At least we are not living through this Hell!

docdhc

+1 to OP, indeed, thank God! 
Imagine, we might be 0-3 headed towards 0-7 today if we had sig........oh, right.
Well, thank God we saved our owners money at least.  As a Fan, nothing is more important to me than how much of our Team Owners money we save for him.  
Thank God we dodged that bullet by intentionally offering that guy the most money and begging him to sign here, and yet being such a pathetic perennial loser of franchise that he opted to go elsewhere. 
That, indeed, was true front office brilliance indeed.  I'm so glad we keep dodging these bullets.

Ya know something? As odd as it is, I agree with you.
While I am still all on board with Darnold, the truth is that we don’t know what we have there. “Dodging” the Cousins bullet made us look like fools of the highest order and the only thing that was more thoroughly rubbing mud in our faces in front of the cheerleading squad was the Anthony Barr situation. At least cousins never agreed to come here.

So this stuff about thanking God for anything going on with the Jets should be on the heels of some wins or at least positive play. Jeesh!! it’s crazy. I can guarantee the Vikes fans have had more to cheer for than our little brood this season. Say what you want about cousins. We payed the number 3 pick and three seconds for our beloved Ginger. Is that not more than the $27 mil a year from the Johnson’s coffers?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I am still all on board with Darnold, the truth is that we don’t know what we have there. “Dodging” the Cousins bullet made us look like fools of the highest order and the only thing that was more thoroughly rubbing mud in our faces in front of the cheerleading squad was the Anthony Barr situation. At least cousins never agreed to come here.

So this stuff about thanking God for anything going on with the Jets should be on the heels of some wins or at least positive play. Jeesh!! it’s crazy. I can guarantee the Vikes fans have had more to cheer for than our little brood this season. Say what you want about cousins. We payed the number 3 pick and three seconds for our beloved Ginger. Is that not more than the $27 mil a year from the Johnson’s coffers?

I think we're all happy we have Sam Darnold.  Some of us are a little more hyperbole over him than others, but generally speaking, we all are happy he is the NY Jets QB for the foreseeable future and we all hope he lives up to his potential.

I can certainly understand being happy we're not in cap hell over a veteran QB, especially one who this year isn't living up to his historical production numbers.  With that said, I am pretty confident Cousins will once again be a 4,000+ yard QB with good numbers and more wins than losses by year's end.  We'll see.

What I don't get is the idea that at 0-3 we "dodged" any bullets.  We are, today, literally the worst team with the worst offense in the NFL.  We have been noncompetitive.  I.e. we suck.  There is no universe where having Cousins would make us suck more than we do today.  Our Cap hasn't been an issue in years, we consistently underspend it.  The picks we might have saved could (probably not under Macc) have been used to provide O-line and weaponz and still got us a QB prospect like Allen.  Our prospect wouldn;t have been rushed, and could have sat and learned for a year or more as needed.  It's just logicly hard to think the franchise, as as whole, would be worse off today than we are now.  

But it's fine, "what happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way " as Morpehus says.  We really should all be looking forward, not backwards.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think we're all happy we have Sam Darnold.  Some of us are a little more hyperbole over him than others, but generally speaking, we all are happy he is the NY Jets QB for the foreseeable future and we all hope he lives up to his potential.

I can certainly understand being happy we're not in cap hell over a veteran QB, especially one who this year isn't living up to his historical production numbers.  With that said, I am pretty confident Cousins will once again be a 4,000+ yard QB with good numbers and more wins than losses by year's end.  We'll see.

What I don't get is the idea that at 0-3 we "dodged" any bullets.  We are, today, literally the worst team with the worst offense in the NFL.  We have been noncompetitive.  I.e. we suck.  There is no universe where having Cousins would make us suck more than we do today.  Our Cap hasn't been an issue in years, we consistently underspend it.  The picks we might have saved could (probably not under Macc) have been used to provide O-line and weaponz and still got us a QB prospect like Allen.  Our prospect wouldn;t have been rushed, and could have sat and learned for a year or more as needed.  It's just logicly hard to think the franchise, as as whole, would be worse off today than we are now.  

But it's fine, "what happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way " as Morpehus says.  We really should all be looking forward, not backwards.  

Because we’re talking QBs, not which team has the better roster all around?

Its pretty obvious that there’s a difference 

If we had Cousins we'd be stuck in QB hell for the length of his contract. He pretty much a guy that's going to take your team to the middle. So you won't be terrible enough to get a high draft pick to select a franchise QB and you won't be great enough to ever really compete for anything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So much information to dispute the simple idea that having a higher draft pick is better than a lower draft pick for teams that have no shot at the playoffs.

The Rams' 2-14 season and RG3 trade set them up to go from the worst franchise in the league to one of the best, in the process attracting an elite coach in McVay.  You're wrong, plain and simple.  It's ok to admit that sometimes.  

So, they were set up in 2012, but sucked until 2017?  Somehow I don't see this proving that I am wrong.  They picked in the top of the draft a sh*tload of times before that, and newsflash, they sucked.  

