Head Coaching rumors (2019-2020)

jetstream23

Just general rumors around the NFL and college football linkages.  Thought this was interesting...

IMG_8427.thumb.jpg.24562d3905008b615763343a98360e93.jpg

My guess in terms of teams that could make a HC switch if they underperform and might want an offensive-minded guy like Riley at the helm...

• Redskins - Jay G is on the hot seat and a QB guru to work with Haskins might be desired there
  • The 1-2 Titans if they want someone to resurrect Mariota, assuming they retain Mariota (although I don't think Vrabel is necessarily a bad coach)
  • Atlanta Falcons - I know they're just 3 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance but that offense is underachieving IMO. Dan Quinn's squad over the last 4 seasons has gone from 11 wins to 10 to 7 and now sits at 1-2 currently.  That's a Rex Ryan-like trajectory. 

I'm not speculating about any first year guys like Gase (0-3), Kingsbury (1-2), Taylor (0-3) at this point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, varjet said:

I don’t see any of the first year coaches getting fired, except for perhaps Kitchens.  I can see the Browns doing that.  

Gase will really need to shoot himself for the rest of the year to get fired.  It could happened if he keeps blaming players publicly for problems.  Just play the tape in the meetings like Williams does.  You don’t need to blame them in the media.  People hate that. 

Kitchens is going to be the fall guy in Cleveland 

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t see any of the first year coaches getting fired, except for perhaps Kitchens.  I can see the Browns doing that.  

Gase will really need to shoot himself for the rest of the year to get fired.  It could happened if he keeps blaming players publicly for problems.  Just play the tape in the meetings like Williams does.  You don’t need to blame them in the media.  People hate that. 

Agree 100%.  You can be upfront and honest about it but you don't need to single guys out or harp on it.  It's easy to say, "We lost today's game for three main reasons.  I didn't call the right plays at the right time on two second half drives.  We turned the ball over too much.  Some things that should have worked had execution problems or missed assignments that kept them from working."  That's it.

But let me throw this out there....and it may be worrisome.  If Gase really wants to open Pandora's box, be blunt and start sharing what some of us might be thinking, he'd say, "We've had some missed blocking assignments at times that have really hurt us.  The challenge is multiple.  We have talented players who we may be asking to do things they're not completely comfortable with (zone blocking, man blocking, etc.), we may not be teaching the right technique for some of the things we're calling.  At times we may be calling plays that are conducive to how our OLine can block but are not conducive to how our skill players play best (Bell's running style).  So many of our problems are a Catch-22."  This can be a little different than the common refrain of, "Good coaches can coach to their players' strengths and adapt their system to what the players do well."  I largely agree with that approach, however, what if some of your players do one thing well and others do another thing well?  For which players do you modify the system to benefit?  Do you call blocking schemes that Bell likes but your OLine can't execute, or do you use blocking approaches that your OLine can execute but they limit what Bell can do, the way Darnold likes to rollout, etc.?

This would mean we potentially have a situation that cannot be recovered from until personnel changes are made in the offseason and the players can be better aligned with where the coaching wants them to go.  I'm not saying this is definitely the situation we have but let's remember the cast of characters on offense....With a new HC, a new OC, a new OLine coach, there's also a new OG, a new Center, a new RB, etc.  In fact, they're all new to each other under Gase and we've had to pivot to a QB3 in the 1st Quarter of the 2nd game who plays differently than the QB the offense was formed around over the Summer.

Wow...I really strayed off here.  I guess I'm saying that I agree, Gase won't get fired this year, and I also agree that he can communicate better without throwing players under the bus....but if the problems on offense are complex and not easily solvable then I understand his frustration with some players not being able to execute what he's trying to do.

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  He’s been there forever and has won nothing

2.  He’s there just because he’s a puppet and sucks

3.  Jones has reached out to Riley according to reports

1. He’s been winning and winning now 

2. He doesn’t suck he’s actually a good coach

3. The “reports” you are citing are from last year before the Cowboys made the playoffs and this year they probably go 12-4

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

1. He’s been winning and winning now 

2. He doesn’t suck he’s actually a good coach

3. The “reports” you are citing are from last year before the Cowboys made the playoffs and this year they probably go 12-4

He's had 2 playoff wins in 9.5 years.

