OMG the season is over", when honestly our chances of making the playoffs is only a little bit worse than it was when the season started...

6 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Well, if you think there's essentially a zero percent chance, then you should give me like 1,000 to 1 odds.  So sure, I'll put up $0.10.

I'm not saying they *will* make the playoffs, but I'd say that like 20:1 to 10:1 odds would be fair.

I just think it's stupid when people say "OMG the season is over", when honestly our chances of making the playoffs is only a little bit worse than it was when the season started...

Where did I say there was ZERO chance?  I am not the OP.  I'll give you 2:1 odds.

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Where did I say there was ZERO chance?  I am not the OP.  I'll give you 2:1 odds.

No way in hell would I take 2:1... :-)

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He can do a 4th thing: not have Mono.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TNJet said:

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr

12 hours ago, thshadow said:

Not essentially. Just zero.

• Upvote 1