For all the people who felt the need to constantly @Warfish re-summon me to this thread and this topic, let me show you how the QB's I liked played today:

Watson - 426 Yards, 5 TD's, 158 Rating and a win (3-2 this year).  THIS was the guy I wanted more than any in recent years.  THIS was the guy, not Cousins, I really REALLY wanted, a legit winner in college who did it right and earned it, who'd have cost us only a single first round pick, and who is turning out to be a pretty damn great QB.

Cousins - 306 Yards, 2 TD's, 138 Rating and a win (3-2 this year).  Yes, he was expensive, yes he's not perfect, but by God he nevr missed games, and he was a hell of alot better than  being 0-4.  And despite the oft-repeated claim, signing him never meant we couldn't have drafted a QB of the future.  It just meant we weren't dependant on that QB of the future from day 1.  Yeah, he had a bad game last week, he had a very good game this week.   Want to bet he wins more than he loses and goes over 4K and a 2-1 TD/INT Ratio again this year when all is said and done?

Bridgewater - 314 Yards, 4 TD's, 1 INT, a 131 Rating and a win (Saints 4-1 now).  The backup I was told over and over again that we didn't need and couldn't afford and shouldn't want.  But apparently New Orleans did.  The guy who SHOULD have been starting for the Jets this year when Darnold got his kissing cooties.  They guy we clearly could have kept, because New Orleans did exactly what people here said couldn't be done, they retained him as a backup.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:10 AM, docdhc said:

Imagine how bad it would be around here if Macc had managed to sign this guy!

Since the OP and others made this observation, Kirk Cousins has gone:

3-0 vs. the Giants, Eagles and Lions.

22-27 (81.5%) for 306 Yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, 138.6 QB rating.

22-29 (75.9%) for 333 Yards, 4 TD's, 1 INT (receivers fault 100%), 138.4 QB rating.

24-34 (70.6%) for 337 Yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT's, 141.4 QB rating.

I look forward to the day, hopefully soon, when Sam Darnold can put up regular wins and production as "bad" as this.

He’s had a good stretch no doubt about it. Obviously we love to judge on the short term in a forum like this and we won’t really know until the end of the season.  I’d still rather have the 22 year old who looks like the best Jet qb in 50 years. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Since the OP and others made this observation, Kirk Cousins has gone:

3-0 vs. the Giants, Eagles and Lions.

22-27 (81.5%) for 306 Yards, 2 TD's, 0 INT's, 138.6 QB rating.

22-29 (75.9%) for 333 Yards, 4 TD's, 1 INT (receivers fault 100%), 138.4 QB rating.

24-34 (70.6%) for 337 Yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT's, 141.4 QB rating.

I look forward to the day, hopefully soon, when Sam Darnold can put up regular wins and production as "bad" as this.

We were just talking about this. You almost have to be bipolar to consistently watch the NFL

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, docdhc said:

He’s had a good stretch no doubt about it. Obviously we love to judge on the short term in a forum like this and we won’t really know until the end of the season.  I’d still rather have the 22 year old who looks like the best Jet qb in 50 years. 

Call me greedy, I am super eager to see the best Jet QB in 50 years produce like a guy this forum thinks sucks.

I want to be able to brag about OUR QB having a run of starts like that.

10 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Did you miss last weeks game vs Dallas?

Since he came back from his foot injury last year Darnold has had one of the highest QB ratings in the league.   I get that he hasnt taken us to the playoffs yet but anybody that watches football sees that Sam is special and will have a long successful career barring injury.   Do you really not see that?

id take Sam over 3 Cousins and I think he will have a better career than Watson, and Ive liked Watson since I watched him in college.

Who did you want us to pick in last years QB class?   Clearly it wasnt Darnold

Take it easy on warfish his hero is currently stinking it up in Miami

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Call me greedy, I am super eager to see the best Jet QB in 50 years produce like a guy this forum thinks sucks.

Well the first game is done. Hopefully a week from tonight you’ll be able to brag about our guy’s 3 game stretch as well. 

On 9/30/2019 at 12:18 PM, Losmeister said:

idgaf about the fffing vikings....

2 shcitt signings...  i still think our signing is worse....we made our team worse- Vikes...  they are getting the same QBing they had, but overpaying, we are overpaying for making our D significantly worse.

You can give a f about the Vikings or dont, either way your point is still wrong 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why not give him time? He’s got one in the books to start...

18 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Jets would have an OL with Cousins and would be a better team overall - from the trade up for Sam the Colts selected:

OL Quenton Nelson
OL Braden Smith
DE Kemoko Turay
RB Jordan Wilkins
CB Rock Ya-Sin

considering the ~30M the Jets paid for Fitz and McClown - the money is not the issue

The jokes on you if you thought Maccagnan was using any of those 1st or 2nd round picks on OL that he traded away

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, shevys said:

Why not give him time? He’s got one in the books to start...

Happy to.  As long as the amount of time is reasonable, I'm fine with that.  

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Did you miss last weeks game vs Dallas?

Nope, I saw a great first half and an ineffective second half that almost gave the game away.  It's was a start.  

2 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Who did you want us to pick in last years QB class?   Clearly it wasnt Darnold

The old posts are there, I wanted Mayfield at that time.  But who I really wanted was Watson in that draft, a view I stand by. 