If Gase were here that long with those results this place would blow up.

Garrett sucks

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Gase and Douglas are very close.  If Gase falters Douglas will get to pick his own coach, but he's going to give the guy more than one injury riddled season with a talentless team.

The benefit of the coach hiring his own gm in the dysfunctional ny jets org.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Harbaugh is the most overrated blowhard on the face of this planet.  This is coming from someone who used to defend the guy left and right.

Agreed. Overrated and all fluff. They gave the whole operation to him in Ann Arbor on a silver platter and he is blowing it big time. If he loses to Ohio State this year he is GONE.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The browns are hiring Riley after this season goes up in flames

that will be the Baker fanboyclub talking point next 12 months “just let him run Riley’s system”

The problem with that line of thinking is Baker won't be playing the Big 12 defenses every week which is why he looked so good in college and neither will Riley be facing big 12 defenses each week.

Why exactly would Lincoln Riley leave Oklahoma?  Money certainly isnt the issue and he will be a top 10 team every year he stays there, no question.

If he ultimately wants to be an NFL coach, then I understand him eventually leaving, and at that point 70% of the teams in the league would probably offer him $10 million per, and he would have his choice of who he wants to coach, which makes Cleveland seem like the best choice.  Zero chance he would join that mess in Washington.  

15 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just general rumors around the NFL and college football linkages.  Thought this was interesting...

IMG_8427.thumb.jpg.24562d3905008b615763343a98360e93.jpg

My guess in terms of teams that could make a HC switch if they underperform and might want an offensive-minded guy like Riley at the helm...

• Redskins - Jay G is on the hot seat and a QB guru to work with Haskins might be desired there
  • The 1-2 Titans if they want someone to resurrect Mariota, assuming they retain Mariota (although I don't think Vrabel is necessarily a bad coach)
  • Atlanta Falcons - I know they're just 3 years removed from a Super Bowl appearance but that offense is underachieving IMO. Dan Quinn's squad over the last 4 seasons has gone from 11 wins to 10 to 7 and now sits at 1-2 currently.  That's a Rex Ryan-like trajectory. 

I'm not speculating about any first year guys like Gase (0-3), Kingsbury (1-2), Taylor (0-3) at this point.

If the Titans fire their HC, I'd immediately fire Gase and hire Vrabel.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Why exactly would Lincoln Riley leave Oklahoma?  Money certainly isnt the issue and he will be a top 10 team every year he stays there, no question.

If he ultimately wants to be an NFL coach, then I understand him eventually leaving, and at that point 70% of the teams in the league would probably offer him $10 million per, and he would have his choice of who he wants to coach, which makes Cleveland seem like the best choice.  Zero chance he would join that mess in Washington.  

Agreed.  This isn’t the same scenario as Kingsburry.  Riley has a National Championship caliber program, will make more than an NFL HC and is a God in Oklahoma.   

23 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Agreed.  This isn’t the same scenario as Kingsburry.  Riley has a National Championship caliber program, will make more than an NFL HC and is a God in Oklahoma.   

He's making more than Bob Stoops ever was without a Nat'y...highest paid coach in the Big 12.  Dude doesnt even need to recruit QB's anymore, just wait for who you get in the transfer portal.  Big 12 schedule, playoffs every year.  Why would you leave?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

He's making more than Bob Stoops ever was without a Nat'y...highest paid coach in the Big 12.  Dude doesnt even need to recruit QB's anymore, just wait for who you get in the transfer portal.  Big 12 schedule, playoffs every year.  Why would you leave?

He’s making $6 million per year right now, if he wins a Natty that will surely go up.   Plus, all he has to do is say he is remotely interested in coaching in the NFL and they’ll throw more money at him.