Head Coaching rumors (2019-2020)

jetstream23

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Gotta be honest...it landed us Joe Douglas.  The Gase hire alone is worth that.  I really really really loved Joe D.

Agreed. If the offense continues to look the way it has (historically bad), I honestly don’t see HOW Gase is back. If Joe Douglas is who we think he is, he’s not going to waste Darnold’s development/rookie contract on historically bad.

He’s also not going to waste years of his own GM contract on a coach he didn’t hire. His long contract was such a critical issue in his hire, because he knew he had a coach that he didn't on a new contract, coupled with a sh*t roster. He didn’t the extra years in case Gase face-planted. 

I’m aware they’re friends. There’s a lot of people in my field that I’m friends with who I wouldn’t hire to senior leadership roles though, even if they championed to have me work as their boss. 

Gase is getting Darnold back next game or game after. He’ll have the rest of the season to prove if he deserves Year 2. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Gotta be honest...it landed us Joe Douglas.  The Gase hire alone is worth that.  I really really really loved Joe D.

Exactly, just getting rid of the troglodyte Maccagnan makes the Gase hire totally worth it.  I also think there is a high probability that Douglas will start accumulating a mythic creature not known well in Jetland, they are the foundation for building any football team, their name is Olinemen.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He’s making $6 million per year right now, if he wins a Natty that will surely go up.   Plus, all he has to do is say he is remotely interested in coaching in the NFL and they’ll throw more money at him.  

Yep.  And I think times are just different.  You dont see coaches making the jump anymore.  I dont think the allure of the NFL is as great as it used to be.  Some of these programs have more than the NFL teams.  Better facilities, bigger stadiums, better TV contracts, just as much money, just as much notoriety, more control, more stable, no CBA, no crazy Czar...a million reasons why you should stay in the NCAA if you have a great situation.  

Who was the last notable coach to go from college to pro?  Pete Carroll?  And he was in the NFL for 20 years before he went to USC and back.

17 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Do not think Gase is getting fired but Douglas could want his own guy. He's here for the long haul. So he may want to get the guy he wants. Never know. 

that could actually be.  tanny dumped mangini after 3 seasons.  of course that was probably from on high but douglas does work for the johnsons. if he can't make a case to keep gase then there will be a change.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

And if they switch rosters, does Kitchens still win?

What is confusing, @Fantasy Island?  Your "source" is weak. Kitchens has a much better roster-- were being predicted to win the division, etc. All pretty healthy when we played. I am not even defending Gase, just trying to get a better idea of your point.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Drums said:

And if they switch rosters, does Kitchens still win?

What is confusing, @Fantasy Island?  Your "source" is weak. Kitchens has a much better roster-- were being predicted to win the division, etc. All pretty healthy when we played. I am not even defending Gase, just trying to get a better idea of your point.

Browns 40, Ravens 25

We might not score 40 in the next 4 games combined.  Gase is hot trash!!!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Browns 40, Ravens 25

We might not score 40 in the next 4 games combined.  Gase is hot trash!!!

Okay so I will ask my question again because you haven't answered. If you give Kitchens our roster, including our injuries, does he put up 40 on the Ravens? Please answer this time. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Based on how Kingsbury has looked so far......no way.  Not even close.

I don't think there's any reason to be down on Kingsbury already.  Kyler Murray has averaged 268 yards per game passing + 28 yards per game rushing against a pretty tough schedule and behind a subpar Offensive Line.  And their defense is simply awful.  

And in any case even if you don't like how Kingsbury looks thus far, there's no reason to be wary of Lincoln Riley because of it.  

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don't think there's any reason to be down on Kingsbury already.  Kyler Murray has averaged 268 yards per game passing + 28 yards per game rushing against a pretty tough schedule and behind a subpar Offensive Line.  And their defense is simply awful.  

And in any case even if you don't like how Kingsbury looks thus far, there's no reason to be wary of Lincoln Riley because of it.  

Same coaching tree

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Based on how Kingsbury has looked so far......no way.  Not even close.

You can't compare Riley and Kingsbury. Riley is actually good at what he does, Kingsbury was a career loser at the collegiate level.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not interested in a hyped college coach 

If Gase turns into a disaster, I want a guy with an NFL reputation, not a college one 

I think it's the NFL trend to go for the successful college coaches because it feels like (to me, at least) the NFL is becoming more like college.  The RPOs and the running QBs are 2 examples.

EDIT: Even though I really dislike Urban Meyer, I would take him in a heartbeat as HC of the NYJ.  I think he would be a great NFL HC.

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Not interested in a hyped college coach 

If Gase turns into a disaster, I want a guy with an NFL reputation, not a college one 

Normally I would agree but the game is changing. I've never seen so many QB's in the NFL working out of mainly the shotgun.