Like a certain Mod here at JN, Darnold wasn't my first choice, due to his turnovers primarily and where he went to school, but I'm happy enough he's our guy.  But being our guy isn't the end, now he has to produce right?  At least as much as they guy who "sucks" according to JN's assembled minds.  That's not expecting too much, is it?  To match a guy who sucks?

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Take it easy on warfish his hero is currently stinking it up in Miami

Only a hero when compared to the alternative, which I'll remind you was Geno Smith. 

Of course, Smith fans still can't own up to exactly how dead wrong they were.  

2 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

You would be a nationals fan...

What does that even mean? 

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

Well the first game is done. Hopefully a week from tonight you’ll be able to brag about our guy’s 3 game stretch as well. 

That would be great. 

It's funny how much anger these is at simply saying "I want Darnold to produce as least as well as "the guy who sucks" and who whose "hell" we avoided.  Something so basic and simply seems to engender alot of anger here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It's funny how much anger these is at simply saying "I want Darnold to produce as least as well as "the guy who sucks" and who whose "hell" we avoided.  Something so basic and simply seems to engender alot of anger here.

You seem to not really be sold on Darnold AT ALL. You (and others) just seem to not see Darnold as a future franchise QB and would still rather we had a host of other QBs who you obviously seem to think are much better. I am not exactly sure what you want to see from a young QB at all. I and many others just don't get the axe you seem intent on grinding.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Nope, I saw a great first half and an ineffective second half that almost gave the game away.  It's was a start.  

The old posts are there, I wanted Mayfield at that time.  But who I really wanted was Watson in that draft, a view I stand by. 

Like a certain Mod here at JN, Darnold wasn't my first choice, due to his turnovers primarily and where he went to school, but I'm happy enough he's our guy.  But being our guy isn't the end, now he has to produce right?  At least as much as they guy who "sucks" according to JN's assembled minds.  That's not expecting too much, is it?  To match a guy who sucks?

Only a hero when compared to the alternative, which I'll remind you was Geno Smith. 

That would be great. 

So our guy comes back from being sick with mono (which you use to say he cant stay on the field) and first game back throws for over 300 yds and leads his under dog team to a win, winning AFC offensive player of the week, and thats your summary of his play?  

Seems like youre a glass half empty guy.   You still wish we had drafted Mayfield??  You think he is going to be the better pro?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

So our guy comes back from being sick with mono (which you use to say he cant stay on the field) and first game back throws for over 300 yds and leads his under dog team to a win, winning AFC offensive player of the week, and thats your summary of his play?  

Seems like youre a glass half empty guy.   You still wish we had drafted Mayfield??  You think he is going to be the better pro?

I do, but Darnold has looked pretty good. Better than I expected given his sophomore slump his final year at USC....and the fact that he went to USC, I was indeed skeptical.

He just needs to stay on the field. So far he's a bit prone to missing games. 

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

That would be great. 

Nothing wrong with what you said here or what you've been saying. 

And Cousins has been tearing up the league over the past few weeks as well. 

They started off slow but is riding on a nice 5-2 record due to his arm, not that alleged stout defense that teams seem to be able to score on. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/3/2019 at 9:34 PM, GREENBEAN said:

Exactly. POTW

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Jets would have an OL with Cousins and would be a better team overall - from the trade up for Sam the Colts selected:

OL Quenton Nelson
OL Braden Smith
DE Kemoko Turay
RB Jordan Wilkins
CB Rock Ya-Sin

considering the ~30M the Jets paid for Fitz and McClown - the money is not the issue

I wanted Cousins.  He would have been fine and like you said we probably draft Nelson if we had signed him

That said Sam even with a mediocre OL still has a higher ceiling

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I wanted Cousins.  He would have been fine and like you said we probably draft Nelson if we had signed him

That said Sam even with a mediocre OL still has a higher ceiling

Agree, happy that the Jets have Sam but hard to say it was because of a plan, also happy to be lucky for a change but the team would have at least been watchable - the real hell might be still having Mac and Bowles, not Cousins LOL 

Cousins was a safe option at QB (something the Jets have not had for years) plus they would have saved $10m on McCown and $5m on Teddy and others...

Agree Sam has a much higher ceiling especially if JD gets him an OL

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Darnold > Watson. Watson would be garbage with the Jets O line

Don't think the Texans OL is much better, they got a boost with the Fins Fire sale but have the same FO mentality as Mac with regards to OL - terrible

Watson leads the league in sacks and has proved more durable than expected - he is playing like a big time franchise QB - not surprised after he beat Alabama in the National Championship

8 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Agree, happy that the Jets have Sam but hard to say it was because of a plan, also happy to be lucky for a change but the team would have at least been watchable - the real hell might be still having Mac and Bowles, not Cousins LOL 

Cousins was a safe option at QB (something the Jets have not had for years) plus they would have saved $10m on McCown and $5m on Teddy and others...

Agree Sam has a much higher ceiling especially if JD gets him an OL

Cousins with Nelson blocking for him and remember we also keep three second round picks not a bad plan

Definitely better than Baker playing in front of our OL in New York that would have been a debacle