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think it's the NFL trend to go for the successful college coaches because it feels like (to me, at least) the NFL is becoming more like college.  The RPOs and the running QBs are 2 examples.

EDIT: Even though I really dislike Urban Meyer, I would take him in a heartbeat as HC of the NYJ.  I think he would be a great NFL HC.

I agree with the first part but I would never want Meyer. Meyer would probably pull a Petrino when the going got tough at this level.

1 minute ago, RobR said:

Normally I would agree but the game is changing. I've never seen so many QB's in the NFL working out of mainly the shotgun.

I hear you, but it’s not just about scheme or play style. 

Being a good NFL head coach entails so much - handling personalities/egos, managing a roster, running a training camp, motivating players, dealing with the media, making in-game adjustments, game management, play-calling, optimizing the bye week, etc.

So many college guys have come into the league and failed at a lot of this stuff. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Being a good NFL head coach entails so much - handling personalities/egos, managing a roster, running a training camp, motivating players, dealing with the media, making in-game adjustments, game management, play-calling, optimizing the bye week, etc.

So many college guys have come into the league and failed at a lot of this stuff. 

I can't argue with anything you said and like I mentioned I used too feel that way. I see teams now favoring more of a college offense and since this league is all about offense I can see some of these college guys having success in the future. The track record is against them but I'd rather be ahead of the curve than behind it.

If the Jets job opens up at the end of the season I would go hard after Riley because he's a winner and is innovative. He's turning Jalen Hurts into a Heisman candidate after doing it with Mayfield and Murray. I also think Gase is safe for another season at the very least.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

That wasn't the question either.   Gase is a bad coach and a poor hire. 

Lol. Are you scared to answer? Would Kitchens put up 40 on the Ravens with our roster? Would he beat the Browns with our roster? 

If you are going to have a weak argument like Kitchens>Gase, but can back it up, I would support it—I have an open mind—but even though Gase has shown he is questionable, I need to see what he does with at least some of the starters back. And I don’t have much faith in Kitchens either, but you need to admit he has A LOT more to work with. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Most fail because the only guys who play for them in college are their guys, players they recruit. They are owner, GM and coach all rolled into one. They don't have to put up with the aholes that pro coaches do. A player looks at you funny, he's gone. You'd be absolutely crazy to leave a big time college gig for the NFL.

7 hours ago, Drums said:

Lol. Are you scared to answer? Would Kitchens put up 40 on the Ravens with our roster? Would he beat the Browns with our roster? 

If you are going to have a weak argument like Kitchens>Gase, but can back it up, I would support it—I have an open mind—but even though Gase has shown he is questionable, I need to see what he does with at least some of the starters back. And I don’t have much faith in Kitchens either, but you need to admit he has A LOT more to work with. 

I agree he has more weapons. I just believe Kitchens would recognize that Beachum was Myles' bi*** and give him some help.  Could have been a closer game if our QB wasn't getting killed every other play.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I agree he has more weapons. I just believe Kitchens would recognize that Beachum was Myles' bi*** and give him some help.  Could have been a closer game if our QB wasn't getting killed every other play.

Missed assignments... . Splitting double teams, sorry man that is fundamental football... This line is playing Houston Texans expansion year bad... Kitchens could tell the line to help... Doesn't mean they can play their assignments. 

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

Found some interesting facts/stats about NFL head coaches...

There are currently only 8 NFL Head Coaches (out of 32) who have been with their teams since before 2015.

Jerry Glanville had it right when he said the NFL stands for Not For Long.

24 Head Coaches with their current teams for less than 5 years seems somewhat amazing, but maybe not unexpected in a league that has shown little patience.

Of the 7 coaches hired in 2019, the only one with a better 2019 record than Adam Gase (Jets) is Matt LaFleur (Packers).

Only 4 Head Coaches hired prior to 2010, are still with their current teams.  Belichick (Patriots, 2000), Payton (Saints, 2006), Tomlin (Steelers, 2007), Harbaugh (Ravens, 2008).

Out of the 4 teams in the NFC East 3 will have new Head Coaches in 2020. (Redskins, Giants, Cowboys)

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/29/2019 at 8:45 PM, slimjasi said:

The problem is the pro's do the same thing.  Look at the Jets, our last 3 hires have been glorfied coordinators that know their side of the ball and that is it.  An if you hire those guys they better be elite at their side of the ball.  I hate to once again bring up Matt Rhule but he is a head football coach that has had to literally rebuild programs.  Our current coach is a glorified oc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Found some interesting facts/stats about NFL head coaches...

Jerry Glanville had it right when he said the NFL stands for Not For Long.

24 Head Coaches with their current teams for less than 5 years seems somewhat amazing, but maybe not unexpected in a league that has shown little patience.

The stat about only 8 coaches are from before 2015 is pretty shocking. It makes me feel like we may not be as big of a dumpster fire as some on this board would make it seem.

• Upvote 2